Options

Maintenance Alert: 8/28 10:00pm - 06:00am PDT

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    igoforit wrote:
    It doesn't seem to be that bad consistently.... I tried a few things and then I thought it was a problem only with my album that I uploaded yesterday night. That now seems to go faster as well, but I assume that may be because the images have been cashed on my HD by now.
    Hope that response times will be OK (or even better then before) once all issues have been solved.
    Jos
    Hadn't thought of that so I cleared my cashe and did it again. Still screams!!!!clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Options
    igoforitigoforit Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We've actually just heard from Onethumb, who did a bit more to the system, and things should be dramatically improved - have a look and report back please :D
    I confirm that things seem to be OK now.
    Jos
  • Options
    cjkphotocjkphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I understand your wanting to come to the support of the people that run the service, but from my perspective, I'm new here... my account is less than a month old, and to see this kind or performance is a little frustrating. The thing that makes it more frustrating is the fact that I've yet to see anyone with authority offer some kind of explanation other than there has been a major database transfer. Now mind you I've not read every thread, but I've posted numerous messages in two threads regarding performance today and have not seen a reply.

Just one man's perspective.

Brett
    That is the frustrating thing about it. I was just 10 days into my 14 day trial, and upped the ante to the pro account over the weekend.
    It's Tuesday, and that means that it's only about 80% uptime for me. Not good.
    And things are still slow.
    Wait a second. Update us again, I just checked and it's lighting fast.
    Hopefully some lessons were learned on this. Please email us for major outages.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    another man's perspective
    I understand your wanting to come to the support of the people that run the service, but from my perspective, I'm new here... my account is less than a month old, and to see this kind or performance is a little frustrating. The thing that makes it more frustrating is the fact that I've yet to see anyone with authority offer some kind of explanation other than there has been a major database transfer. Now mind you I've not read every thread, but I've posted numerous messages in two threads regarding performance today and have not seen a reply.

Just one man's perspective.

Brett
    Just to be clear, I'm not connected to SM in any way other than I am a happy customer... even with the issues today. Yeah, the slowness is driving me nuts, but I gotta point out (again) that over at pbase right now (another very popular photo site), people with paid accounts can't even upload photos (and this has been going on for four days now) and pbase is ignoring any questions about what is going on. It's rumored that the owners may be on their way to Burning Man, BTW.

But I look through the threads here, and I see several responses from the SM CEO himself (Don, you're not the Burning Man type? Or is there still time to head over?) And I gotta say Andy Williams is absolutely amazing when it comes to customer service-- yes, he's with SM-- and he's helped me out so much in the past it's amazing. And he's been posting here all day too.

So anyway, just wanted to offer up another man's perspective. I'll bet the SM folks are scrambling to fix the problems-- and honestly, I'd rather they work on that than waste time chiming in here! Anyways, long ago I complained once on dpreview about smugmug being slow and some guy responded that if I wasn't happy, I should set up my own website on my own server. Of course his comment steamed me-- but he was right. And when I researched my own site on a server and the design involved and the updating and cost and all that, well, smugmug started to seem like a mighty good deal again.

And just so you know, I've certainly posted my share of "WTF is going on with SM?!" and every time, I've had a SM person (sometimes even a customer) talk some sense into me. So use this downtime to catch up on post-production, design a postcard promo, call some potential clients... yeah, yeah easy for me to say, right? But ironically, photographers actually used to exist before websites.

So what did I do today since my website is basically too slow to use (and I can't upload anything to my backup-- pbase)? I actually met in person with a potential client and booked a paid shoot. She didn't care about my website problems-- she cared about my photography skills.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    I'll bet the SM folks are scrambling to fix the problems--
    They sure are. It was a shame that we had to move from one datacenter that ran out of space to a new one, and another painful shame that it triggered performance problems.

Five of us were on the move team last night including the three guys who are most critical for performance tuning. They're on the case as we speak but did take some hours for sleep the first half of today.

We have 26 new servers on the way that had to wait for the new data center before we could install them.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    They sure are. It was a shame that we had to move from one datacenter that ran out of space to a new one, and another painful shame that it triggered performance problems.

Five of us were on the move team last night including the three guys who are most critical for performance tuning. They're on the case as we speak but did take some hours for sleep the first half of today.

We have 26 new servers on the way that had to wait for the new data center before we could install them.

Thanks,
    Baldy
    26 new servers? eek7.gif No wonder it's so fast now.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I know things can get frustrating but that insinuation IMHO is over the top. But maybe that's just me.

I'm with you there.

It has to be said that SM consistantly do their best.

That might not sound like much when things don't go smoothly- and I'll complain along with the rest when Murphy joins in as well, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they do right, I do.

I understand things go wrong sometimes, and of course it causes much gnashing of the teeth, renting of raiment and so forth when it does, but I put it down to experience

SM consistently doing their best however means that they learn, and demonstrate that they learn, from their mistakes; are constantly striving to make SM a better experience ( and generally succeeding!) and show a very human face, (which has a lot of value AFAIC) are always innovating and do have the best customer service I have seen so far on the net, and are good value. Their best is, as far as I can see for the service they offer, the best on the net, (just ;-))

So their best is good enough for methumb.gif

OH - and they are Mac afficionadosthumb.gif:D:Dthumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Just to be clear, I'm not connected to SM in any way other than I am a happy customer... even with the issues today. Yeah, the slowness is driving me nuts, but I gotta point out (again) that over at pbase right now (another very popular photo site), people with paid accounts can't even upload photos (and this has been going on for four days now) and pbase is ignoring any questions about what is going on. It's rumored that the owners may be on their way to Burning Man, BTW.
    Good to know that we are not the only once to experience downtime but why measure to the worst of the crop?

I can tell you for example that I've had yahoo.com mail/dsl and hosting services and they never let me down -- so lets encourage SM to look up to the big boys not the garage type operations -- we will all benefit in the end.

I personally want SM to be the best of the best.

Things are working much better now by the way! thumb.gif
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wow! Lightning Fast!!! Way to go smumug!

I love it!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    26 new servers? eek7.gif No wonder it's so fast now.

Actually, those haven't arrived yet. But we have space for them now :)
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    Actually, those haven't arrived yet. But we have space for them now :)
    :jawdrop
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Wow... I'm impressed and glad that I didn't get torn to shreds with my speaking my mind earlier. I'm glad that it was taken in the context it was meant.. (merely an observation from a newcomer).

The service and customer service is awesome.

Thanks SM for taking the initiative to make things better, and forgive me for my impatience and momentary lapse of trust. :)

Brett
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    clap.gif Thanks a ton for the big upgrade in performance ! clap.gif

thumb.gif Happy customer !
  • Options
    photo_momphoto_mom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Awesome!
    Have had a smugmug account for over a year and lurked here once in awhile. Had to de-lurk to tell you that your uptime is very impressive, the maintenance periods are short and sweet, and everytime there's been maintenance it's been followed by a vast improvement. Every e-mail I've sent to support has been answered with speed and been very helpful. Keep up the good work and take this as a huge pat on the back for this very successful upgrade! clap.gifthumbclap.gifthumb
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    FYI at least my stats have returned thumb.gif For the life of me I do not understand why people would consider notification spam ne_nau.gif but to each his/her own I suppose. I too work in IT and have pulled my own share of all nighters (as a matter of fact last night was one of them umph.gif) The service has been good so far for me (this is my first glitch since signing on).

So count me in for a little check box on the control panel to give me notifications. mwink.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cjkphotocjkphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Well...I do see how much the staff and dgrin moderators are dedicated to smugmug. It's a bummer for everyone involved.
    But the intentions were for nothing but the best.
    As I said before, lessons to be learned. Not everyone is perfect.
    And uber photo hosting sites offering a huge variety of services isn't a defined science like say running a simple bulletin board.
    It just happened to be really bad timing for me and others that have been vocal about it.
    It looks like the fun factor returned, off to more uploading and browsing.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    photo_mom wrote:
    Have had a smugmug account for over a year and lurked here once in awhile. Had to de-lurk to tell you that your uptime is very impressive, the maintenance periods are short and sweet, and everytime there's been maintenance it's been followed by a vast improvement. Every e-mail I've sent to support has been answered with speed and been very helpful. Keep up the good work and take this as a huge pat on the back for this very successful upgrade! clap.gifthumbclap.gifthumb
    wave.gif Hi photo_mom and thanks for de-lurking :D
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Performance seems to have increased - awesome job...
    Being in the computer business, yep, downtime for maintenance
    happens - not a big issue if the end results are benefitical !
    (you can even www.askdrz.com - lol - ok - that was cheap but you can win some cool stuff - even a car !)
    Good job smugmug - yea clap.gif

love the znet video - cool marketing stuff !

- jr
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Just a note -- all is working well for me too....even with firefox. Thanks SM -- sorry you folks had such a difficult move.

Lee
  • Options
    FlashFlash Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Stats still not counting up eek7.gif
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Flash wrote:
    Go sign up for Google Analytics.

Dna
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Houston... We still have problems!
    I'll log in, and when I goto another page, I'm logged out again. And to view any hidden galleries, I have to log in again. This happen no matter where I go... and it happens on all IE windows.

BTW, cleared the cache, IE6 under W2k/SP4. I also rebooted my machine this morning. So, tell me that this is not on my end...

UPDATE: just got the following: I'm sorry, but you don't appear to be logged in, or don't have access to this gallery. Please try again. Hmmmm... but I got into it!!!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    I'll log in, and when I goto another page, I'm logged out again. And to view any hidden galleries, I have to log in again. This happen no matter where I go... and it happens on all IE windows.

BTW, cleared the cache, IE6 under W2k/SP4. I also rebooted my machine this morning. So, tell me that this is not on my end...

UPDATE: just got the following: I'm sorry, but you don't appear to be logged in, or don't have access to this gallery. Please try again. Hmmmm... but I got into it!!!
    I just tested this on my site. No issues for me. Your password is maintained in a cookie. Are you SURE that you are allowing cookies?

Question to self: Would SmugMug alert if cookie settings are not correct?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Flash wrote:
    Hi Dan, I can see your stats fine. Are you still having troubles? I have a screen grab if you'd like me to show it.
  • Options
    joffunjoffun Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    My site seems a lot quicker now - so the upgrade has definitely been a success. :):

That said, I would also be in favour of an 'opt-in' email before known downtime starts, plus I think that the suggestion of a countdown timer showing when the anticipated work will finish (which can be adjusted by SM as need dictates) would be really useful - especially for overseas users. PST doesn't mean a lot to many people in the UK - so it would be good to just have an indication of how long the site will be down for - thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Seymore wrote:

Hi Sid, you're using moorephoto.smugmug.com ? I cannot replicate this behavior.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    I just tested this on my site. No issues for me. Your password is maintained in a cookie. Are you SURE that you are allowing cookies?

Question to self: Would SmugMug alert if cookie settings are not correct?
    Yep... This I know Scott. But, I didn't have any issues till the move. Anyone know which COOKIE need to be re-written? (I'm not deleting all of them)

Andy wrote:
    Hi Sid, you're using moorephoto.smugmug.com ? I cannot replicate this behavior.
    It's www.mooreFoto.smugmug.com Andy...
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Yep... This I know Scott. But, I didn't have any issues till the move. Anyone know which COOKIE need to be re-written? (I'm not deleting all of them)

It's www.mooreFoto.smugmug.com Andy...
    Gaa! And I called you "Sid" not Seymore :)bowdown.gif sorry about that....
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gaa! And I called you "Sid" not Seymore :)bowdown.gif sorry about that....
    It's alright Greg. eek7.gif No worries! thumb.gif

So, Any ideas on which cookies I need to deal with? I did find, and DEL, the following: seymore@smugmug[1].txt & seymore@moorefoto.smugmug[2].txt. However the moorefoto.smugmug has not reappeared. :cry Any thoughts for me Andy.

ps: I know you're a MAC guy. But let me know if you have any thoughts.
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Dna wrote:
    Go sign up for Google Analytics.

Dna

Analytics (and others like them) can't track hits directly to a photo's URL.