Let's play a game: Dodging Cars.

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in People
Let's do the math... Alcohol + Drugs + Prostitutes + Stupid artist + lots of cars = Perverted photographer.

I went to Guatemala's downtown, and took some quick snapshots (due to violence and police), and I had the idea of taking some pictures of gay prostitutes, I found them pretty interesting. Imagine, black and white portrait with a narrow dof :clap.

To take portraits (as some of you know) you better start with a warm and friendly conversation, and as the conversation progressed I realized they were damn scared of cameras, because people take pictures of them to kill them, yeah, pretty sick, anyway, we were in the middle of our interesting conversation when this kid (18 years old) alcoholized and with the idea that he was a plastic surrealist artist came out of nowhere, I was pretty scared for my gear, but I need to take more risks to take good photos, that's a promise I did to myself a few days ago.

The thing is that I told the guy (to impress the "ladies") to do some car dodging, and to my surprise he did it... police arrived and things got kind of ugly, but we solved the thing as legal age to drink in Guatemala is 18 :D

So that was pretty much my story, I will post more pictures of that day, for now I hope you like this series I did with the guy playing with his life...
Enjoy

Let's play a game.jpg

Byron M.
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Wow. So that would have sucked if he'd been hit. But hey, anything to get the shot, right? eek7.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    JenW wrote:
    Wow. So that would have sucked if he'd been hit. But hey, anything to get the shot, right? eek7.gif

I mean, it was pretty spontaneous, and I don't have any ethics at all, soooo... thanks for getting worried, but he's going to be fine I promise.
    And the one that was stoned was him, not me :cry
    Thanks for replying :D

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Interesting shots Byron.

I've gotta give you a black mark for this though:- "The thing is that I told the guy (to impress the "ladies") to do some car dodging, and to my surprise he did it... "

Well, :soapbox as he was drunk/drugged/whatever he was easy to lead into a dangerous situation. You really shouldn't do that. If he was killed you'd be responsible. If the police don't get you maybe one of his family would. If it was my brother I'd be pissed at you...What if it was your brother?

Did you not get any shots of the gay prostitutes? Not that I'm into that sort of thing:ivar but whatever, it's better than getting a drunk killed...Yep, I'm getting old...I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hats off to you though for stepping into the dark void. Don't get killed for a picture my friend, it's just not worth it...

Bod.
    beer.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Wow that's amazing.
    edited November 8, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:

If he was killed you'd be responsible. If the police don't get you maybe one of his family would. If it was my brother I'd be pissed at you...What if it was your brother?

Did you not get any shots of the gay prostitutes?
    Actually the police arrived, but it was not going to be my fault if something happened, anyway, he probably has no family and if I could put my brother into that situation... anyway, here's a shot from a prostitute, a man with a pink umbrella waiting for a client.
    Enjoy.

Waiting for a client.jpg

Byron M.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Good series and story.

but "alcoholized"? (sic) I believe the word is drunk headscratch.gif
  • Skipper1613Skipper1613 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    B:// wrote:
    I mean, it was pretty spontaneous, and I don't have any ethics at all, soooo... thanks for getting worried, but he's going to be fine I promise.
    And the one that was stoned was him, not me :cry
    Thanks for replying :D

Byron M.

Putting aside your obvious lack of ethics or moral values, what kind of cell phone did you shoot these pictures with?
    edited November 8, 2006
    Hehehe, I guess drunk would be more easy to use, sorry I speak spanish rolleyes1.gif

And I didn't use a cell phone, it's just a 20D pushing itself up to H ISO, soooo, sorry, but there wasn't a good light at the place :D and no noise ninja for me.

Byron M.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I don't see any images or a link. Am I missing something? headscratch.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 8, 2006
    enjoy?-

don't think so-

I find it pretty disgusting-
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Simply irresponsible.

Use your talent to show the beauty of your subjects, not to risk their lives for your benefit.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Since when is it our (your, my) responsability to comment on the morals of a photographer?

While it may be irresponsible, the camera is a tool used to show "truth" and document life.

I see truth in these photographs.

Is it irresponsible to take photographs of drug users and prostitutes? Brothels and gigalos? Needles and drug dealers?

I'm afraid you've lost that battle before you've begun, folks.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    hmm... had to re-edit this message: Irresponsible is a right term for what you've asked this person to do.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Since when is it our (your, my) responsability to comment on the morals of a photographer?

Agreed.

But the more I read thhis the more I highly doubt the narrative is 100% true.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 8, 2006
    Owen wrote:

While it may be irresponsible, the camera is a tool used to show "truth" and document life.

Is it irresponsible to take photographs of drug users and prostitutes? Brothels and gigalos? Needles and drug dealers?

Taking pictures of drug addicts or hookers? I don't have a problem with
    that. But telling a person who is already under the influence to do something
    he might not otherwise do, especially when it could get him killed, is more
    than a bit over the line.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 8, 2006
    B://... were you a bit drunk yourself?

Surely you can see where some folks are coming from: Your retrospective intents may have been "artistic" but your story sounds like you were one drunk kid daring another to do something stupid.

shuffle, shuffle... moving along
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Let's do the math... Alcohol + Drugs + Prostitutes + Stupid artist + lots of cars = Perverted photographer.
    Peoples lives are worth more than that man. You really need to rethink your direction here. And legally, what if that person had been hit and died? Is the death of someone and your future freedom worth a few shots like that? Since you claim to be stupid, let me spell it out for you. The answer is no. Not cool. I personally don't want to see anything more like this posted from you again. It is grossly irresponsible and shows total disregard for human life. If you want to capture life on the edge, find it, don't stage it. It just comes across like a poser, just like K-Fed.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 8, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Ever been to a party? :P

More than a few. What does that have to do with stupidity?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:

What a load of horsefeathers. If we can't stand up for what's good and right in this world, well, then, we've lost already.

B:// I find your apparent glee at having no ethics deeply disturbing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited November 9, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    More than a few. What does that have to do with stupidity?

They go hand in hand.

But that arguement is moot, anyways.

I agree these photographs are irresponsible, but a lot of things are.

Atleast they're interesting...
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    They go hand in hand.

rolleyes1.gif Give me a break, what a cop out. What intellectual bankruptcy.

Same to B://'s no ethics stance.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    enjoy?-

don't think so-

I find it pretty disgusting-
    My words also. Too much to explain why as those i would need to explain too see a different view & i choose not to waste my time.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    They go hand in hand.

Owen, how "interesting" is it to see a man hit by a car and perhaps killed?

I'd ask you to reconsider the basic morality of encouraging someone who's under the influence, to go stand in traffic so you could get some shots.

It's immoral, it's unethical... and in this country, it's quite possibly illegal.

That it is idiotic should go without saying.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited November 9, 2006
    Alright.. so if this thread is so offensive, why hasn't it been removed?

Lesser threads get removed a lot easier than this..

My thoughts are.. did he die? No. Could he have died? Yes, but if he had, I highly doubt there would be pictures posted here.

One of my models could die if a lightstand hit them on the head, too. Or if Harry fell off the platform at Vierra Wetlands. Or if Andy fell off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Sure the narrative was sick and twisted, I'll give you that, but all of this moral bull@#$^ can go... aiee.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Alright.. so if this thread is so offensive, why hasn't it been removed?
    It shouldn't be removed, and won't.
    Lesser threads get removed a lot easier than this..
    Really? I can only think of a very small # of threads that have been removed, and they have been due to obscenity, attacks, or similar.

We do not, as a rule, delete threads here on Dgrin. And in fact, as boards go, we're very fortunate in the (little) amount of moderating we have to do.

Thanks for posting!
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:

My thoughts are.. did he die? No. Could he have died? Yes, but if he had, I highly doubt there would be pictures posted here.

One of my models could die if a lightstand hit them on the head, too. Or if Harry fell off the platform at Vierra Wetlands. Or if Andy fell off the Brooklyn Bridge.

I assume you can differentiate between an unforeseen accident when all sensible precautions have been taken... and encouraging potential bloodshed by talking someone into putting themselves in harm's way?

The first is an accident.

The second is an accident by design. Legally known as manslaughter.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited November 9, 2006
    Of course I can. Thanks for laying it all out though.

I can't agree with everyone's high horse moral stance, but I'm done commenting for now.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    That's true, actually. I don't know why I said threads get deleted.

I know posts do... ;)
    Again, VERY few. And only if there is a personal attack, or obscenity, or spam. We just don't do it willy-nilly, Owen, we don't. Prove it otherwise, or move along.

Thanks.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 9, 2006
    The tone of the objectionable material originally posted seems to be more of an attention grabber than anything else. The author likes to try to be weird for the sake of being weird. No big deal. I highly doubt the situation was as dangerous as he wants you to think it was. I mean does the country of Guatemala really have a downtown? :D

That said, I do like the images.
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:

I can't agree with everyone's high horse moral stance, but I'm done commenting for now.

Maybe you can think of it like this...

Growing up, you and I both learned a lot of stuff through peer pressure. We learned what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Maybe through the pressure of his peers, his fellow photographers, B:// will learn that it's not acceptable to ask people to stand in traffic so he can get a shot.
    Sid.