Options

The Proof-delayed Shipping Thread (Tips, Questions)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Is this true (the 8MB part)? In a previous post on this thread, Andy mentions something about using all the pixels captured to get the best print possible. What am I missing? It sounds like it I can't use all the pixels captured with replace photo?

Here's the quote from Andy I'm referencing:
    It is *not* true (the 8mb part).
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    lokerd wrote:

Anyway...just hoping it coule be added to teh feature request list. :)

Drew
    You can add it if you like, sure :D
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    Well, that is what I was doing, here.

Are you saying I need to repost this in here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47572 ...or will you add it to the list?

Thanks!
    Drew
    You should always put FRs in the featurequest thread, because the whole team sees that and it's the one place here where we go to see them all thumb.gif
  • Options
    bratsscrappybratsscrappy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Is there a way to change my settings for proof delays to all galleries at once?
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Is there a way to change my settings for proof delays to all galleries at once?
    Hi, sort of - quicksettings to the rescue thumb.gif
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sixth tip: If you order from your OWN proof delay gallery, the proof delay is STILL in effect but since there's no profit on the order, you cannot see or hit the ship it button. Avoid delay by changing proof days to 0 before placing the order.

Unfortunately, I did not know this until last week.

I had placed an order on March 30th on behalf of a customer. Only last week did I discover that they had not yet received it. Upon talking to tech support, they informed me that it was stuck in the proofing delay.

This really needs to be fixed. The work around of setting the 0 day delay should not be necessary. What if I change it and someone else orders pictures while the change is in effect? Worse, what if I accidentally forget to change it back? How hard can it be to code an automatic 0-day delay for photographer-placed orders? Obviously the system already knows it's me placing the order, else why does it give me the system prices and not my customer prices?
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    hat it was stuck in the proofing delay.

This really needs to be fixed.
    I'm sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do.
  • Options
    lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Hey Andy. I am with dwterry. I know the engineers are hard at work and are doing everything they can. But it seems like there are some real easy fixes for some small, but MAJOR, issues. SM does a great job of support, feedback and offering a great product. And maybe we take advantage of the open forum approach SM takes. It is nice to think we are being listened to. But it would be GREAT to KNOW we are by seeing some of these changes/suggestions/fixes implemented. Is there anyway to get a time lime or some feedback as to when or better yet IF they will address some of these challenges?

I know when I find an error on a website, I try to fix it right away. Maybe these things aren't being considered as errors, but to me, some of these "fixes" should be able to be done with minor amount of work. Variation of proof delay for owner versus guest may take some fancy code work, but there seem to be a lot of other "fixes" that should be a lot easier to fix, like getting the file name listed out in our proof emails...or seeing the file name when in the replace photo field.

Thanks for listening...and being our spokesperson to the engineers.

Drew

[Sorry this whole email is bold after '[/B][B]dwterry' can't seem to unbold.]
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    Hey Andy. I am with dwterry. I know the engineers are hard at work and are doing everything they can. But it seems like there are some real easy fixes for some small, but MAJOR, issues. SM does a great job of support, feedback and offering a great product. And maybe we take advantage of the open forum approach SM takes. It is nice to think we are being listened to. But it would be GREAT to KNOW we are by seeing some of these changes/suggestions/fixes implemented. Is there anyway to get a time lime or some feedback as to when or better yet IF they will address some of these challenges?

I know when I find an error on a website, I try to fix it right away. Maybe these things aren't being considered as errors, but to me, some of these "fixes" should be able to be done with minor amount of work. Variation of proof delay for owner versus guest may take some fancy code work, but there seem to be a lot of other "fixes" that should be a lot easier to fix, like getting the file name listed out in our proof emails...or seeing the file name when in the replace photo field.

Thanks for listening...and being our spokesperson to the engineers.

Drew

[Sorry this whole email is bold after '[/B][B]dwterry' can't seem to unbold.]
    Hi Drew, our product manager and engineers have seen your suggestions, and I've also discussed them with the team. We do not give timelines, but know this: our product has evolved primarily through great feedback from customers. But some things take time. I wish we could wave a wand!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    But some things take time. I wish we could wave a wand!

Thanks for the feedback! Here's to looking forward to the next big update: beer.gif

Drew
  • Options
    belfbelf Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    proof-delay replacement, replaces what?
    Hi There,

Let's say the following happens:

1) i upload a high resolution, low quality image to smugmug for proofing purposes to a gallery that has proof-delay turned on.
    2) a customer orders a 20x30 print of "photo A"
    3) i get an email notification
    4) i replace the file for "photo A" with new file which matches the resolution, sharpening, and quality requirements of the output size.

in step four, did i just replace the file for this specific order (and ONLY this specific order), or did i just replace the file for every instance of "photo A", including the gallery?

thanks in advance.
    Kim
    edited May 4, 2007
    I'm still not sure
    Say I have an image cropped as a 4x6. Someone orders an 8x10. Can I turn off their crop, make an 8x10 on my computer, upload it and it look ok?

Feature requests.
    I want to be able to have the originals watermarked, and for the watermark to be something that scales to the size of the image not a fixed size thing.
    My reasons are 1. say you shoot something on the road, have good internet at the hotel that night, you can upload the originals and have a backup in case your hard drive crashes, equipment stolen etc., and 2 there are times when it's preferrable for people to see the huge file so they can see the amount of detail that's in the image if they order a larger print. Surely instead of generating a duplicate of all large images with the watermark it could be done on the fly as people view them since it would be a small percentage that would view the originals compared to normal Smugmug sizes.

If you don't make that possible and i'm thinking the answer to the last guys question is once you replace a file it goes in the gallery, then change it where you have a choice for the replacement file to go in the gallery or just for the order. This way I can watermark my own originals. Then when someone orders, I correct the file, and upload for their order only, a version without the watermark.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    cmburns wrote:
    Say I have an image cropped as a 4x6. Someone orders an 8x10. Can I turn off their crop, make an 8x10 on my computer, upload it and it look ok?
    Yes. Best is to NOT crop on your end. Let the customer buy an 8x10 - YOU see the crop in your orders page. You can replace the photo with new image, and then YOU can re-adjust any cropping in the orders page.
    Feature requests.
    I want to be able to have the originals watermarked, and for the watermark to be something that scales to the size of the image not a fixed size thing.
    My reasons are 1. say you shoot something on the road, have good internet at the hotel that night, you can upload the originals and have a backup in case your hard drive crashes, equipment stolen etc., and 2 there are times when it's preferrable for people to see the huge file so they can see the amount of detail that's in the image if they order a larger print. Surely instead of generating a duplicate of all large images with the watermark it could be done on the fly as people view them since it would be a small percentage that would view the originals compared to normal Smugmug sizes.

If you don't make that possible and i'm thinking the answer to the last guys question is once you replace a file it goes in the gallery, then change it where you have a choice for the replacement file to go in the gallery or just for the order. This way I can watermark my own originals. Then when someone orders, I correct the file, and upload for their order only, a version without the watermark.
    We won't watermark the originals, sorry - we don't modify them :) And, it would ruin the printing, as we must print from the originals..

wave.gif welcome!
  • Options
    belfbelf Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yes. Best is to NOT crop on your end. Let the customer buy an 8x10 - YOU see the crop in your orders page. You can replace the photo with new image, and then YOU can re-adjust any cropping in the orders page.
    We won't watermark the originals, sorry - we don't modify them :) And, it would ruin the printing, as we must print from the originals..

wave.gif welcome!

hello andy,

you've responded to the last post but skipped over my question. can you please take a crack at it?

thanks
    edited May 4, 2007
    belf wrote:
    hello andy, you've responded to the last post but skipped over my question. can you please take a crack at it? thanks

for those reading this thread in the future, i got the answer after sending an email to help@smugmug.com. the answer i got from smugmug (anne) was:

"In step 4, using the "replace photo" tool, you're actually permanently
    replacing that image on your SmugMug site. So, all future orders will
    involve that newly replaced image, not the old low-quality image."
    edited May 4, 2007
    belf wrote:
    for those reading this thread in the future, i got the answer after sending an email to help@smugmug.com. the answer i got from smugmug (anne) was:

"In step 4, using the "replace photo" tool, you're actually permanently
    replacing that image on your SmugMug site. So, all future orders will
    involve that newly replaced image, not the old low-quality image."
    Yes - sorry about that :D In your step four above, when replacing a photo, you are permanently replacing it on SmugMug. nod.gif
  • Options
    alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Bulk replacement?????
    Andy,
    I had a customer order 35 pics from the same gallery. I would like to workflow these and then upload them all at once. Is this possible, or do I have to do it one at time?

Thanks
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com
    www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    alixmiles wrote:
    Andy,
    I had a customer order 35 pics from the same gallery. I would like to workflow these and then upload them all at once. Is this possible, or do I have to do it one at time?

Thanks
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com
    I'm sorry, there is no bulk replace. I wish I had a better answer for you.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry, there is no bulk replace. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com

• Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    alixmiles wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Barry

This is where self fulfillment would be handy.
    www.lawsonimages.com

• Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Bulk replacement
    This would be a great feature. I have a couple hundred pictures ordered from a wedding. I am spending most of my day today replacing each picture one at a time and my internet seems to be hanging up every now and then...There is no way I will finish today. It feels like such a waste of valuable time. I normally bulk upload with star explorer...maybe someone on this great forum can create an application to bulk replace? I challenge you :)

Just wanted to throw my name in there as someone else requesting this feature.

Tina
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited June 26, 2007
    T4Tots wrote:
    This would be a great feature. I have a couple hundred pictures ordered from a wedding. I am spending most of my day today replacing each picture one at a time and my internet seems to be hanging up every now and then...There is no way I will finish today. It feels like such a waste of valuable time. I normally bulk upload with star explorer...maybe someone on this great forum can create an application to bulk replace? I challenge you :)

Just wanted to throw my name in there as someone else requesting this feature.

Tina
    Dev's adding Replace to the API so that hopefully, some SmugHackers will create some cool replace Apps - maybe part of SmugBrowser, or StarExplorer, etc thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    Need Bulk Replace urgently!!
    T4Tots wrote:
    I am spending most of my day today replacing each picture one at a time and my internet seems to be hanging up every now and then... It feels like such a waste of valuable time....maybe someone on this great forum can create an application to bulk replace? I challenge you :)
    Tina

Tina, I know EXACTLY how you feel. What is otherwise an awesome system (proof delay) and in what only takes minutes to process (a file TO replace) takes hours to individually upload any number of files.

I know they are working on it...and I see that Andy has replied that they are making some tweaks to open the door...but I hope they come through with something soon. I have a few more weddings coming up...and just finished three in a row...and really fear an onslaught of orders that could ruin my day!

Drew
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    I have a few more weddings coming up...and just finished three in a row...and really fear an onslaught of orders that could ruin my day!

Drew

Absolutely! That is my day today. Another 110 prints were ordered this morning and it is taking 3 minutes per picture to upload for some not so normal ungodly reason (cable modem). That's 330 minutes if I don't leave the computer for a minute.

Andy...Thanks so much for the quick response!! I would love for Nikolai to jump in and add it to star explorer (which already saves me an amazing amount of time)

T
    edited June 26, 2007
    Two small changes would help a lot!?!?!
    T4Tots wrote:
    Absolutely! That is my day today. Another 110 prints were ordered this morning and it is taking 3 minutes per picture to upload for some not so normal ungodly reason (cable modem). That's 330 minutes if I don't leave the computer for a minute.
    T

Part of my problem with the system could be fixed with what I think should be pretty easy fixes. Like once you get to the browse dialiog screen...if it simply indicated what the file name is that I am looking for. The way I do is that while one picture is uploading, I am working on the next picture in Photoshop. Of course, the upload takes most of the time, out of 5 pictures, invariably, I have to cancel, go look at the one I am needing to find, and then go back to the replace screen. Also, if we had the file name in the proof delay email, it would be very help in preparing to do the edits...so that we don't have to wait for the screen to draw out between clicks to know what is next, etc.

Drew
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    Also, if we had the file name in the proof delay email, it would be very help in preparing to do the edits...

Drew

I would love to have the img numbers in the email as a list for editing because I print the order and it takes up a ton of paper (I print without the images, but there is still a blank space there that takes up room).
    edited June 27, 2007
    I just noticed today that I had two different orders from 6-22 that I never recieved my proof-delay email about so I had no idea untill I noticed my profit had gone up in the control panel. Luckily I had proof delay set to 5 days, so I still had time to replace them and send them off to print. I had an order on 6-20 from the same set of galleries that I did get my email notification from. I checked the spam folder of my email to see if it got filtered out (not that it should if I just got the one from 6-20) but there was nothing in there either. The order numbers were 325529 and 325590.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Elysium wrote:
    I just noticed today that I had two different orders from 6-22 that I never recieved my proof-delay email about so I had no idea untill I noticed my profit had gone up in the control panel. Luckily I had proof delay set to 5 days, so I still had time to replace them and send them off to print. I had an order on 6-20 from the same set of galleries that I did get my email notification from. I checked the spam folder of my email to see if it got filtered out (not that it should if I just got the one from 6-20) but there was nothing in there either. The order numbers were 325529 and 325590.
    Hi, who is your email provider please, so we can check on it? Check to see btw, if your email provider is blocking mails from SmugMug for some reason - it's happened before.

Also, silly question, but did you check your spam folder?
  • Options
    ElysiumElysium Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, who is your email provider please, so we can check on it? Check to see btw, if your email provider is blocking mails from SmugMug for some reason - it's happened before.

Also, silly question, but did you check your spam folder?

It's Gmail, and as I stated, there is nothing from smugmug in the spam folder.

I had just recieved a notification a few days ago on an order, so it would seem strange that all of a sudden gmail would start blocking it or putting it in the spam folder.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Elysium wrote:
    It's Gmail, and as I stated, there is nothing from smugmug in the spam folder.

I had just recieved a notification a few days ago on an order, so it would seem strange that all of a sudden gmail would start blocking it or putting it in the spam folder.

Same thing here. Even stranger was that the last few orders this past week went straight to shipping (something Andy and them already know)...but I ALSO had an order appear wtih no proof email...although I have received two more since then, including one today?!?!

Drew