Options

>>> Last Photographer Standing - Initial Discussion <<<

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    hey I was right sorta.....

My guess was:
    "Smugmug does An American idol thing where we somehow narrow it down to the next great American Photographer!"

kinda sounds like what we're doing "sorta"... I'll settle for a 100 Gift certificate for the guess.
    Does Shay get to be Simon Cowell? :D

troy
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    windoze wrote:
    hey I was right sorta.....

My guess was:
    "Smugmug does An American idol thing where we somehow narrow it down to the next great American Photographer!"

troy
    American headscratch.gif
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    gus wrote:
    American headscratch.gif

I only used that term to refer to the analogy with the show "American Idol". No other inferences are implied..

troy
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Hopefully there will be some way that if a
    photographer takes a great, landscape let's say, they can still somehow get
    it into the contest even though at the time it was shot, the challenge was birds.
    Listen to Shay's well-spoken words about the art. But as the host (think of me as the mechanic), let me take this chance to make it clear... As with our previous challenges: Shots must be fresh - taken during the 2-week contest period.
    deal.gif(rules)

You're not going to win with that one amazing shot you took at the Grand Canyon 2 years ago, sorry. :nono
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    This Is fantastic, truly inspiring! Thank you Dgrin!
    wings.gif

Will the contests be allowing for Photoshop "stuff" or just the basic adjustments...??? In my HO, it should either be allowed in ALL, or None.

Didn't see this in the rules, just curious:D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    erich6 wrote:
    Thanks Andy. This looks like it is going to be a great contest. Thanks for putting this together!
    Kudos to Shay, who came up with the "knockout" format clap.gif and DoctorIt for spearheading the effort to get it all done. And to all the other Mods who helped put it all together with me bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Trish323 wrote:
    This Is fantastic, truly inspiring! Thank you Dgrin!
    wings.gif

Will the contests be allowing for Photoshop "stuff" or just the basic adjustments...??? In my HO, it should either be allowed in ALL, or None.

Didn't see this in the rules, just curious:D

Here's what our Shay Stephens had to say, and this is also why you don't see it in da rulz:
    If it isn't too late, I would like to comment on the no photoshop rule. It's really really amatuer. There isn't and shouldn't be a limitation on that. Only those without post processing skills (it's 1/3 of the job, folks!) and news photographers care about such things. If someboady devises some uber wowzer way of post processing that the world has never seen before, I don't want them feeling that it may not fly.

The lame stuff that most people hate won't make it very far in the voting anyway, so it will be taken care of without a rule to deal with it.
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Here's what our Shay Stephens had to say, and this is also why you don't see it in da rulz:

Very Good! Thanks Andy.
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Sounds like a great idea but I'm going to miss the current weekly challenges. They made this site interesting because there were both excellent and average images and ideas. I suspect that some of the current entrants will not even try. Is there a compelling reason for not continuing them as well, or is it just to encourage people to participate in the newer contest?
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    LilleG wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea but I'm going to miss the current weekly challenges.
    They were bi-weekly, just like the new contest format.
    They made this site interesting because there were both excellent and average images and ideas.
    And I'm sure that the new contest will have the same, and the cream will rise to the top thumb.gif
    I suspect that some of the current entrants will not even try.
    Lame. Why? There's zero barrier to entry. Open to all, this is. Fun to compete, stretch, learn, grow. The crits will be extremely useful for all of us. Don't by shy, get out, take your best shot, and enter it, you can do it! deal.gif
    Is there a compelling reason for not continuing them as well, or is it just to encourage people to participate in the newer contest?
    One contest is enough :D Stretch, grow, try something new, it won't hurt a bit, we promise mwink.gif And, who knows? ....
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Wow... :D

Good on dgrin for sparking such a great contest format. I imagine that there was quite a bit of effort put into this.

Thanks so much and I am looking forward to the contest entries...

Lee
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    LilleG wrote:
    Is there a compelling reason for not continuing them as well, or is it just to encourage people to participate in the newer contest?

Hopefully the never-ending quest to improving one's craft will be enough of a reason.

100x20-digg-button.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Well, you gotta love this! I especially love the idea that you guys are trying not to stagnate.

In that spirit, here is a question: Why have themes at all? In order to make the strongest possible case for a no-theme format, I'll paraphrase Shay:
    If it isn't too late, I would like to comment on the theme rule. It's really really amatuer. Devising great themes is more than 1/3 of the job, folks!
    If somebody devises some uber wowzer new subject that the world has never seen before, I don't want them feeling that it may not fly.

Just trying to put this in the strongest possible light.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Oh, and I really don't see any reason why dgrin moderators who are not in the employ of smugmug shouldn't be allowed to enter. Some of them are really tough competitors. I'd really love to see entries from 'Gus, Harry, Gubbs, Sid, &etc. The new format tends to remove them from the process. So why not just exclude all smugmug employees and judges?

--Chief Troublemaker
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Oh, and I really don't see any reason why dgrin moderators who are not in the employ of smugmug shouldn't be allowed to enter. Some of them are really tough competitors. I'd really love to see entries from 'Gus, Harry, Gubbs, Sid, &etc. The new format tends to remove them from the process. So why not just exclude all smugmug employees and judges?

--Chief Troublemaker
    You haven't read enough dgrin challenge judging threads! lol3.gif They get, ummm, rather heated. Hopefully, this will defuse all that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    MaxThompsonMaxThompson Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Got My Attention
    Andy wrote:
    Stop the presses! We're redefining the photo challenge!
    Starting on March 5th, we all enter a new era. Forget what you know about old fashioned photo challenges, because they have just been made obsolete. Starting March 5th, brace yourself for the most compelling photographic contest ever devised. Prepare yourself for...

Dgrin presents...
    The World's Best Photographer Contest!
    • Contest themes: this or that... no, not both, you have to pick the one from a pair of opposites! Choose the one that speaks to you and let your creative juices guide you. This means more interesting competition, each photo has to stand on its own as a great "photo", not just a great "photo of (blank)". Your photo will be pitted against others of like theme, but it will also have to withstand the onslaught of contrasting themed entries. Will your photo still be good enough?
    • Building excitement: Each contest cycle will have 5 qualifying rounds open to everyone and a 6th semifinal round open only to finalists of the preceding qualifying rounds. The goal of the 5 qualifying rounds is to be one of the top 10 finalists as this qualifies you to participate in the semifinal. The semifinal will be open themed, you are on your own, your artistic and photographic abilities will be the only thing to guide you to produce a shot good enough to make you the winner of the semifinal.
    • Grand Finale: Once a year there will be a mind-blowing Grand Finale pitting the cream of the crop against each other in a knock-down drag-out fight to the finish. Only one photographer will emerge as the Dgrin World's Best Photographer!
    • Critique: Our Artists-in-Residence and other guests are going to be giving feedback on the finalists. You are going to learn from the best!
    • Prizes: Forget what you knew... how does more than $25,000 (USD) sound?!?
    Think you can handle it? Stay tuned for details... deal.gif

Thanks to our Artist-in-Residence Shay Stephens for the major design elements of this contest!

100x20-digg-button.gifssbn729.gif

Andy,

It's great to see a team of folks run an Nuke-Powered Ship like Smugmug and Dgrin, I applaud loud and clear - are you going like Prime Time with nationwide advertising or at least on some major URL that gets major traffic like CNN.com - on the front page? I know Dell and other have profited greatly off this type of advertising. I know this is about ART - but it is also a great MARKETING strategy.
    Max

• Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You haven't read enough dgrin challenge judging threads! lol3.gif They get, ummm, rather heated. Hopefully, this will defuse all that.

That's part of the fun. And more realistic as well.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    rutt wrote:

--Chief Troublemaker

ahem! what am I, cottage cheese?

rolleyes1.gif

I am totally on board with the "mods" not being eligible. Part of the goal of this contest is to find, develop and highlight the best of the best and a large part of that will come in the form of meaningful critique and teaching.

The "AIRs" and "mods" can only do this best if they are removed from the participation equation. And let's not forget how heated some previous challenge threads have become when folks didn't agree with the selection of finalists. Can you imagine what would happen if a "mod" made it to the finals? :nono
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    ahem! what am I, cottage cheese?

Oops, I knew there's be someone I'd offend. Angelo, please take this more as artifact of when I was most involved with the challenges (more than a year ago) than anything else. I got so busy with other things that I stopped paying that much attention to the Challenges.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Oops, I knew there's be someone I'd offend. Angelo, please take this more as artifact of when I was most involved with the challenges (more than a year ago) than anything else. I got so busy with other things that I stopped paying that much attention to the Challenges.

Never! You couldn't offend me. I was only joking about that part anyway.

Hope to see you participating in the new contests!
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Well, you gotta love this! I especially love the idea that you guys are trying not to stagnate.

In that spirit, here is a question: Why have themes at all?
    One problem we face is that not everyone is a self motivate artist...yet. So the qualifying rounds have a broadly interpretable theme as well as a counterpoint theme. This will help inspire people with ideas. It starts to train people to think for themselves or gives people the freedom to continue to do so.

By the time the semifinals come around, everyone should be at least comfortable with coming up with an idea, and they are then set free to let their artistic juices take control of the photographs theme and content.

By the time the Grand Finale comes, there will be no stopping or checking the artistic flow of scores of motivated photographers. It will be an artistic smackdown of epic proportions.

But we shouldn't get to that destination cold turkey. One day maybe, there will be no need for predetermined themes, but for now we are making the transition into that mode of working a bit easier on ourselves.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    Now that's what I'm talking about. wings.gif
  • Options
    Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Wow! thanks guys. Im totally into this new format! woohooo!

looking forward to the 5th!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    LilleG
    LilleG wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea but I'm going to miss the current weekly challenges. They made this site interesting because there were both excellent and average images and ideas. I suspect that some of the current entrants will not even try. Is there a compelling reason for not continuing them as well, or is it just to encourage people to participate in the newer contest?

You can participate in our (usually) Weekly Assingments. No prizes and no voting, but sometimes it gets rather tough... Just an idea..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Wow! What an overhaul! Thanks for all the thought and planning that went into this, and for the generous prizes! My goodness! :wow
    I must admit, upon first reading I felt a bit intimidated by this new set-up. The old challenge format was fairly comfortable for me, but I AM excited about the idea of actually improving, so I really do hope to put some effort into this (she says with quaking hands!)

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You can participate in our (usually) Weekly Assingments. No prizes and no voting, but sometimes it gets rather tough... Just an idea..ne_nau.gif
    Nik, that's nice of you, but let me stress again: these contests will help you grow! Open to everyone, critique from fancy schmancy Artists, contrasting topics!

DO NOT be afraid to enter!!!

This will not work if everyone thinks "oh I'm not good enough..."!!! Where's your spirit!?!
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I must admit, upon first reading I felt a bit intimidated by this new set-up.
    Read it again, I'll wait. :D
    The old challenge format was fairly comfortable for me, but I AM excited about the idea of actually improving, so I really do hope to put some effort into this
    That's the spirit! clap.gif

Superficially, there's very little difference. You're still getting a topic, and working on a photo every two weeks. Sure there's a semifinal round and higher stakes, but that just makes it even better!
    Erik

• Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Wow! I was kinda thinking you guys would do something like this, but I don't think I ever actually believed you guys would do it.
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    Wow! I was kinda thinking you guys would do something like this, but I don't think I ever actually believed you guys would do it.
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

We really want EVERYONE to know this so that the word gets out, and competition is top-shelf :D
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    I'm filling out the calendar (yes we have a calendar :D) now with a recurring event, feel free to singup for reminders.

For future reference...

DGWBP = Dgrin World's Best Photographer thumb.gif
    Erik

This discussion has been closed.