Options

*challenge 24 ginger,comments please

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 30, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
9786561-L.jpg

The one above this is my favorite. The one below is my daughter's favorite.

9784477-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    Listen to your daughter ... umph.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    *challenge 24 ginger, please comment
    Near DC yesterday, fall color compared to carolinas. That is my granddaughter. I don't know if this is a landscape or not, other than the top of a mountain, I don't rightly exactly know, but I did want to show that there is some fall color. Also reds.

10020521-L.jpg
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    Hi Ginger,

Another set of amazing pics. I like the second photo a lot, but it is a little dark, you may want to try lightening it a little.

-judy
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    judyfuess wrote:
    Hi Ginger,

Another set of amazing pics. I like the second photo a lot, but it is a little dark, you may want to try lightening it a little.

-judy
    Judy, thank you. I did those before my computer broke, last wee early hours of Wed morning. So I did them at home.

I am at my daughter's with her new computer now, amazing how much too light everything looks. And green.

We cannot possibly all be seeing the same things, smile.

ginger
  • Options
    julesncjulesnc Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2004
    I'm not sure which one I like better. I look at the one on top and think, yea...it's this one. Then I scroll down to the next one and think, no.....I think it's this one. Even though they are of the same subject, I get different feelings looking at them.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited October 18, 2004
    The first is very pleasing to the eye. In that the clouds and landscape seem
    to draw you into the picture. There is a nice reflection of the clouds in the
    water too.

I'd like to see the grass/landscape in the first picture a bit brighter. Maybe a
    better way to state it is the sky from 1 and the landscape from 2?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    no. 2, ginger ...
    ginger_55 wrote:

9784477-S.jpg

i like this better. the compo is more pleasing.
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

9784477-L.jpg
    Absolutely this one! While the first one is nice, this one looks finished with the framing of the grass. The clouds are more interesting too. Nicely done!clap.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2004
    thank you for the comments above, duly noted. deal.gif

9784773-L.jpg
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

9784773-S.jpg

Ginger,
    I believe I gave you my choice yesterday in another message, but I wanted to post it here. No. 2 is my choice. Much more engaging than the first and the grasses are clearer. Lots to look at. A very pleasing composition.

I like this last one too. It's got a nice mood. I'm sure you'll confuse yourself with so many beautiful landscapes available to you. You have a good eye. But, so far, I still pick No. 2.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2004
    I stayed out there til 10 PM all by myself, scared to
    death. Does that impress anyone. I had my cell, called my husband to talk to all the way back to the parking lot, through very dark paths with huge trees and things, nobody. I have to see if there is any security at night, I was very scared. Also a very long distance to carry a tripod, especially if you are 65, which I will be next month. Could hardly breathe when I got back to the car. But the marsh was glorious, simply wonderful. Am going to take my husband to carry the tripod, soon, to get some roosting birds. Really bores him, though.
    g

Oh, brown is our fall color. The more into fall, towards winter the browner our landscape gets. Took me twenty years to appreciate it.

9784478-L.jpg
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

9784773-S.jpg

I like this one the best, more minimal and yet poignant. Nice shot ginger~
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    ish wrote:
    I like this one the best, more minimal and yet poignant. Nice shot ginger~
    Ginger I like this one best so far. Keep shooting, I know you will find a knock your socks off shot soon.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    9784477-Th.jpg

I like this one ginger, very calm, could be a bit lighter maybe.
    Not very keen on the last one - too many ugly chairs, but some good colours
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    9784477-Th.jpg

I like this one ginger, very calm, could be a bit lighter maybe.
    Not very keen on the last one - too many ugly chairs, but some good colours
    Gubbs, I like it best as a thumbnail, it has seemed busy to me from the beggining, particularly in the front weeds, the framing things, particularly on the lower left. Am thinking, maybe that is where I could lighten. Can't do anything with it until I get home. Just put the old Elements 2 on Sara's computer. That is good stuff for her, but is very awkward for me now, spoiled by CS.

What do you think re the minimalist look, Gubbs?

I don't want to go lighter overall on the photo here, I particularly liked it for some of the colors, like the reflections in the water. Obviously I liked it well enough to put it on smugMug at 3 AM last week. But the heavy framing at the bottom has bothered me.

Any other suggestions on what to do with that would be appreciated.

I am going to put some stuff up that you all will hate, I am thinking now, why does a landscape have to be pretty, so eventually will put up something ugly from yesterday. And will take off the one with the chairs, the "landscaped" one. I don't go for landscaping myself. But it was a thought.

I do like the minimal thing, not completely happy with that one, though, not minimal enough.........the marsh grass has too much detail, was going to work on that at home, too.

Sorry this is so long, lots of issues. Any suggestions on them, well I will apply at home, Sunday or Monday. And I have an idea for a shoot at home, but cannot possibly do it here. And I have to have an assistant to carry the tripod. (Don't know why my poor husband does not enjoy doing my photography with me, more?) Also, I am, for some things, weather dependent.

ginger
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    No Swimming (ugly landscape series 1) g
    10120412-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    I'm going with number two of the first two Ginger.. I love itclap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    Thanks, Lynn. My daughter wants to put that #2 over her couch in the living room.

I just want to take some clippers and cut some errant folliage out of the left side, lol. Unless that idea I have of a low country shot works out, and it requires time and a physical workout, to say the least of weather and I don't know the lighting on it that well. So, if that works out, we all might change our minds, other than that, I am going to have to go with that second shot.

Anyone have digital clippers? Cletus?rolleyes1.gif You all wouldn't mind, most of the folliage would still be there, it is just a bit that is annoying me. I looked again, anything I did to it, I think would do more harm than good, you know draw attention to what I think is a problem, and probably isn't, rather than get rid of it.

g
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    I like this one alot, very simple yet the single tree says alot. Very well composed. of your first two i definitely prefer the one with the weeds up front. I know you said you thinkits destracting and dont like it, but there was something about them that I liked alot. Maybe the framing or the close reference to the surroundings to the whole landscape, im not sure but I liked that shot alot. I think this is my favorite of the two though. My taste and style seems to differ from alot of people here though. Just my opinion.

9784773-L.jpg[/QUOTE]
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    They are both wonderful shots, but while I love the sky in the first one, the second shot has the reeds or grass in the foreground which seals it for me. Number two!! Nice work.
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    death. Does that impress anyone. I had my cell, called my husband to talk to all the way back to the parking lot, through very dark paths with huge trees and things, nobody. I have to see if there is any security at night, I was very scared. Also a very long distance to carry a tripod, especially if you are 65, which I will be next month. Could hardly breathe when I got back to the car. But the marsh was glorious, simply wonderful. Am going to take my husband to carry the tripod, soon, to get some roosting birds. Really bores him, though.
    g

Oh, brown is our fall color. The more into fall, towards winter the browner our landscape gets. Took me twenty years to appreciate it.

9784478-L.jpg
    I am going to go against the crowd a bit here. I think this is my favorite. I love the colors in here, and the peacefullness that it shows! The reflection of the clouds on the water is great!!!! clap.gif (Plus the story of the way you got it is also amazing!)
    -judy
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    judyfuess wrote:
    I am going to go against the crowd a bit here. I think this is my favorite. I love the colors in here, and the peacefullness that it shows! The reflection of the clouds on the water is great!!!! clap.gif (Plus the story of the way you got it is also amazing!)
    -judy

I agree with Judy, this shot is lovely... and very peaceful

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Ginger,
    Hard choice to make, but I think I like this one the best.

9784477-S.jpg

I'd like to see the colours of the sky warmed just a "bit". The colour is there already, it think it just needs a little bit of a lift:D

Very nice shot.

Brad
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2004
    Sandpiper: mini beach scape Oct 10 afternoon
    I just looked up the rules and anything taken after noon on Oct 10 is allowed.

g
    10272216-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    October 12
    I used G blur and soft light........... Is it better or worse?

g

10274968-L.jpg

The top one has the blur and soft light added, the one at the bottom is the original one that everyone seemed to like.

9784775-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Shem Creek going inland
    October 11, I have just liked this one from the beginning. Thought I would see what others think. g

10274974-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    October 11, I have just liked this one from the beginning. Thought I would see what others think. g

10274974-S.jpg

I like the color in this image Ginger, but the big white pilings have got to go - they are just too big and too in my face. Without the pilings I think this would be a lovely image, but not with them, they are just too too much.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Ginger - this is my fav! i like the softness that you've put on it. Like a misty morning or something..... also the greens and autumn colours are more vivid ..... i like it a lot thumb.gifclap.gif (almost looks like a watercolour)

10274968-L.jpg

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Thanks, Pathfinder, I agree.

g

What about that g blur shot. I am concerned about it looking fake.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Thanks Aussie Kate. I like it now, I didn't like it before, was driving me nuts.

But I was concerned. I also "dodged" a few areas, left the sky alone, but, well, I didn't know. I am happier with it now.

g

I haven't downloaded those dog shots yet. They blurred at fast speeds, not all blurred, but some did.

I am, I guess I am, my husband said, we are getting 512 more things of memory which will give us 700 something. Should really help.