Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    If anyone is visiting Venice California, stop by THE G2 GALLERY and view some landscapes. I will have 10 pieces in the show that incluces some incredible shooters.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 9, 2008
    Hmm...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Hey Marc,

a couple of questions? (im guessing you are on location somewhere, so i would think it could be awhile for a reply)

canon 24mm T/S lens:
    1. i keep thinking about that retrofit preformed on your T/S lens.
    im just not getting the benefit you get from having the tilt in-line with the shift. its making my brain hurt...
    is there a easy discription to explain why you did this?
    2. focusing is also another topic...should i focus at the FG subject first and then tilt to get the BG in focus? ive been trying many different ways and cant seem to get focus just right... sometimes it seems that the best focus is when i have no tilt at all...so im assuming i am doing something wrong.

thanks a million!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Aaron,

Here in my studio:D
    The retrofit for the T/S is simple. By having the tilt on the same axes as the shift, you can lower/shift the lens down to see more of the FG. Then when you want the FG in focus as well as the BG you can tilt the top of the lens forward thus throwing the plan of focus, top away from the camera. When you are attempting to preview focus changes made by the tilt, it will be difficult to see, as most of the time I am tilting only 1 to 2mm, which is one or two of the tiny lines engraved on the side of the lens. I always begin by focusing with no tilt. I then focus on the FG, next make the tilt, then finally focus in a bit which means focusing away from the lens usually. The last adj is made to acquire what is called the hyper focal distance. The distance from the lens which represents the medium between the closest point and the distant point in focus.
    I dont have experience with the viewfinders:cry Although, on my 1ds M3 I now use the live view and it works better than everdeal.gif
    The lens ships from Canon for architecture, meaning that after you shift up or down the only tilt you can make is sideways for walls and sides of buildings.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    i see. ive been trying to produce an end result using the lens incorrectly.
    i see the light now, thanks so much. i will try to retrofit my lens tonight...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    i see. ive been trying to produce an end result using the lens incorrectly.
    i see the light now, thanks so much. i will try to retrofit my lens tonight since i will be at toroweap north rim tommorrow....:D
    There are instructions do this on the web and it's pretty simple. You do need a fairly small screw driver though. Get a good quality driver as the screws are in fairly tight.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    found this: also note the ribbon comment for rotating cw or ccw.
    http://www.getdpi.com/tse_swap.html

other problem is i use this lens for both ls & arch so i guess i will be wearing out some screws...

thanks for the info.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    Just spent the week teaching a class at the Lepp Institute on painting with light, and we had much funwings.gif To all those in the class, I hope to see some work heredeal.gif and I really enjoyed all of your enthusiasmclap.gif

338862296_HabJe-L.jpg

338862216_LeEzJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    axemanaxeman Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2008
    Unusual Landscapes
    Marc,

Here's one of mine. You had a great assistant on the oak tree photo!
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Hello Axeman / Christopher Axe / lighting assistant

Good to hear from you and glad you poster your shotwings.gif I hope it is the first of many. Thank you again for shinning the light through the holeclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Hello Axeman / Christopher Axe / lighting assistant

Good to hear from you and glad you poster your shotwings.gif I hope it is the first of many. Thank you again for shinning the light through the holeclap.gif

Your welcome and I really enjoyed the class. I learn a lot!

I sent my photograph in for publication. I have my fingers crossed.

-Chris
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Painting with light. Wow. Some spectacular results. I especially like the way you two lit the tree.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Beautiful work !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Marc, i sure would like to see the painting with light techniques used. i can only guess how to do thisne_nau.gif
    i would like to try this painting with light at bryce canyon "thors hammer" (i have not seen it done yet)(has it been done by someone alreqady?)

so anyway, when are we going?....:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Marc, i sure would like to see the painting with light techniques used. i can only guess how to do thisne_nau.gif
    i would like to try this painting with light at bryce canyon "thors hammer" (i have not seen it done yet)(has it been done by someone alreqady?)

so anyway, when are we going?....:D

Aaron,

We'll be painting with light on the Return of Wild Utah trip, for sure. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    i truly wished i could. i can only do one day...(oct 2nd). my on-call @ work is just a killer to my freedom.
    do you take one day/evening sign up's?....bowdown.gif

or is this the workshop with the waiting list and your just rubbing it in? lol
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    i truly wished i could. i can only do one day...(oct 2nd). my on-call @ work is just a killer to my freedom.
    do you take one day/evening sign up's?....bowdown.gif

or is this the workshop with the waiting list and your just rubbing it in? lol

Sorry about your work schedule. Yeah, it's all or nothing, I'm afraid. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    very understandable...

while im here....

Marc, a question ive been trying to figure out myself but i would like to ask you for your thoughts.

with digital cameras and all our tools (i.e. acr, ps, etc) are warming filters really necessary for "Fall Colors"?

im preparing for this years fall events and i just want to make sure i benefit from proper use of my equipment.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008

with digital cameras and all our tools (i.e. acr, ps, etc) are warming filters really necessary for "Fall Colors"?

Aaron,

on camer filters warm the entire image or the global image. I like to color correct in regions later in post. I use the quick mask techniques we illustrated at the print workshop. However, it does take some time to refine the skill to understand just where to make color changes, as all digital image files need regional refinement, I think:D

So the answer is no if you can make your selective corrections in post.

Regarding painting with light, it can be simple but for predictable great results you really need to hone your skills. First rec, use halogen bulb flashlights, for that warm glow.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Pneumonia
    FYI

Marc,

I came down with a case of Pneumonia after the the class. Not sure where it came from but I suspect the Sea Pines Inn. I'm doing better now, taking antibotic's twice a day.

Regards,

Chris
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2008
    eek7.gif Sorry to hear that Chris. I stayed there as well, though so far so good. The things we endure for photographyne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    Ball Head/Clap/Tripod
    Marc,

Can you give the ball head,clap, pano gear and tripod make and model you use. I looking to buy more camera equipment.

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    axeman wrote:
    Marc,

Can you give the ball head,clap, pano gear and tripod make and model you use. I looking to buy more camera equipment.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I use the Really Right Stuff BH55 ball head on a Slick tripod. I will update this post with the exact model of the tripod once I get back into my studio. I also use the RRS, PLC 1 with nodel slide MPR CL. Here is the scoop!

The other option for you would be the slightly smaller ball head model BH 40.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Chris,

I use the Really Right Stuff BH55 ball head on a Slick tripod. I will update this post with the exact model of the tripod once I get back into my studio. I also use the RRS, PLC 1 with nodel slide MPR CL. Here is the scoop!

I use the RRS BH40 and can recommend it most highlymwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    exact model of the tripod once I get back into my studio.

The Slik 883 CF-D:

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=8036

I got it too (on Marc's recommendation) and it's great. Light, sturdy, tall, and comfortable to carry. thumb.gif

You do need a bushing to attach the RRS head to the threading on it, however. Remember this or your toys won't play well together.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    I use the RRS BH40 and can recommend it most highlymwink.gif
    nod.gif remember, the only reason you need the -55 is if you are using 300mm or longer lenses, predominately - or if you really, really need the knob vs. the lever.

I've used both, extensively. And I'm convinced that the BH-40 is right for me, I don't shoot long lenses. If I do, I'll get a BH-55 :)

In fact, I shaved another 1/3 lb off my rig, by removing the LR Clamp, and just fitting my pano clamp on the ball head. The LR clamp is easy to take off, put back on, and certainly has it's uses but for me, I'll happily sacrifice the convenience of a few seconds per shot setup, in favor of saving 1/3lb +/-. I'm going on a trip where ounces matter :D
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    In fact, I shaved another 1/3 lb off my rig, by removing the LR Clamp, and just fitting my pano clamp on the ball head. The LR clamp is easy to take off, put back on, and certainly has it's uses but for me, I'll happily sacrifice the convenience of a few seconds per shot setup, in favor of saving 1/3lb +/-. I'm going on a trip where ounces matter :D

now there's a thought I hadn't considered...which pano head are you using Andy?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    now there's a thought I hadn't considered...which pano head are you using Andy?

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gear
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Chris,

Thanks for all of the responses!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    The Slik 883 CF-D:

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=8036

I got it too (on Marc's recommendation) and it's great. Light, sturdy, tall, and comfortable to carry. thumb.gif

You do need a bushing to attach the RRS head to the threading on it, however. Remember this or your toys won't play well together.

I have a couple extra reducing bushings that I can spare. PM me if you need it. Here's where I got my Slik 883 leg set.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips