*challenge 24 ginger,comments please

13»

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Ginger,
    That's the boat picture I like the best! I like all of these. Funny about the marsh grass. I never would have thought of working it up like that. That's what makes it special in my mind. I would have left it green with natural water. Then it would have been ordinary. I like the way your creative ideas work.
    Snappy, I have lived here since 1984, sometimes more photography, sometimes less. Have been doing a lot of "nature" stuff since joining this place.

My files and CDs are littered with failed marsh grass. I looked at this, well the thing that saved it was that it was not even pretty marsh grass. So, I played with the little "bad boy" shot. And it was the only one that has worked in 20 yrs. A really famous photographer has just a very simple marsh grass shot, think it might be Ansel Adams, is blk and white. I could copy his, but even they were not right.

Thanks, for commenting on it. It has been at least 20 yrs in the making. Most of those years, I have had a strong preference for the marsh over the ocean. But no grass, to speak of anyway. :roll (never did like that stuff, smile.)

I need your help in cutting, moving and pasting some moons, I lost your post on that stuff in my PC disaster.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Have to agree with your daughter here. I like it that there is grass in the foreground who frames the picture. The top one is more common, the bottom one has UMMPHHH
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    Sea Shot 2, full moon g
    10514630-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    Photocat, I appreciate your input. I have noooo idea what I am doing here, except that I think yesterday and today have become one, if that makes any sense. (I just realized that sitting here working on this thing, I forgot to feed the dogs this afternoon, and they are starting to think this is normal.)

Thank you for your input on the magnolia gardens shot. Now it has become between that and the sea shot, as I have adopted the name, smile.

Most of what you see is necessity. The waves are blurred because of the time I was there, my camera was set on 100 ISO for a long time, then I just upped it to 200 or 400, I put it on AV priority at about f16, maybe f8 and I was trying keep the EC at -1. And I was just working then like I am now, trying not to mess up, guarding the tri pod....................... and while all that was going on the shutter speed was getting slower and slower, so the water blurred.

I often use, lately I do, G blur and soft light on layers, that would show off the blur here, I think.

I have places that I go, I kind of rotate, or I go where I hope is best that day for photos. I looked at the beach when I got there last night and had to decide, because of the tri-pod I couldn't run every which way, and I was hoping to get the moon at the horizon with the ocean. Thanks to the haze and clouds that didn't happen.

So, I tried to work with what I had, and watched my tri pod, camera and husband at the same time. Mixed with panic over a battery going out, the remote coming loose and me not knowing what was wrong.

You might kind of get the idea. It just helps to know the area, and I have lived here for 20 years. Most of that time I was not using my camera, I thought this area was boring, but I did remember when the time came, and I use trial and error, smile.

Thanks for commenting.

ginger
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Of your last two shots I prefer number 2 much more. For some reason the moon looks waay too big in the first one. The second looks alot more natural and even though you said it was out of necessity due to the slow shutter speeds you got a great effect in the water.

Now about which to enter. Thats a very hard one. I like the on you already have entered alot, but I also like this one alot. Honesty I think you just need to go with which one you prefer more. I know we all thrive on the feedback we get, but unless you go with the image that you like better you might get disheartened if it doesnt make it. please dont think im saying that either of these are not great images, I just mean that you know you might blame yourself for listening to others when your feelings told you otherwise on which to enter. Then again if you choose your fav and it doesnt make it you know you gave it your best shot and that a whole lot of people loved almost every single one of the images in this thread. I mean you have gotten 65 posts to this thread so far. Thats awesome that that many people felt they had to say something about your images. I will say real quick though that I think I slightly prefer the one you have already entered.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    OK, these two, this is how Snappy would do it, I think
    10274971-S.jpg

10518459-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    Re the great water rolleyes1.gif in my shots, some of them. It may be the particular beach where I often go. South Carolina is known for it's gradually sloping beaches, and the one I went to last night, and often, it is one of the best beaches for that. I was looking at my shot too, that is calm water, high tide, on a gradual slope (up).

The night of the blue moon, I went to another place just a few miles away, the water was quite choppy, I thought it was the weather. But I have been back, and I think of that beach as a "dirty" beach. Seems to always have a bunch of old grass and stuff littering it. I lived front beach for almost a year right there, it was not like that, nature does change beaches..........

And last night's beach was really clean. It has been dirtier. The waves must have been good, lots of surfers. But the waves were not choppy, they were long............as in the photo. (I often clean my beaches with the clone tool, a really dirty beach, after a storm or something, can't clean it.)

So, that may be one of the answers to that water. It is sure quiet tonight, here. I was reading some stuff, ran into my old long posts, really boring.

g:D
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    10274971-S.jpg

10518459-S.jpg
    these are both great shots! I can see how you would have hard time choosing. I think I like the beach with moon the best! I have tried taking moon shots but still haven't had one that has come out right! Great shots! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif