The CS3 Thread :)

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Okay, Andy, you were right. The new 'bridge' is faster than the CS2 bridge for me-- but it's still clunky and slow for sorting compared to Photo Mechanics.

But-- that said, I did a comparison of a DPP processed RAW with a CS3 ACR processed RAW (in the past, DPP was better) and I actually liked the CS3 ACR better this time! Now that's a start.

I agree-- integrating the ACR with CS3 would be nice. Eventually, I'd like Adobe to release a PS version just aimed at photographers.

Ironically, the "new" single bar toolbar on CS3 looks quite a bit like the Elements toolbar...

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Actually, I'm talking about CS2. My machine is 5 years old. It was great till I started doing photography. rolleyes1.gif
    Hey, get rid of Norton Antivirus already! (IT humor ... Norton's cripled more machines ...)

I see some wonderful improvements in CS3, but it's still the same basically nice package - but updated. Maybe they "rewrote Bridge", but I see ACR as the big improvement. I've only watched the videos and read some feature highlights, but that's my .02.

One cool feature is ACR accepting jpg and tiff formats. The new smart selection and blending features are trick too!
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Okay, Andy, you were right.

Was there ever any doubt headscratch.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
    Ironically, the "new" single bar toolbar on CS3 looks quite a bit like the Elements toolbar...

Click just above the blue Ps, you will get a different toolbar:
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Was there ever any doubt headscratch.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Click just above the blue Ps, you will get a different toolbar:

It's good to have the choice of single or double row, but what I want is to be able to completely customize the contents. There are some tools that I never use at all (the hand, for example). Other tools that share a button (paint bucket and gradient, for example) I use frequently and would rather have both of them visible at once. It's obviously not a big deal, but Microsoft and others have had customizable toolbars for years, and you would think that Adobe could do the same. Grumble, grumble...
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Richard,
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    It's good to have the choice of single or double row, but what I want is to be able to completely customize the contents. There are some tools that I never use at all (the hand, for example). Other tools that share a button (paint bucket and gradient, for example) I use frequently and would rather have both of them visible at once. It's obviously not a big deal, but Microsoft and others have had customizable toolbars for years, and you would think that Adobe could do the same. Grumble, grumble...

Can't agree more. I also never use some of those tools (likedodge/burn) and others I use exclusively via shortcuts (hand, zoom, quick mask). Yet they all take space, and, most importantly, you can't dock it along with other panels and save this strip of space, since even in the most collapsed state it will take the width of that one column and occupying the tiny top part of it.. Argh...

I do hope they will change their docking and configuration policy. They have already mage a huge leap in that direction, all it takes is a few more polishing steps. Again, this is the first public beta, and it already rocks:-)
    If I know anything about development is that you can do a lot in 6 months deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 20, 2006
    Link to Martin Evening's 21pg PDF on the new goodness in PS CS3:

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/14/whats-new-in-photoshop-cs3-for-photographers/

Sorry if this was posted already?
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's an Adobe-gasm!!!!!! lol3.gif
    ARQG!

So when is CS3 supposed to come out?
    edited December 20, 2006
    Nice link
    Andy wrote:
    Link to Martin Evening's 21pg PDF on the new goodness in PS CS3:

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/14/whats-new-in-photoshop-cs3-for-photographers/

Sorry if this was posted already?

In case you haven't read much about CS3 and want a coincise yet rather full review this might be a good one to start with. thumb.gif
    (Or you can play with the beta yourself over a weekend and you will learn all that and then some:-) mwink.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hrrmm... I use the hand all the time (alright, minds out of the gutters! :nono )--however I NEVER use the toolbar to get to it, spacebar-for-hand is probably one of the best shortcuts on the keyboard. You point is a good one: why not have a customizable toolbar? Or perhaps an expandable one with most-used always visible then expand for the rest?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    The new icons: Love or hate them?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 21, 2006
    Bendr wrote:
    ARQG!

So when is CS3 supposed to come out?

Well-- it's pretty much out, at least as a beta for PSCS2 folks. The beta is fully funtional though-- it's the only software I've used to post-process pics since it was released Friday.

Personally, I think the beta option is a brilliant move by Adobe. I generally don't buy the PS upgrades when they come out-- in fact PSCS2 I didn't buy until last month when I had to due to selling off old camera gear and my old ACR version wouldn't work with the new gear. So this time when Adobe "officially" releases CS3, I will be buying the upgrade right away just because I'll already be used to it-- and honestly, the new ACR is a huge improvement, IMO.

So what I'm saying is-- yes, you'll need PSCS2 to get the CS3 beta but if you're anything like me, you'll be shooting and processing thousands of photos between now and the official CS3 release-- so why wait?

Just my worthless two-cents anyway...

edited December 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The new icons: Love or hate them?

Hate 'em. I thought they were for the beta version only... guess not. They look cheap and I don't like icons with words or letters. I thought the point of an icon was to quickly identify a program visually-- not by figuring out if the PS intials (just as an example) are the Photoshop file or the Pete Springer folder or the Photos Selected folder, etc etc.

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Are they really final icons?
    dogwood wrote:
    Hate 'em. I thought they were for the beta version only... guess not. They look cheap and I don't like icons with words or letters. I thought the point of an icon was to quickly identify a program visually-- not by figuring out if the PS intials (just as an example) are the Photoshop file or the Pete Springer folder or the Photos Selected folder, etc etc.

In other software beta processes I've been part of, it has been common to have icons that just had letters on them during the beta process because final icon designs often can or do come in late in the process. The UI developer doesn't have the final icon when they build the UI so they put a placeholder in the product until the final icon is produced by the graphics folks. Are we sure that these lettered icons are intended to be production icons and aren't just placeholders in the beta process?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited December 21, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Are we sure that these lettered icons are intended to be production icons and aren't just placeholders in the beta process?

Pretty Sure.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 21, 2006
    edited December 21, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 21, 2006
    CS3 icons
    DavidTO wrote:

Well, since all you see on your desktop are links/shortcuts, you can always replace the icon for any of them in case you don't like the default one.
    So, what's the big deal?ne_nau.gif
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Black & White filter
    I'm amazed by the new black & white adjustment layer. Did you guys notice that you don't have to move the sliders -- instead, you can just scrub parts of the image to darken (left scrub) or lighten (right scrub) the pixel values.

Not only is this cool for adjusting black & white images, but it also makes a powerful selection tool for masking.

Nikos
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 21, 2006
    Icons
    Did Adobe use the full power of Illustrator to create these CS3 icons?

Yuck. Man, those are for squares! (Hippie ref.) lol3.gif

Somebody's going to figure a way to change them all to something better, and will result in a new side industry.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited December 22, 2006
    Nikos,
    nikos wrote:
    I'm amazed by the new black & white adjustment layer. Did you guys notice that you don't have to move the sliders -- instead, you can just scrub parts of the image to darken (left scrub) or lighten (right scrub) the pixel values.

Not only is this cool for adjusting black & white images, but it also makes a powerful selection tool for masking.

Nikos

I agree, the idea of grabbing the image itself and changing the luminosity simply by dragging is pretty ingenious. Color-coded sliders are also cool, but that image dragging is something. Interesting, they have chosen the similar approach in their new Quick Selection tool, complete with Refine Edges. Eliminates all the guesswork and simplifies the whole selecting ordeal...

And that mistery Inspector mode in Bridge... Makes you wonder what other cards do they still hold in their sleeves for the actual release mwink.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Lightroom vs Bridge/ACR
    erich6 wrote:
    It sounds like the updates to Bridge and ACR are bringing the frontend of the Photoshop Creative Suite to be very similar to Lightroom. Any thoughts on the differences in workflow between the two?

Erich

Erich -
    Did you get any response to this comment? I saw Scott Kelby's column in Photoshop User but haven't found any deep discussion beyond lightroom for the profesional photography

Note: I found this discussion via searching dgrin, but nothing else - did I miss it? rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Did you get any response to this comment? I saw Scott Kelby's column in Photoshop User but haven't found any deep discussion beyond lightroom for the profesional photography

This interests me as well. I've been using Lightroom for pretty much everything, and have just started with PS for sharpening etc. I'll be buying CS3 for sure, if I can avoid buying Lightroom as well, that would be great. I do love it though.

I'm currently "evaluating" CS3, I'm gonna try ACR when I get a moment and see what I think.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
    edited December 28, 2006
    Funny bug
    I've noticed another minor annoyance: in some cases CS3 provides nice descriptive icons for the adjustment layers, but sometimes displays an old "generic" ones.

Here are two samples taken from two consecutively edited images:

CS3 Layer Icons bug:

119367159-L.jpg

I have a feeling that generic icons happen for the very first image, and next ones are OK, but I didn't spend enough time to verify this assumption...

Funny, however, than once you get generic (or new descriptive) icons in your PSD, you will keep getting them for this image.

[EDIT]
    It's not the bug, and it's not CS3. It's the vertical orientation or icon size. If changed in Layers' Palette option to Medium (or Large) it will always be descriptive.
    False alarm:-)
    edited December 29, 2006
    resizing bug
    Just ran across this gem about CS3 bugs:

"#1382654: Mac/Win: Quality of Image Size resizing is worse than CS2
    ————————————————————
    Workaround:
    1) Use CS2"

Well this sure explains why my size-for-web action in CS3 (the same action I use in CS2) leaves me with pixelated edges.

Here are the rest of the known bugs:

http://photoshopnews.com/... .../12/27/photoshop-cs3-known-issues-updated/

edited December 29, 2006
    Pete,
    dogwood wrote:

Nice link, thanks alot!thumb.gif
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Erich -

Note: I found this discussion via searching dgrin, but nothing else - did I miss it? rolleyes1.gif

Nick posted:
    I agree. All is missing is to bring ACR functionality into the Bridge itself.
    I mean the left hand control panel of ACR acan be just another panel in Bridge. deal.gif
    And THAT would be a killer!clap.gif

That's about the extent of the discussion so far. I downloaded the Lightroom beta version and I plan on downloading CS3 to compare.... I like some of the Lightroom functions but I use DxO Pro to do my initial processing so it doesn't quite fit in the workflow. The part of Lightroom that attracts me is the duotoning and B&W conversion and I think CS3 now offers that in ACR.

Erich
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    he he this is my favourite

#1324277: Cancel on progress dialogs does not work
    ————————————————————
    Workaround:
    1) Do not click Cancel while a progress dialog is displayed
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited December 31, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Just ran across this gem about CS3 bugs:

"#1382654: Mac/Win: Quality of Image Size resizing is worse than CS2
    ————————————————————
    Workaround:
    1) Use CS2"

Well this sure explains why my size-for-web action in CS3 (the same action I use in CS2) leaves me with pixelated edges.

Here are the rest of the known bugs:

http://photoshopnews.com/... .../12/27/photoshop-cs3-known-issues-updated/

My Bridge Prefs, for which are my "favorites" are not being saved. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just being dum?
    edited January 1, 2007
    Bridge prefs?
    Andy wrote:
    My Bridge Prefs, for which are my "favorites" are not being saved. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just being dum?

Which ones?
    Thus far mine seems to save everything MRU perfectly... ne_nau.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Adobe released a Bridge CS3 Beta 2, info at robgalbraith.com