Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Simonius, i guess there is no arguement with getting out there and just shooting...
    but seriously that article i referenced catapulted me five years of getting out there and experimenting with prints....i may never catch up, but there is always some gem advice to be had.... granted, i still may not reproduce all the advice and when the "light hits" all the advice may go to the wasteside, and i just rely on luck, but atleast its im my head sorta kinda...
    there are a few things im really getting tired of:
    1. the more i learn the harder photography becomes.
    2. the harder i try the harder the light is to find.
    3. and everytime i go out shooting i realize how suck-o bad i am...:D

Marc, i think i know what you mean about the space junk, in that very same article i came across other tips from pros that i have tried and found a waste of my time...but thats just me....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Simonius, i guess there is no arguement with getting out there and just shooting...
    but seriously that article i referenced catapulted me five years of getting out there and experimenting with prints....i may never catch up, but there is always some gem advice to be had.... granted, i still may not reproduce all the advice and when the "light hits" all the advice may go to the wasteside, and i just rely on luck, but atleast its im my head sorta kinda...
    there are a few things im really getting tired of:
    1. the more i learn the harder photography becomes.
    2. the harder i try the harder the light is to find.
    3. and everytime i go out shooting i realize how suck-o bad i am...:D

Marc, i think i know what you mean about the space junk, in that very same article i came across other tips from pros that i have tried and found a waste of my time...but thats just me....

Very true statements Aarondeal.gif

I think your expectations are growing thus narrowing the possibilities. You are becoming a "light snob":D

For me, I must read instructions ten times, then practice ten times, then repeat both ten times. The experience is understanding which tips/junk work for you and which dont. The human element always mixes it up forcing each and everyone of us to experience for ourselves, which is, in my opinion, the beauty of it allwings.gif
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    but seriously that article i referenced catapulted me five years of getting out there and experimenting with prints....i may never catch up, but there is always some gem advice to be had.... granted, i still may not reproduce all the advice and when the "light hits" all the advice may go to the wasteside, and i just rely on luck, .

I know, Im just aware of how long I can sit in front of a computer stuffing stuff in my head when it's already fullrolleyes1.gif

BTW I don't know what the article is that you're referring to and am certainly not dissing itbowdown.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 27, 2009
    The human element always mixes it up forcing each and everyone of us to experience for ourselves, which is, in my opinion, the beauty of it allwings.gif
    That is what makes a workshop or a group of photographers feeding off of one another such a good thing thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    I think your expectations are growing thus narrowing the possibilities. You are becoming a "light snob":D

:D sticks and stones...

Simon: i know what your meaning... and heres that article: Multiply The Greatness

(goto page #2)
    http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/photoshop-and-other-software/photoshop-tips-from-the-pros.html
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    That is what makes a workshop or a group of photographers feeding off of one another such a good thing thumb.gif

Total Amen Hallelujah
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009

Simon: i know what your meaning... and heres that article: Multiply The Greatness

(goto page #2)
    ]

Thanks Aaronthumb.gif
    I see what you mean - cool!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    It's about timerolleyes1.gif

I now have a blog right here

Se ya therewings.gif
  • Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    What time sunrise and sunset are and how long it might take to drive to wherever you want to shoot sunrise and sunset.

Kristine

hi all - just discovered this thread, and thoroughly enjoyed 43 pages of great images and information this afternoon. thank you so much, marc, for all inspiration that you provide for us. thought i'd mention: i use this web site for sunrise/set, and also moonrise times. www.sunrisesunset.com ; i just make a calendar every few months. it's +/- 15 minutes accurate, but that's good enough; we are a bit north of rome, which is the closest for me, but i can usually find something to occupy my camera if the moon is late coming up:-)) plenty of cities around the world to choose your nearest, and there you are, with all local times listed. sadly, it doesn't give driving times, and dangerous critter info..!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    I am working on a list of locations to shoot in the Western US and would like to hear from some of you about what you believe would be important to know before traveling to shoot there. Here are a few topics I believe would be helpful but feel free to add to themdeal.gif and be as specific as you want.

location -

equipment -

time of year/day -

technique to apply -

?????
    These are all dimensions of "time of year", but things like wildflower peak bloom times, peak spring and fall foliage, wildlife opportunities (i.e., rutting season for certain mammals, bird migrations, etc.), typical weather (rain, snow, sun, water levels - and to what degree - so we can have appropriate clothing), road openings/closures, and also popularity (will it be so crowded that weekday shooting is necessary or can we get away with going there on a weekend?).

For location, nearby lodging/camping information, airports, etc., also and this is obvious, but subject matter (animals, landscapes, macro). This will guide the equipment choices, and you can just note when things are abnormal (i.e., when a super-telephoto is useful for landscapes, or when a wide-angle lens could be used for wildlife). Links to tide tables, moon phases, time and direction of moon/sun rise and set, and hourly weather forecasts would be useful, though generally I can find that out anyway.

Time of day obviously useful to know whether a spot is better at sunrise or sunset (or night) or any combination, for all subject matters.

Tim Fitzharris has a new book that covers a lot of this for National Parks that I think is pretty good (good enough that I gave it a review):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/155407455X/

I know you have spent countless hours roaming the west so I'm really interested in the list you come up with! I have my own internal list, but it's restricted the Pacific Northwest and having a list for anywhere else would be very useful.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:

I know you have spent countless hours roaming the west so I'm really interested in the list you come up with! I have my own internal list, but it's restricted the Pacific Northwest and having a list for anywhere else would be very useful.

Thank you for your thoughts Ron.
    I am always amazed by how many great locations there are, especially now that we can even shoot at nighteek7.gif

I recall a night on Lake Powell riding on the stern of a power boat in the moonlight. It was a warm August evening and we had been photographing all day when the full moon popped out from behind some high sheepherder clouds causing one of the sandstone towers to go silhouette. OMG, that would have made a great shot, too bad it was when the fastest ISO film I had was 200:cry

I may need to revisit a few places, or on second thought, all of themmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    About time I updated my smug site wings.gif

Here it is.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009

Here it is.

It looks great! Nice to see a lot more of your work all in one convenient place. :D

Yeow.
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009

Here it is.

So cool. thumb.gif
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    So cool. thumb.gif

Thank you Walter!

BTW I just received the invite to the ZZYZX showing, thank you! For those who do not know, Walter has been a dgrinner for years and IMO is very deddicated to his photography. I look forward to "stopping by" if I candeal.gif Even though it is in "The Middle of Nowhere" I will make a valient effort because I know it will be worth the while.

Junction of Kelbaker & Kelso Chima Roads in Kelso, CA 92309. Show is up from June 21 - Sept 20, Presented by the Mojave National Preservewings.gif

Congratulations
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    wings.gif excellent Walter!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Here it is.

simply stunning.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009

Here it is.

It looks great wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Thank you Walter!

BTW I just received the invite to the ZZYZX showing, thank you! For those who do not know, Walter has been a dgrinner for years and IMO is very deddicated to his photography. I look forward to "stopping by" if I candeal.gif Even though it is in "The Middle of Nowhere" I will make a valient effort because I know it will be worth the while.

Junction of Kelbaker & Kelso Chima Roads in Kelso, CA 92309. Show is up from June 21 - Sept 20, Presented by the Mojave National Preservewings.gif

Congratulations

Marc, new site looks awesome! Great work! thumb.gif

Walter, well done!! thumb.gif
    I'm not sure if I'll have time to swing by the exhibit on my way through to Utah in July, but I'll do my best. The photo on the page Marc linked to is spectacular!! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009

Junction of Kelbaker & Kelso Chima Roads in Kelso, CA 92309. Show is up from June 21 - Sept 20, Presented by the Mojave National Preserve

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif And to think I was with you when you inquired about the gallery space there...

We just drove past Kelso Depot after some fun at Kelso Dunes last week. The depot was closed but I do plan to bring the family back to check out your work. Congrats! clap.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Thank you Marc, Aaron, Chris & Bill. I'm very grateful to the park service for the opportunity.

Marc,

Your images are just killer. If you don't mind, (and I'm sure it doesn't matter) over how long of a time span do the images represent?

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    over how long of a time span do the images represent?
    -

About half the work was done in the past five years and the other half scattered over 20 years. When I created these galleries my objective was to include images of places that have been good to mewings.gif places that, in hind sight stand out amongst the rest, places that now hold memories of all kinds.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    Even I, got to take some pictures over the 4th, or should we call it Pixel Independence Day:D

I was staying up at Lake Nacimiento with my family for a long weekend. The area surrounding the reservoir is covered in wonderful oaks, chaparral and below everything is some wonderful poison oak. Just over a ridge about 10 miles away as the crow fly's sits the Hearst Castle. It is believed that in the particular spot where my brother-in-laws cabin sits, Mr Hearst would camp while on hunting excursions. With this in mind I decided to spend the very early mornings running up some wild ridges with my G-10 camera in the hopes of maybe finding some of the natural environments he must have seen so many years ago. I cant tell you how many burs I had to pull from my socks and shoes following each run but I did enjoy the time spent exploring. This image was taken on July 5th with some early AM fog covering the ridges. The tree sat all by itself on the very top of a grass coverd hill and nothing but views in all directions, could be a very good place to take a nap!

583903446_w5Ym8-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    It took a year but it is finally completewings.gif

The video of the Trans Catalina Trail is best viewed here
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    It took a year but it is finally completewings.gif

The video of the Trans Catalina Trail is best viewed here

Very nice. I enjoyed seeing the backcountry. Never been there before.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    On the road again:D

600135066_s3sCp-L.jpg

No these are not my best work, just a few interesting things crossing the great wide open of NEVADASTAN.

600135281_zNAJo-L.jpg

My son next to the usual grocery store items in Ely Nevadane_nau.gif

600134189_pmuKk-L.jpg

We had no shortage of things to dowings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    He at least needs a Carhart Hooded jacket lol3.gif

I feel the need for a road trip.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2009
    city folk: always doggin on our clothes:D

but I agree, get the boy a Carhart hooded jacket... then he can be cool like medeal.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Marc even your through-the-windshield shots have great color and comp! :D

+1 on the road trip. lol3.gif Nevadastan
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2009
    city folk: always doggin on our clothes:D

but I agree, get the boy a Carhart hooded jacket... then he can be cool like medeal.gif
    I'm just being practical. On a cold day, the hood covers my head and lets me shoot in style and comfort mwink.gif