edited August 29, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    the fact that I have teens...oh, wait that explains the facial tic

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Three of them, here. I know the feeling :uhoh
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    . there's got to be a better way so that we know this kind of thing is being scheduled.

Thank you.

Tony Bonanno
    Tony, I agree with you. You can bet that I'll be talking to the team about this. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how important this is to you!
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Everything seems, up and good and fast to me now. clap.gif
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Tony BonannoTony Bonanno Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2006
    Thanks Andy !
    Andy wrote:
    Tony, I agree with you. You can bet that I'll be talking to the team about this. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how important this is to you!
  • Options
    FlashFlash Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    You guys said this crap was not going to happen again and now the stats are out AGAIN.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Hmm, still having issues on www.tippiepics.com. My slideshow isn't working... (Worked last night.)

Just sitting here patiently waiting!

Oh, and I have to say (after working for a software company) that I'm blown away by the response and support from SmugMug. I am definitely one of the biggest supporters. You people ROCK. clap.gif

ETA: It's working now... thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Flash wrote:
    You guys said this crap was not going to happen again and now the stats are out AGAIN.
    Ouch - I see you are frustrated - hang in there, we've no indication that stats will be affected - I'm sure it's just a matter of time for them to come back up.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I spoke too soon too. Site is down again. Obviously kinks are still being ironed out. No biggie!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I'm sure we will be told when they are done. I'm another vote for e-mail notification.

James.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I'm another vote for e-mail notification.

James.

+1 :D
  • Options
    WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    OK, we're done for now, sorry for the extra time it took.

We understand the inconvenience of no stats, however we had to make the call to restore as much of the site as possible. We'll continue to work on bringing stats back online ASAP.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wireless wrote:

We understand the inconvenience of no stats, however we had to make the call to restore as much of the site as possible. We'll continue to work on bringing stats back online ASAP.

am I going to have to make another t-shirt???
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wireless wrote:

A little more information before I fall into a coma: we managed to move hundreds of servers, and hundreds of terabytes. But one of them (which happens to be a core part of the stats tracking) won't boot now.

We have spares if we can't fix it, so it's just a matter of taking an hour or so to make sure it's working and the data is intact - but we're all wiped out. And wiped out people messing with mission critical stuff = bad news.

So we'll get the stats back online as soon as we've gotten a little sleep.

Sorry for the delay!

Don
  • Options
    photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wireless wrote:

I'm surprisingly calm over here...was about to start making phone calls about "yearbook photos" so, I can get started on those...glad I checked back. Should I shelve this for today? Do you think by this afternoon everything will be up?
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • Options
    WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    I'm surprisingly calm over here...was about to start making phone calls about "yearbook photos" so, I can get started on those...glad I checked back. Should I shelve this for today? Do you think by this afternoon everything will be up?

'Everything' is up besides stats, so if that component is critical to your work, you might want to consider rescheduling.

Otherwise, the bits are flying well around the new datacenter :)
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    So we'll get the stats back online as soon as we've gotten a little sleep.

No...no, sleep for you...keep working.:baldy

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Smugmug is really slow right now. It takes 20-30 seconds for any gallery to respond.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    'Everything' is up besides stats, so if that component is critical to your work, you might want to consider rescheduling.

Otherwise, the bits are flying well around the new datacenter :)
    You guys rock!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work! As long as my customer and I can be looking at the same screen...we're good to go! thumb.gif

• Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Smugmug is really slow right now. It takes 20-30 seconds for any gallery to respond.
    it's a comin'...patience...breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth...now, one more time. It should be there now.:D

• Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    it's a comin'...patience...breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth...now, one more time. It should be there now.:D
    Actually according to smugmug support it's already there besides stats:
    Wireless wrote:
    I am just here to give them some feedback on what I am experiencing with my service, no need for come me down :D
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Just fyi -- the site is NOT up for me: leebase.smugmug.com -- 11:17am Central. I wouldn't bother posting, but you are saying the site is up.

Lee
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Is the migration/maintenance still happening? I'm having a great deal of difficulty maneuvering my site:

www.dramatpix.com

I can hit the main page alright, but trying to navigate through the galleries is vewy vewy slow (when it actually goes to the page at all).

Is this a known issue? Is it being worked on? Am I just a moron?

Thanks
    B~
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    leebase wrote:
    Just fyi -- the site is NOT up for me: leebase.smugmug.com -- 11:17am Central. I wouldn't bother posting, but you are saying the site is up.

Lee

I can get to your site from here (So CAL) but the galleries are very slow just like on my site (20-30 sec response time).
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    SmugMug runs in fits & starts
    I the "for what it's worth column" I also am experiencing strange behavior. The pages get served up either in zip time or the browser times out. There does not seem to be a pattern to the behavior.

Site: scottquier.smugmug.com

I guess I'll just sit back, breath in through the nose, out through the mouth ... ommmmmmm, ooooommmmmmmm Ah, all better now.

I'll check back in an hour or two to see if things have improved.

Thanks again for all your hard work. If SmugMug runs like dGrin is now, things are going to be very cool very soon!
  • Options
    Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Should things all be working now?????? Just checking.
    Looks like things are getting back to normal. Should everything be working now?
    Wireless wrote:
    This evening, we will be performing equipment moves that require us to take down SmugMug for a few hours. We will do everything possible to minimize the amount of time we will be down.

The work will be performed from 10:00pm to 06:00am Pacific time, Monday night 8/28 to Tuesday morning 8/29.

If tonight is a success, we will follow it up with a brief outage tomorrow, Tuesday night, to upgrade our load balancers. More information will be posted about that later.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    survivor t-shirt?
    Mike Lane wrote:
    am I going to have to make another t-shirt???

Not everyone has survived "the great maintenance of 2006" yet though-- so don't print 'em up just yet!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Actually according to smugmug support it's already there besides stats:

I mean't breathe for the 20-30 seconds it takes to come up. Mine is working...just a tad slow.

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Mine too, having to click on things two or three times to get pages to change, etc.

I imagine with a big move everything may take some time to get smoothed out.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    nice video...
    The video was really interesting and I was happy to see it. Just reinforces my thinking that I made the right decision to move to Smugmug.

My photography is just a little hobby-- but still important to me-- and I am glad that Smugmug takes my hobby as seriously as they do the pro's buisness.

Thanks.
  • Options
    cjkphotocjkphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Murphy's law kicked in, badly I might add.
    After a trial for the pro account, I was impressed.
    My first client since I started digital (and a good friend of mine) wanted to view the pictures from a coffee shop last night. And we got the maint. page.
    Needless to say, I was horrified. She wasn't impressed. It was a hard shoot for her and my new assistant. She wanted to show some the initial work to some people we met there.
    Bad. Major maint. needs to go back on to email alerts. And default to 'on' in the CP. If people are really that bugged about one email every few months or so, let them.
    I was lucky I copied a couple of the photos on my usb drive to play around with on PS.
    BTW-It's still crawling with a goo of slowness. I'm sure that will be fixed in a while...and we'll all go back to uploading and downloading and having loads of fun, but this is seriously bad.