Options

>>> Last Photographer Standing - Initial Discussion <<<

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I want to give a big tip 'o the hat to Shay Stephens, the mastermind behind our new contest. Shay has long been a big part of the success of this site as a mod, and his recent change of status to Artist in Residence is nothing short of fantastic. This, along with the Workshops with Marc Muench, and so much more that we have coming down the pike... it's all going to make this place better and better. Hang on, it's going to be a wild ride.

Great job, Shay!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Yay To Shay!
    DavidTO wrote:
    I want to give a big tip 'o the hat to Shay Stephens, the mastermind behind our new contest. Shay has long been a big part of the success of this site as a mod, and his recent change of status to Artist in Residence is nothing short of fantastic. This, along with the Workshops with Marc Muench, and so much more that we have coming down the pike... it's all going to make this place better and better. Hang on, it's going to be a wild ride.

Great job, Shay!

I'm all excited! Can't wait for March 5th:-) bowdown.gif
    (Also - I came to be the Last Judge of the Old Contest system, how cool is that mwink.gif :ivar rolleyes1.gif ;-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm all excited! Can't wait for March 5th:-) bowdown.gif
    (Also - I came to be the Last Judge of the Old Contest system, how cool is that mwink.gif :ivar rolleyes1.gif ;-)

you'll go down in history lol3.gif
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    rutt wrote:

In that spirit, here is a question: Why have themes at all? In order to make the strongest possible case for a no-theme format, I'll paraphrase Shay:
    If it isn't too late, I would like to comment on the theme rule. It's really really amatuer. Devising great themes is more than 1/3 of the job, folks!

If somebody devises some uber wowzer new subject that the world has never seen before, I don't want them feeling that it may not fly.

I wouldn't call shooting to a theme ameturish at all. To me, a photographer who can start with a theme and consitantly take a shot which knocks it out of the park is the sign of a true pro.

Without themes, the contest becomes "submit your best shot from the last two weeks" which I find less interesting. Without themes, many of the entrants would be encouraged to stick to their comfort zone rather than stretching their abilities.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Bump

100x20-digg-button.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I wouldn't call shooting to a theme ameturish at all. To me, a photographer who can start with a theme and consitantly take a shot which knocks it out of the park is the sign of a true pro.

Without themes, the contest becomes "submit your best shot from the last two weeks" which I find less interesting. Without themes, many of the entrants would be encouraged to stick to their comfort zone rather than stretching their abilities.

As I was saying, I was just trying to make a strong case and see how it would fly. What I really think is that the occasional theme-less contest is a breath of fresh air, as it does let everyone show off their very best within their own comfort zone. In the spirit of the new contests:

Open/Closed
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    MaxThompsonMaxThompson Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Bump

100x20-digg-button.gif
    Duggedmwink.gif
    Max

• Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Did you digg it? :D

I did, with one of these:

world-largest-digging-machine.jpg
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Two can play this game:-)
    rutt wrote:
    ... In the spirit of the new contests:

Open/Closed
    • Color/BW
    • Live/Dead
    • Pretty/Ugly
    • Fast/Slow
    • Strong/Weak
    • Far/Near
    • Water/Fire
    • Hot/Cold
    • Volatile/Timeless
    • Analog/Digital
    • Mac/PC mwink.gif
    Man, I can go on and on with these :-):D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Man, I can go on and on with these :-):D
    Except that open means (or can mean) not restricted in terms of theme.

That's my point. We should have one of these at least every once in a while (every year?)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    That's my point. We should have one of these at least every once in a while (every year?)
    Each semifinal (4) and the Grand Finale will be open theme. Only the qualifying rounds will have a preselected theme. So at least once a quarter there will be an open theme.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Even better
    Each semifinal (4) and the Grand Finale will be open theme. Only the qualifying rounds will have a preselected theme. So at least once a quarter there will be an open theme.

Reading is hard, and I thought only Grand Finale is open theme. headscratch.gif
    Anyway, it makes the whole thing even more challenging, I like that!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007

Oh, I see, said the blind man. I assumed that the shot that won in the qualifiers would be used in the semis and final. So the qualifiers may (have to?) submit new entries for the second and third rounds and those are open themed?

Cool. Now if I could only be a bride instead of a bridesmaid in one of these things, I could get to compete in an open-themed contest!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Oh, I see, said the blind man. I assumed that the shot that won in the qualifiers would be used in the semis and final. So the qualifiers may (have to?) submit new entries for the second and third rounds and those are open themed?

Cool. Now if I could only be a bride instead of a bridesmaid in one of these things, I could get to compete in an open-themed contest!

Every stage of the contest requires a fresh shot, taken during the contest period.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Every stage of the contest requires a fresh shot, taken during the contest period.

Yes, no resting on your laurels, as it were ;-)
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    This is the part I like the most
    Yes, no resting on your laurels, as it were ;-)
    Keeps it on your toes the whole year:-) clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Neato Keeno. Thanks guys for devising it, I'll definitely put it on my calendar!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Oh, and I really don't see any reason why dgrin moderators who are not in the employ of smugmug shouldn't be allowed to enter. Some of them are really tough competitors. I'd really love to see entries from 'Gus, Harry, Gubbs, Sid, &etc. The new format tends to remove them from the process. So why not just exclude all smugmug employees and judges?

--Chief Troublemaker
    Thanks rutt however cats & myself will continue doing what ever we want

.........except entering the comp :cry
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Wow - this is an unbelieveable marketing idea, Andy & Co.! Everyone should take note of this: if you want to get the word out, this is how you do it!

(Oh - and I'm looking forward to participating in the contest, also!)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    After further review the notion of "world's best" seems a bit over the top. :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    truth wrote:
    After further review the notion of "world's best" seems a bit over the top. :D:D:D

I think that's kind of the point. Tongue firmly planted in cheek. But also realize how much work the Grande Finalist will have put in. This contest runs a year, and requires multiple qualifiers.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think that's kind of the point. Tongue firmly planted in cheek. But also realize how much work the Grande Finalist will have put in. This contest runs a year, and requires multiple qualifiers.

Oh I know, I was just poking fun. I'm looking forward to watching this progress. It will only help to raise the level of the images here and dgrin's place in the online photo communities even higher. It's good stuff. thumb.gif
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    I've devoured the rules and all 7 pages of messages from this thread with great enthusiasm. I'm a great fan of contests, and I'm pretty excited to participate in this one.

Are you guys working on a different framework (web pages) for the contest itself? Since a while ago, I participate on the fujimugs (http://www.fujimugs.com) contests instead of here, and I don't even have a fuji camera. The only reason is because I don't like the "thread" format of dgrin's contests, and the webpage features fujimugs use for its contests are great.

I completely support the themed contests. From my experience on participating on the fujimugs contests, you're forced to think on production. Usually, you start with the photo in your mind, and then start planning on how to produce it. (take a look on my latest entry: here)

On a completely different subject, I'll ask something that I think I already have the answer. Besides digital, I'm starting to shoot film 4x5.... big no no? I see the problems with the lack of exif, and also that I'm on Dgrin, and not Fgrin.... but if I'm wrong I'll be happy to know it.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    padu wrote:
    I've devoured the rules and all 7 pages of messages from this thread with great enthusiasm. I'm a great fan of contests, and I'm pretty excited to participate in this one.
    glad to hear that thumb.gif
    Are you guys working on a different framework (web pages) for the contest itself? ... The only reason is because I don't like the "thread" format of dgrin's contests, and the webpage features fujimugs use for its contests are great.
    We will be sticking with threads for now. Keep in mind, we have a volunteer crew, creating online galleries isn't something we can automate in a clean manner. At least, not yet. I can tell you that the topic has definitely been discussed.
    On a completely different subject, I'll ask something that I think I already have the answer. Besides digital, I'm starting to shoot film 4x5.... big no no? I see the problems with the lack of exif...
    As you might guess, with more at stake, we'll have to be a bit more strict. However, for now, we are hoping that the "cheaters never win" mantra will apply for this competition.

We haven't talked specifically about film... maybe we should. I'll get back to everyone on this.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    glad to hear that thumb.gif

We will be sticking with threads for now. Keep in mind, we have a volunteer crew, creating online galleries isn't something we can automate in a clean manner. At least, not yet. I can tell you that the topic has definitely been discussed.

Please please pleeeease :D

I'm a software engineer too, and I'm willing to help doing some code to get away from the thread format.
    As you might guess, with more at stake, we'll have to be a bit more strict. However, for now, we are hoping that the "cheaters never win" mantra will apply for this competition.

We haven't talked specifically about film... maybe we should. I'll get back to everyone on this.

It would be very nice. Since I expect to be spending a good time underneath the dark cloth, merging the two things (the challenge and my new personal challenge of learning the view camera) would be excellent.

Reflecting on what you said about cheaters, it's true. I'd rather see fresh film photos where the exif was honestly "manufactured" (exposition data manually - handwritten - recorded) than digital photos with tampered exifs. Sometimes I forget exifs are nothing more than chunks of data attached to image files that could be easily manipulated.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    A voting suggestion...
    I am a casual photographer. Complete amateur in all senses of the word.

I have neither the time nor the talent to produce the wonderful shots I've seen in these challenges. Now that the kids are grown, virtually the only photography I do is while vacationing -- we love to travel. And perhaps only 1 in 100 of my shots could be worthy of being classified in the same ballpark (correction -- in the same time zone) as the artistic efforts of your challenge entries.

Nonetheless-- I view. I dream. I vote.

But I vote irregularly. Mainly because I forget to come to Dgrin and check out the challenges and I miss the voting period. The stakes are pretty high in this new format and I suspect you'd like to have more voters than fewer.

Since you have all the email addresses of the members, I'm wondering if you'd consider sending out a reminder email to Dgrin members when the voting period opens for each round/stage.

I imagine you might get some negative feedback from some members, but I know I'd certainly welcome a reminder to vote.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    We don't spam. We don't send out mass emails. We just won't do that, we don't like to be pests. :D

I am a casual photographer. Complete amateur in all senses of the word.

I have neither the time nor the talent to produce the wonderful shots I've seen in these challenges. Now that the kids are grown, virtually the only photography I do is while vacationing -- we love to travel. And perhaps only 1 in 100 of my shots could be worthy of being classified in the same ballpark (correction -- in the same time zone) as the artistic efforts of your challenge entries.

Nonetheless-- I view. I dream. I vote.

But I vote irregularly. Mainly because I forget to come to Dgrin and check out the challenges and I miss the voting period. The stakes are pretty high in this new format and I suspect you'd like to have more voters than fewer.

Since you have all the email addresses of the members, I'm wondering if you'd consider sending out a reminder email to Dgrin members when the voting period opens for each round/stage.

I imagine you might get some negative feedback from some members, but I know I'd certainly welcome a reminder to vote.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    We don't spam. We don't send out mass emails. We just won't do that, we don't like to be pests. :D
    But, we do have a calendar, which will send you a message reminder, but only if YOU sign up for it.

calendar:
    http://www.dgrin.com/calendar.php

I'll add the voting events when they get closer (remember, they'll only be 5 times a year when this happens with the new format nod.gif)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    We don't spam. We don't send out mass emails. We just won't do that, we don't like to be pests.
    Fair enough. And the response I expected. (Though as a member, I wouldn't consider an email from Dgrin to be spam.)
    DoctorIt wrote:
    But, we do have a calendar, which will send you a message reminder, but only if YOU sign up for it.
    Hmmm. I'll have to check it out, but based on the following I don't know if I'll bother.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'll add the voting events when they get closer (remember, they'll only be 5 times a year when this happens with the new format.)
    This puzzled me until I went back and re-read the rules, where it says that "The panel of judges for each contest may consist of Dgrin moderators, Artists-in-Residence, and specially appointed guest judges."

Now I'm disappointed in the new contest format. I won't get a chance to express my opinion via voting in the Qualifying Contest rounds. :(: Now I'll have one fewer reason to regularly visit Dgrin. Coming to vote was my main motivation, and now that will only happen 5 times a year.

Don't misunderstand. I think Dgrin has a lot to offer beyond the challenge threads. But for me, the primary motivation to login was to vote. Any other forum or thread visited after I voted was simply icing on the cake.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    But I vote irregularly. Mainly because I forget to come to Dgrin and check out the challenges and I miss the voting period.
    Now I'm disappointed in the new contest format. I won't get a chance to express my opinion via voting in the Qualifying Contest rounds.
    So when you had the voting available on tap so to speak, you couldn't remember to sign in, but now that your ability to vote is limited you miss it and wish you had more. Interesting mwink.gif

Familiarity breeds contempt, and nothing drives desire like scarcity.
This discussion has been closed.