Options

revised repair estimate

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 28, 2006 in Cameras
Canon 20D at Canon: something to do with the shutter after an error 99.

The estimate was 159.00. We authorized that. The camera was neither fixed nor shipped as the revised estimate is

$543.71

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

The estimate was 159.00. We authorized that. The camera was neither fixed nor shipped as the revised estimate is

$543.71

ginger

Ugh, that really stinks....you can buy a brand new XT body for that kinda money....
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

$543.71

ginger

Do you have a detailed list of parts being replaced? I would expect a PCB swap for that kind of repair bill.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Ouch! That's horrible Ginger! You can buy a used (working) 20D for not much more than that. I've been following this thread and was really hopeful after all of the support by the Dgrinners... I hope you can at least use those repair vouchers that were offered. :cry
    Chris
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    You can have one of my vouchers - no problemo, dear! PM me the details and I'll mail it on Wednesday.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Ouch! That's horrible Ginger! You can buy a used (working) 20D for not much more than that. I've been following this thread and was really hopeful after all of the support by the Dgrinners... I hope you can at least use those repair vouchers that were offered. :cry

What vouchers Chris, I have a camera in for repair right now myself?

Sorry to hear Ginger, apparently Canon only has one repair estimate, mine is going to run me about the same.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    What vouchers Chris, I have a camera in for repair right now myself?

Sorry to hear Ginger, apparently Canon only has one repair estimate, mine is going to run me about the same.

Well, they teased me with a cheaper estimate..........in fact, their estimate for mine has bounced all over the map.

199.00 (around), discounted to 159.00 now raised to 543.00.........

I hope that is as high as they go. My husband said they would let me use one voucher..............and I certainly appreciate that anyone would help me like that. I am sending in for med co pays, etc.......just trying to scrape the money together. And you know that Canon won't even start to work on it until they get the money!

I don't know about Nikons now, and I have been happy with the Canon, but back when I had the money for repairs, I owned Nikons.........never a single repair. Years worth of heavy use.

ginger

Thanks, Andy!!!

And I know that John would have, too, but I could only use one.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Helping....
    Being a 20D owner, I'd be curious as to what they said the problem was. They did say didn't they? ne_nau.gif

Being as how Ginger has been on here for long time (based on # of post) I'd be willing to jump in on the buddy system to help fund the repair, to keep her shooting. I know some would attempt a scam, but Ginger...no, otherwise Andy wouldn't be willing to help her out.

So, Ginger, I just bought a 10x15 of this:

21182321-S.jpg

I know it's not much, but it's a step towards getting you back out there! :D

Anyone else?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 6, 2006
    way to go, jeffro!-

great idea!-

I just picked up some 5x7's-

if a lot would try to do a little, this would add up fast-

george
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Great idea, Jeffro. I have always admired Ginger's prints and considered buying one. Now's as good a time as any. Tough part was I couldn't pick just one....ne_nau.gif . Decided to buy an assortment of 4x6, 5x7 to go with this larger print. I love the beach and so does my sister...we may fight over these! Oh, and some doggies at the beach too!!!

20816060-M.jpg

21181786-Th.jpg7152127-Th.jpg40731677-Th.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Great idea, Jeffro. I have always admired Ginger's prints and considered buying one. Now's as good a time as any.

Thanks...you get that warm fuzzy feeling:D and some nice prints.

Way to get on board George!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    What can I say....................geez, thanks!!!

And Jeffro, yours was the first post I read, and you picked my all time favorite photo!

Thank you, all of you!

(I have had other favorites since that shrimp boat, but that was the first, and I would still say that it is one of the best photos I have done: especially since it was just a photo, not for a contest or anything).

But I love all the ones I have seen.

I won't even say that it makes me cry you all are so nice.........that would be trite, wouldn't it?

Thank you! Andy and those who followed, John Mueller for being first, too. To suggest the certificates. Canon only allowed me to use one.

ginger
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Andy!!!

And I know that John would have, too, but I could only use one.

No problem Ginger.

In fact - SmugMug's gonna kick in the remainder of the $$ for you. We want you out there shooting again :D

Add up how much you have, and the voucher, and how much cash do you need?

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No problem Ginger.

In fact - I'm gonna kick in the remainder of the $$ for you.

ear.gif

Oh, gosh, Andy!

That, well, as I said everyone.............. over the top!

Bill, just went to bed.

(I don't bother a sleeping man!)

I will post tomorrow after I talk to him.

thanks again, and again,

ginger
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No problem Ginger.

In fact - SmugMug's gonna kick in the remainder of the $$ for you. We want you out there shooting again :D

ear.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Awesome
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, gosh, Andy!

That, well, as I said everyone.............. over the top!

Bill, just went to bed.

(I don't bother a sleeping man!)
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Smart Laydeeeeeeeeee!

thanks again, and again,

ginger
    You're welcome, again, and again - it's our pleasure to be able to help out! Shoot me an email in the morning.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    Saurora, I love that big photo there of under the pier. I did that for a challenge of repeating lines, I think that is what it was. I absolutely loved it! Still do.

It didn't make the finals! I just think that is funny! I am glad that you like it and will have a copy! You have my first winning photo, the Sand Dunes Fence, and the one that didn't make it to the finals. I like them both.....and my dogs. My sweet dogs. I am going to go in and sit with them, I have been working up photos all night, I had no idea what was going on here.

thank you so much, and smugmug........

ginger

Jeffro, I couldn't hear much of what they said, something about the shutter, a part.............I don't know. I was going to ask Bill. Then I just got caught up in other things, and I know I will have to find out more exactly......

I think that is awefully high, it still is a used camera....it is not like it will be made new or anything. But I need it.

I was wondering, on the shutter. I have seen some of you, or some people advertising a camera for sale and saying how many activations it has, something like that.

How do you know, and wouldn't that relate to the shutter? I don't know anything about "activations". I have just seen it used to describe cameras for sale.

ginger
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 6, 2006
    does this mean I can send the photos back?-

just kidding-

one of the ones I got was the dunes one-

love it-

not sure how this would be done, but I think jeffro's got a good idea that somehow we might could keep going-

where anybody helped would be cleared through andy-

andy and smugmug-

thanks for helping ginger-

george
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    try this
    if its just a cleaning of the shutter mechanism they can maybe do that without too much work and maybe someone else will do it for less.

if a clean,lube and adjust does not do it and they need to open it up for a shutter rebuild then it won't be worth it.

if its shutter rebuild time it would be interesting to know how many actuations on the shutter-if its low ,say 20,000 or so then Canon corporate may well be embarrassed enough to replace the camera,getting you a free upgrade to a 30d.

also ,as I suggested earlier ,its worth using the reboot hole under the camera to see whether the error message disappears.

its important to know what the report says so that we can help you explore all the options.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Wow
    Andy wrote:
    No problem Ginger.

ear.gif

Wow, classy move Andy and Smugmug. I know I mostly just give you guys a hard time, but this is class. Nice move.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Wow. I'm lost for words. That's simply beautiful, all you guys.

Malte
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No problem Ginger.

ear.gif

You guys are truly a class act. Bravo. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    if its just a cleaning of the shutter mechanism they can maybe do that without too much work and maybe someone else will do it for less.

if a clean,lube and adjust does not do it and they need to open it up for a shutter rebuild then it won't be worth it.

if its shutter rebuild time it would be interesting to know how many actuations on the shutter-if its low ,say 20,000 or so then Canon corporate may well be embarrassed enough to replace the camera,getting you a free upgrade to a 30d.

also ,as I suggested earlier ,its worth using the reboot hole under the camera to see whether the error message disappears.

its important to know what the report says so that we can help you explore all the options.

GTC, I just found the "rest" of the revised estimate, this is what Canon said the problem is:

Well, it pasted in black...........what it says is that the actuations exceed the shutter life. They are in the 90,000 range. (92,244)

If you run the cursor over the black, you know how you do, you can read it.

My dogs woke me up right after Bill left.

But they have the parts at $280.00 and the labor at 230.00......

ginger (Canon is giving me a 20% discount on labor, they said, that has already been factored into the revised estimate.)

I am going to be getting some coffee and e-mailing Andy shortly.

Examination / Request Details:

Summary of Charges:
    REVISED ESTIMATE: SHUTTER RELEASE COUNT (92,244)EXCEEDS SHUTTER LIFE. REPAIR REQUIRES EXPENSIVE PARTS TO BE ADDED. 20% DISCOUNT ON LABOR. PLEASE RESPOND TO NEW ESTIMATE.
    Parts
    $ 280.48
    Labor
    $ 230.00
    Service / Work Type:
    Charge , Repair
    Sub Total
    $ 510.48
    Equipment Received:
    EOS 20D
    Sales Tax
    $ 18.23
    Serial #:
    N/A
    Shipping
    $ 15.00
    P.O.#:

Total Due
    $ 543.71
    Accessories Received:
    BODYCAP/NOBATT/NOCFCARD
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Ginger, I am so happy for you that the issues of repair are being so generously taken care of by Smugmug. What a class act! It's also reassuring to find out what the problem is with your Canon. At least it isn't something defective. I am glad you can relax now and hopefully soon you will be back out there taking more of those marvelous photos. I am looking forward to receiving that pier shot and all the others I purchased. We have a nice pier I walk on every Sunday. Perhaps I will star a collection of different pier shots? I love the "character" and the color of this one. I had not been on your site for a while, so there was lots of new wonderful shots to see and some I had previously missed. Eveyone should do themselves a favor, if they haven't viewed it, and learn from a master. Oh, one more thing, that shot of your dogs walking on the beach is terrific with the reflections in the wet sand. I just love it! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    UPDATE ON THE GENEROSITY OF DGRINNERS :D

I've received four emails asking to make donations of $$ to help the cause. That's really nice - and we and Ginger for sure appreciate it. SmugMug is happy to donate the money to fix Ginger's camera, so you folks who wish to donate, we all appreciate it very very much but it's all taken care of and we don't really have a way to handle the donations etc so I will just say "thanks" and bowdown.gif to your generosity !
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Well, it pasted in black...........what it says is that the actuations exceed the shutter life. They are in the 90,000 range. (92,244)
    Examination / Request Details:

Summary of Charges:
    REVISED ESTIMATE: SHUTTER RELEASE COUNT (92,244)EXCEEDS SHUTTER LIFE. REPAIR REQUIRES EXPENSIVE PARTS TO BE ADDED. 20% DISCOUNT ON LABOR. PLEASE RESPOND TO NEW ESTIMATE.

So the assumption we've all read/heard that the 20D has a shutter expectancy (MTBF) of 100,000 is wrong? *edit* MTBF is not a hard number, just an estimate, so 92k actuations is certainly in the ball park.

According to DPR, the 30D is 100,000, but the 20D's spec is not given in the comparison chart. Other sources say it's twice that of the 10D (which is 50,000), while others say it is the same for the 10D, 300D, 20D, and 350D (50,000). Either way, 92,xxx is a helluva lot of pictures and you've gotten good use out of the unit. It's just a shame it costs so much to replace. Could you get a statement from them on what the shutter life of the 20D is?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Wow - I am really impressed with the generosity shown by smugmug and this forum. I always enjoy Ginger's posts - she captures the essence of the south. Glad to see everything will work out!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What can I say....................geez, thanks!!!

And Jeffro, yours was the first post I read, and you picked my all time favorite photo!

Thank you, all of you!

ginger

You're welcome! I'm glad to see that Smug stepped in and helped save the day.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    Thank you, and you are welcome. I will ask Canon if they can send me something on the shutter life............to see if I can get it in writing. Since I can't hear them, it is a reasonable request. (at least they should send it in an e-mail, other companies do that for me)

I am very confused on this shutter life business. I really was an active photographer for at least 5 yrs in the seventies, started being so active in the late 60s, stopped when I moved to somewhere w/o a dark room, maybe in 1976 or so. But I have never gone long without taking photos.

I bought my film in bulk, bricks, did not roll my own. I worked part time for a newspaper until they and I had a conflict. But this was all with a Nikon, a top of the line Nikon film camera. I carried my older Nikormat (sp), so that I could have two lenses going. But both cameras got a lot of use. I have always used film like it was not a problem.

In the 90s I got it for free from Bill's company who even developed for free.

I have never heard of a shutter issue before. I have never had a Canon until I went with digital and the Canon Elph.

Is this new with Digitals??

ginger
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is this new with Digitals??

ginger
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Digital camera's do not actually use a shutter. The shutter actuation is actually controlled by software and the sensor. By saying it has over 92k actuations they are saying the sensor has been activated or taken over 92k pictures. The sensors are a light sensative electronic device and do wear out with use and even possibly with age as time will tell.....

Put more economically imagine each shutter actuation is a frame of film. 92k+ frames of film divided by 24 exp which is the standard amount in your typical roll of film = roughly 3834 rolls of film. Figure even if each roll of film only cost a dollar (which I can't remember how much it really costs but $1 seems cheaper than I used to pay per roll) you would have spent over $3834.00 (add in tax) on film. While replacing the sensor costs just under $600.00.

Still way cheaper than film if you ask me.

Plus that doesn't include cost of developing.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Ginger,

Nothing electrical or mechanical will last forever.

Here is a different way of looking at this. Your repair bill is $542, and you took 92,000 photos. That works out to about $0.0058 per photo taken, or say you went on a photo shoot, and took 300 photos that day. It would cost you $1.74 for the day. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Or you could stop taking so many damn photos! :D

Sam