Maintenance Alert: 8/28 10:00pm - 06:00am PDT

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    It's alright Greg. eek7.gif No worries! thumb.gif

So, Any ideas on which cookies I need to deal with? I did find, and DEL, the following: seymore@smugmug[1].txt & seymore@moorefoto.smugmug[2].txt. However the moorefoto.smugmug has not reappeared. :cry Any thoughts for me Andy.

ps: I know you're a MAC guy. But let me know if you have any thoughts.
    Well, why not just delete all your smugmug.com cookies? ear.gif
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Well, why not just delete all your smugmug.com cookies? ear.gif
    DISREGARD GREG! Errrr.... Andy. :D Looks like another re-boot resolved my current issues with SM. Thanks for the comm on this. thumb.gif

And, I know what you ment. But, you're the first to call me Sid. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Seymore wrote:

ps: I know you're a MAC guy. But let me know if you have any thoughts.

No worries - I'm a MAC NUT! But, like all of us here at SmugMug, I run Windows and IE6 too, so that we can support our customers :D
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No worries - I'm a MAC NUT! But, like all of us here at SmugMug, I run Windows and IE6 too, so that we can support our customers :D

Likely story. Your just a closet Wintel fanatic and you know it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I have to mimic Andy with this reply...
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Andy wrote:
    Thanks again Andy... Glad to have you here.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 30, 2006
    cjkphoto wrote:
    But the intentions were for nothing but the best.
    As I said before, lessons to be learned. Not everyone is perfect.
    The biggest lesson I learned was something we should have known: we need opt-in email.

Great intentions are ironically what kept us from being able to see it; the last thing we wanted was to be like the annoying spammers our customers rail against.

We've heard so many times how much our customers hate receiving unsolicited email and how horrified they are to learn that at other photo sharing sites their visitors have to register, only to be spammed...

Anyway, we're working on opt-in email now so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    very cool
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks,
    Baldy

This is the answer many, many of us are excited to hear! Thank you for listening. We all hate spam as much as the SM folks, but I'd hardly call an outage notification e-mail a "spam". Especially if I ask to recieve it!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Message Center?
    Baldy wrote:
    The biggest lesson I learned was something we should have known: we need opt-in email.
    Isn't this precisely what "Message Center" was intended for? I thought the idea was to use message center to broadcast site info without creating the illusion of spam. I think it still should be considered as an option among "Opt Out" and "E-mail notification".
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    Isn't this precisely what "Message Center" was intended for? I thought the idea was to use message center to broadcast site info without creating the illusion of spam. I think it still should be considered as an option among "Opt Out" and "E-mail notification".

That would work, but not all the time.
    If i'm not online all the time, but do check my e-mail from time to time, i get to read the e-mail even when (during) the system is down. When the system is down, i can not read messages in the message center...
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    That would work, but not all the time.
    If i'm not online all the time, but do check my e-mail from time to time, i get to read the e-mail even when (during) the system is down. When the system is down, i can not read messages in the message center...
    15524779-Ti.gif Also my computer automagically tells me when I've got new mail. Plus I don't consider opt-in notifications of downtime, updates, and other info that could affect my site's status spam. I would probably even opt in to a monthly newsletter if there was one.

I'm just saying...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Baldy wrote:

Great intentions are ironically what kept us from being able to see it; the last thing we wanted was to be like the annoying spammers our customers rail against.

We've heard so many times how much our customers hate receiving unsolicited email and how horrified they are to learn that at other photo sharing sites their visitors have to register, only to be spammed...

Thanks,
    Baldy

Here's a question to make your head spin:
    For those who don't read dgrin or check release notes or anything like that and were blindsided by the maintenance outage, how will they know that there's a way to opt-in to get notification emails like that unless you send them an email saying that the opt-in is available?
    headscratch.gifwink
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    mbrady wrote:
    Here's a question to make your head spin:
    For those who don't read dgrin or check release notes or anything like that and were blindsided by the maintenance outage, how will they know that there's a way to opt-in to get notification emails like that unless you send them an email saying that the opt-in is available?
    headscratch.gifwink
    rolleyes1.gif
    How would they know there is such a thing as Smugmug, uh... i mean the internet, at all!!!! ????
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thank You Guys!!!!
    WOW! I just viewed some galleries and was I impressed! The new conversion is really smokin'!!! I was able to fly through the galleries faster than a flying...well, you know!!! Thanks guys!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Question: Is the update officially over and is everyone back up and running???? The reason I ask is that a Dgrinner I communicate with (via PM) their site is entirely gone, they are no longer listed in the members roster at Dgrin, or Daily Photo, etc. I have no other means of reaching this member and was curious if there are still some problems???? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    WOW! I just viewed some galleries and was I impressed! The new conversion is really smokin'!!! I was able to fly through the galleries faster than a flying...well, you know!!! Thanks guys!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Question: Is the update officially over and is everyone back up and running???? The reason I ask is that a Dgrinner I communicate with (via PM) their site is entirely gone, they are no longer listed in the members roster at Dgrin, or Daily Photo, etc. I have no other means of reaching this member and was curious if there are still some problems???? ne_nau.gif
    The move is finished and all is back to normal production. Nobody's site was lost - perhaps they changed their site name? What was the site?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The move is finished and all is back to normal production. Nobody's site was lost - perhaps they changed their site name? What was the site?
    I believe Susan meant the page of Sayntbrigid. She's still in my friends list, but with a strange looking username (0985sayntbrigid) and when I try to access the new username it only gets redirected to the smugmug homepage. ne_nau.gif

I've already contacted her. Is her account completly gone? Maybe someone got access to it and closed it?

Thanks for looking into it,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Hi Sebastian...yes, I was looking for Sayntbrigid...
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    I believe Susan meant the page of Sayntbrigid. She's still in my friends list, but with a strange looking username (0985sayntbrigid) and when I try to access the new username it only gets redirected to the smugmug homepage. ne_nau.gif

I've already contacted her. Is her account completly gone? Maybe someone got access to it and closed it?

Thanks for looking into it,
    Sebastian
    It appears she has closed her account.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It appears she has closed her account.
    Thanks for letting me know. It's strange - hopefully she's getting my mail.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thank you Andy for letting us know.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Thank you Andy for letting us know.

A google search for sayntbrigid takes you to her myspace page...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops