Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    when I arrived and the clouds had rolled in over night covering the mountain top in a veil of fog.

Ha ha! Remember as we were standing up on Figueroa, we talked about this exact phenomenon? How ironic that you should experience it days after the fact.

We get some of the similar fog rolling over the hills. On a brilliant morning, this is a spectacular site to behold.

BTW, I meant to ask you which video camera are you using?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Ha ha! Remember as we were standing up on Figueroa, we talked about this exact phenomenon? How ironic that you should experience it days after the fact.

We get some of the similar fog rolling over the hills. On a brilliant morning, this is a spectacular site to behold.

BTW, I meant to ask you which video camera are you using?

We must have special powersmwink.gif

I am using a Sony EX1
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Hi...I'm new around here. Beautiful footage.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    Hi...I'm new around here. Beautiful footage.

Kristine
    Thank you Kristine.

I did manage to get a few stills off before the video camera came outwings.gif

523625237_KsqRf-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    That shot is gorgeous, Marc. The color, the layers, the fog....clap.gif

Kristine
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    initially I thought it was time lapse photography but Im hearing it was actually at that speed??? amazing!bowdown.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Marc, that image is glorious, total jawdropper...(as Steph has already indicated...)wings.gif

whats the chances that you would walk us through your process? can we have some details? what were your in-camera decisions? did you do multi expos? used any filters? im mostly curious about the colors... how did you bring out the colors like that? sorry about the questions, im just so amazed by this photo...and would hope that i could do something like this if the opportunity ever presented itself...

im sure i would ruin a wonderful scene like this "in-camera" simply because of my lack of experience....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    can we have some details? what were your in-camera decisions? did you do multi expos? used any filters? im mostly curious about the colors... how did you bring out the colors like that? sorry about the questions, im just so amazed by this photo...and would hope that i could do something like this if the opportunity ever presented itself...
    Aaron,

What goes through my head when a situation like this arises must be a combination of life's experiences, cus I really don't have a logical explanation, so all I can offer is an attempt......

Usually when a storm clears after hours, days or weeks of gloomy light I shoot way too muchrolleyes1.gif I believe it is a personal response to the drama of the change in light, and that does not always produce great images but recordings of the light with little regard for the subject.
    However, after experiencing this phenomenon for years I like to believe I have developed a subconscious filter to hone in on the subject in the good light!

Personally, reading is only part of the equation. I understand there are many techniques to learn and apply in the field but there is no better way to develop a real world reaction to environmental conditions than just doing it! I know you understand this by the amount of images you post hereclap.gif

For the first 5 min when we pulled around the corner, the sun was just peaking from the horizon, I grabbed my still camera, most likely because I am most familiar with it and took the images with more color. Once I captured what I thought was the most drama, fog around silhouette pines, I RAN back to the car and pulled out the video camera. Setting it up in as little time as possible began a locked off shot, that you see in the video. The fog was moving so fast and creating such diff drama than could be captured in a still image. Notice the color diff. It only took 5 min for the sun to rise above the haze.
    While the video camera was rolling at 30fps I ran around taking more stills. This is when I look kinda crazed:D working between video and stills has become a obsession.
    The video footage was edited in FCP and sped up to amplify the movement of the fog. The still images were edited in Adobe Camera Raw and only minor changes were made to the dynamic range. In fact I had to lower the color balance slider a bit because the red was too intense IMO.
    The original still included the sun but I cropped it out in post. One of the problems I believe all digital cameras still have is the amount of dynamic range in the highlights. A sun shot with a wide angle is OK but with a telephoto imposes a problem around the edges. I know a few tricks to minimize the effect but the sensor is really to blame :(

Schmoo, thank you for the dropper:D
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    nod.gif ive only seen the calm eazzzy going Marc, but for some reason i can imagine that crazed look....very funny man,!
    that info was great btw, thanks for taking the time.

i was wondering about the crop but was not sure enough to say anything...
    i just got a new 300mm and i need to practice shooting into the sun....
    (feel free to give me tips...haha)(should i be working @f8 when going into the sun?)

thanks a million Marc, and again sweet image!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Stunning stuff Marc mwink.gifwink
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    (that video) :cry:cry:cry

Can't believe we just missed that.
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Marc from a witness
    nod.gif ive only seen the calm eazzzy going Marc, but for some reason i can imagine that crazed look....

So as a witness to this (now more than once). We were driving up the road to the top of figueroa (he has a great sense of direction and seems to always know west, east, north, south). He was watching the side of the road, looking out over the valley. We were slowly climbing above the fog and could see more and more of the valley. We turned a corner and just saw the barest sliver of the sun as it was starting to climb over a mountain range. Here is were his experience comes in. Marc said once 'if the light is right the subject will present it self'. The comment from Marc as he jumped from the car was something like 'look at the light'. He raced around grabbing his camera from the bag. Thinking back I don't remember him changing lenses he had a 70-210 on his 1dsIII body. As I think back to that morning he probably pre-visualized what he was going to see as he packed his bag for the morning. This is the second time recently I've been with him in the morning where we were had a high vantage point over a large landscape, and both times he had his 70-210 on the camera. I don't remember him changing lenses the whole time we were on that spot of the road. He continued to look around shooting lots of different things. The fog was changing so fast that a ridge that was clear would be covered a minute later and a minute later it would be clear again. We had two ridges that were presenting the most drama and he kept swtiching between those and other less dramatic vistas.

So what I've seen is Marc first looks for the light. He then finds the subject and picks a focal length that is appropriate. Sounds so simple :D yet is so hard.
    I know for me I'm still trying to use a wider lens than is appropriate for the setting. Seeing Marc use a 70-210 on a wide landscape helps me think differently about subject and lens choices.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    'if the light is right the subject will present it self'.

So what I've seen is Marc first looks for the light. He then finds the subject and picks a focal length that is appropriate. Sounds so simple :D yet is so hard.

I'm sure I've heard him say this too and yet somehow it completely bypassed my filters! Over time I've come to realize this but t would have been much faster had I listened.

This is really great advice, and very true. I guess the extra-difficult part is still trying to make sure that you know where you should be when that magic point arrives to maximize the experience.

Great report and thanks, Phil! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I guess the extra-difficult part is still trying to make sure that you know where you should be when that magic point arrives to maximize the experience.

More so when you are at a place for the first time.

I think filters and light are, in many ways, a product of experience too.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    I am working on a list of locations to shoot in the Western US and would like to hear from some of you about what you believe would be important to know before traveling to shoot there. Here are a few topics I believe would be helpful but feel free to add to themdeal.gif and be as specific as you want.

location -

equipment -

time of year/day -

technique to apply -

?????
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I am working on a list of locations to shoot in the Western US and would like to hear from some of you about what you believe would be important to know before traveling to shoot there. Here are a few topics I believe would be helpful but feel free to add to themdeal.gif and be as specific as you want.

location -

equipment -

time of year/day -

technique to apply -

?????
    • WEATHER! it can be snowing here but sunny in Moab. Or vice versa.
    • Elevation as well, since some folks can't handle 6000+ feet or even less than that if you are sea-level-born and raised.
    • Specialized equipment that you might not think of (ND flters for spring streams, grad NDs for sunsets, polarizers for wet forests, etc)
    • transportation -- some places are AMAZING, but you need a 4x4 to get there safetly
    • Safety -- go alone or make sure you are in a group. Some places are remote enough to get lost in. Bad. Idea.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    ?????
    Local resources. Places to stay, local eats, photography equipment. Local contacts (like the Hondoo dudes).
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    What time sunrise and sunset are and how long it might take to drive to wherever you want to shoot sunrise and sunset.

Kristine
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 5, 2009
    Suggestions for clothing. Some folks may not appreciate how cold the desert can be standing around before sunrise, or how much water might be needed by sunset. Or rain garments for your camera in certain locations.

Suggestions for difficulty of vehicle access - many sites are not accessible to normal vehicles, but need higher ground clearance, or 4WD, or horse back.

Some sites will need official "permits" for passage - such as on tribal lands or selected areas of National Parks that require a special access permit.

Where the nearest good coffee is, or if there is any cowboy coffee whatsoever to be found.

Safety of trails in the dark or in stormy weather might be discussed as well. Think about lightning while holding your conductive carbon fibre tripod.....

Loved your video - very cool indeed!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    I'll second or third the vehicle clearance/4wd requirements. So if you need to test vehicle access we can go to your locations in my corolla :D to try a normal passenger car.
    The other thing is if there are tide issues. I've been to spots where it is inexcessible during high tide or there is no picture during low tide.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    I'll second or third the vehicle clearance/4wd requirements. So if you need to test vehicle access we can go to your locations in my corolla :D to try a normal passenger car.
    The other thing is if there are tide issues. I've been to spots where it is inexcessible during high tide or there is no picture during low tide.
    -Philip

Good idea Phil, so we can take your Toyota in at low tidemwink.gif

Thank you all for your comments. Here is a list of what has been mentioned thus far:

- weather and temperature

- transportation, auto or walk - 4x4 or car

- elevation

- time of year/day, sunrise or sunset

- local services, food - gas - hotel - guides

- necessary items to carry, food water and cloths

- permits

- and of course camera equipment, including all specifics!

Thanks again to those who commented.

I hope to be adding this information to a list of specific landscape locations to go shoot, and wanted to make sure I dont leave anything important out.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    wildlife dangers, what to know that resides in the area. rattlesnake, hungry bears, spiders to not play with...etc...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    wildlife dangers, what to know that resides in the area. rattlesnake, hungry bears, spiders to not play with...etc...
    Leave that out. Makes for better stories naughty.gif
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009

Aaron, you just have to make sure that you can run faster than the slowest person in your group.:D
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Good idea Phil, so we can take your Toyota in at low tidemwink.gif
    It's a Toyota. Not a problem naughty.gif

One other thing I was thinking about. When you talk about time of day, etc. You might emphasize the need to be adaptive. In other words, if you don't get there at sunrise, work with the light you have--be creative. If you wanted broad sweeping landscape, think IR or work a 'macro' angle. If you can, wait for better light. But if you can't, work with what you have.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    It's a Toyota. Not a problem naughty.gif

I have beaten the poor thing pretty good. I haven't taken it out on the beach in Oceano, but I have driven it on the main road and some side roads in Carrizo plains. The road through Carrizo is a washboard.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    Marc, Thanks for the tips in June issue of OPthumb.gif your always awakening me.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Marc, Thanks for the tips in June issue of OPthumb.gif your always awakening me.

Aaron,

Just dont want anyone to fall asleep at the wheeldeal.gif
    Tips Tips Tips and more Tips, photography is so much more. The amount of tips flying around out in cyberspace is simply amazing. You really have to keep an eye out for space junkrolleyes1.gif if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Tips Tips Tips and more Tips, photography is so much more. The amount of tips flying around out in cyberspace is simply amazing. You really have to keep an eye out for space junkrolleyes1.gif if you know what I mean.

After learning the basics [exposure, DOF, Camera shake, etc] IMO nothing beats experiencethumb.gif

I remember reading Amateur Photographer in the 70's! (full of tips too;)) and after a while starting to feel annoyed whenever I read it. I finally realised it was because I wanted to be making pictures not be looking at tips on how to make them. I was getting frustrated at seeing other's great pics, I wanted my own.:cry

So I stopped buying AP and spent the money instead on film. Instead of using one film every couple of weeks I bought 14 films and used one a day. I learned more in those two weeks than years of AP. Now with digital cameras we are spoiled that we dont have to buy film, so shoot shoot shoot!=D

I learn more everytime I go out and get pushed to get that shot (esp. when hurried as the light comes right for a few minutes), than I do reading tips.

Don't get me wrong,Im not anti-tip, far from it, but this is just to emphasise, nothing beats getting out there and doing it:D

note to self; "get out there and do it"
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..