Options

Backpacking and photography

124»

Comments

• Options
    richmoffittrichmoffitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Lowepro alternatives
    Seems a few people here are fans of the TLZ series of bags, and actually I was looking for an all weather verison of one at a few stores and couldn't find them (out of stock). So, I had to look for an alternative.

I settled on a Lowepro Apex 140 AW. With 2 small carabiners I was able to secure it to the chest straps of my backpack. Has anyone else tried this out? It seems pretty comfy for now, though I haven't gone on a long hike with it yet.

It will go with me on a 4 day hike along the Appalachian Trail to Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    I am a fan of the Lowe Pro 75AW, works as a belt pack, chest pack or back pack......I use 2 of them on a military pistorl belst with the accompanying pistol belt suspenders.....works great.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 6, 2007
    Well, I returned from the AT hiking trip and I feel pretty good! I brought:

In the Lowepro Apex 140AW:
    - Nikon D50
    - Nikkor 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5G ED
    - Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 D

In a standalone lens case:
    - Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO

This was all strapped to a Gregory Z 55 backpack, which has nylon loops along the shoulder straps and a belt strap (along with a ton of other straps).

In retrospect, I didn't use the prime lens very much and probably didn't need to bring it (but I got some nice plant photos with it). Can't really change lenses while walking, so I mostly used the 18-70mm. The 70-300 was occasionally useful, but I never seemed to be able to swap lenses fast enough before my targets of interest (animals) escaped from view.

The major downside I ran into was shoulder fatigue. The Apex case is comfy, but the few pounds were still enough to put pressure on my shoulders. The other downside was that I started to tear one of the loops on my pack, so now I need to do a sewing job.

All in all, I think it turned out nicely. I had a couple of close encounters sliding down rock faces, but the rubberized case took hits well. After about 20 miles of hiking, I think I'll try to reduce pack weight a little more and maybe stick to one or two lenses.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    For what its worth, the standard 5000 cubic inch backpack, used for most overnight backcountry adventures, weighs in at around 12 lbs. Here is a 3 lb 9 oz pack with 5500 ci of space. I figured this saved me about the weight of my camera equipment when trudging through the woods for multi day trips.

Yes it is made for climbing and is therefore one stuff sack. But I cramed all my camera gear in a lightweight daypack which I load on the very top of the sack for easy access. The best part is that now I have a camera bag for working out of while in the field :ivar
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    For what its worth, the standard 5000 cubic inch backpack, used for most overnight backcountry adventures, weighs in at around 12 lbs. Here is a 3 lb 9 oz pack with 5500 ci of space. I figured this saved me about the weight of my camera equipment when trudging through the woods for multi day trips.

Yes it is made for climbing and is therefore one stuff sack. But I cramed all my camera gear in a lightweight daypack which I load on the very top of the sack for easy access. The best part is that now I have a camera bag for working out of while in the field :ivar

I am looking at doing something similar but useing a belt harness system with sliplock accessories.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belts_and_Harnesses/harness/S_and_F_Vest_Harness.aspx

Idea is I can toss all the components in the large stuff sack while hiking then assemble as much or as little for actual shooting once I set up a base. Since components are slip lock or have rings I can also attach to the shoulder straps or belt to allow access to a couple of items while hiking.

This system would also be usefull at sporting events or any photojournalism work.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    I should have noted more clearly before -- my goal was to have the camera accessible without removing the backpack. I secured the camera bag to my chest by suspending it from the shoulder straps.

Marc, that pack is HUGE. 90 liters?? Good for a long multiday hike, I suppose. How do you like it for shorter trips?
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Heya! I am suprised I didnt see this post earlier. ;) I have taken lots of trips recenctly and have used 3 totally different cameras. The trips have been between 5 months and 10 days. So I hope i can give a bit of an idea what to bring if you are on a long trip where everything you own will be on your back. ;)

Digicam vs dSLR vs SLR film vs rangefinder? (For hiking and camping context.)
    Film to me on a long trip is much to annoying. Not to mention that if you are on a long trip normally you need all the money you can get. If you are on a budget buy an Ipod and get the camera picture downloading extension. Just load all your pictures onto it as you go and you wont need to spend all the money on film. Also carrying all that film you will have to worry about it in some contries as they may not have safe xray machines. I normally bring my laptop which is a real heavy one. If you have the money get a nice small sony or dell, one of the new ones where its basically just a tiny computer but you can load photoshop or the like. It is great to be able to edit your pictures on downtime. Digicams are really nice to have since they are easy to carry, if you get a small one, and when you go from a big pack to a smaller pack for easy day trips its nice to have room for food and water. I am currently backpacking and have brought a one person tent, sleeping bag, some climbing gear, and a very small amount of clothes. My bag weighs 30 kilo's when I add my laptop and camera so its not to heavy but you don't want to walk around all day with it. If you axed out the climbing gear it would probably be and extra 4 kilos or so for more lenses or equipment. Either way the lighter the better and I only have about 3 shirts 1 pant and 2 shorts plus some socks. Its hard to decide what you bring if you are travelling as such. I brought a photo book from National Geographic and havnt read it once. I also have a tiny little tripod which is about 3 inchs long and a monopod. The monopod has not helped me much sicne you cant use it as a walking stick so I don't bring it much. If you are going to be hiking definatly get one of these you will not regret it :
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/310,98114_Komperdell-Anti-Shock-Guide-Trekking-Pole-Single.html

Also my pack is an 80 Liter pack and packed completly full with my tent on the outside when all is said and done. But I am a big guy so my clothes and stuff takes up lots of space.

Your worst regret? If I only had ? I could have ?
    I only had a little money so I bought a Canon 20D. That was my best buy and I am completly happy with it. My worst regret is that I didnt have the money for a good lense or that I didnt buy another one that is better then the kit lens. It really is a crappy lens. Also I wish I had a larger range. Bringing only up to 55mm is not good. When I had the point and shoot cams I regretted not having the quailty associated with a really nice camera. It is something that when you see something incredible you will be happy you had a camera but sad you know it wont be the quailty you want it to be.

Gear on a budget? (If I only had a couple hundred to spend)
    Buy something used. For trekking its nice because you know its not brand new and you don't baby it as much (usually). Get extra batteries instead of the large battery grips. The are often heavier and larger anyway and having small batteries is a bonus. I only have two and have not yet had a problem. If you are on a budget get a small card or two (a few gigs) and bring along a laptop. If you have an ipod spend $30 on the adapter and save on buying large amounts of space. If you are completly short on money a lot of internet shops will have cd's that you can buy and burn along your journey. This even works often in foreign countries as I have seen cd's for sale in Thailand, Scotland, Costa Rica, Italy, Swiss, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Spain. Also instead of buying an expensive camera case get one that is water resistant and a waist belt. I bought one that has been my only case and It has worked great in all kinds of conditions including rain and hiking around waterfalls.
    This is the updated version of the one I bought.
    http://www.bentgate.com/auiicalupaby.html
    Pelican cases are to big and bulky to carry around in my backpack, they take up a lot of space for a single camera. Plus I only have one lens and its on the camera. If you have a big lens it wont fit on the camera and into the case. It is also a waist strap so it works great for climbing and going on treks you wont want to remove your backpack on.

Gear on deep pockets? (If I had an alomost unlimited budget, but don't want my back killing me at the eand of the day.)
    Big super comfy backpack from Osprey or Gregory. Spend the money on a good backpack with the support for an extended expedition. They know what they are doing and when you buy a backpack meant for walking around town in you will suffer. Buy atleast two lenses one long and one short. Get a fisheye as well. Great stuff in the outdoors can be done with a fisheye and thats another regret of something I dont have.

The importance of weather/water proof gear and equipment?
    Honestly I havent had to put to much thought into it. I have probably just been lucky but I don't pull my camera out all the time in the rain and the Moutain Smith case I have is partially waterproof so it works really well. Its had plenty of water on it. Plus my backpack is water resistant as well. Mainly I just air it out when i get a chance and I am good to go.

Hope some of this information helps. :)
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Marc, that pack is HUGE. 90 liters?? Good for a long multiday hike, I suppose. How do you like it for shorter trips?[/quote]

I use it for just about every overnight venture! There are certainly diff methods ideal for each length of time one spends in the woods, but I prefer to keep my systems simple. For example, by using this pack only, I am able to permanently keep many small necessary items in the pack. This allows me to be able to grab that one pack, stuff food camera gear and cloths in and I am ready, no more wandering around my house wondering what I am going to forget this time headscratch.gif

The Epson viewer is one piece of equipment that has become a must for me, it also provides entertainment during the evening hoursmwink.gif Cigar is optional.

174758690-S.jpg

This fella brought a necessity he called "little johnny" for using during the evening in the tent when his bladder filled. BTW he was a urologist!

174758704-M.jpg
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Marc, that pack is HUGE. 90 liters?? Good for a long multiday hike, I suppose. How do you like it for shorter trips?
    I use it for just about every overnight venture! There are certainly diff methods ideal for each length of time one spends in the woods, but I prefer to keep my systems simple. For example, by using this pack only, I am able to permanently keep many small necessary items in the pack. This allows me to be able to grab that one pack, stuff food camera gear and cloths in and I am ready, no more wandering around my house wondering what I am going to forget this time headscratch.gif

The Epson viewer is one piece of equipment that has become a must for me, it also provides entertainment during the evening hoursmwink.gif Cigar is optional.

This fella brought a necessity he called "little johnny" for using during the evening in the tent when his bladder filled. BTW he was a urologist!

[/quote]

That is certianly a nice looking pack! Its always amazing to me how camping for 3 or 4 days takes almost as much stuff as camping for one day. It never seems as though my bag is less full! A large pack certiantly comes in handy. When I think about it the amount of stuff you bring really is not that much different.

1 night:
    tent
    sleeping bag
    sleeping pad
    food
    water
    clothes
    Camera

3 nights
    tent
    sleeping bag
    sleeping pad
    more food
    water filtration system
    maybe a few extra clothes.
    Camera

Start packing that with climbing gear and my backs already complaining!
  • Options
    The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Tents are over rated!!
    If you KNOW the weather will be nice (NO RAIN OR SNOW) I like to leave the tent in the car and just take my sleeping bag. There is NOTHING BETTER THAN SLEEPING UNDER THE STARS!! Take lots of water and take only the lenses you must have (less is more) and digital is best....that way you don't have to carry all that film around!

I hope this helps and wasn't as vague as all the rest!!
    The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    ...that way you don't have to carry all that film around! ...
    What in the name of god is film? Do you use it as the rain cover? headscratch.gif Or a fire starter? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    What in the name of god is film? Do you use it as the rain cover? headscratch.gif Or a fire starter? mwink.gif

It's what he wraps himself in for the sleeping bag thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac