Options

Zenfolio vs. Smugmug?

Comments

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Scala wrote:
    Hi,

Does this mean posting nudes is ok if you set the SmugIsland feature to an appropriate setting?

What he said.

Malte
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Scala wrote:
    Hi,

Does this mean posting nudes is ok if you set the SmugIsland feature to an appropriate setting?
    We did not change our Terms regarding Nudity with the SmugIslands release....
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We did not change our Terms regarding Nudity with the SmugIslands release....

Would you consider a change of terms since SmugIslands helps to keep www.smugmug.com family safe?
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    Scala wrote:
    Would you consider a change of terms since SmugIslands helps to keep www.smugmug.com family safe?
    The difficulty is, people can still put content not within our terms up, and leave galleries open...

As always, write to us at the help desk, and we can review stuff for you and advise. Cheers!
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The difficulty is, people can still put content not within our terms up, and leave galleries open...

Right. And people have always been able to do that...

Anyway, I was just curious if people would now be allowed to have their own SmutIslands.. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I think "artistic nude" should be allowed in private SmugIslands but I do agree drawing a line somewhere is hard.
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    TSK PhotoTSK Photo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2007
    Zenfolio gallery slideshow too slow!!
    I have a ZF and a SM account and one of the things that is really starting to bug me about ZF is the speed of the gallery slideshow. With SM, the photos change almost instantaneously while on ZF, there's is always a wait time of a few seconds. Does anyone else experience this?

http://tskphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2692206#144149278

http://tskphoto.zenfolio.com/p677704354
  • Options
    creativetechguycreativetechguy Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Count me amoung those who feel artistic nudes should be allowed. It's wrong to censor that.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Count me amoung those who feel artistic nudes should be allowed. It's wrong to censor that.
    We actually say, that if it's good for a museum where minors are allowed, then it's likely to be okay with us.

But, like the US Supreme Court, "we know it when we see it" and so we certainly will keep SmugMug family-safe.
  • Options
    Steven413Steven413 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    My .02 on this thread...
    I've been a SmugMug user for a while and I have no complaints - only compliments. However, I did sign up for a trial account with Zenfolio after seeing this thread. My quick take on it it does seem to "perform" a bit faster and the galleries do have a slick, modern look. Unless I'm doing something wrong - one area where SmugMug definitely keeps the upper-hand is on adding captions - I like how on SM you can enter this for all images at once due to the way it displays all pictures within a gallery (should you choose that option) - with Zenfolio, I seem to only be able to enter this info one pic at a time which takes a toll on the efficiency of captioning pics. Other than that, they seem to be quite equal - at least from a basic account standpoint.

Steve
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Steve
    You can bulk edit captions on Zenfolio as well. In Edit mode, you can select all your photos in a gallery by clicking on "Select All", or pick and choose specific photos by holding down the Shift key and clicking on the photos you want to select, or Ctrl key and click. Once your photos are selected, click on the Edit link in the Description section, type your caption (title, keywords, etc.) once and that caption will be applied to all photos selected.

Go to the Help section at Zenfolio and find the Help page called: "Selecting Multiple Photographs" for more info on batch processing.
  • Options
    Steven413Steven413 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Hi - thanks for the response. I did sort of figure that out but I was not clear then - what i meant is that with SmugMug -you can have all of your caption text boxes available to edit individually all on one long scrolling webpage. Make sense now?

NikonGirl wrote:
    Steve
    You can bulk edit captions on Zenfolio as well. In Edit mode, you can select all your photos in a gallery by clicking on "Select All", or pick and choose specific photos by holding down the Shift key and clicking on the photos you want to select, or Ctrl key and click. Once your photos are selected, click on the Edit link in the Description section, type your caption (title, keywords, etc.) once and that caption will be applied to all photos selected.

Go to the Help section at Zenfolio and find the Help page called: "Selecting Multiple Photographs" for more info on batch processing.
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Steven413 wrote:
    Hi - thanks for the response. I did sort of figure that out but I was not clear then - what i meant is that with SmugMug -you can have all of your caption text boxes available to edit individually all on one long scrolling webpage. Make sense now?
    Yeah, I think that kinda stinks too.

It seems you can bulk edit individual file names with Zenfolio though by just clicking under each photo when you're in edit view. So, I usually use the file name as a caption. Its in the same place & the text is a bit bigger, but I dont mind.

Just wish captions was that easy to edit in bulk.
  • Options
    bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We actually say, that if it's good for a museum where minors are allowed, then it's likely to be okay with us.

Bravo to Smugmug for having a stance like this. I applaud this wholeheartedly! clap.gif
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    jonnypbjonnypb Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    you can have your own domain name with zenfolio for only $40 :wow

i bet the support isn't as good as the smugmug community though :D
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    jonnypb wrote:
    you can have your own domain name with zenfolio for only $40 :wow

Although they lack a forum such as Dgrin as a component of their support - the e-mail support of my Zenfolio account has simply been top notch all the way. I think that they are looking into a forum in the near future.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    peterparkerpeterparker Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    jonnypb wrote:

I've had very good support from Zenfolio from a development perspective.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Although they lack a forum such as Dgrin as a component of their support - the e-mail support of my Zenfolio account has simply been top notch all the way.
    That's been my experience, as well. While what they've done is elegant and mainly works very well, the key issue for me is the glacial speed with which they are developing their functionality.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Although they lack a forum such as Dgrin as a component of their support - the e-mail support of my Zenfolio account has simply been top notch all the way. I think that they are looking into a forum in the near future.
    Seconded. I remember last year, I worked directly with one of their programming guys exchanging emails, screenshots, etc about a rare IE bug. They fixed it in like a day & gave my account credits just for helping out! Awesome!!

Anyways, when you email their support team, they pretty much respond almost instantly. So its almost like you have them "on call". And I've emailed them quite a few times, so no complaints whatsoever about their support.
  • Options
    simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Hmmmmmm I may transfer my 16,000+ photos to Zenfoilo. I like the idea having more options for sorting galleries and it sound cheaper at $40. Frankly, I am tired of the slow speeds here and SM not willing to look into the problems.

Kristi
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    That's been my experience, as well. While what they've done is elegant and mainly works very well, the key issue for me is the glacial speed with which they are developing their functionality.

I guess that is relative to the person evaluating the time frame for development. For a service that has only been available to the general public since the end of 2005, they seem to have an impressive list of enhancements that have been added. From what I can tell, it seems to be a pretty small scale development team at this point. It is more of the "pro" features that have come later - I do understand that.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Frankly, I am tired of the slow speeds here and SM not willing to look into the problems.
    On the basis of my experience, I wouldn't recommend you move to Zenfolio on the grounds of speed! :nono

IMHO SmugMug users have nothing to complain about as far as site speed and reliability are concerned. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    I am tired of the slow speeds here and SM not willing to look into the problems.

Kristi

While you may be having speed problems, I can say for certain that it's unfair to say that SmugMug is unwilling to look into the problems. They look into each and every one, and are always concerned when their customers are experiencing speed problems. They may not have solved your problems, but they do care, and they are working hard to make things better.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    and SM not willing to look into the problems.

Kristi
    We never turn anyone down. If we've missed a particular post of yours here on Dgrin, sorry about that. Please write us at the help desk, and give us the details of your speed issues - we'll surely help. Thanks!
  • Options
    patrick2patrick2 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2007
    have both
    For some time now I'm a big zenfolio fan.
    But there is somthing with the looks and feel. With SM it's just that beter.

So after some tim on sm sites I decided to give sm a change.

A real pro is the service. It took only 30 min to get feed back. clap.gif

The cons are that zf is way beter to organise and teh speed is a big pro.

I will see who will be beter in the futhure.....

Please take a look at.
    www.mijnfotosite.net and www.patnan.net
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    The Zenfolio Premium plan is here.
    November 10, 2007

Turn your passion into a business with the Zenfolio Premium plan
    As many of you know, we have been hard at work on a new Premium subscription plan, and it is finally here. Big thank you goes to our Beta testers who provided the feedback and helped us put the polish on.
    The Premium plan lets you create a fully-functional Web store with customizable look-and-feel and flexible price lists. Here are the highlights:

Create price lists of products by adding markups to base lab prices

The price lists can be assigned to individual photos or entire galleries. This process is completely transparent to clients, who experience the ease and simplicity of ordering prints and other products, and receive a package delivered directly from the lab.

You can use our partner labs or your own

In addition to fulfilling products through Zenfolio partner labs, photographers have a choice of creating and fulfilling their own custom products. Zenfolio Premium subscribers can offer products fulfilled through any lab of their choice, or they can print photos themselves.

Apply custom Watermarks to photos for extra protection

Create and assign custom watermarks with full control over placement and opacity. Supported watermark file formats include JPEG, TIFF, GIF, and PNG with transparency. Original uploaded photos are not watermarked so they can be used for ordering prints.

Replace Zenfolio logo and links with your own name

For additional visitor page customization, you can replace Zenfolio logo and links with your own name to make it look more personalized (available under Customize Visitor View). This powerful option makes the site look yours with a click of a button. Combine that with using your own domain name and you have a branded Web store with all the benefits of Zenfolio under your name.

Use Coupons for extra marketing help and promotions

You can create your own coupons including percent-off and amount-based discounts with expiration dates, specified number of uses, and order minimums.

Detailed sales reports

Review and download detailed sales reports compatible with any spreadsheet program. Reports include Orders, Products, Customers, Coupons, and Photos based on any time period and sorted any way you want.

Unlimited storage with individual file uploads up to 24MB each

Zenfolio Premium plan subscribers can upload files up to 24MB each to support super large print sizes. And, of course, there is no storage or bandwidth limit.

Pricing

The Zenfolio Premium subscription plan is priced at USD$100 per year. Until December 31, 2007, current and new users can sign up for the Zenfolio Premium plan at the special discounted price of USD$80 per year. This special price will stay with you for as long as you remain a subscriber.
    For orders fulfilled through the Zenfolio partner labs, there is a service fee of 12% which includes credit card transaction fees and customer service. For custom orders fulfilled and charged by photographers directly, the service fee is 6%.

Try before you Buy

All current Zenfolio users, including Basic and Unlimited subscribers, will have access to all the Premium features until November 30, 2007. This allows you to try before deciding to upgrade. NOTE: if you do not upgrade by November 30, the Premium features will be automatically removed from your account along with any related items you create during the trial, e.g. watermarks, price lists, custom products.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    The Zenfolio Premium plan is here.
    What took you so long lol3.gif

It's very impressive, I've been using it yesterday and today...
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    What took you so long lol3.gif
    Laughing.gif, road trip down the east coast all weekend.
  • Options
    TejanosTejanos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Five Star ZENFOLIO
    Hi!

I tried the paid accounts for FLICKR (to 80's for me) then went over to SmugMug (to much of a hack job for me) then settled up with ZENFOLIO (it simply works amazingly well right out of the box) and now ZENFOLIO has "The Premium plan which lets you create a fully-functional Web store with customizable look-and-feel and flexible price lists" … which I signed up for immediately.

SmugMug needs a serious "face lift" in my opinion ... one must be a master in “HTML / CSS / Cut and Paste / Hack it Together to Hold it Together” with SmugMug to get anything close in resemblance to what ZENFOLIO has to offer right out of the box …

SmugMug / ZENFOLIO support … same-same … both are 5 star … and with ZENFOLIO I find myself behind the camera doing what I enjoy “taking pictures” than with SmugMug “trying to hack a site together” …

Mark
  • Options
    yosemiteyosemite Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I have been using both and ZENFOLIO has these limitations:
    • no download option, although they say this is coming,
    • no gallery wraps
    • you can not create custom pages
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    Tejanos wrote:
    Hi!

I tried the paid accounts for FLICKR (to 80's for me) then went over to SmugMug (to much of a hack job for me) then settled up with ZENFOLIO (it simply works amazingly well right out of the box) and now ZENFOLIO has "The Premium plan which lets you create a fully-functional Web store with customizable look-and-feel and flexible price lists" … which I signed up for immediately.

SmugMug needs a serious "face lift" in my opinion ... one must be a master in “HTML / CSS / Cut and Paste / Hack it Together to Hold it Together” with SmugMug to get anything close in resemblance to what ZENFOLIO has to offer right out of the box …

SmugMug / ZENFOLIO support … same-same … both are 5 star … and with ZENFOLIO I find myself behind the camera doing what I enjoy “taking pictures” than with SmugMug “trying to hack a site together” …

Mark
    Mainly, that was my biggest beef with SM. I found I was constantly fiddling with html/css code, javascript hacks, etc & not taking any pictures. While I do appreciate the fact that you literally can do anything you want with your site, its almost a necessity to do it up with a lot of coding, or else it looks pretty generic IMO, even with the themes.

I also agree that SM needs a facelift, reworking & more polish overall instead of tacking on features. The little things go a long way.

There is still a problem with scrolling. Everything doesnt fit inside the browser window when viewing the thumbs along with the main photo in classic view mode. Any kind of scrolling on a photo site = bad. Honestly, the entire site should fill the browser window based on my screen resolution instead of wasting all that empty space on the sides. Most newer sites do this, SM still does not.

And I've said this before in the suggestions forum & it got blown off. Please PLEASE switch the main photo & thumbs around in the classic view mode. The main photo is right in the way & the pop up info is constantly getting activated because one must mouse over to the thumbs from the vertical scrollbar & then back again. Its a major annoyance. BOING BOING

Im not trying to criticize, I just want you guys to be aware of these things because I KNOW you can do better & make SM a beast. Building on old code can get you through for quite a while, but maybe its time for something totally new??