Options

Zenfolio vs. Smugmug?

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    My $.02 - I have a smugmug and a zenfolio account. I don't use Zenfolio anymore, and will probably let it lapse. I originally decided on Zenfolio because I thought it looked better, slicker, and more "polished" (I have to admit that was before Smugmug did a big revamp of the way it works). Part of my original decision was based on their info that "customization" of galleries was "coming soon".

That was over two years ago - and "coming soon" is still coming. In that time Smugmug has added features, changed features, polished up features, made their system better, provided tons of support toward customizing sites, provided really good service and info on this forum, and continues to evolve.
    Never sign up with a site based on what's "Coming Soon". Inevitably, coming soon never happens.

SM is fantastic. Customization can be easy or elaborate. You can do it yourself, or, if you can't, you can always hire me to do it for you (blatant self-promotion.. I know..)!

Every website has its downsides. SM's is 2-level deep hierarchy and a restrictive shopping cart. But, both are changing "soon". But, even without those changes, SM is still, IMHO, the best around!

David
  • Options
    MstalMstal Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2008
    Going to sign up
    DrDavid wrote:
    Never sign up with a site based on what's "Coming Soon". Inevitably, coming soon never happens.

SM is fantastic. Customization can be easy or elaborate. You can do it yourself, or, if you can't, you can always hire me to do it for you (blatant self-promotion.. I know..)!

Every website has its downsides. SM's is 2-level deep hierarchy and a restrictive shopping cart. But, both are changing "soon". But, even without those changes, SM is still, IMHO, the best around!

David

I have been using smugmug for several years and love it. But, I will also be getting a Zenfolio account also. I just started doing glamour and artistic nudes and smugmug doesn't allow those type of pictures. It seems there is always one thing that ruins it. I'll be staying with smugmug for all my safe stuff and using zenfolio for my glamour and artistic nudes.
  • Options
    fdjcorpfdjcorp Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I paid for an annual plan to both Zenfolio (pro) and Smugmug (Power) accounts. My Smugmug expires in October 3 and my Zenfolio will expire in 5 more months. I have done my forum observations and the most I did not like about Zenfolio is their "coming soon" has never happened yet. In features, Zenfolio is years behind Smugmug and at the rate their going, I am not sure if they will ever catch up.

I went back to my Smugmug account and did the customization using the dgrin customization forum. I got it to where my I want my site to be. The support in Smugmug is amazing. I felt like I belong to a family.

I will let my Zenfolio lapse in 5 months and I will upgrade my Smugmug Power plan to a Pro plan. I am not a professional photographer but I want my friends and relatives to be able to order prints online.

Just my .02 cents.

Freddie
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    fdjcorp wrote:
    I paid for an annual plan to both Zenfolio (pro) and Smugmug (Power) accounts. My Smugmug expires in October 3 and my Zenfolio will expire in 5 more months. I have done my forum observations and the most I did not like about Zenfolio is their "coming soon" has never happened yet. In features, Zenfolio is years behind Smugmug and at the rate their going, I am not sure if they will ever catch up.

I went back to my Smugmug account and did the customization using the dgrin customization forum. I got it to where my I want my site to be. The support in Smugmug is amazing. I felt like I belong to a family.

I will let my Zenfolio lapse in 5 months and I will upgrade my Smugmug Power plan to a Pro plan. I am not a professional photographer but I want my friends and relatives to be able to order prints online.

Just my .02 cents.

Freddie

Freddie,

I have both as well, both Pro. Zenfolio doesn't realize, it's not all about looks, it's not all about promises, it's the service that counts above all. Smugmug delivers a good product, a strong support, and an honest team. My Zenfolio account will linger for the next 8 months without use . . .

Peter
  • Options
    bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    fdjcorp wrote:
    I am not a professional photographer but I want my friends and relatives to be able to order prints online.

Just my .02 cents.

Freddie

Your friends and family can order prints online at Zenfolio, if I am not mistaken. Not sure I understand your comment here.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    I am just explaining why I am upgrading my Smugmug power account to Pro. Since I will let my Zenfolio account lapse in 5 months, I still want to give my friends and relatives the capability to order from my site thru Smugmug :-). I don't want them to lose that capability when my Zenfolio account ends. mwink.gif

bauerman wrote:
    Your friends and family can order prints online at Zenfolio, if I am not mistaken. Not sure I understand your comment here.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Hi Peter,

Yes, I have been lurking the Zenfolio forum and doing my observation about how responsive Zenfolio will be. The problem is you have to wait patiently and just hope that they will be true to their word. They don't even want to give estimates when certain features will be expected to appear.

I work as a programmer, if I tell my boss I don't want to commit to a date of implementation, I would have been fired a long time ago. mwink.gif

Smugmug is sensitive and listening to what their customers are wishing for. When they say they will deliver you can count on it !!!
    Peter wrote:
    Freddie,

I have both as well, both Pro. Zenfolio doesn't realize, it's not all about looks, it's not all about promises, it's the service that counts above all. Smugmug delivers a good product, a strong support, and an honest team. My Zenfolio account will linger for the next 8 months without use . . .

Peter
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    fdjcorp wrote:
    I am just explaining why I am upgrading my Smugmug power account to Pro. Since I will let my Zenfolio account lapse in 5 months, I still want to give my friends and relatives the capability to order from my site thru Smugmug :-). I don't want them to lose that capability when my Zenfolio account ends. mwink.gif

Your friends and family can order prints at any account level in Smugmug. The only thing you can't do unless you're a Pro is to set prices above the standard (i.e. make a profit).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    for me it looks like there is more money to be made

they only chg 12% and their 8x10's are a $1 less

am I missing something ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    and their 8x10's are a $1 less

not exactly.

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog.mg
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:

is that a recent change ?
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Yah Randy about a month ago.
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/
  • Options
    rouxsterrouxster Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I haven't been able to read through all 38 pages of posts, but I happened to go to zenfolio today because I got an email about mpix upgrading their interface. While I was there, I saw a zenfolio link and decided to check it out.

First let me start by saying that I love my SM pro account. I think that the support is great and there is virtually nothing that can't be done to a site on SM. It would be very difficult to find something that would make me abandon my SM account. While browsing the zenfolio site I noticed a few zenfolio features that would enhace the SM features.
    • I like the idea of the user having the ability of choosing the lab to use. When I get customers mwink.gif, I would venture to say that most of them will be local cutomers. For local orders, I would rather print (at a local shop) and deliver the pictures myself. The user will get thier pictures faster and it will give a bit of personal touch to my site.
    • I like the idea of being able to create my own custom products and seel them on my site. SM would fulfill the order for me, they would only send me the detail of the order and I would develop and ship the product myself.
    • Mpix now offers a "white label" drop shipment service, which I am assuming zenfolio would offer also being that they are partners. With this, when Mpix sends out an order the person uploading (site owner) the photo has the option to remove all Mpix branding from the shipping contents and the return address on the envelope is an address that the uploader specifies. It looks a little more professional.
    Of course with both of these options, SM would still charge a percentage of the sale, but just not as much of a perscentage.

These are just some thoughts on what I would like SM do with their services.

Thanks
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Choosing SmugMug
    I just chose to join SmugMug over Zenfolio after trying both services. At first I was leaning toward ZF because it is easy to use, the interface is clean, and it costs less.

Here's why I chose SM over ZF:

- SM is a well-established, trusted company, ZF is relatively unproven
    - SM users speak highly of SM almost universally, some ZF users are frustrated by waiting for "coming soon" features
    - Easy digital downloads on SM
    - $75 first year on SM
    - Customization and themes/view styles seem to be much deeper on SM

I made an Excel spreadsheet comparing a dozen storefront sites, feature by feature. If you're interested in seeing the file, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Looking forward to being a part of the SmugMug community!
    -Mark
  • Options
    rouxster wrote:
    These are just some thoughts on what I would like SM do with their services.

Thanks
    Thank YOU for posting! Some of these things are in active development - stay tuned :D
  • Options
    liflander wrote:

Looking forward to being a part of the SmugMug community!
    -Mark
    Thank you, and welcome wave.gif to Dgrin & SmugMug. Holler anytime if we can be of service.
  • Options
    rouxsterrouxster Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Thank YOU for posting! Some of these things are in active development - stay tuned :D

That is GREAT to hear! I can't wait to see what is in store for SM. Any way we can get a sneak peak of what is on the horizon for SM :D?
  • Options
    rouxster wrote:
    That is GREAT to hear! I can't wait to see what is in store for SM. Any way we can get a sneak peak of what is on the horizon for SM :D?
    We don't pre-announce stuff, in general. But if you stay tuned here on Dgrin you'll see stuff talked about from time to time thumb.gif
  • Options
    BMMImagesBMMImages Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I'm another one who got the mpix e-mail and decided to check out Zenfolio. Certainly nice, but I didn't see anything that compelling. The 'coming soon' feature set, features that SM already offer, seems to be the tipping point between the two.

To be honest, I'm not a SM member right now. I did the trial to compare it with Shutterfly, which I've used for about 3 years without problem, and saw loads of potential to integrate SM into a site better than Shutterfly. Visually, the options seem unlimited (and therefore, overwhelming at first) for SM, whereas Shutterfly offers no customization. SM also offers what appears to be easy digital sales mechanics, something Shutterfly is sorely lacking.

However, I simply didn't have the time or expertise to sort out the details of how to get it to best work with my existing iWeb site, nor did I have the time to learn Web design. I am still a Shutterfly subscriber, but I'm always looking for a better way to serve my clients, so I've slid back into the SM 'potential' camp.

I haven't found my ideal way to sort out a new site that integrates SM yet (ideally, I don't want to know any code or the like; my time is too limited already, and that time must be dedicated to photos not Web design), but I'm looking into reasonable options that allow me to manage a real site while having it integrated with an SM store front. I don't see where Zenfolio offers anything remotely close to what SM can offer in that regard, simple or complicated.

What I'd love is an iWeb-like interface that talks to SmugMug to ensure customization across the board, while simplifying the all-too complicated Web design end of it.

In any case, I just don't see where I'd go to Zenfolio instead of SM from Shutterfly.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    BMMImages wrote:
    I'm another one who got the mpix e-mail and decided to check out Zenfolio. Certainly nice, but I didn't see anything that compelling. The 'coming soon' feature set, features that SM already offer, seems to be the tipping point between the two.

To be honest, I'm not a SM member right now. I did the trial to compare it with Shutterfly, which I've used for about 3 years without problem, and saw loads of potential to integrate SM into a site better than Shutterfly. Visually, the options seem unlimited (and therefore, overwhelming at first) for SM, whereas Shutterfly offers no customization. SM also offers what appears to be easy digital sales mechanics, something Shutterfly is sorely lacking.

However, I simply didn't have the time or expertise to sort out the details of how to get it to best work with my existing iWeb site, nor did I have the time to learn Web design. I am still a Shutterfly subscriber, but I'm always looking for a better way to serve my clients, so I've slid back into the SM 'potential' camp.

I haven't found my ideal way to sort out a new site that integrates SM yet (ideally, I don't want to know any code or the like; my time is too limited already, and that time must be dedicated to photos not Web design), but I'm looking into reasonable options that allow me to manage a real site while having it integrated with an SM store front. I don't see where Zenfolio offers anything remotely close to what SM can offer in that regard, simple or complicated.

What I'd love is an iWeb-like interface that talks to SmugMug to ensure customization across the board, while simplifying the all-too complicated Web design end of it.

In any case, I just don't see where I'd go to Zenfolio instead of SM from Shutterfly.
    Welcome to dgrin....wave.gif

Sorry, I'm not sure what the iWeb interface looks like, but I'm sure we will be able to help build a site you'll like :)

We do have plently of ways to design sites, as I'm sure you've seen.

When you are ready let us know and we'll help get you going thumb.gif
  • Options
    CPetrinaCPetrina Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2011
    As a user of Zenfolio and Smugmug, I can safely say that both have their pros and cons, however, if the two merged, MY BRAIN WOULD EXPLODE. It would be the best hosting site for professional photographers [who can't afford the uber pricey ones]. My favorite thing about Zenfolio is just about everything except for the fact that they do not have HTML customization...yet. The menus and organization and interface is simple, yet detailed and comprehensive. Smugmug's seems to be simple...but I find it odd that I don't have an actual control panel that I can control EVERYTHING RIGHT THERE. Zenfolio does and that's what I dig. I have gotten angry over Smugmug's setup numerous times and I can't say Zenfolio has more than once. I think that's what would put Smugmug on top...would be if they had a better "owner" page to control [almost] EVERYTHING right there. Try out Zenfolio, and you'll see what I mean. I like being able to highlight whatever images I want to delete or move or use as a cover image or what have you, rather than this one by one "inside the actual gallery page" thing they have going on here at Smugmug. I like everything about smugmug, just not the interface....which is probably about 60% of the subscription is it not? Whew.

http://cpetrina.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    Your move
    Now that Zenfolio has ticked a major bulletpoint on the list, video, what's your move?

They've left a glaring omission that I'd love for you so seize, retaining originals. A while back you improved your video processing system which improved the quality of all videos uploaded thereafter. clap.gifcry Good, that could have been great if you had the originals and reprocessed them for us.

Malte
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Malte wrote: »
    Now that Zenfolio has ticked a major bulletpoint on the list, video, what's your move?
    Researching Zenfolio...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    Some quick research shows some impressive options on their top-of-the-line plan not yet available on SM:
    • 48MB originals
    • 2gb or 15mins for video
    • Live chat support
    • "Remove Zenfolio brand from all visitor pages"
    • European Lab
    • "Define your own shipping method and shipping charge"
    • "Set order minimums per price list"
    But there's some drawbacks:
    • $250 vs $150 for SM
    • A variety of labs fulfilling vs just EZprints and Bay Photo like here on SM
    It's too time/resource intensive for me to research this completely right now, but it definitely is intriguing.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    Interesting to see FTP on Zenfolio's feature request list as well:
    http://zenfolio.uservoice.com/forums/75695-feature-suggestions
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Interesting to see FTP on Zenfolio's feature request list as well:
    http://zenfolio.uservoice.com/forums/75695-feature-suggestions

Hehe. Yes, but they say outright they're not doing it. They are working on a first party desktop client though.

Malte
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Some quick research shows some impressive options on their top-of-the-line plan not yet available on SM:
    • 48MB originals
    • 2gb or 15mins for video
    • Live chat support
    • "Remove Zenfolio brand from all visitor pages"
    • European Lab
    • "Define your own shipping method and shipping charge"
    • "Set order minimums per price list"
    But there's some drawbacks:
    • $250 vs $150 for SM
    • A variety of labs fulfilling vs just EZprints and Bay Photo like here on SM
    It's too time/resource intensive for me to research this completely right now, but it definitely is intriguing.

I don't personally have the pro perspective, I'm Power on SmugMug and would see myself as Unlimited or Premium on Zenfolio.

Malte
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    Malte wrote: »
    Hehe. Yes, but they say outright they're not doing it. They are working on a first party desktop client though.

Malte
    Yeah, which is pretty silly. It's like saying, 'naah, we're not going to use http for web transfers'. rolleyes1.gif