Let's play a game: Dodging Cars.

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Maybe you can think of it like this...

Growing up, you and I both learned a lot of stuff through peer pressure. We learned what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Maybe through the pressure of his peers, his fellow photographers, B:// will learn that it's not acceptable to ask people to stand in traffic so he can get a shot.

Especially impaired people.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    truth wrote:
    I mean does the country of Guatemala really have a downtown?

Population estimates for Guatemala City is 2,541,581.

Yes, I think so. deal.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Laughing.gif...ok smart guy.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    I see truth in these photographs.

Is it irresponsible to take photographs of drug users and prostitutes? Brothels and gigalos? Needles and drug dealers?

There's no truth since he staged it.

But your second sentence is quite right: it's not irresponsible. In fact, we have to do so. thumb.gif
    If you want to capture life on the edge, find it, don't stage it. It just comes across like a poser, just like K-Fed.

I was looking forward to say a few words, but you did better than me, Shay thumb.gif

In fact, as Owen says, for instance, B://'s picture are quite "good-looking": those are interesting pictures.

But having a drunk guy (or anything like that) do those sort of things… wow. B:// : you are sick on this thing.

You're right about that gear thing: don't worry, get closer to your subject, get good picture… but don't ever STAGE this kind of "reality".

This was a silly game and, as a result, your picture don't say much. They are nothing more than nice.

Why I say that is you told me on MSN you'd like to be professionnal. Well, a true professionnal (I mean: a reporter) never try to arrange reality. He approaches it the best he can, but never changes it.

Try to see "war photographer", the documentary about James Nachtwey. A great piece of info…

Anyway, keep being sick, but do it for some reason… and, at least, get some good pictures back if you ever get that edgy again rolleyes1.gif
    Owen wrote:
    One of my models could die if a lightstand hit them on the head, too.

Wow, that's the funniest I ever heard… :D

Did you ever drive toward a drunk guy? I did ! And I had to do much to avoid him ; fortunately, I was in good shape in my car.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    trans.gif
    Owen wrote:
    I can't agree with everyone's high horse moral stance, but I'm done commenting for now.

Your an 18 year old kid so I don't give a **** what you think. As you get older you will realize that life is cheap. The difference between life and death is so cheap that in many countries it does not warrant more than a passing comment or glance.
    If it's a drunk or druggie it's cheaper still. I've seen people shot, run over and living in conditions that will bring on death too soon due to disease or starvation. I don't need you telling me to get off my moral high horse. Give me a shout in a few years when your old enough to get on a horse travel a bit and explain yourself properly. (But watch out as you travel you never know who might drop some acid in your water just for a laugh. I mean it's only a joke who'd have thought you'd have had such a wierd reaction)

There are people around that will kill you for a few $'s and there are people that will get you killed for a photo. If B chooses the latter then he is a person to avoid.
    Go to Mexico city or Guatemala late at night and look for the results of crime. Photograph away and it is news.
    Buy a maniac a few drinks and talk him into attacking an innocent passer by for a 'laugh' you'll get you pic's of news and crime but you will be manipulative scum. It's not difficult to buy, bribe or talk people into doing stupid things.
    Take your choices in life but f*** with other people and prepare to one day pay the price.

Have a nice life Owen, and B make your choices but if I or many others that walk the World's darker bar's and streets see you up to no good in say, Joburg or Dakar, don't be surprised to end up in hospital wondering what the hell happened.

There are some strange people in the World, go out and meet them sensibly. Sit in a bar with a transvestite and you may find they are just people trying to get by in life. Just like you and me. Mess with the wrong person and you may get glassed in the face. Not a pretty sight and one you won't forget. And this is not some strange internet threat, it's something I've seen happen and like most posters here i'm just trying to warn you that actions have consequence's.

Life a bitch but that doesn’t mean you have any right to make it worse for anyone.

B's first foray into the darker side of life did not show him in a good light. I hope he learns from it.

Man killed playing 'chicken' with cars
    TIMES November 09, 2006

A teenager who was run over and killed by two cars as he lay in the middle of a road was playing a game of “chicken”, police said yesterday.
    Kyle Day, 18, was clipped by one vehicle, then run over by another when he stretched out in the path of oncoming traffic as friends begged him to stop.

Police in Lincoln were last night studying CCTV footage of the accident, which happened in the near-deserted High Street at about 1.30am.
    Officers said that the dead man, who had been drinking, had played the same game a few hours earlier but a taxi driver had persuaded him to stop. On the second occasion he was hit by a Vauxhall Corsa driven by an 18-year-old man and a Renault Clio driven by a 17-year-old girl who had passed her test only recently.

Sgt Dave Kay said: “Some traffic accidents are preventable, but you simply cannot legislate for someone who is lying down in the middle of the road.
    “We know from the people he was with that he had been drinking during the evening . . . we are waiting for a toxicology report, which will show us how much he had had to drink and also whether he had taken any drugs.” Police closed the road for several hours. Sgt Kay said: “The first vehicle to approach him was the Corsa. The driver saw him and swerved to avoid him, clipping the kerb and then clipping him. The Clio was directly behind. Its driver had no chance to avoid him.”

This post has been at the front of my mind for a couple of days now. Amongst many excellent pic's on site such as Awais's 'Culture of Pakistan' posts first image, which is great. I'm wasting my time on this ne_nau.gif .

Grow up and get your photography skills together with your life skills in order!

'Talking Heads'
    'Once in a Lifetime'
    And you may ask yourself
    Am I right?...Am I wrong?
    And you may tell yourself
    MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    And now it's time for the cute puppy break!

jan97pup.gif
    What's all the hubbub bub?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited November 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

jan97pup.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I didn't say I agreed with what he was doing, Bodwick. I don't agree with it.

I sent you a PM where I hope we can continue this conversation. Thanks.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif

crap ..it was suppose to be a bunny with various household items balanced on it's head. doh!wings.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    crap ..it was suppose to be a bunny with various household items balanced on it's head. doh!wings.gif
    I have removed those images. Dont do it again please.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

jan97pup.gif
    One's not enough for this thread

109268767-L.jpg
    (photo not mine)
    edited November 10, 2006
    Hang on andy...im on the blower for some air support.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 10, 2006
    This thread is only now getting interesting. Pull up a comfy chair.
    :lurk
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    This thread is only now getting interesting. Pull up a comfy chair.
    :lurk
    Also not my pic.
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    I didn't say I agreed with what he was doing, Bodwick. I don't agree with it.

I sent you a PM where I hope we can continue this conversation. Thanks.

I'll have a look and reply later Owen.

Not mine.
    NeMastiff.jpg
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    OMG, PUPPIES!!! iloveyou.gif
    Chris
    edited November 10, 2006
    robot.jpg&

I think this might be more in tune with the spirit of this thread.
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Thank you very much for reading and watching.

Let’s be methodical.
    Ethics: Branch of philosophy concerned with the nature of ultimate value and the standards by which human actions can be judged right or wrong.

Irresponsible: adj
    Definition: careless, reckless.

Spontaneous: adj
    Happening or arising without apparent external cause; self-generated.

As I’m (for everyone here) an irresponsible kid, therefore I’m careless, and that at the same time denotes my immaturity as a person. As maturity is in function of experience (age), then I should say I’m immature as I’m just a stupid kid.

The difference between the way you discern from mine is the multiparametric function that defines it. We live different lifestyles, and we assume pressure and violence in a very different way. Is that cultural predisposition what makes me an ignorant.
    I’m not justifying myself, and I’m not finding myself guilty of anything.
    What I feel guilty about is that I implicitly managed to stage the photograph, as I obviously did for photographical “benefits”.
    As spontaneous defines: self-generated. He was aware of the danger. When you're drunk/drugged or similars, you have that level of consciousness in which you know what danger implies to your life.

Disturbing? I imagine this is the part where I recriminate to different cultural moral states with pointless allegations, but I should not waste my time on this.
    Now, if you know what it is to live here, then you know what disturbing really means. I’m not playing to be the rough guy, I’m just calling this our reality, the reality that has been killing more females in this year than Mexico in Ciudad de Juarez in 10 years.
    We live in a place where your social economical level doesn’t protect you against a very probable death every day.
    I should say all this to illuminate my social/emotional background, as I’m the one capturing the moment.
    It’s hate, resentment and a very black humor against human life.
    But yes, I was being completely stupid and irresponsible.

I’m just taking my time to balance the equation.
    I spit to the sky, and I’m still waiting for the spit to come back.

I should take myself some time to grow up as a person, I need to ripe…

Where_a_secret_lies_by_Zeoneth.jpg

Suggested Music:
    Autechre
    Squarepusher
    !!!
    Looke
    Agoraphobic Nosebleed
    Cephalic Carnage

P.S. If you want me to leave the forum let me know it here.

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    B:// wrote:
    As spontaneous defines: self-generated. He was aware of the danger. When you're drunk/drugged or similars, you have that level of consciousness in which you know what danger implies to your life.

This is the most stupidest thing I've ever read.
    Do I really need to develop? Ask a doctor sometimes…of course, you're aware of some danger… but you mak'em small.
    Suggested Music:
    Autechre
    Squarepusher
    !!!
    Looke
    Agoraphobic Nosebleed
    Cephalic Carnage

P.S. If you want me to leave the forum let me know it here.

Byron M.

I know & listen to this music.
    And I don't see the point, here.

I don't think this is matter of leaving this forum or not. In fact, you think differently, why not! There's at least something to share. In USA, in Europe, too, we're over-protected. But, hey! c'mon, immatury is no excuses…

I'been through some places in Africa, I've seen how people drive there (as in Cambodia, omg :D ) and, well, I did travel some dangerous ways, but which are common ways downthere. But I haven't see anyone putting someone he doesn't know in danger rolleyes1.gif at least for entertainment :D

I totally understand Guatemala is a crazy country in some aspects, but I do not think you're born from the streets…*You've got quite an photographic equipment, which make me think you're not totally unaware of a certain comfort.

Anyway, keep being sick doing art or anything, but don't ask anybody to put his life in danger for your amusement. We's no longer in Cesar's Rome, for Christ sake (I always wanted to write this :D) !

As to be clear: be aware I judge your act, but I don't judge you.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Hey Bryan,

I agree with you that your actions here were immature, irresponsible and careless. Since we are in agreement I can assume that you have learned from this and won't repeat your actions. That's cool because we all have done some really stupid things in our lives. The trick is to learn from our mistakes and then avoid repeating them.

I don't buy your explanation based on cultural differences. If I made a post and said That Guatemalans did not share our respect for life and the dignity of other humans you would probably correctly get upset and justifiably call me a bigot. That being the case how does your justification about "cultural differences" fly.

I spent two years in Vietnam and then spent most of my working life in Harlem and the South Bronx. I ran counseling centers for Vietnam Veterans for five years so I have some idea of how dealing with difficult circumstances effects people. The ones that grow and get stronger are usually the ones that find that life is dear and is something to be respected, not something to be treated carelessly and irresponsibly.

Good luck.

I'm getting off my :soapbox now
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    The difference between the way you discern from mine is the multiparametric function that defines it. We live different lifestyles, and we assume pressure and violence in a very different way. Is that cultural predisposition what makes me an ignorant.

Come on now. Are you saying you don't know right from wrong? That because violence is perceived differently where you're from makes it okay to ask a guy to dodge cars?

Umm....yeah I've been drunk/drugged my fair share. Judgement is definitely impaired. And anyone who says that "Oh well it doesn't affect me that way" is just a flat-out liar. Anyone who says they drive better drunk or stoned because they're worried about getting pulled over. Well, the worried part may be true to some degree, but they don't drive better. ~shakes head~

P.S.

hippotortoise3.jpg
    Famous photo...not mine.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
    edited November 10, 2006
    I think the whole point of drinking or getting high is to impair your judgment. Otherwise, where's the fun in it?
    Sid.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 10, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I think the whole point of drinking or getting high is to impair your judgment. Otherwise, where's the fun in it?
    Drinking impairs your judgement?

Brilliant!!!

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited November 10, 2006

Byron M.
    Karma has no boundrys my friend.
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Drinking impairs your judgement?

Brilliant!!!

That reminds me, I need to drink more. thumb.gif
    edited November 10, 2006
    truth wrote:
    That reminds me, I need to drink more. thumb.gif
    No...you need to write (including screen shots) a blow by blow description of how you did that avatar shot. I attemperd to follow the one in the Dgrin page you linked to & got quite lost...you up for it ?
    edited November 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    No...you need to write (including screen shots) a blow by blow description of how you did that avatar shot. I attemperd to follow the one in the Dgrin page you linked to & got quite lost...you up for it ?
    Yeah, but it'll have to be tomorrow, my fiancee will be home from work in a about 15 minutes and she'll castrate me if spend a Friday night online
    edited November 10, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Yeah, but it'll have to be tomorrow, my fiancee will be home from work in a about 15 minutes and she'll castrate me if spend a Friday night online
    Thanks for that...please keep it strictly 'paint by numbers' for us CS2 idiots.thumb.gif