Options

SmugManager - A firefox Add-on

Comments

• Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Incredibly usefull tool to say the very least. This is definately an add-on that I would have paid to have! (not to give you any ideas of course).

I have one small minor infitismal irk about it tho - and this might just be ME, so here goes...

When I put my pointer over a menu choice, it brings up a alternate text, sometimes it gets in the way...is there a way for me turn that feature off? Or just have the alternate text for the main menu choice and not the sub menus choices? (eg, "customization" yes to alt text, but for the choices in that sub menu NOT to have the alt text? Seems like duplicates - but just a minor change to give a smidgen more of an idea what that choice is for but for the most part, the choices are fairly self evident.

Other than that - I love it. But I just loaded it and haven't had a chance to really mess around with it.

Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    javier.rinaldijavier.rinaldi Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Incredibly usefull tool to say the very least. This is definately an add-on that I would have paid to have! (not to give you any ideas of course).

I have one small minor infitismal irk about it tho - and this might just be ME, so here goes...

When I put my pointer over a menu choice, it brings up a alternate text, sometimes it gets in the way...is there a way for me turn that feature off? Or just have the alternate text for the main menu choice and not the sub menus choices? (eg, "customization" yes to alt text, but for the choices in that sub menu NOT to have the alt text? Seems like duplicates - but just a minor change to give a smidgen more of an idea what that choice is for but for the most part, the choices are fairly self evident.

Other than that - I love it. But I just loaded it and haven't had a chance to really mess around with it.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the input, you are refering to the tooltip, which appears as a yellow textbox under your mouse when you hover over a menu item for a short time.
    Firefox, through v2.0, has a bug that it will always display this box, not matter what the content. So if I where to have no text for this tooltip, it would display a blank textbox, which would confuse the user.
    So that reason all the menu choices have a meaningful, albeit short, tooltip.
    If mozilla ever fixes this bug I'll consider putting some code in to have this feature user selectable.

regards,
    Jav

Creator of: SmugManager

"There's no dark side or the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark..."
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2006
    Hi Derek,

Thanks for the input, you are refering to the tooltip, which appears as a yellow textbox under your mouse when you hover over a menu item for a short time.
    Firefox, through v2.0, has a bug that it will always display this box, not matter what the content. So if I where to have no text for this tooltip, it would display a blank textbox, which would confuse the user.
    So that reason all the menu choices have a meaningful, albeit short, tooltip.
    If mozilla ever fixes this bug I'll consider putting some code in to have this feature user selectable.

regards,

Yeah, after I posted this, for some reason I started getting a empty small textbox, which was kinda annoying :P

The tooltip I can live with, but I will be sure to upgrade if you ever do add the selectability for that.

You put in a LOT of work on this - I'm sure we will agree: your hard work and thought is muchly appreciated.

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited November 11, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Yeah, after I posted this, for some reason I started getting a empty small textbox, which was kinda annoying :P

The tooltip I can live with, but I will be sure to upgrade if you ever do add the selectability for that.

You put in a LOT of work on this - I'm sure we will agree: your hard work and thought is muchly appreciated.

I'll keep and eye on this bug, if you've ever used webdeveloper you'll notice the tooltips are all over the place, some there others just blanks. We'll see what happens.

I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and for most users (those with a single account, like myself) it is just the way I wanted it to turn out. However for those with multiple accounts I'm wrapping my brain around API to provide the easy user switching I wanted to implement since the beginning.
    Once I have that implemented I might think about some other neat features I've been thinking about lately mwink.gif (but I'll keep those to mylself for now)
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 11, 2006
    I might think about some other neat features I've been thinking about lately mwink.gif (but I'll keep those to mylself for now)
    Suuuuure, keep us wanting more and more!

I'm not sure why I started getting the empty boxes, I'm sure it was something that I caused messing around with adding smugmanager/web dev toolbars and possibly when I was starting to mess with the toolbars options (no text, yes text with icon, small icon...). But I was ableto get it back to the way it was before so no real issue.

I for one only have the one account - so for me - it's perfect. And I for one, thank you for your hard work that will make things easier for me.

• Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Thanks. This looks like it will be useful. I haven't used it enough to provide any constructive criticism, but I do agree that it would be nice if it automatically completed the log in. I am currently using three pro accounts, so I really like that you keyed in on this feature. THANKS again.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    but I do agree that it would be nice if it automatically completed the log in

Since I'm using Firefox (2.0 at the moment), the log in screen is already populated for me. When ever I am at a site that requires a log in, I'm given the option to save the user name/password or not.

Not sure if that helps you or not....ne_nau.gif

• Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    The issue is that when you have multiple e-mail addresses (one for each smugmug account), FF can't prefill the login name for you as it doesn't know which one of the accounts you're going to log in to. It's not much of an incovenience at all as it currently exists; however, since the toolbar already knows which account you want, it seems like there should be a way to complete the deal.

I'm definitely not complaining and I'll take what I can get as this is an improvement over what I previously had... and that was nothing :D
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    The issue is that when you have multiple e-mail addresses (one for each smugmug account), FF can't prefill the login name for you as it doesn't know which one of the accounts you're going to log in to. It's not much of an incovenience at all as it currently exists; however, since the toolbar already knows which account you want, it seems like there should be a way to complete the deal.

I'm definitely not complaining and I'll take what I can get as this is an improvement over what I previously had... and that was nothing :D

Pat's right. And to that end I'm working on API implementation on my toolbar to handle the login/logout aspects. There are some bugs in the API code however, when it comes to logging out.

I have already modified the code to handle the extra fields (email, password, session, etc) and have created the code for the login/logout through, right now I testing and streamlining the code as well as thinking up some features.

stay tuned,
    Jav

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 13, 2006
    It's working perfectly on my mac, I just have no idea what I'll use it for. With FF I load my smugmug page logged in in a tab everytime I open the browser so I'm not really understanding the benefits of this tool bar.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    truth wrote:
    It's working perfectly on my mac, I just have no idea what I'll use it for. With FF I load my smugmug page logged in in a tab everytime I open the browser so I'm not really understanding the benefits of this tool bar.

well, for example,
    if your doing customization and want to quickly go there without opening the control panel, which is accessible through your front page only. simply use the toolbar instead of three navigational steps.

in that manner, if you want to view: stats, sales, referrals, account info, keywords, date page, popular photos etc..

I'm just saving you the trouble of making bookmarks to all these pages, I handle the login and logout.

and if you have more than one account, or you manage more than one account, it saves you all the logout login and additional bookmarks,

plus more to come,

so in summary, if you do lots of customization, use smugmug for business, have many accounts or don't like having tons of bookmarks, it should be helpfull to you
    Jav

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 13, 2006
    That makes sense. It's very nicely executed. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    SmugManager Toolbar - New Version v1.1.1
    Hi everyone,

been working for the past week on multiple account support as well as optimization. Hopefully this version will address the account switching issue.

also in this version I decided to start encrypting the user information so the account info has to be re-entered if you were using the old version.
    and you can set the toolbar to use your default account address as the startup page.

simply delete all your accounts prior to uninstalling the old version.

let me know of any issues.

SmugManager
    Jav

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    You can even hack it up to the webdev toolbar line so you don't use any extra space thumb.gif It's on the line above the google toolbar on the right side of the page.

111136256-L.jpg
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Just an FYI. I saw a mention of another firefox extension for photo uploading that says it supports smugmug.

FotoFox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3945/

I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look nearly as useful as SmugManager.
    jw
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You can even hack it up to the webdev toolbar line so you don't use any extra space thumb.gif It's on the line above the google toolbar on the right side of the page.

111136256-L.jpg

Off topic, but is there a generalized hackish way to combine FF toolbars? I've been wanting to combine my menu bar and address bar since day one.
    -Greg
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 29, 2006
    wellman wrote:
    Off topic, but is there a generalized hackish way to combine FF toolbars? I've been wanting to combine my menu bar and address bar since day one.
    -Greg

If you right-click up near the FF menus and select Customize...

You should be able to move stuff around, and add/remove stuff by dragging to and from the Customize Toolbar window.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2006
    jwilkinson wrote:
    Just an FYI. I saw a mention of another firefox extension for photo uploading that says it supports smugmug.

FotoFox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3945/

I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look nearly as useful as SmugManager.
    jw

looks nice, I think there's another extension there that supports uploading to various services.
    Jav

• Options
    edited December 17, 2006
    Javier,

I have been having a bit of a play with your latest version...and here's a bit of feedback :D

1. With multiple accounts, I can't seem to switch accounts from the 'Select Account' dropdown list. Nothing happens when I do that. It seems that I have to select 'Add/Edit Accounts' and set the other account as default.

2. When operating with multiple accounts, I would like to see which account is currently logged in, without having to click a dropdown or hover over an icon. Personally, I would like to see it displayed next to the house icon at the bottom of the screen, perhaps you could make it an option that users can enabled or disable.

3. If i have two accounts configured, then i go back and modify the account settings for the first account, it seems the account settings for the second account all become 'undefined'.

Also, you might want to try out the Extension Developer extension, so that you can easily make it into a jar file.

Apart from those issues, it is looking really nice...keep up the good work thumb.gif

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    SameritechSameritech Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Login failed error #18 invaild API key
    When I try to login using this app., I get an error message of:

login failed Error #18 Invalid API key

I've tried it on two different Win XP machines with the same result. Yes, I've checked my user ID and password and they are correct.

Any idea what is causing it and how to correct? I would love to start using this app.

Thanks,
    Sameritech
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Javier,

I have been having a bit of a play with your latest version...and here's a bit of feedback :D

1. With multiple accounts, I can't seem to switch accounts from the 'Select Account' dropdown list. Nothing happens when I do that. It seems that I have to select 'Add/Edit Accounts' and set the other account as default.

2. When operating with multiple accounts, I would like to see which account is currently logged in, without having to click a dropdown or hover over an icon. Personally, I would like to see it displayed next to the house icon at the bottom of the screen, perhaps you could make it an option that users can enabled or disable.

3. If i have two accounts configured, then i go back and modify the account settings for the first account, it seems the account settings for the second account all become 'undefined'.

Also, you might want to try out the Extension Developer extension, so that you can easily make it into a jar file.

Apart from those issues, it is looking really nice...keep up the good work thumb.gif

Cheers,

David

Thank for the comments David, it should definitely be swithing account from the dropdown. I'll look into it when I get back from vacation.
    I'll look into adding the account name to the bottom bar as well.

As far as the 'undefined' issue, this might happen if you upgraded versions, from 1 to 1.1 without clearing your accounts.

I'll look into it next week and post my findings.
    Jav

• Options
    edited December 19, 2006
    Sameritech wrote:
    When I try to login using this app., I get an error message of:

login failed Error #18 Invalid API key

I've tried it on two different Win XP machines with the same result. Yes, I've checked my user ID and password and they are correct.

Any idea what is causing it and how to correct? I would love to start using this app.

Thanks,
    Sameritech

Hmm, my API key is still valid so there's no reason for that. Are you using userID or email address for login info?
    Jav

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    devbobo wrote:

I'm having the same problem. It started immediately after upgrading, so maybe I did something wrong? I only upgraded because there was a newer version, it was working perfectly with multiple accounts before, and now it doesn't. :cry
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm having the same problem. It started immediately after upgrading, so maybe I did something wrong? I only upgraded because there was a newer version, it was working perfectly with multiple accounts before, and now it doesn't. :cry

I stated in the download instructions to delete your accounts prior to upgrading. The new version has the API and encrypting of the user data, so the fields containing that information have to be reset by erasing the accounts.
    Jav

• Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    I stated in the download instructions to delete your accounts prior to upgrading. The new version has the API and encrypting of the user data, so the fields containing that information have to be reset by erasing the accounts.

Javier,

As I stated earlier in this thread, I can produce this problem, even when I am installing this version for the same time. Create the accounts, then go and edit the second account. On save, the original entry is removed, the second account becomes the default, and the second entry is replaced with 'undefined'

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    just so you don't think i am jerking your chain, here's some screenshots...

119180868-L.jpg

119180873-L.jpg

119180875-L.jpg

119180884-L.jpg

119180886-L.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Javier,

As I stated earlier in this thread, I can produce this problem, even when I am installing this version for the same time. Create the accounts, then go and edit the second account. On save, the original entry is removed, the second account becomes the default, and the second entry is replaced with 'undefined'

Cheers,

David
    That's confirmed on FF/mac as well.

It seems to work for making most changes. Create an account, create a second account (this will become default by default). Change the first account to 'default', same thing happens. That's from a clean install, no upgrading.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    just so you don't think i am jerking your chain, here's some screenshots...
    thanks all for the input,

I was able to replicate, and fix, this bug and some others.

V1.1.3 is out.

release notes:

-Fixed user info edit bug, info becoming 'undefined' on edit.
    -Fixed move accounts/bookmarks bug, top item not moving down.
    -Fixed multi-user switching bug, account not changing when selecting in toolbar.
    -Added text to statusbar panel to indicate current account.

You can grab the new version from here until mozilla approves the new version.
    Jav

• Options
    nocturne1nocturne1 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    You can grab the new version from here until mozilla approves the new version.
    FYI, it looks like the link on your site to the updated file isn't working.

Thanks for all your hard work!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    nocturne1 wrote:
    FYI, it looks like the link on your site to the updated file isn't working.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Not a valid install package.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops