Options

The Proof-delayed Shipping Thread (Tips, Questions)

Comments

• Options
    SkipRowlandSkipRowland Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Okay, that just went live. You can see and adjust what the customer chose for cropping, and override their color choice as well.
    this is a huge leap forward, and very much appreciated!
    alixmiles wrote:
    ok here is the the deal....I have over 65000 images on my site. Would take forever to upload full size originals....so I was stoked about the proof delay. But I just discovered that the larger sizes are not available to my customers because I have uploaded a reduced file. How bout the ablility to offer all sizes regardless of the size of original. It could be a bulk feature...like the pricing.

All my pics are taken at the highest resolution..either 8mp or 12.9 depending on which camera i use.
    Can you guys make this happen?
    i also would be interested in this. i would even go as far as saying i would be willing to take the $-hit if someone ordered something large and i failed to upload an appropriate printable file...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    alixmiles wrote:
    ok here is the the deal....I have over 65000 images on my site. Would take forever to upload full size originals....so I was stoked about the proof delay. But I just discovered that the larger sizes are not available to my customers because I have uploaded a reduced file. How bout the ablility to offer all sizes regardless of the size of original. It could be a bulk feature...like the pricing.

All my pics are taken at the highest resolution..either 8mp or 12.9 depending on which camera i use.
    Can you guys make this happen?

Thanks
    Barry

Hi Barry, I'm sorry there is no other way at the momemt. Files must match the resolution of the largest print you wish to sell. More info here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality#minprintres
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006

Hi Skip - I see thumbs and photos, but I can't know if you've replaced or not. Replace from the gallery page works just fine, there is a bug in the replace from the prosals page, it brings you to our homepage after but the images do replace.

Let me know...
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    i just went to another computer to see how things looked...not good.

on this page:
    http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1925389/1

the thumbnail for the third image is simply a grayed-out box. clicking on the thumbnail takes me to this page, where both the thumb and the image are grayed-out boxes:
    http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1925389/1/97477179

if i leave it for awhile, the images show up, but as soon as i move my mouse, they disappear again; this is happening consistently on two different pc's.

this original filename was 060923-RMC-vs-E&H-MSc-0003.jpg .
    the new filename is 060923-RMC-vs-E&H-MSc-0003-12x8-200dpi-final.jpg .

the originals are 2100 x 1400. the replacements are 2400 x 1600 or 2000 x 2800. the originals are 300-500kb; the replacements are 1-1.5mb.

let me know if you need anything else. is there anyway you can put a hold on the order that is due to start processing today until we can make sure that the replacement files are there? otherwise, the order is definitely going have to be redone...

BTW, even though the captions would indicate that the files have been replaced, when i am able to see a thumbnail for any of the 6 images referenced earlier, they do not appear to be my new files.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    i noticed that on this page:
    http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1925389/2/97477625

the image has a box that would indicate an 8x12 ratio, but the uploaded image has a 5x7 ratio. it has a nasty gray filler on the right hand side. again, i can't tell if this is ok, or not.

ok, just for grins i'm going to take a look at this under firefox (i have been using IE6). i noticed that the IE status bar seemed to be hung up on the "(1 item remaining) downloading picture blah blah blah".

firefox seems worse...if i start on the first page in the gallery, i can navigate to the second page, then it hangs up...
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    i noticed that on this page:
    http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1925389/2/97477625

the image has a box that would indicate an 8x12 ratio, but the uploaded image has a 5x7 ratio. it has a nasty gray filler on the right hand side. again, i can't tell if this is ok, or not.

ok, just for grins i'm going to take a look at this under firefox (i have been using IE6). i noticed that the IE status bar seemed to be hung up on the "(1 item remaining) downloading picture blah blah blah".

firefox seems worse...if i start on the first page in the gallery, i can navigate to the second page, then it hangs up...
    Skip, Don - our CEO and Cheif Geek, is looking into this as we speak. Please don't make any mods to the gallery, while we work on the problem - sorry for the hassle!
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Skip, Don - our CEO and Cheif Geek, is looking into this as we speak. Please don't make any mods to the gallery, while we work on the problem - sorry for the hassle!
    no problem. i REALLY appreciate ya'll's committedness. i'm going to step away from the keyboard for awhile...

i have no idea what type of tools you have, but if ya'll could, take a peek at order #178878. it contains two of the previously mentioned images, where the originals were 8x12 ratio and the replacements were 5x7 ratio.

good luck! i'll check back in a bit.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    no problem. i REALLY appreciate ya'll's committedness. i'm going to step away from the keyboard for awhile...

i have no idea what type of tools you have, but if ya'll could, take a peek at order #178878. it contains two of the previously mentioned images, where the originals were 8x12 ratio and the replacements were 5x7 ratio.

good luck! i'll check back in a bit.
    It's all okay - you just needed to re-adjust the crop! :D

I fixed it for you, make sure I did alright. Look at that order in your pro sales page. deal.gif

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's all okay - you just needed to re-adjust the crop! :D

I fixed it for you, make sure I did alright. Look at that order in your pro sales page.
    i appreciate your trying, andy, but it appears there is a MAJOR problem with your replace photo function...it's simply not working.

here's a test gallery, to show you exactly what i mean:
    http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1986415/5/101304290

i uploaded the first row with files named:
    060923-RMC-vs-E&H-MSc-0017-wxh-72dpi-v1.jpg

i uploaded the second row with files named:
    060923-RMC-vs-E&H-MSc-0017-wxh-72dpi-v2.jpg

i set the gallery sort to position.

i then replaced the 5th image with the file that is in there now. it has the correct caption (via filename), and it has the appropriate ratio outline, but the file is still the original, as you can see by the text in the image...

consequently, both orders that i've been working on are still messed up. one of them has gone on to ezprints, and will be shipped, and will be rejected by the customer. the other one we still have another day to get right.

please let me know what else i can do to help ya'll fix this. you've got my phone number, please feel free to use it.

thanks,
    skip

btw, in firefox, the gallery kinda locks up with trying to navigate it...
  • Options
    alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Barry, I'm sorry there is no other way at the momemt. Files must match the resolution of the largest print you wish to sell. More info here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality#minprintres

Thats too bad Andy....I guess I will have to fill the large print orders myself.

Would love to see this feature. Make it happen ok...I know you have nothing else to do...hehe.

Thanks again for all the help

Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    alixmiles wrote:
    Thats too bad Andy....I guess I will have to fill the large print orders myself.

Would love to see this feature. Make it happen ok...I know you have nothing else to do...hehe.

Thanks again for all the help

Barry
    I'm curious, why? Can you not upload 300kb -400kb files?
  • Options
    alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm curious, why? Can you not upload 300kb -400kb files?

What size would they need to be? I think they go on now at 800 x600.

Maybe when I have time I can change my IRfanview settings. I am about 5000 photos behind right now...and a big week of high school sports ahead.

What will get me up to 11x14? EDIT nevermind...I went back and found it.

Thanks
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    just to illustrate what i'm talking about, here's some screenshots from the test gallery mentioned last night.

this is from firefox

101445170-M.jpg

this is from internet explorer
    101446233-M.jpg

to recap the earlier post, i uploaded 3 images twice. i then replaced the middle image on the bottom row with a copy of the 1st image on the top row. everything changed except the image! the title and the ratio changed, but the image file did not!

the gallery is here: http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1986415
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    just to illustrate what i'm talking about, here's some screenshots from the test gallery mentioned last night.

this is from firefox

this is from internet explorer

to recap the earlier post, i uploaded 3 images twice. i then replaced the middle image on the bottom row with a copy of the 1st image on the top row. everything changed except the image! the title and the ratio changed, but the image file did not!

the gallery is here: http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1986415

Hi Skip,

I too see the problem, and we are looking into it for you. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    I too see the problem, and we are looking into it for you. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
    i was just wondering if any progress was being made on this. i just replicated the problem again in a 3rd test gallery. as you can see, the bottom middle image indicates that it has been replaced, but inspection of the actual image shows that it was not.
    http://skiprowland.smugmug.com/gallery/1989467/5/101506737
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    ok, i just got an email that i assume was system generated, alerting me to the fact that one of the 12 images i had uploaded to my test galleries was being modified because it had been uploaded as an Adobe RGB file and not an sRGB file...

so, i quickly modified the profile on all my test images, and uploaded them. then, i uploaded a replacement image for the one that was messed up--and the replacement took.

i went back to the two images in one of the orders that is messed up and changed their profiles from Adobe RGB to sRGB, uploaded them via the replace photo function, and voila, them problem is solved.

i know where the Adobe RGB crept in on my side, and i can deal with that.

however, it looks like ya'll need some more safeguards on your side. at the very least, this situation needs to be added to your pro faqs...
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    however, it looks like ya'll need some more safeguards on your side. at the very least, this situation needs to be added to your pro faqs...
    Hi Skip,

We've been converting files for a long time - we recently added that we convert Adobe98 to sRGB on upload - that was a couple months ago. And we've stated so here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

The email, notifying you, is a brand-new feature, just added a day ago :)
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Skip,

We've been converting files for a long time - we recently added that we convert Adobe98 to sRGB on upload - that was a couple months ago. And we've stated so here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

The email, notifying you, is a brand-new feature, just added a day ago :)
    i don't want to be too quick on the draw with an opinion, so for the moment i'll say i guess that's cool for ya'll to automatically be doing the conversion. i just wish the notification process had been in place before yesterday...

btw, if i need help with a specific order, do ya'll want me to post to dgrin, or send an email to help@smugmug.com? which is the most expedient way to get things resolved?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    i don't want to be too quick on the draw with an opinion, so for the moment i'll say i guess that's cool for ya'll to automatically be doing the conversion. i just wish the notification process had been in place before yesterday...

btw, if i need help with a specific order, do ya'll want me to post to dgrin, or send an email to help@smugmug.com? which is the most expedient way to get things resolved?
    Send to the help desk please :D
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Yes, allow us the option to disable the crop feature and give us the ability to upload individual images cropped for each aspect ratio--like smugmug's competitors do.

I just realized that smugmug is violating our copyrights by modifying our pictures when a customer changes the crop from what the photographer (copyright holder) has defined.

I did not make it thru all the posts, so this may have been addressed already.

Just use 'custom' pricing to control the crops that you allow people to buy. Set any sizes you do not want ordered (8x10 yuk!) to zero dollars and they will not have that size in their selection pull down.
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    If I have a gallery set to 3 day proof and I order the photos myself, does it still follow the 3 day proof?

Last Friday I placed an order for 300+ 4x6 photos. I just got notified they shipped today. My orders have always shipped much faster than this.

I do have 3 day proof option on those galleries, but when I place my own order I do not get anywhere to hit a Ship It button or proof anything. (not that I want to.)

I need to figure out the portfolio pricing to add .01 so all order regardless show up in my sales report with proofing options. I just haven't quite figured that out yet. When I messed with it last time I repriced all my galleries to wrong prices and had a big mess on my hands. I need to get on this and work it out, but my question still stands for now.

Thanks,
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    If I have a gallery set to 3 day proof and I order the photos myself, does it still follow the 3 day proof?

Last Friday I placed an order for 300+ 4x6 photos. I just got notified they shipped today. My orders have always shipped much faster than this.

I do have 3 day proof option on those galleries, but when I place my own order I do not get anywhere to hit a Ship It button or proof anything. (not that I want to.)

I need to figure out the portfolio pricing to add .01 so all order regardless show up in my sales report with proofing options. I just haven't quite figured that out yet. When I messed with it last time I repriced all my galleries to wrong prices and had a big mess on my hands. I need to get on this and work it out, but my question still stands for now.

Thanks,
    Hi Dana,

See our help page on proof-delay:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    Gotchas on "ship it!" button:

On orders that don't make a profit (orders placed when you are logged in or in galleries with no image pricing in place) the order does not appear in "sales details". Therefore, you won't be able to use the "ship it!" button to send the order off early. Tip: Avoid delay by changing proof days to 0 or 1 before placing the order.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dana,

See our help page on proof-delay:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

I hope this helps!

Yep that's exactly what happened. I knew my orders always shipped a lot faster that this one did. I better get busy and figure out that .01 deal on my pricing. Solve two problems at one time.

Thanks Andy
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Yep that's exactly what happened. I knew my orders always shipped a lot faster that this one did. I better get busy and figure out that .01 deal on my pricing. Solve two problems at one time.

Thanks Andy
    Cool :D Holler to the help desk if you need any help Dana.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Cool :D Holler to the help desk if you need any help Dana.
    I followed the pricing tutorial and I think I might have it right this time. I don't know what I did last time, but it sure was a mess.

Still confused as to how this works when I order, so I guess I'll have to make a new gallery and test it out.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    I followed the pricing tutorial and I think I might have it right this time. I don't know what I did last time, but it sure was a mess.

Still confused as to how this works when I order, so I guess I'll have to make a new gallery and test it out.
    Logout, and see thumb.gif better yet, use a 2nd browser, we LOVE FIREFOX and you can see your site as a client would, any time deal.gif
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Quick question:

I have been receiving email notices when someone places an order, but I noticed today that I had several orders delayed and only received one email notice. Is this by design or should I have received an email for each order placed by different people?

Thanks in advance. I'm loving the delayed print feature!!! wings.gif

Fred
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Techman1 wrote:
    Quick question:

I have been receiving email notices when someone places an order, but I noticed today that I had several orders delayed and only received one email notice. Is this by design or should I have received an email for each order placed by different people?

Thanks in advance. I'm loving the delayed print feature!!! wings.gif

Fred
    Each order that has photos proof delayed in it will generate an email to you.
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Andy,

Man you are fast!

That's what I had experienced prior to today, but on orders: 222814 and 222843 I received no email notification. I did receive an email on order 222908, which came in after those other two today.

These are all from a private gallery (2210049) under my account. Fred Dickinson.

If you need the direct link, I can PM it to you.

Thanks in advance or if I need to open a trouble ticket with the support desk, just let me know. Thanks again!

Fred