Options

SmugManager - A firefox Add-on

javier.rinaldijavier.rinaldi Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited October 1, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Hi everyone,

you might have seen my post on the Website Management Navbar and thought that was a cool idea, well I decided to take it one step further and create a firefox add-on that would do the same.

Enter SmugManager, during the past few weeks I have forgone all other interests (to my fiancee's dismay) to develop this baby.

basically, you enter your account(s) information and it allows access to many of the configuration, information, galleries and cutomization pages available through SmugMug.

It also has it's own bookmark list where you can place private galleries and other important websites (like Dgrin :D ).

This add-on should be most usefull to those who do a lot of customization or those who have/manage several accounts.

To access the SmugManager Homepage follow this Link, there you'll find the download link, as well as instructions.

Currently, SmugManager has been tested to be compatible with Firefox 1.5 - 2.0 on Windows XP. I would appreciate input of compatibility with other platforms.

Note: I'm still waiting for mozilla to approve the add-on so it can be hosted there, I will add a download link from there when it's available.

Last Build : Nov 8, 2006 2:34PM EST

Dec 20, 2006: SmugManager has been approved by mozilla, the official link is here .

Sept 19, 2010: I have decided to close my smugmug account, but fear not, smugmanager remains in the mozilla website. Hopefully this doesn't affect the API key assiged to smugmanager.
Jav

Creator of: SmugManager

"There's no dark side or the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark..."

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    you might have seen my post on the Website Management Navbar and thought that was a cool idea, well I decided to take it one step further and create a firefox add-on that would do the same.

Enter SmugManager, during the past few weeks I have forgone all other interests (to my fiancee's dismay) to develop this baby.
    Excellent work Javier!

I will continue to use your javascript code as it's install once, use anywhere (I do access my site from multiple locations and browsers and don't want to or can't install a Firefox add-on everywhere), however I will probably install this on my laptop.

Looking for feedback? It's just minor UI stuff and a doc typo... (this is all based on your doc pages, I haven't actually installed it yet)

1) You've made the name on the accept button "Edit" for edit account/bookmark. I think it makes more sense as "Accept".

2) Consistency: You have options to Remove Account/Bookmark, however the confirmation that pops up says Delete Account/Bookmark.

3) Maybe make the delete confirmation default to No? (note I'm just looking at your doc page where Yes is selected, perhaps it does default to no already).

4) On Step 6, you call it the "Boomarks Dialog". Did you write this on Halloween? rolleyes1.gif

Like I said, minor stuff...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Excellent work Javier!

I will continue to use your javascript code as it's install once, use anywhere (I do access my site from multiple locations and browsers and don't want to or can't install a Firefox add-on everywhere), however I will probably install this on my laptop.

Looking for feedback? It's just minor UI stuff and a doc typo... (this is all based on your doc pages, I haven't actually installed it yet)

1) You've made the name on the accept button "Edit" for edit account/bookmark. I think it makes more sense as "Accept".

2) Consistency: You have options to Remove Account/Bookmark, however the confirmation that pops up says Delete Account/Bookmark.

3) Maybe make the delete confirmation default to No? (note I'm just looking at your doc page where Yes is selected, perhaps it does default to no already).

4) On Step 6, you call it the "Boomarks Dialog". Did you write this on Halloween? rolleyes1.gif

Like I said, minor stuff...

Thank Bill,

appreciate the feedback, I built this with my mind more on folks who manage multiple sites.
    Jav

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    FF2, Mac, installed, get the icon, and the toolbar is blank ne_nau.gif
    The blank space below web dev and above the tabs, is your toolbar- if I click your gear icon, it goes away, or reappears. But nothing else.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    FF2, Mac, installed, get the icon, and the toolbar is blank ne_nau.gif
    The blank space below web dev and above the tabs, is your toolbar- if I click your gear icon, it goes away, or reappears. But nothing else.

Wish I had a Mac to test this on. I'll see what I can do.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    I've updated the code with Bill's suggestions and looked into the MAC compatibility, I re-packaged the extension using a dirrefent format, maybe that will help. I think the problem is the overlay not being found or perhaps not loaded because of file format issues
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    I've updated the code with Bill's suggestions and looked into the MAC compatibility, I re-packaged the extension using a dirrefent format, maybe that will help. I think the problem is the overlay not being found or perhaps not loaded because of file format issues
    Installed new version, no change :cry
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Jav,
    Just installed it. winXP pro, Firefox 1.5
    Still trying it out, so far no problems.
    Great tool....Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Installed new version, no change :cry

Hmm, I'll keep digging. There's no reason for it not to work, since it's all written on xul and javascript. I'll post a new build tomorrow after I do some research, it's probably some as simple as the carriage return format.
    Jav

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 7, 2006
    Hmm, I'll keep digging. There's no reason for it not to work, since it's all written on xul and javascript. I'll post a new build tomorrow after I do some research, it's probably some as simple as the carriage return format.

Javier,

I have had a quick look at your code, my guess it that one of the functions is failing. Try adding try {} catch(e) {alert(e)} error handling inside all of your functions and see if that produces any new information.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Javier,

I have had a quick look at your code, my guess it that one of the functions is failing. Try adding try {} catch(e) {alert(e)} error handling inside all of your functions and see if that produces any new information.

Cheers,

David

I think it might have been my toggle toolbar function, I had a mismatch on the ID for the toolbar. In any case there's a new build there now
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    A few other tips...

document.persist("SmugManager-Toolbar", "collapsed");

can be handled in the xul file by setting...

persist="hidden collapsed"

account_title_list = new Array();

arrays can use a shorthand notation...

account_title_list = [];
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    A few other tips...

document.persist("SmugManager-Toolbar", "collapsed");

can be handled in the xul file by setting...

persist="hidden collapsed"

account_title_list = new Array();

arrays can use a shorthand notation...

account_title_list = [];

Thanks Devbobo,

I am using the persistence properties to keep the toolbar hidden/shown between sessions, this function is used by the toolbar button to toggle the persistence state without having to right-click and change the state manually.

thanks for the array shorthand, should come it handy.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Javier,

Andy just IM'd and no dice with that new install. I highly recommend that you add try-catch handling, as I know with my extension that I had issues with mac that weren't appearing on pc.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Thanks Devbobo,

I am using the persistence properties to keep the toolbar hidden/shown between sessions, this function is used by the toolbar button to toggle the persistence state without having to right-click and change the state manually.

thanks for the array shorthand, should come it handy.
    Tried again, no worky... Holler when ready!
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Javier,

Andy just IM'd and no dice with that new install. I highly recommend that you add try-catch handling, as I know with my extension that I had issues with mac that weren't appearing on pc.

Cheers,

David
    I'll try the catching and see what happens

here is a debug build with the try/catch method applied to all javascript functions Debug Build Updated 11-8-2006 1434
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    There's a new build ready, hopefully it'll be mac ready now
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Mac ready? You bet. Nice job, Javier!

53333632-L.gif

clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    There's a new build ready, hopefully it'll be mac ready now
    w00t clap.gif :ivar
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 8, 2006
    Whoa, now THIS is awesome! Nice job clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Barb wrote:
    Whoa, now THIS is awesome! Nice job clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sweet! I hope you guys get good use out of it :D
    Jav

• Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Looks very cool... going to try it now...

Did you say it was up on one of the regular firefox/mozilla extension & addon sites now? I thought you said somewhere it was on https://addons.mozilla.org/.

nothing comes up when I search...
    I'll use your site's copy, so no sweat, just wondering if it *was* up there and got hidden or yanked with all the FFv2 updates or something.

thanks!
    jeff
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    jwilkinson wrote:
    Looks very cool... going to try it now...

Did you say it was up on one of the regular firefox/mozilla extension & addon sites now? I thought you said somewhere it was on https://addons.mozilla.org/.

nothing comes up when I search...
    I'll use your site's copy, so no sweat, just wondering if it *was* up there and got hidden or yanked with all the FFv2 updates or something.

thanks!
    jeff

It's still in review process, which can take long time, but the best way to test it was to have the users here try it out.
    Jav

• Options
    chrispf007chrispf007 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    This is very slick!
    Thanks for the effort, it is making my life easier!
    One question, I am a newbie at SM, can we bookmark private pages for editing using this? Ok, 2 questions, are the bookmarks universal or are they tied to each account?
    It's still in review process, which can take long time, but the best way to test it was to have the users here try it out.
    Chris Pal-Freeman
    Freelance Web Designer
    Current project:http://www.rachaelkubik.com
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    chrispf007 wrote:
    Thanks for the effort, it is making my life easier!
    One question, I am a newbie at SM, can we bookmark private pages for editing using this? Ok, 2 questions, are the bookmarks universal or are they tied to each account?

The bookmarks are universal, kinda like the bookmarks in FF, so if you want to bookmark a private gallery you have to put it's full path.
    Jav

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 9, 2006
    Wow, this is great! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Javier,

there is a small problem when using multiple accounts...but you wouldn't have experienced it unless you have more than one.

smugmug only allows you to have one logged in site at time.

eg, I have introversion.smugmug.com and hacking.smugmug.com

say I am logged into introversion.smugmug.com, but using your FF ext have hacking.smugmug.com selected.

if i then choose, Customization, despite the fact that it would load the url...
    http://hacking.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg.

the customisation that is actually displayed is for introversion.smugmug.com.

Does that make sense ?

One possible solution might be to use the API to actually handle the logins yourself. If you need some help with this, I am happy to do it.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    javier, if you need a 2nd account for develpment/testing just holler.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Javier,

there is a small problem when using multiple accounts...but you wouldn't have experienced it unless you have more than one.

smugmug only allows you to have one logged in site at time.

eg, I have introversion.smugmug.com and hacking.smugmug.com

say I am logged into introversion.smugmug.com, but using your FF ext have hacking.smugmug.com selected.

if i then choose, Customization, despite the fact that it would load the url...
    http://hacking.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg.

the customisation that is actually displayed is for introversion.smugmug.com.

Does that make sense ?

One possible solution might be to use the API to actually handle the logins yourself. If you need some help with this, I am happy to do it.

Cheers,

David

David,

it makes sense,
    I've noticed a lot of the management pages start with www.smugmug.com instead of the account address, making access to them dependent on cookies, of which you can have only one.
    I could put fields in the account info for login information and use API to log-in to the account selected (and log-out of whatever account was selected before).
    I would just need to know how to implement API into my extension. I figure I would need an API key or such.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    API key apply here

and API Documentation here

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    API key apply here

and API Documentation here

Cheers,

David

Thanks David,

got my API key earlier today, lot easier than I though it would be.
    At the moment I'm re-structuring my javascript to accomodate the additional account data , then I'll start to implement API.

I know which methods I'm going to need to call, what I'll need to learn is how to read the return struct and use it's contents
    Jav