Options

The sickness worsens...

124»

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    But now we are down to the 70-200 IS 2.8L which comes with a case and doesn't use drop in filters.
    The 500 & 600 come with what I'd call a 'travel' case. Hard sided and lockable.
    It's too bad the case says (in bold white letters) exactly what's in it ne_nau.gif

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Lawns are overrated. You just need to keep watering and mowing them. Get some green paint and voila! thumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

great idea. you wanna come over and help me paint half an acre of dirt?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Thanks waxy. I wish it would clear up here...really dark, gray, cold and rainy. No fun shooting. Hopefully I'll turn in some better shots in the coming days and weeks.
    Im just leaving to go hiking to a waterfall that falls down through a natural arch in a nearby rainforest....just heard police are removing a body there atm.

Next option headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

great idea. you wanna come over and help me paint half an acre of dirt?
    They've got folks that will do just that for you. And the paint even has grass seed
    in it rolleyes1.gif

ian
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    It's too bad the case says (in bold white letters) exactly what's in it ne_nau.gif

ian

Sounds just like the cases Canon's 300 and 400mm lenses come in - They look like ladies cosmetic travel cases and say "STEAL ME!" in nice white Canon letters on the side. That is why I was looking at the Kinesis bags - at least they are black and fairly soft.

Fish - I feel your pain about the weather - It is raining here too and 29 degrees outside! umph.gif And lots of slippery ice and snow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    These are things of which I knew not!

I do remember loving the feel of my old, but not at the time, long Nikon lens, back in the early 70s. Positively Freudian.

I wonder if it means something that I know not of lenses anymore and just want cameras. I think not, I think that once I have that 20D, the lens thing will kick back in.

But nothing will feel as good as that old Nikon 300.

ginger (A case? Never)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sounds just like the cases Canon's 300 and 400mm lenses come in - They look like ladies cosmetic travel cases and say "STEAL ME!" in nice white Canon letters on the side. That is why I was looking at the Kinesis bags - at least they are black and fairly soft.
    The other thing about soft bags is that they are easier to carry. With the hard case,
    you mount the lens and either take another body or forget changing it. Prolly the
    later. The soft case is nothing to carry(empty) and gives you something to stash
    the lens for something else.

ian
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I do remember loving the feel of my old, but not at the time, long Nikon lens, back in the early 70s. Positively Freudian.

Ginger.... I just don't know what to say............ I am sure 'gus won't be caught short for words tho...

I wonder if it means something that I know not of lenses anymore and just want cameras. I think not, I think that once I have that 20D, the lens thing will kick back in.

But nothing will feel as good as that old Nikon 300.

ginger (A case? Never)

Ginger - a lens that costs more than a good used car deserves a case at the very least. You don't want that nice lens getting all dinged up in its travels through the world. Hurts its resale value and the owner's pride of ownership!

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    get it. you will not regret it.
    OK so I am sold on the 2.8 apperture but I have the 100-400 L already so does it fit in the bag, even with the 1.4 extender which which I have does not give AF on the 100-400
    DoctorIt wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif great idea. you wanna come over and help me paint half an acre of dirt?
    That is worth $500,000 here if you can get permission, Go for the lens, as Shark says nothing eles matters,except maybe an education...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    ginger!
    ginger_55 wrote:

I do remember loving the feel of my old, but not at the time, long Nikon lens, back in the early 70s. Positively Freudian.... But nothing will feel as good as that old Nikon 300.

you go, girlie!

11416930-Ti.gif11416930-Ti.gif11416930-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you go, girlie!

11416930-Ti.gif11416930-Ti.gif11416930-Ti.gif

I look at your smilies, you play to enjoy :andy and yet how ofter do we see yours
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    I look at your smilies, you play to enjoy :andy and yet how ofter do we see yours

stan, are you propositioning me? i'm a married man lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    stan, are you propositioning me? i'm a married man lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Me? I only covert lenses, flesh is for eating and shooting rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Me? I only covet lenses, flesh is for eating and shooting rolleyes1.gif

good. i think. 13352123-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    good. i think. 13352123-Ti.gif

I like the three wise monkeys, they don't think at all

Prejudice is the root of all evil
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    ian408 wrote:

ian
    Here's my bomb-proof setup, modified today to fit the 70-200/2.8 IS. Easily strapped to the TotL racks on my RT and GS.

Pelican 1500 (quite reasonably priced at bhphoto).

13357210-L.jpg
    13357211-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's my bomb-proof setup, modified today to fit the 70-200/2.8 IS. Easily strapped to the TotL racks on my RT and GS.

Pelican 1500 (quite reasonably priced at bhphoto).

13357210-L.jpg
    13357211-L.jpg

I have an old Pelican box bolted to the top rack on my 1150GS also Fish, but a 500mm Is will not fit in that box I suspect.

And I worry a little about the constant vibration in the box attached to the frame at the back acting as a lever arm...
    ne_nau.gif

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    And I worry a little about the constant vibration in the box attached to the frame at the back acting as a lever arm...
    ne_nau.gif

I'm not all that concerned about it. Have you heard of any lenses being destroyed by motorcycle vibration? The only one I've heard about was Turkish's, but his bounced down the road after falling off the bike rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    mwahmwahmhaw... (evil laugh)
    Expensive? Pah!!! Just have a go at underwater photography!!! The housings, the strobe (just got a new one delivered, brought tears to my eyes - and my wallet - especially since mytrip to the Maldives will probably get cancelled now), not to mention all that pesky dive gear!!!

6640357-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    yvonne wrote:
    Expensive? Pah!!! Just have a go at underwater photography!!! The housings, the strobe (just got a new one delivered, brought tears to my eyes - and my wallet - especially since mytrip to the Maldives will probably get cancelled now), not to mention all that pesky dive gear!!!

6640357-M.jpg

Hey! Cool fishy, Yvonne. Lots of divers as well as riders here! Show us some more please... Maybe on the Nature thread???
    3858878-L.jpg