Options

>>> Last Photographer Standing - Initial Discussion <<<

124»

Comments

• Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    So when you had the voting available on tap so to speak, you couldn't remember to sign in, but now that your ability to vote is limited you miss it and wish you had more. Interesting mwink.gif
    Heh, heh. I didn't say I was good at remembering, but at least it gave me a reason to try to regularly sign in. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'll visit less often.
    Familiarity breeds contempt, and nothing drives desire like scarcity.
    Or perhaps it might more accurately be a case of "out of sight, out of mind". :D

Shay, as long as you were kind enough to respond, I'll take the liberty to ask a follow-up question. I'd be curious as to your reasoning behind excluding members from the Qualifying Contest voting. I have a couple theories, but I'm genuinely interested your perspective.

Regards,
    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Shay, as long as you were kind enough to respond, I'll take the liberty to ask a follow-up question. I'd be curious as to your reasoning behind excluding members from the Qualifying Contest voting. I have a couple theories, but I'm genuinely interested your perspective.

We had a problem. Not enough people active and supporting the old challenge. Stagnation and disinterest were setting in. I keyed in on a few of the problems and attempted to correct them with the new contest. And one of those design elements was trying to suppress the "familiarity breeds contempt" problem. Now the voting is less frequent, but more important. When you do vote, it will be for something big. And you won't get tired of doing it either because it's not this constant background chore that disappears into the subconscience.

This contest throws the old challenge and it's expectations out the door. This is a whole new day, a whole new contest, and entirely new outcomes. And I think you will like the changes it brings to everything and everyone involved. thumb.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    We had a problem. Not enough people active and supporting the old challenge.
    I admire you (and Dgrin) taking an active step to correct a problem. Like the old saw goes: "one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results."

I'm not conviced that I'd come to the same conclusion about how to fix the problem though. Specifically, I'm not convinced that this will increase member participation. Time will tell of course, and I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Again, don't get me wrong. All in all, there is much more to like than dislike in the new format. I may be the only one, but I'm going to miss having a voice in the qualifying challenges.

In any event, I appreciate you explaining your rationale. Good luck. And happy judging.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    I admire you (and Dgrin) taking an active step to correct a problem. Like the old saw goes: "one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results."

I'm not conviced that I'd come to the same conclusion about how to fix the problem though. Specifically, I'm not convinced that this will increase member participation. Time will tell of course, and I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Again, don't get me wrong. All in all, there is much more to like than dislike in the new format. I may be the only one, but I'm going to miss having a voice in the qualifying challenges.

In any event, I appreciate you explaining your rationale. Good luck. And happy judging.

People resist change, even change for the better. So no hard feelings, some resistance is of course expected :D

We'll see you at the contest thumb.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Just a personal bump...
    padu wrote:
    Please please pleeeease :D[make a special website for the challenge with lots of nice features for the statistic addicts]

I'm a software engineer too, and I'm willing to help doing some code to get away from the thread format.

It would be very nice [to accept film entries]. Since I expect to be spending a good time underneath the dark cloth, merging the two things (the challenge and my new personal challenge of learning the view camera) would be excellent.

Reflecting on what you said about cheaters, it's true. I'd rather see fresh film photos where the exif was honestly "manufactured" (exposition data manually - handwritten - recorded) than digital photos with tampered exifs. Sometimes I forget exifs are nothing more than chunks of data attached to image files that could be easily manipulated.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    padu wrote:
    It would be very nice [to accept film entries]. Since I expect to be spending a good time underneath the dark cloth, merging the two things (the challenge and my new personal challenge of learning the view camera) would be excellent.
    Sorry for the long delay, we kicked around a number of ideas, but for now we are going to be sticking with a digital only policy until we get a good shakedown of the new contest. Who knows what the future holds, but for now, film is out. Sorry for the bad news.
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Wow. What a time to join the forum! Alrighty, I'm definitely going to pay attention to this contest!

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Wow. What a time to join the forum! Alrighty, I'm definitely going to pay attention to this contest!

John
    Brace yourself, it starts Monday.
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Any chance of a contest between the mods... that the rest of us get to vote on... might be interesting to have that going... maybe once a quarter or something.. :)
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    deeya wrote:
    Any chance of a contest between the mods... that the rest of us get to vote on... might be interesting to have that going... maybe once a quarter or something.. :)
    Andy does not want his arse kicked across the yard in public so i dont believe he will say yes to that.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Andy does not want his arse kicked across the yard in public so i dont believe he will say yes to that.
    Ha!
    Mark Twain wrote:
    Draw your sword and knight me, then I will throw down my gauntlet, to everyone who dares to speak disrespectfully of my king.

Quoted from here.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Reread the rules and reread your post. Great idea for a fresh spin.

I have one suggestion, not a change to the rules, just a change to explanation to make it clearer.

Shay had to explain to me that each round requires a fresh shot from the participants. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it seems to me that it's just not clear from your explanations. It changes things a lot. I was thinking it was like the Picture of the Year thing where the shots went through rounds.

The idea of head-to-head competition in the later rounds without themes makes this a whole different kettle of fish. I think you should make that more explicit.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    About those CSs
    I hope you guys won't fix on CS2 and award CS3 when it becomes availalble instead :-)mwink.gif
    Not that I'm interested :hide
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Shay had to explain to me that each round requires a fresh shot from the participants. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it seems to me that it's just not clear from your explanations. It changes things a lot. I was thinking it was like the Picture of the Year thing where the shots went through rounds.
    We've all taken turns editing it so many times with an emphasis on shorter/simpler, that this may have been watered down. I added a couple words, is this better:
    To be eligible, digital photos must be shot during the respective 2-week contest period. Entries must have exif embedded or appended...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    We've all taken turns editing it so many times with an emphasis on shorter/simpler, that this may have been watered down. I added a couple words, is this better:

It still requires LOGIC to conclude that the contests are independent. How about: "For each new round, qualifiers enter a new image, shot within the 2 week period of the contest."
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Just caught on to this from Andy's link in the new Flea Market.

Firstly, I think I need to get off my butt & enter. I used to participate in the FM challenges & they helped me stretch a lot, even thopugh I never got close to winning a single one. Time to get back into that groove & maybe get good enough to at least be an also-ran. So for all of us sitting on the sidelines: enter! Every participant wins in that you will be improving your skill as a photographer. thumb.gif

I *think* I get the rules (and the only level I'm likely to particiapte in is clear enough). First, a new digital shot taken within the 2-week period based on one of the two themes presented. From what I understand the subsequent rounds you're on your own for theme and must take a new shot; however I'm not totally clear on the timing there. Does it start once you get to that round or just the two weeks prior to the due date? Again I will probably never need to worry about it, but just for clarity...
This discussion has been closed.