Comments

• mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Hey Nikolai, my entry for one...

This is my "One"

2912363902_a813de08b4.jpg
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Hey Nikoli! I know I've already participated in this assignment, but here's the "One" I'd been wanting to do all along:

One
    One-DSC_8870.jpg

And for extra credit:

Minus One
    Minus-One-aDSC_8865.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Joe'sMomJoe'sMom Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2008
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    mpaulie wrote:
    Hey Nikolai, my entry for one...
    This is my "One"
    Michael, if you read lead post more carefully, the one is more about the concept, not just having a single subject. It's a nice portrait, but the concept is not there... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 14, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Hey Nikoli! I know I've already participated in this assignment, but here's the "One" I'd been wanting to do all along:
    One
    And for extra credit:
    Minus One
    Lee, interesting take on the assignment, thank you!thumb.gif
    edited October 14, 2008
    Joe'sMom wrote:
    single ant on the flower
    Beth, while displaying single ant on a single flower, the concept of "oneness" is not expressed clearly here imho ne_nau.gif
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Michael, if you read lead post more carefully, the one is more about the concept, not just having a single subject. It's a nice portrait, but the concept is not there... ne_nau.gif

Thanks, I was taking the concept part a little differently, I understand now.
  • LevvyLevvy Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2009
    This assignment seems to be tripping a lot of people up, so here's my take - they're both a bit of a stretch.

467304221_mmhV2-L.jpg

467304907_uKcUh-L.jpg
    edited February 3, 2009
    Levvy wrote:
    This assignment seems to be tripping a lot of people up, so here's my take - they're both a bit of a stretch.
    I like #1. thumb.gif
    #2 - not so much, not clear what is your "focus" point (i.e. primary character) ne_nau.gif
  • jorogumejorogume Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2009
    Well, Keeping on with the assignments here is my second one, mmm... actually it is my first "One" mwink.gif.

one.jpg

Note: I hope this PP is not violating the 6th rule. But if anyone consider it is, just let me know.
    edited March 2, 2009
    jorogume wrote:
    Well, Keeping on with the assignments here is my second one, mmm... actually it is my first "One" mwink.gif.
    Note: I hope this PP is not violating the 6th rule. But if anyone consider it is, just let me know.
    Good "one" thank you! thumb.gif
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Not just one, 1, two 1s.

520160368_bb3Ya-L.jpg

I like to find my pictures rather than fabricate them...
    geoff
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,940 moderator
    edited April 25, 2009
    Two Takes on One Tree
    I have been juggling a couple of these assignments in my mind as I move toward spending more time on photography and various techniques.

This particular assignment is quite challenging. I wanted to see if I could make this tree the focus of a photo and convey "one" but see what you think.

One Tree, Many Branches, Reaching to the Sky
    519804438_8Uvr6-M.jpg

Barren Tree in a Sea of Green
    519804371_FbqGq-M.jpg

This tree will soon be in leaf with the weather in the 80s here this weekend, but right now it is rather stark compared with the plant life below and nearby.
    edited April 25, 2009
    Not just one, 1, two 1s.
    I like to find my pictures rather than fabricate them...
    It'd be near perfect in my book if it wasn't for extra bird...ne_nau.gif
    edited April 25, 2009
    sapphire73 wrote:
    I have been juggling a couple of these assignments in my mind as I move toward spending more time on photography and various techniques.

This particular assignment is quite challenging. I wanted to see if I could make this tree the focus of a photo and convey "one" but see what you think.
    One Tree, Many Branches, Reaching to the Sky
    Barren Tree in a Sea of Green

This tree will soon be in leaf with the weather in the 80s here this weekend, but right now it is rather stark compared with the plant life below and nearby.

Thank you for your entries!
    First two are too busy IMHO to deliver any idea of oneness and loneliness ne_nau.gif
    Third image is no show, can't say...
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,940 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for your entries!
    First two are too busy IMHO to deliver any idea of oneness and loneliness ne_nau.gif
    Third image is no show, can't say...

I agree that neither gives a sense of loneliness. At the beginning of this thread there was something about "One dominating object. Or one dominating color" and I thought the first image might fit the dominating object category because of the perspective and all. I didn't post the third image yet, which jumps off the one dominating color idea, because I wanted to see whether either tree photo image of the tree worked. Conveying loneliness is definitely more challenging! Thank you for your input on these.

Here is a "one dominating color" photo that I took the other day.
    520938566_qyCNF-M.jpg

I took this photo of a dandelion after photographing the tree, but today I see that someone else entered a photo of a dandelion....
    519825693_d5J9y-M.jpg
    edited April 26, 2009
    sapphire73 wrote:
    I agree that neither gives a sense of loneliness. At the beginning of this thread there was something about "One dominating object. Or one dominating color" and I thought the first image might fit the dominating object category because of the perspective and all. I didn't post the third image yet, which jumps off the one dominating color idea, because I wanted to see whether either tree photo image of the tree worked. Conveying loneliness is definitely more challenging! Thank you for your input on these.

Here is a "one dominating color" photo that I took the other day.

I took this photo of a dandelion after photographing the tree, but today I see that someone else entered a photo of a dandelion....

Dominant color will do, although I wouldn't think of it without the textual hint, since it's not obvious what the image is about.

Second one definitely shows one, but in a very entry-level way. Dull dead center composition, no context ne_nau.gif

PLease keep in mind that we're trying to create good photographs, which, apart from their inherent quality, also follow strict rules of the assignments...
    edited April 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dull dead center composition, no context ne_nau.gif

PLease keep in mind that we're trying to create good photographs, which, apart from their inherent quality, also follow strict rules of the assignments...

Yes, I tried to pick the photographs that I felt were strongest (the ones of the trees) and set others aside for just that reason - especially the dead center dandelion!

I can see why you said in another thread that there have been relatively few images which conveyed "oneness" effectively. Definitely a challenge!

Thanks.
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It'd be near perfect in my book if it wasn't for extra bird...ne_nau.gif

I had 3 or 4 similar frames. I liked this one with the bird because it was one lone bird flying over a swamp with one lone telephone pole. Looking at the frames I felt like this had more oneness than the frames without the bird. :D
    geoff
  • KennoKenno Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2009
    While out shooting simple shapes, (for week one). I also was thinking about week two. (It happens when you're a hundred odd weeks behind).

One hole in the fence.

3529991093_ff13891813.jpg

One dominant colour

3530806766_9424812a85.jpg

I appreciate any and all feedback given. And thanks again for keeping this class running, for all us late joiners. I'll keep my eyes out for that image that implies "oneness" or solitude.

K
    edited May 15, 2009
    Kenno wrote:
    While out shooting simple shapes, (for week one). I also was thinking about week two. (It happens when you're a hundred odd weeks behind).

One hole in the fence.
    One dominant colour

I appreciate any and all feedback given. And thanks again for keeping this class running, for all us late joiners. I'll keep my eyes out for that image that implies "oneness" or solitude.

K
    Thank you Kenno!
    I like the hole. Rose - not so much, but that possibly me, I'm severely biased against flowers, pets, kids and other regular cute stuff...
  • KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Not the greatest image, but I was shooting some coins for my website, and thought I would post it. Shot with a cheaper camera... a Nikon coolpix. Hopefully it fits the theme of ONE
    edited May 22, 2009
    KellyC wrote:
    Not the greatest image, but I was shooting some coins for my website, and thought I would post it. Shot with a cheaper camera... a Nikon coolpix. Hopefully it fits the theme of ONE
    I agree - nearly perfect assignment fit! thumb.gif
    edited June 13, 2009
    On the Fence
    562280274_3KCwo-L.jpg
    edited June 13, 2009
    sapphire73 wrote:
    On the fence
    Great! clap.gif
    edited June 13, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great! clap.gif

I have had this shot in mind for two months, but it seems that birds in Pennsylvania are not as fond of sitting on fences and wires as in the midwest. Finally had the opportunity to grab this shot last night. Glad you like it!
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Single hiker

585412218_C9Czz-L.jpg
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
    edited July 8, 2009
    sdways01 wrote:
    Single hiker
    Very nice, thank you, Adam! thumb.gif
  • banditbandit Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Hi everyone
    i am new to this forum please go easy on me i just got a sony a230 with 50mm lense and have taken quite a few shots i am really interested in doing the assignments starting with this one

this is my picture for one i took it recently at a local aquarium
    i cant remember what the creature is called here is the link
    36229402916190671586825.th.jpg

how will i find out if i passed this one or not
    Just a normal guy who see's eveything as one big picture (just wish my memory card was big enough lol)
    edited July 1, 2010
    bandit wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    i am new to this forum please go easy on me i just got a sony a230 with 50mm lense and have taken quite a few shots i am really interested in doing the assignments starting with this one

this is my picture for one i took it recently at a local aquarium
    i cant remember what the creature is called here is the link
    36229402916190671586825.th.jpg

how will i find out if i passed this one or not
    1) Thank you for joining the Class!
    2) Can you post a bigger image?
    3) While it kinda has "one something", it's a snapshot. We're looking for a slightly better quality images here. At this point my only thoughts are not about the "oneness", but about "ok, it's a snapshot taken in green mode with a built-in flash".
    Care to do better? mwink.gif