vince71vince71 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Thank you!!!!!!!!! It's finally here!
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Woop, we shipped this last Thursday, here's the announcement :D
    And to be clear, since this thread has many requests in it, I'm talking about Foreign Currency Transactions.

Yup, more to come, too!

Excellent news clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I applaud the effort, but seriously, you guys just don't get it.

You've gone from one currency to a small number of currencies.

I have accused you before of building features that suit you from an engineering or development point of view, and I'm going to do it again.

I even posted somewhere months ago that I feared you were going to build a system that only worked with a small number of currencies and that mine wouldn't be included. I remember wondering why you wouldn't use an external payment processor that does this as their core competency but no...

I know you've going to say that you have more plans but the fact remains, you guys just don't get customer focussed requirements and development. It just so happens that your core product is excellent, but I'm afraid that's not due to listening to your customers, it's because your customers happen to like what you wanted to build.

Cheers - N
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 6, 2012
    TalkieT wrote: »
    I know you've going to say that you have more plans but the fact remains, you guys just don't get customer focussed requirements and development. It just so happens that your core product is excellent, but I'm afraid that's not due to listening to your customers, it's because your customers happen to like what you wanted to build.

We couldn't add all the currencies initially. We added the ones where the overwhelming majority of our customers are and where print orders go to. I'm not sure how that amounts to not listening to our customers.

I realize that it doesn't yet meet your needs and I apologize for that. But it's a big step in the right direction.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Sheaf wrote: »
    We couldn't add all the currencies initially. We added the ones where the overwhelming majority of our customers are and where print orders go to. I'm not sure how that amounts to not listening to our customers.

I realize that it doesn't yet meet your needs and I apologize for that. But it's a big step in the right direction.

I know I sound negative, and it's after many years of wanting this feature - and you go and build a bespoke system limited to currency support instead of using an industry standard payment processor.

WHY did you have to do it the hard way? There are better ways to do it that wouldn't have taken 6 years to do.

Cheers - N
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    TalkieT wrote: »
    I know I sound negative, and it's after many years of wanting this feature - and you go and build a bespoke system limited to currency support instead of using an industry standard payment processor.

WHY did you have to do it the hard way? There are better ways to do it that wouldn't have taken 6 years to do.

I can't really speak about the details, but we looked into the industry standard payment processors. It was not a feasible solution and required a great deal more involvement and sacrifices than you may think. Even then, it only solved part of the problem (accepting payment) rather than an entire solution.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    I'm lucky enough to live in the Eurozone (until it all melts down in a blaze of Greek tragedy, at least), so I greatly appreciate this. I have been over here for almost four years now, and haven't really been using my Smugmug account as a sales tool at all. Europeans, particularly Germans, simply don't do transactions outside their currency. So thanks for the new tools. I wasn't about to give up my pro account (I'm sentimental, and have been cleverly grandfathered in at 2005 prices, kudos to your marketing department). But I feel as though I can now direct potential customers to smugmug without the inevitable groaning that always resulted before.

That being said, because no good deed goes unpunished, I have a few questions:

1- do you have a printing center in Europe, or are the prints shipped from the US?

2- When are you guys going to do an IPO? (not at all related, but I thought I would ask anyway)

3- How dare you refuse to ship to the myriad customers I have in Sikkim, as well as Afghanistan?!!

Cheers,

Ryan
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Justiceiro wrote: »
    That being said, because no good deed goes unpunished, I have a few questions:

1- do you have a printing center in Europe, or are the prints shipped from the US?

2- When are you guys going to do an IPO? (not at all related, but I thought I would ask anyway)

3- How dare you refuse to ship to the myriad customers I have in Sikkim, as well as Afghanistan?!!

Cheers,

Ryan

1- stay tuned, we have just shipped Part 1 of our International features. The blog posts even alludes to things that are coming. A lab in your neighborhood is also our #1 feature request on http://feedback.smugmug.com We're not ignoring it.

2- no such plans, sorry!

3- lol3.gif
  • Options
    darklightphotographydarklightphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Woop, we shipped this last Thursday, here's the announcement :D
    And to be clear, since this thread has many requests in it, I'm talking about Foreign Currency Transactions.

Yup, more to come, too!

Awesome!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Check the SmugMug News Blog
    An item of interest was just posted today :smo
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Niiiceeee!!!! I hope they ship to Germany at a reasonable price.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    wonder what shipping to mainland Europe will be...Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Austria....etc...???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Niiiceeee!!!! I hope they ship to Germany at a reasonable price.

Stay tuned and you'll see @ launch time, there will be competitive shipping, promise!
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012

I thought some Asia countries were part of the overwhelming majority.... I've been a 7 year customer and was hoping for the main Asia currencies, at the very least Yen. We had voiced our need since the beginning of the thread for this.

Please keep us in mind for the next round. Trying to hang on.....10 , 20 years?
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Furono wrote: »
    I thought some Asia countries were part of the overwhelming majority.... I've been a 7 year customer and was hoping for the main Asia currencies, at the very least Yen. We had voiced our need since the beginning of the thread for this.

Please keep us in mind for the next round. Trying to hang on.....10 , 20 years?
    Hope to add the Yen, thanks.
  • Options
    FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Great news Andy.

Loxley are the lab I use anyway - they will make a great match for SM in terms of quality and Customer Service.

One point to consider - I would still like to have access to US labs - a certain amount of my work is for people who live in the US (and fly in here for events like weddings) - and they would probably prefer to buy from a local lab. Once again - I'm asking for the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    FrankC wrote: »
    Great news Andy.

Loxley are the lab I use anyway - they will make a great match for SM in terms of quality and Customer Service.

One point to consider - I would still like to have access to US labs - a certain amount of my work is for people who live in the US (and fly in here for events like weddings) - and they would probably prefer to buy from a local lab. Once again - I'm asking for the best of both worlds.

Pros will have Loxley as another lab choice, like Bay or WHCC. With our launch, each image/gallery can have a single pricelist (and thus a single lab outside of merchandise) applied. I don't know if that solves your problem or not (for US events you shoot, just choose a US lab, otherwise choose Loxley).

There are a number of difficulties with allowing more than one lab per image/gallery unfortunately.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Pros will have Loxley as another lab choice, like Bay or WHCC. With our launch, each image/gallery can have a single pricelist (and thus a single lab outside of merchandise) applied. I don't know if that solves your problem or not (for US events you shoot, just choose a US lab, otherwise choose Loxley).

There are a number of difficulties with allowing more than one lab per image/gallery unfortunately.

That should work for some cases. But there'll always be a workaround - even if it means creating a duplicate gallery.

Thanks, Frank
  • Options
    BiscutBiscut Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2012
    This site looks great, but I've got the same concerns as many have posted here. I'm not signed up for SM but am looking for a good way to sell pictures and I like this site. My customers would all be purchasing in Japan (and in Japanese). There doesn't seem to be a viable option for me here. What can I do?

How about a sign-up sheet or something? Could someone let me know when you'll be able to support yen transactions and make things more affordable by having the processing done locally? Seems like you are taking steps that way, but I'd like to set things up for my business now. Maybe if you let me know when you can do it I could switch over in the future.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    That should work for some cases. But there'll always be a workaround - even if it means creating a duplicate gallery.

Thanks, Frank

Frank, lovely to meet you at our stand today at FOCUS on Imaging :smo Thanks for sticking with us :D
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Biscut wrote: »

How about a sign-up sheet or something?

Yup, be sure to subscribe to our news blog, http://news.smugmug.com thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Frank, lovely to meet you at our stand today at FOCUS on Imaging :smo Thanks for sticking with us :D

Great to meet you too Andy - and the rest of the SmugTeam :-)

i-NTkMTDJ-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Great to meet you too Andy - and the rest of the SmugTeam :-)

i-NTkMTDJ-Ti.jpg

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    e**e** Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Almost all of my clients are in Canada, and I am so happy to see the new foreign currency rollout!

However, I have a couple of questions:

- Is it possible to set a currency (e.g. CAD$) to show up as the default whenever a client clicks on the shopping cart?

- You mention in the release notes that you will be adding 'currency support' to pro pricing in the future. I just wanted to clarify - will this allow me to set my prices in Canadian Dollars, so that the Canadian price will not fluctuate with the exchange rate? I would love to see this feature.

Thanks for the update -
    -- Eric

ERIC SCOTT PHOTOGRAPHY
    commercial and architectural imagery
    www.ericscottphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    e** wrote: »

- Is it possible to set a currency (e.g. CAD$) to show up as the default whenever a client clicks on the shopping cart?
    No, not right now.

- You mention in the release notes that you will be adding 'currency support' to pro pricing in the future. I just wanted to clarify - will this allow me to set my prices in Canadian Dollars, so that the Canadian price will not fluctuate with the exchange rate? I would love to see this feature.

Thanks for the update -
    Working on it, stay tuned http://news.smugmug.com subscribe to our news blog, thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    No, not right now.
    Working on it, stay tuned http://news.smugmug.com subscribe to our news blog, thanks!

Great - thanks for the quick reply Andy!

When the feature to set prices in a given currency rolls out, it would be great to have the default currency matched to the one in which the prices were set.

Cheers,
    -- Eric

ERIC SCOTT PHOTOGRAPHY
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    e** wrote: »
    Great - thanks for the quick reply Andy!

When the feature to set prices in a given currency rolls out, it would be great to have the default currency matched to the one in which the prices were set.

Cheers,

What we do now is make our best guess, based off browser information, as to what currency they most likely use and show that initially.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    coupon support in foreign currencies is coming right? Or am I missing the option that sets it.... seems a bit silly having a USD coupon for UKP prices!
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    What we do now is make our best guess, based off browser information, as to what currency they most likely use and show that initially.

Oh, that's good to know that the default currency does vary. It came up as USD for me, and I'm in Canada, so I just assumed it was static.

Thanks,
    -- Eric

ERIC SCOTT PHOTOGRAPHY
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    paulbrock wrote: »
    coupon support in foreign currencies is coming right? Or am I missing the option that sets it.... seems a bit silly having a USD coupon for UKP prices!

thumb.gif
    SmugMug Product Manager