Options

A question about DSLR's

124»

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    haven't andy and waxman beaten the lens thing into you yet? sure they'll both be antiques, but the lenses won't....

Thats exactly my point ...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats exactly my point ...
    so you like the nikkor lenses better? (i've been absentee on your debate, sorry)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so you like the nikkor lenses better? (i've been absentee on your debate, sorry)
    No (well maybe)... as a learner i couldnt run each camera to the point where i can produce a quality difference. But the lens is money for quality that will be still going strong when digital camera X is sitting in the filing cabnet beside my 1983 AE-1 & unteen old fungusy lenses.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No (well maybe)... as a learner i couldnt run each camera to the point where i can produce a quality difference. But the lens is money for quality that will be still going strong when digital camera X is sitting in the filing cabnet beside my 1983 AE-1 & unteen old fungusy lenses.
    You know they tighten the screws tighter on white lenses. deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    fish wrote:
    You know they tighten the screws tighter on white lenses. deal.gif
    I was reading somewhere in a nikon forum that they wont buy the grey 70-200 VR f2.8 nikkor as they dont want to be mistaken for canon shooters 1drink.gif

some people 'eh ?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I was reading somewhere in a nikon forum that they wont buy the grey 70-200 VR f2.8 nikkor as they dont want to be mistaken for canon shooters 1drink.gif

some people 'eh ?rolleyes1.gif

People are stupid. Yer not stupid, are ya gus?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    You're Welcome, 'Gus!
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks for taking the time to do that nee thumb.gif
    I'm going through the same struggle myself, so it wasn't exactly an unselfish act for me to test out both cameras, rolleyes1.gif

Have you decided on anything yet? (You can PM me if you don't want to make your decision public...I won't tell! For the rest of you Dgrin-ers, too bad! blbl.gif )

Anyhow, I hope you'll share your thoughts with me...I'm really stuck on the fence as to which way to go, and feeling the time pressure, too! I want to be able to have it all figured out before well our upcoming Yosemite trip, so I can have enough time to learn whatever camera I end up with!

Thanks,
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    I'm going through the same struggle myself, so it wasn't exactly an unselfish act for me to test out both cameras, rolleyes1.gif

Have you decided on anything yet? (You can PM me if you don't want to make your decision public...I won't tell! For the rest of you Dgrin-ers, too bad! blbl.gif )

Anyhow, I hope you'll share your thoughts with me...I'm really stuck on the fence as to which way to go, and feeling the time pressure, too! I want to be able to have it all figured out before well our upcoming Yosemite trip, so I can have enough time to learn whatever camera I end up with!

Thanks,
    ~Nee :)
    Regardless of what you get, you will not have made a mistake.

I've suggested before that what feels good and intuitive in your hand
    is a good measure. As are the optics quality. Like others, the glass will
    long outlive the body (unless you go the FS route (Canon)).

Go back to the store, close your eyes and try and take picky's. Imagine
    the movement your hands make on the controls. How does the camera feel
    in your hands?

In the end, you can even flip a coin. But you need to decide :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    fish wrote:
    People are stupid. Yer not stupid, are ya gus?
    As thick as two short planks mate...but i could talk a dingo out of his lunch.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    did someone say lunch?
    Humungus wrote:
    As thick as two short planks mate...but i could talk a dingo out of his lunch.

i heard lunch somewhere.

i really did.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    'gus when I chose, one of things that influenced me was the availabilty of used Canon equiptment. (Some might argue that as negative point :D)

If you take the flea market here as an example: in the last 2 pages 11 canon items / 1 nikon item have come up. If your on a budget this can really help.
    Having said that I bought my body used, but my lenses have all been new so far...I'm too impatient!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    No doubt at all mate. I may swing canon yet....im looking as we speak.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Evening 'gus.
    You know you want it. We know you want it. Now get it deal.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    higher isos
    Humungus wrote:

'gus, choose whichever, but choose. that said, you like to shoot dark and i've been saying this all along, nobody but nobody disputes the fact that at the higher isos, 1600 and even 3200, canon is superior.

just something to think about and make yer head explode gerg.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    'gus, choose whichever, but choose. that said, you like to shoot dark and i've been saying this all along, nobody but nobody disputes the fact that at the higher isos, 1600 and even 3200, canon is superior.

just something to think about and make yer head explode gerg.gif
    Mate im having too much fun here....i will choose the day i drop the ready on the counter & say...'give me one of those.'
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    'gus when I chose, one of things that influenced me was the availabilty of used Canon equiptment. (Some might argue that as negative point :D)

If you take the flea market here as an example: in the last 2 pages 11 canon items / 1 nikon item have come up. If your on a budget this can really help.
    Having said that I bought my body used, but my lenses have all been new so far...I'm too impatient!

See Us Nikon guys (n gals) do not need to switch all our equipment weekly
    :D

I haven't bought a lense in a year and haven't taken one out of service either. (I have 4)