AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

2456717

Comments

  • whenders0nwhenders0n Beginner grinner Posts: 1Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2006
    use it on a mac!
    just wanted to let you all know that on an intel mac, albumfetcher works great using only codeweaver:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

    that means with a 30 second download and NO install of windows, you can run this on a mac!
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    whenders0n wrote:
    just wanted to let you all know that on an intel mac, albumfetcher works great using only codeweaver:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

    that means with a 30 second download and NO install of windows, you can run this on a mac!

    That's fantastic! I'd wondered if anyone would be able to easily make a native Mac port, but this sounds even easier. Thanks for the tip. clap.gif
  • iefarleyiefarley Big grins Posts: 11Registered Users Big grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    My brother uploaded a whole gallery for me -- photos from someone else's camera from a family outing. I'm in another country right now, so this way, I can access all the photos too (I changed the password temporarily for him -- that's how he could upload).
    Now I'm trying to bulk download it.
    I've tried the SmugDAV, and get an error with it, and I'm also getting an error with AlbumFetcher. It downloads all the metadata, and starts dowloading photos, and then gives a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error: Runtime Error! Program:....AlbumFetcher.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." with an OK button, and then Album Fetcher shuts down.
    The whole idea of this software is great!! If only I could get it to work...
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    iefarley wrote:
    My brother uploaded a whole gallery for me -- photos from someone else's camera from a family outing. I'm in another country right now, so this way, I can access all the photos too (I changed the password temporarily for him -- that's how he could upload).
    Now I'm trying to bulk download it.
    I've tried the SmugDAV, and get an error with it, and I'm also getting an error with AlbumFetcher. It downloads all the metadata, and starts dowloading photos, and then gives a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error: Runtime Error! Program:....AlbumFetcher.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." with an OK button, and then Album Fetcher shuts down.
    The whole idea of this software is great!! If only I could get it to work...

    That particular error is unfortunately not too helpful. It just means "something broke." So, diagnosing the problem is rather tough. A few questions...

    Are you still getting the problem?
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Do you have any non-ANSI text in any of your captions/keywords?

    We'll start there and see if we can figure out the issue...
  • iefarleyiefarley Big grins Posts: 11Registered Users Big grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    No error this time
    wellman wrote:
    That particular error is unfortunately not too helpful. It just means "something broke." So, diagnosing the problem is rather tough. A few questions...

    Are you still getting the problem?
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Do you have any non-ANSI text in any of your captions/keywords?

    We'll start there and see if we can figure out the issue...
    Thanks for your response.

    I've run it again today, and it downloaded all the rest of the 124. I'd only downloaded 32 and then up to 44 without the error before.

    I'm running Windows XP SP2.

    I deleted ALL keywords, but they were all just simple words and numbers (Smugmug had added them from the filenames). No captions.

    The one thing that I'm wondering about... I was running the screensaver that comes with Windows - My Pictures Screensaver, and it seemed that the error might have started when it would start up. Could there be a problem there?? I have it turned off today...

    So it worked great today... not sure what was the problem the other day...
    THANKS!!!
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    iefarley wrote:
    Thanks for your response.

    I've run it again today, and it downloaded all the rest of the 124. I'd only downloaded 32 and then up to 44 without the error before.

    I'm running Windows XP SP2.

    I deleted ALL keywords, but they were all just simple words and numbers (Smugmug had added them from the filenames). No captions.

    The one thing that I'm wondering about... I was running the screensaver that comes with Windows - My Pictures Screensaver, and it seemed that the error might have started when it would start up. Could there be a problem there?? I have it turned off today...

    So it worked great today... not sure what was the problem the other day...
    THANKS!!!

    Glad to hear that things worked properly! I'm not aware of any specific issues with the My Pictures SS, but hey, if the shoe fits... :D Let me know if the program gives you any more trouble. And Happy New Year!
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I had an email come in from an AlbumFetcher user having login problems. Just in case it isn't clear, it's your smugmug credentials you'll use to login with AlbumFetcher (not your dgrin credentials).

    Also, a perhaps-little-known fact is that you can use your smugmug name (i.e. the nickname part of nickname.smugmug.com) instead of your email address. This is true across SmugMug, not just for AlbumFetcher.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane I � Unicode Posts: 7,106Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    I too am getting this:

    Runtime Error!

    Program:....AlbumFetcher.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

    This happens when I enter my username (either the email or the username part) and password and then click the Log In button. Basically it's click, popup, okay, shutdown. This is all that is in the logfile:
    ===========================================
    1/9/2007 9:56:44 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    1/9/2007 9:56:53 AM: Login successful. Listing albums...


    ===========================================
    1/9/2007 9:57:04 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    1/9/2007 9:57:14 AM: Login successful. Listing albums...


    ===========================================
    1/9/2007 9:58:27 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    1/9/2007 9:58:37 AM: Login failed.
    1/9/2007 9:58:51 AM: Login successful. Listing albums...


    The 3rd time there I thought that maybe I was entering the wrong password so I tried a different one. The program simply said "Login Failed" but did not give me a runtime error.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

    http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I too am getting this:

    Runtime Error!

    Program:....AlbumFetcher.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

    This happens when I enter my username (either the email or the username part) and password and then click the Log In button. Basically it's click, popup, okay, shutdown.

    Still getting the same thing? When SmugMug's API server is down, this can happen. (I still need to handle it gracefully, but it's hard b/c the API server is usually up. :D)

    If you're still getting the error, let me know what OS, etc.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane I � Unicode Posts: 7,106Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Yup still getting that error. I'm using windows xp media center.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

    http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Yup still getting that error. I'm using windows xp media center.

    OK. I'm 95% sure the issue is related to AlbumFetcher receiving some sort of string from the API that it doesn't know how to handle. I've seen this from a few other folks, so it seems like someone should fix it. Oh wait, that's me.

    Let me talk to a friend of mine who is a guru of sticking debug code into release software. I'll post back with a new version that will hopefully clue me in to your problem. May be a few days, though (sorry).

    -Greg
  • Mike LaneMike Lane I � Unicode Posts: 7,106Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    OK. I'm 95% sure the issue is related to AlbumFetcher receiving some sort of string from the API that it doesn't know how to handle. I've seen this from a few other folks, so it seems like someone should fix it. Oh wait, that's me.

    Let me talk to a friend of mine who is a guru of sticking debug code into release software. I'll post back with a new version that will hopefully clue me in to your problem. May be a few days, though (sorry).

    -Greg
    I'm not in a big hurry. It's part of step one of a site re-design.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

    http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm not in a big hurry. It's part of step one of a site re-design.

    Mike,
    Do you have access to a non-MCE PC you could try this on? Given the fact that no one else is experiencing similar problems, and that you're well-versed in the art of entering your username and password, I'm wondering if the problem is WinMCE. Just a guess, but it's worth a shot.
    -Greg
  • Mike LaneMike Lane I � Unicode Posts: 7,106Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Mike,
    Do you have access to a non-MCE PC you could try this on? Given the fact that no one else is experiencing similar problems, and that you're well-versed in the art of entering your username and password, I'm wondering if the problem is WinMCE. Just a guess, but it's worth a shot.
    -Greg
    I'll give a win xp pro lappy a shot when I get a chance.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

    http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • redsvtredsvt Big grins Posts: 11Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    I to am getting the same error message. In fact I get it on every PC I have tried. Three at home and two at work. All PC's are running XP PRO SP2. I have yet to successfully select all my galleries and download them :(
  • sudermattsudermatt Big grins Posts: 38Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Yeah...seems like a great app....but I can't get it to run on any windows box I have...

    During login

    runtime error!
    abnormal program termination
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    I will get on this bug folks... May take a few days, but stay tuned.
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    OK. To those that are having problems, I have a request. I have been unable to replicate any of the behavior you're describing, so I'm left wondering if there's something in the response from SmugMug which I'm not handling properly, which only crops up for you "select few." eek7.gif

    Would any of those with AlbumFetcher problems be willing to lend me your login credentials for some testing on my end? I promise, of course, not to mess up your account. I won't even be touching your photos, as AlbumFetcher is a "read-only" tool. :D

    Sorry to have to make this type of request, but it's the only way I can think of to test what's happening to you. PM me if you'd like to proceed down this path. (One suggestion - change your password to something temporary so you can go back to your "normal" one later.)
  • devbobodevbobo LR whisperer Melbourne, AUPosts: 4,338Registered Users, Retired Mod SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2007
    You trying to build up ur portfolio Greg ?

    lol3.giflol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • devbobodevbobo LR whisperer Melbourne, AUPosts: 4,338Registered Users, Retired Mod SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Sorry to have to make this type of request, but it's the only way I can think of to test what's happening to you. PM me if you'd like to proceed down this path. (One suggestion - change your password to something temporary so you can go back to your "normal" one later.)

    btw, those with Pro accounts might be able to use the Guest account login thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    You trying to build up ur portfolio Greg ?

    lol3.giflol3.gif

    Indeed. Debugging is hard. mwink.gif
  • taylowataylowa Big grins Posts: 47Registered Users Big grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Website Down...
    I was trying to get the this nice little app, but it appears his site is down. Is there anyone who has it somewhere else I can get it from? Or, could someone send it to me?

    Thanks.
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    taylowa wrote:
    I was trying to get the this nice little app, but it appears his site is down. Is there anyone who has it somewhere else I can get it from? Or, could someone send it to me?

    Thanks.

    Thanks for the heads-up. The site is down, and I'm unable to even load my host's (IX Web Hosting) site. I know they were doing some upgrades; perhaps they did not go smoothly. Send me a PM with your email address, and I will be happy to email it to you.
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Major grins Posts: 302Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    What????????????
    richW wrote:
    Greg, I tried it on public, private, passworded galleries. Works great..
    Fast and easy.
    Thanks....thumb.gif

    Please clarify this statement.

    My protected and private galleries can be downloaded?

    Waiting for you answer.

    Thank you, Nicholas
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Please clarify this statement.

    My protected and private galleries can be downloaded?

    Waiting for you answer.

    Thank you, Nicholas

    Nicholas,

    You must login to AlbumFetcher with your SmugMug credentials, and only your galleries - protected, private, and public - may be downloaded.

    At some point I may make a "public" version which will not require a login, but in that case, only public galleries would be available for download. SmugMug's API has this security built in.

    Hope this answers your question! thumb.gif
    -Greg
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Major grins Posts: 302Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Whew!!!! Okay
    wellman wrote:
    Nicholas,

    You must login to AlbumFetcher with your SmugMug credentials, and only your galleries - protected, private, and public - may be downloaded.

    At some point I may make a "public" version which will not require a login, but in that case, only public galleries would be available for download. SmugMug's API has this security built in.

    Hope this answers your question! thumb.gif
    -Greg

    Thanks for your fast reply. I will give it a try.

    Nicholas
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Thanks for your fast reply. I will give it a try.

    Nicholas

    You're quite welcome. Hope you find it a useful tool. thumb.gif
  • mkress65mkress65 not grinning Posts: 107Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Hi Jeff -- just wanted to say thanks for the tool. It worked relatively well on my 3 1/2 GB download, but I ran into the "runtime error" problem a handful of times. Once it got down below 1 1/2 GB to download, it didn't seem to happen. But I don't know if its based on an amount being downloaded or just time -- the first 2 GB were downloading a lot slower (AF reported it between 200KB/s and 500KB/s -- I'm sure a Comcast constraint) but the last 1 1/2 was at 1012KB/s (or faster).

    In any event, I got it to work after a few restarts. Thanks again for making this! clap.gif
  • wellmanwellman Swimming for Them Posts: 961Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    Hi Jeff -- just wanted to say thanks for the tool. It worked relatively well on my 3 1/2 GB download, but I ran into the "runtime error" problem a handful of times. Once it got down below 1 1/2 GB to download, it didn't seem to happen. But I don't know if its based on an amount being downloaded or just time -- the first 2 GB were downloading a lot slower (AF reported it between 200KB/s and 500KB/s -- I'm sure a Comcast constraint) but the last 1 1/2 was at 1012KB/s (or faster).

    In any event, I got it to work after a few restarts. Thanks again for making this! clap.gif

    No problem; thanks for the kind words! Someday I'll get that runtime thing sorted out... thumb.gif
  • rorytaterorytate Nature Photographer Posts: 39Registered Users Big grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Many many thanks
    Greg,
    Your utility just saved me hours and hours of donkey work. Thank you so much.

    Rory Tate
    Canadian, OK
Sign In or Register to comment.