Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Very cool. Awesome POV- You must be,... very short?
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    That 'Muench-star' effect
    Hi Marc,
    I was hoping you could offer some pointers on how you achieve such impressive sun stars. The one above is perfect! I tried to acheive this effect just this morning when shooting the sunrise in DC but, while I managed flares by going to f/16, there was no star to be had.
    Greatly appreciate the advice,
    E
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Very cool. Awesome POV- You must be,... very short?

Either that or those are really big flowers mwink.gif Nice shot!

Charlie
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hi Marc,
    I was hoping you could offer some pointers on how you achieve such impressive sun stars. The one above is perfect! I tried to acheive this effect just this morning when shooting the sunrise in DC but, while I managed flares by going to f/16, there was no star to be had.
    Greatly appreciate the advice,
    E
    Much has to do with the quality of the glass in your lens. Determining this is not always easy, I have tried many lenses over the years that have not lived up to par:cry In fact I never purchased certain camera systems in the past because the wide angle lenses did not offer this feature. YES for me this feature, THE SUN STAR is a big one and also suggests the overall quality of the other lenses as well. However, remember this is one very particular type of shot and I have discovered, is almost an abnormality. Each lens has a distinct stardeal.gif This image was taken with a Canon 1ds M111 and a Nikor 16mm fisheye. I use an adaptor for the marriage.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Thanks for the response Marc.
    Guess I can add the Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS in the non-star camp - though not really that surprising.
    I'll have to try out my Sigma 30 and Canon 50/1.8mkI to see if they are up to the task. That, or wait until I can afford the 'good stuff'.
    Thanks again,
    E
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    heres a star:D , courtesy canon 24-105L IS

E, if you start a thread asking for stars id gladly add this over there...just pm me...

i dont even know if its a good one...(to a photog) (but i like itthumb.gif )

Marc, this is out of my dgrin specific gallery:D mwink.gif
    (notice the perfect cs3 merged sky)wings.gif (maybe not perfect, but good enough for me)

272160864_wqYLQ-M.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    Aaron
    Sunstar, snow, old truck man your gaining on itwings.gif

I really like this onethumb.gif
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    E, if you start a thread asking for stars id gladly add this over there...just pm me...

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64419&highlight=muench+stars

Charlie
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    Thanks for the link to that thread. Now if only everyone posted the lenses used....headscratch.gif
    E
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    Tom Dietrich, our scanner operator and alias "Pixel Pusher" will be posting here on dgrin soonclap.gif He graduated from Brooks Institute of Photography back in the day and still loves photographpy, so with luck I can drag him into the world of forumsmwink.gif

We have been messing around with our scanning workflow for 10 years now and just stumbled into something very cool. We have a drum scanner that scans into 8 bit only, seeing that the upgrade meant a new scanner costing over 60k we have simply mastered the art of scanning into 8 bit deal.gif Never-the-less, we typically open the RAW scan file into Photoshop and save it into a colorspace such as Colormatch or more recently Adobe 98 and ProPhoto. However, what Tom has been doing is opening the RAW scan files into Adobe Camera Raw:ivar This allows him to alter, tweek, enhance the image with all the tools in ACR and save it out in ProPhoto. For all those still shooting film, I highly rec this step esspecially if your scanner outputs into 16 bit color. Quality scanning is as comprehensive as Photoshop can be and therefore many steps must be taken to insure that the proper RAW scan is accurate, but ACR is a very powerful tool. BTW, only the latest version of ACR will open Tiff fileseek7.gif

I am yet again gratefully amazed by Thomas Knolls and Adobebowdown.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    CS3's ACR also opens JPG's for anyone who didn't know. mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    I just returned from Scotland

I spent my entire 11 hours on the flight home reflecting on the fact that it was sunny for eight days straight in a region of the world that receives 300+ days of rain a year. This will go down as a truly charmed workshop

The group of photographers was all talented and I don't just say that casually. We shared one B&B, two vans, two guides many late nights and early mornings but most of all interesting critiques. Maybe the lack of sleep helped, if so I highly recommend it.
    In reflection of the cultural differences between California and Scotland, several topics came flooding into my conscious while eating lunch in Heathrow airport at a fancy burger joint. Soon after ordering my $30 burger, I noticed a handsome English gentlemen eating his burger next to me. What was so interesting was that he was eating his burger with a fork and knife

#1 Three years ago Scottish Parliament became the first in all of Europe to radically change the way land is kept. By changing the access to all the land in Scotland and allowing anyone right within reason to enter or pass, land became the property of everyone. This means we could walk just about anywhere to take pictures, within reason, and following our guides customary polite query for permission from the land owner.

#2 Food portions are smaller than in the States. We often wanted more, which reminded me of Benjamin Franklin who was quoted, "Its better to leave the table wanting more than not wanting more".

#3 There was no Costco or Walmart in sight. The Isle of Mull is way out there, but it seamed stuck back in time as well. Yes there was wireless Internet but the sheep in the middle of the road were not concerned. I was surprised at how simple the stores were, there were not the thousands of salad dressings to choose from. There were only several choices making life simple.

#4 Smoking is still in. I have never seen more smokers than in Glasgow. I guess the lung cancer in the UK is not so bad?

#5 There were models of Ford automobiles that I have never seen in the States. I guess we might see such models once the price of gas equals the UK at $12 a gallon.

#6 The roads were narrow and the trucks were all the same:wow

Our incredible guides

302113008_BeKeU-L.jpg

Our home away from home, Tobermory

302112720_ovPuY-L.jpg

One of many Mullish roads

302113087_tGEBM-L.jpg

We had a great time and by the looks of all the posts thus far many great images. More to come:D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    Looks like a great time was had by all.

Excellent thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008

I spent my entire 11 hours on the flight home reflecting on the fact that it was sunny for eight days straight in a region of the world that receives 300+ days of rain a year. This will go down as a truly charmed workshop
    that Scottish weather was indeed in your honour -it absolutely tipped it down for all the rest of the country and has been really cold - yet just in Scotland it was the opposite. Lady Luck certainly shone upon you guys!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    that Scottish weather was indeed in your honour -it absolutely tipped it down for all the rest of the country and has been really cold - yet just in Scotland it was the opposite. Lady Luck certainly shone upon you guys!
    Oh, it was cold all right. It didn't rain, but it was cold. I was practically wearing a coat to bed at night.

One of the things I learned in Scotland that follows along the lines of epiphanies here is that some photographers based in Santa Barbara don't know that Whole Foods stores exist outside of CA! lol3.gif

Seriously though it was great to see you and watch you work again, Marc. As always. Looking forward to next time thumb.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    :cry

It is soo pretty!

What workshops are in the works for the 2009 season? Now that I got all the gear I wanted, not written in stone, I will pinch any extra penny I can so I might be able to go!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    :cry

It is soo pretty!

What workshops are in the works for the 2009 season? Now that I got all the gear I wanted, not written in stone, I will pinch any extra penny I can so I might be able to go!

Hang in there, Mr Pepper! The MW guys announce every workshop as soon as it's ready for the unveiling. And of course we hear it here, first. :D
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Before leaving for Scotland I had an opportunity to test one of the Hasselblad H3 39megapixel cameras. Tom Dietrich and myself conducted our 3rd resolution shootout, combining these digital cameras -

Canon G9
    Canon 20D
    Nikon D3
    Canon 1ds M11
    Canon 1ds M111
    Hasselblad H3

292881877_6jag3-L.jp

We took all these imags at the same settings with similar focal length lenses.

F11
    1/250 sec shutter speed
    ISO 200
    Focal length of full size sensor images = 70mm

The RAW images were all processed through Adobe Camera RAW. The H3 files had to be converted to DNG files prior to opening in ACR.

I will post the G9 files soon.

Canon 20D
    292466406_PSSNc-L.jpg

292463779_nx3mY-L.jpg

Nikon D3
    292467082_mePhA-L.jpg

292463591_bQQWj-L.jpg

Canon 1ds M11
    292465353_5JMoo-L.jpg
    292463742_zqbxg-L.jpg

Canon 1ds M111
    292465956_taKqK-L.jpg

292463698_Z5o8D-L.jpg

H3D
    292464652_xTFEm-L.jpg

292463643_ZAfmb-L.jpg

Looks as though the extra resolution makes a difference. However, the extra money is substantial and the real benefit is when enlarging the images beyond 40 inches. The other issue with the H3D is that it is so very limited for use in the field with such factors as available focal length lenses, battery life, media cards and the most upsetting of all the display on the back was horrible:cry I will be sticking with my Canon M111 especially since I can stitch multiple images and create even more resolution than the H3D.

The one very exciting factor in favor of the H3 was the beautiful Bokeh, that is potential shallow depth of field due to its larger sensor. The only way to assimilate such bokeh with the Canon might be to use the 50mm 1.8 lens.

I wish Canon would create a body around the larger sensor eek7.gif

As for the Nikon, well it just dosn't have the resolution. It does offer wonderful low light images thoughdeal.gif

Cheers
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    great shootout comparison Marc!thumb.gif

were they all tripped at the same moment? I ask as the sun seems different between some e.g. 1DsMk 2 and 3

What would have been interesting would to have also had a shot using Kodachrome 25. mwink.gif but I doubt anyone has any stock of that anymorerolleyes1.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    great shootout comparison Marc!thumb.gif

were they all tripped at the same moment? I ask as the sun seems different between some e.g. 1DsMk 2 and 3

What would have been interesting would to have also had a shot using Kodachrome 25. mwink.gif but I doubt anyone has any stock of that anymorerolleyes1.gif
    Yes they were all on a tripod! The interesting difference between the M11 and M111 is the highlights. The diff you see is due to the increased dynamic range of the M111. Because the M111 has a larger dynamic range especially in the highlights the image appears darker.
    Yes, all the settings in ACR were the samedeal.gif
    Also notice the additional color sat in the M111 filesclap.gif

Tom and I used to include film in the shootouts but now there is such little use. In a nut shell Fuji Velvia and Kodak 100 were the only two large format emulsions "4x5" that could hold their own against the Canon M11 and Hasselblad, then H1. Our first shootout included -

Canon EOS film 35mm
    Contax 6x4.5 medium format film
    Kodak 14N - 14megapixel camera
    Canon 1ds M11
    Hasselblad H1 - 22megapixel back
    4x5 film

What I have realized from these shootouts over the years is that film still holds wonderful color contrastwings.gif something still yet to be realized in digital sensor technology. I believe Hasselblad is getting closer with their new back which will illiminate the Bayer effect by processing on the fly, three separate color exposures. I have only heard about this but look forward to seeing if it rivals the color contrast of film.

Canon may be working on this as welleek7.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Yes they were all on a tripod!

yes I can see that - I meant were they all fired at the same instant?

But anyway you're saying any differences are diue to DR rather than weather - ok - coolmwink.gif:D
    I have realized from these shootouts over the years is that film still holds wonderful color contrastwings.gif something still yet to be realized in digital sensor technology. I

Canon may be working on this as welleek7.gif

I agree and fingers crossed on that one..mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I was going to say the exposure looked different between the different shots
    too. Maybe I need to look at this on a better monitor?

I'd be interested to hear the lens combinations you used. I know you said
    70mm in full frame so might assume the 24-105 for the Canons and the 24-120
    for the Nikon?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I was going to say the exposure looked different between the different shots
    too. Maybe I need to look at this on a better monitor?

I'd be interested to hear the lens combinations you used. I know you said
    70mm in full frame so might assume the 24-105 for the Canons and the 24-120
    for the Nikon?
    We were more interested in resolution so we kept everything similar in hopes of keeping densities similar but that was not our concern.

The Canon 70-200 F2.8 lens was use for the Canon M11 and M111
    The Zeis 50-105 was used for the Hasselblad
    The Nikon 70-200 VR was used for the Nikon
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Thanks Marc.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I spent my entire 11 hours on the flight home reflecting on the fact that it was sunny for eight days straight in a region of the world that receives 300+ days of rain a year. This will go down as a truly charmed workshop...
    Marc. You are a brave man for sure. You did not sleep on the plain ?headscratch.gif
    Then, when you arrived home you were very very tired indeed.eek7.gif
    Were you travelling business or first ? There you have more room for the legs, a better seat and food but pay much more :cry

I am very glad you all made such a sucessfull trip to Europe under such a good weather.:D
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hang in there, Mr Pepper! The MW guys announce every workshop as soon as it's ready for the unveiling. And of course we hear it here, first. :D

Hello Schmoo.:D

I am very interested myself in the next workshop.mwink.gif
    Can I subscribe any RSS or whatever to know when it will happen ?
    :D
    Thank you :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    is it just me, or does the HD3 100% image look noiser than the 1DsMIII? Fascinating series. I am quite impressed with the D3 actually, even though it doesnt compare with 1d's, it is very impressive.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Hello Schmoo.:D

I am very interested myself in the next workshop.mwink.gif
    Can I subscribe any RSS or whatever to know when it will happen ?
    :D
    Thank you :Dthumb.gif

You can get on our mailing list via the contact page at muenchworkshops.com. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can get on our mailing list via the contact page at muenchworkshops.com. thumb.gif

:Dbowdown.gifthumb
    Done.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    :Dbowdown.gifthumb
    Done.
    headscratch.gif I've not received it. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops