Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    This slide digitizer is being offered right now! I have never used it but for those with many slides it may be helpful, and $40 is a low pricewings.gif

I know I am late in reading this but your link took me to a site called www.woot.com where I could find NO sign of a slide digitizer. Can you suggest any other way to find it?

Thanks
    Jane B.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great to meet you at the Shootout in Acadia.

Thank you for the great tipthumb.gif Saving money is always good.

It was thrilling meeting you and being able to share the wee hours of the morning taking pictures.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    I Can you suggest any other way to find it?

Thanks
    Jane B.
    Woot sells one item a day, once sold out it is gone. However, I have seen the same item pop up several times on diff days.
    Similar scanners can be purchased through camera stores, just more money. Good. luck!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 14, 2009
    Hey Marc wave.gif

Happy Birthday :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Hey Marc wave.gif

Happy Birthday :D

Thanks Ian, Although I think I need some reading glasses noweek7.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Thanks Ian, Although I think I need some reading glasses noweek7.gif

Oh. Then:
    Happy Birthday!!!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited October 14, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh. Then:
    Happy Birthday!!!

+1 :bday

Still in Acadia shooting? Can't wait to see pics from you and from Dave from that area.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    :rutt
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Happy birthday Marc.

And thanks for all the advice at Acadia.
    RON
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Happy Birthday Marc! Climb on!

427092156_ZqVmp-L.jpg

427088233_sz6rr-XL.jpg

427089307_djFz9-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Thank you everyone, you all ROCKclap.gif

It is a great time seeing all the work poor in on Acadia. BTW there was a inch of frost on the windshield of our rental car, when Dave Porter and I left for the airport in Bangor yesterday. I think we all nailed our trimming in the park perfectly:D

I seam to think that was Andy's calldeal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    I Simonius wrote:
    I hope to see your results on that comparison;)
    just posted the comparison on my blog thumb.gif

I will be expanding on this with several posts, as there is just too much to cover. However, here is another look of the aspect ratio created with only two images stitched together, taken with the camera in horizontal position and the lens shifted allllll the way left and right.

694794539_7YyoC-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Can you describe what it's like to work with the 17mm with respect to it's front element? Given it sticks out so far, I'd think more care would be required using it.

thanks!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    question two:

can filters be handheld effectively?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    question two:

I doubt it but lets see what Sensei says.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    The bulb is hanging out there for suredeal.gif but with this lens being so large, compared to others I have used, I tend to take more care in handling it. The cap is somewhat well designed and sturdy, which would keep it protected even if somehow the whole enchilada took a dive into rocks.

I have hand held filters for years but dont rec it as it is a pain and many problems can occur if not done properly. However, because this bulb is so large the filter would have to be more than 8" to cover the image area at the distance one would have to hold it. Then at that distance there would be much light intrusion. I really dont plan on using filters with this lens.

Go filterlesswings.gif

The 24mm will allow a 82mm filter but may require a step up ring as well, something I plan on testing soon. I have many 85mm filters from my old Pentax 6x7 daysrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks Marc. As you know, I love the WA--embrace it.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    question two:

I presume you're talking about GND filters? I hand hold those all the time. Whether it's effective or not is a matter of opinion :D Obviously exposures longer than 30 seconds or so tend to tire your arms out eventually. Also some people hold them by pinching the lower corner with their thumb and index finger which won't work with a wide angle lens (unless you have those huge filters). I just put my middle finger on the top of the filter, the thumb on the bottom, and use my index finger as a brace on top of the lens.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I presume you're talking about GND filters? I hand hold those all the time. Whether it's effective or not is a matter of opinion :D Obviously exposures longer than 30 seconds or so tend to tire your arms out eventually. Also some people hold them by pinching the lower corner with their thumb and index finger which won't work with a wide angle lens (unless you have those huge filters). I just put my middle finger on the top of the filter, the thumb on the bottom, and use my index finger as a brace on top of the lens.

This thing has a tennis ball for a front element. I can see how hand holding 'aint gonna work lol3.gif
    But I bet that using the larger filter plus a couple of those little leaf clippy things (sorry, I forget the name of them) would do the trick.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    This thing has a tennis ball for a front element. I can see how hand holding 'aint gonna work lol3.gif
    But I bet that using the larger filter plus a couple of those little leaf clippy things (sorry, I forget the name of them) would do the trick.

Hah, that's what I get for reading Aaron's question out of context! I'm glad they're using tennis balls as front elements now, that should be a lot cheaper than glass :D
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Here are some very fun galleries to view
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Such a dilemmaeek7.gif

Yes there is a problem Houston! or Canon!

The new S90 point and shoot has some gnarly barrel distortion when processed through LR or ACR. So I wanted to see what this really means and if it will be corrected or worth dealing with from my point of view, no pun intended:D

This is what the file looks like in Bridge compared to the other cameras I tested it next too. 697499632_489SA-XL.jpg

I wanted to see how it held up along side the G10, G11 and my old fav SD800.

Yes, the s90 file is a bit brighter due to a correction in ACR applied. I just took this screen grab a bit too soonrolleyes1.gif

Well the first thing I can tell you is that it can be delt with in post with PS and I will most likely buy one because it is much smaller than the G11 and delivers 95% of the quality.

At this point I believe the lens is the culprit:cry The image circle is too small for the sensor, thus a lens correction and crop are required, either through in camera by Canon or in post by ME!

I will post some additional details and images in my next BLOG post.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Whoa, that's no minor distortion! eek7.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    The new S90 point and shoot has some gnarly barrel distortion when processed through LR or ACR.
    There is also a whole thread about that problem, here.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    It is always unfortunate to hear someones images have been stolen, and not even a credit has been given:cry

This is happening far more frequently now than ever. In fact, here is something that ought to amaze you! On one hand it sounds pretty cool, on the other, that is infringement.

I have been a member of ASMP American Society of Media Photographers for years now and they have continually hammered this issue home to members. However, they are now making this a workshop! For those wondering about the importance of this issue, I encourage you to read this.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    On one hand it sounds pretty cool, on the other, that is infringement.

I agree 100%. It's cool to have, but definitely infringement. As much as I love Google and the other services they provide free of charge, they didn't secure the rights to do this or even consider doing it until recently. Right now the companies already in trouble from the Author's Guild and the DOJ. They have until this Friday to come up with a settlement that satisfies both.

WOW! Was just trying to find a good article about it to link to and found this link.

Anyway, here's Google's own page on the changes they're planning on making in the wake of the lawsuit.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    I had a little time to have fun with some images I took a few years ago.
    As much as I am not a fan of photo montages I do think it can be quite entertaining.
    The two images were created within several minutes of each other. A 500mm lens was used for the surfing shot and 70-200mm lens was used for the suns rays image. I composed the two images knowing I would make an attempt to blend. Because this was for myself and not a deadline in sight, some time went by before I found the time to merge them. One of the more interesting methods I have been using in my work over the past two years is what I call farming. I take many images of a scene, with the understanding I may blend/composite later. This is not to say that I dont strive for the single image still. I simply weight my efforts for the single image and shoot many others.

639433937_P9sz2-M.jpg

639432326_6UXGp-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    i like the way the rays feed into the blur of the sea. It's a nice montage.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Very nice. I like the idea of farming. When you do the farming are you doing it like a timelapse and setting the WB to be consistent or are you letting it vary as needed?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact