The CS3 Thread :)

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    I agree...
    Nikolai wrote:
    Just spent the whole eveing watching the videos.
    It looks like in this version Adobe finally did a lot of things right.. Adobe's website gives a good rundown on the new features, but the videos are well worth watching (NAPP members will get some extras). New curves, new edge refining and selection tool, new vanishing point, new b/W, new blending modes, smart filters, new bridge ... The list goes on and on...
    Man, this is gonna be the bes PS ever clap.gif

I watched a bunch of the videos too. This looks like one of the bigger releases with multiple compelling things to motivate an upgrade. They got me just with ACR4 and all the new adjustments, but I can see a bunch of things in the Photoshop editor that will be highly useful too. There are even lots of little things that they finally got right like why wasn't the histogram shown in the curves editor until now. It's sooo helpful to see there, particularly when you're messing with contrast and curve steepness. I think smart filters will save a lot of editing rework time too when you suddenly realize you have to modify an earlier editing step as you now won't have to delete subsequent layers, make the fix and then redo those steps. To me, this release is a big deal.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    I want smugmug cs3 How to's. :)
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Sure hope they fix the brush-size-visibility thing soon. :cry
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I love opening Bridge and CS3 now! Everytime, something new!

It's an Adobe-gasm!!!!!! lol3.gif
    Cool loupe tool in Bridge, a bit buggy but interesting to have it.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Yeah, when I first used it I noticed it was rotating around and I couldn't figure out what I did to make it do that - I quickly realized it orients itself on its own. Clever effect, and a pretty useful little addition.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:

It seems to work great at time and others it displays vertical lines/noise. I like it when it works right.
    edited December 16, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    It seems to work great at time and others it displays vertical lines/noise. I like it when it works right.
    Bridge forums the dev's say it's when the image has been rotated and they will be fixing it.
    edited December 16, 2006
    Did the Automate>Web Photo Gallery feature get removed/replaced? headscratch.gif
  • 01af01af Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I love opening Bridge ...
    You do!? Have you ever tried browsing a folder with, say, 500 or more image files using Bridge 2.0? On my machine, Bridge crashes every time when I try this. It happily (but slowly) builds the cache. Okay. But then, when I try selecting one of the images, it goes haywire ... and then usually crashes eventually. Browsing folders with only a few dozen image files however is working fine ...

Am I the only one who experiences this? I have many folders that contain 200 - 800 image files each.

-- Olaf
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bridge forums the dev's say it's when the image has been rotated and they will be fixing it.

The whole image or the displayed image in the loupe?

I see it more on vertical images. if the loop is oriented down, but if it spins up it seems to fix itself. ne_nau.gif I still find it very useful and will be waiting for the final version. deal.gif
    edited December 16, 2006
    01af wrote:
    Am I the only one who experiences this? I have many folders that contain 200 - 800 image files each .

My current folder has 400 images and it works well, the loupe has some intermittent issues and in vertical filmstrip mode my thumbnails don't seem to be as large as they display in 1.0, there is a fair amount of empty space. That said it does load a lot faster vs 1.0.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    That said it does load a lot faster vs 1.0.

I'll agree with this but I'm still not crazy about the speed of the latest bridge compared to software like Photo Mechanics. Maybe if I had more RAM (I have 2 GB) or ??? Photo Mechanics seems to do just about everything bridge does only faster and a whole lot easier. And when it comes to downloads, I've yet to find a program that works as well at Photo Mechanics (renaming, downloads to multiple locations, etc).

That said, the other new features in PSCS3 seem nice. ACR is dramatically improved. I'm still struggling a bit with using dual screens and the tool/layer/etc palettes, but even Scott Kelby struggled with that!

I think it's brilliant for Adobe to release this as a beta though. Gives a good chance to learn it before making the leap to purchase.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Setting curves dialog defaults
    It took me a little while to figure this out. I want darkness always to the left. In the vocabulary of cs3 that means I want pigment / ink % instead of light to be the default. Used to be you could just click on the little button in the center of the x axis and it stuck for the given color space. Now you have to choose "Curve Display Options" and then check the appropriate box. But I couldn't figure out how to get it to stick (become the default.)

Answer: Choose "Present Custom" from the drop down at the top. Make the change to pigment / ink%. Then OK and now it's the default.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 17, 2006
    Activation
    My CS2 serial number didn't work, so I checked "trial". It says I only have 2 more days. Did anyone else get something better to work?
    If not now, when?
    edited December 17, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    My CS2 serial number didn't work, so I checked "trial". It says I only have 2 more days. Did anyone else get something better to work?

Well, I'm not a great fine-print reader, but reading the fine-print at the bottom of the download page paid off.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 17, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Well, I'm not a great fine-print reader, but reading the fine-print at the bottom of the download page paid off.
    nod.gif Reading is hard lol3.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Torn apart...
    With all the latest improvements coming in for both ACR and PS, it's gonna be really hard to make a decision which tool use for what. Color correction tabs of the ACR (HSL sliders, configurable parametric curve) kick ass, but per-channel curving of PS would still give you a more precise control. Split toning for duo-tones in ACR has no direct match in PS, but PS' Black and White adjustment layer, with its 7 channels sliders and direct "on-image" control can make anybody crazy with the question "why can't we have both in the same tool?".

I guess the solution for now would be to import the RAW file as a smart object (at least for those images that you know you gonna work hard with for whatever reason), so you'd be able to use the both set of tools interchangeably...

Man isn't this the best PS version ever...:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 18, 2006
    You have to separate ease and power. If there is some way to convert from raw to PS's internal format without losing any information, then well, I'd say this wins on the power score. You should be able to do just about anything. It's a mere matter of knowing how.

Already (in CS2), though, there are a few things which are much easier to do in ACR, particularly a first take on color balance.

Without all 10 channels available, without the various brush and selection tools, etc, it's hard to see how ACR could ever actually get close to PS in terms of raw power.

Here is what I'd really like most of all: no ACR at all. Why couldn't PS just open the darned file and then pay attention to the tools so that color balance, highlight/shadow, &etc would work well with raw files.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 18, 2006
    John,
    rutt wrote:
    You have to separate ease and power. If there is some way to convert from raw to PS's internal format without losing any information, then well, I'd say this wins on the power score. You should be able to do just about anything. It's a mere matter of knowing how.
    I think the way of using RAW as a Smart Object (CS2/CS3) is currently the way of combining the power of both.
    rutt wrote:
    Already (in CS2), though, there are a few things which are much easier to do in ACR, particularly a first take on color balance.
    Totally agree!
    rutt wrote:
    Without all 10 channels available, without the various brush and selection tools, etc, it's hard to see how ACR could ever actually get close to PS in terms of raw power.
    The lack of channels manipulation and support as well as a bery basic sharpening definitely weakens it, otherwise ACR woul become almost ideal from Dan's p.o.w., since there is no way to make selection and you have to operate on the whole image:-)

rutt wrote:
    Here is what I'd really like most of all: no ACR at all. Why couldn't PS just open the darned file and then pay attention to the tools so that color balance, highlight/shadow, &etc would work well with raw files.

I agree again. They have already dropped ImageReady, I hope next time they'll simply integrate ACR into PS itself and simply activate/deactivete the certain tools based on what they can or cannot do. They already made the ACR aware of the two most common digital camera types: jpeg and tiff, there is no reason anymore to keep it separate. All the have to do is to update "Camera Raw.8bi" dll from time to time:-)
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    edited December 18, 2006
    Scripting compatibility
    Seems to be OKclap.gif
    I just verified that Star*Explorer integration with Bridge works with CS3 version too:ivar .
    The only difference seems to be a script folder name (details on the website)
    edited December 18, 2006
    CS3 Bridge Image download
    Tried it today for the first time. Popped in the card and was greeted with a multiple choice window, among the choices - Bridge image import.
    Gave it a try and was blown away. :D
    I mean, I watched the video on it, but watching somebody doing it and doing it yourself are "two big differences" (as they say in Odessa). I opted for Advanced Dialog, which seems to be way more powerful than it's non-advanced brother.
    One of the nice things (apart many) is its ability to apply metadata while copying the data. Shaves a step in a workflow, making my life a bit easier.thumb.gif
    WTG, Adobe!clap.gif
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    It sounds like the updates to Bridge and ACR are bringing the frontend of the Photoshop Creative Suite to be very similar to Lightroom. Any thoughts on the differences in workflow between the two?

Erich
    edited December 19, 2006
    Erich,
    erich6 wrote:
    It sounds like the updates to Bridge and ACR are bringing the frontend of the Photoshop Creative Suite to be very similar to Lightroom. Any thoughts on the differences in workflow between the two?

Erich

I agree. All is missing is to bring ACR functionality into the Bridge itself.
    I mean the left hand control panel of ACR acan be just another panel in Bridge. deal.gif
    And THAT would be a killer!clap.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 19, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

Bridge already kills my machine. :cry
    edited December 19, 2006
    Richard,
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Bridge already kills my machine. :cry

This is strange... I observe better performance of CS3 vs CS2 across the board...ne_nau.gif And my PC is two years old, 1 Gb of RAM, nothing fancy...

Do you use the new thumbnail logic? It helps a lot...
    edited December 19, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    This is strange... I observe better performance of CS3 vs CS2 across the board...ne_nau.gif And my PC is two years old, 1 Gb of RAM, nothing fancy...

Do you use the new thumbnail logic? It helps a lot...

Actually, I'm talking about CS2. My machine is 5 years old. It was great till I started doing photography. rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 19, 2006
    I think it's coming
    Nikolai wrote:
    I agree. All is missing is to bring ACR functionality into the Bridge itself.
    I mean the left hand control panel of ACR acan be just another panel in Bridge. deal.gif

I just noticed: in Bridge's Preferences there is an Inspector section, which is empty for now. However, descriptions says something about panels in Inspector mode, whcih, methinks, is akin to LR's Developer's mode...mwink.gifdeal.gif
    Man, I'm already drooling:-) clap.gif
    edited December 19, 2006
    I see..
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Actually, I'm talking about CS2. My machine is 5 years old. It was great till I started doing photography. rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, the new one will take advantage of the fast videocard, 64bit OS, extra memory.. Time to upgrade, mon cher ami!
    Not now, but maybe in April, or whenever Vista comes out...
    edited December 19, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, the new one will take advantage of the fast videocard, 64bit OS, extra memory.. Time to upgrade, mon cher ami!
    Not now, but maybe in April, or whenever Vista comes out...

Yep. My thoughts exactly.