Options

>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 10, 2008
    I guess the size are too big

How do you mean?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Would it be possible to put up a list of the themes for the contest starting in March ahead of time as a sticky at the top here somewhere? I'd like to participate, but I find I'd like to think about the theme and with only a few hours in which to take the photo (I work full time doing other things) it's difficult without the opportunity for some forethought.

Andy wrote:

LPS History
    (links for reference)

1 - Chilled or Steamy - entries, finalists, judges critique
    2 - Stately or Humble - entries, finalists, judges critique
    3 - Irregular or Picturesque - entries, finalists, judges critique
    4 - Artificial or Organic - entries, finalists, judges critique
    5 - Translucent or Silhouette - entries, finalists, judges critique
    SF1 - (open) - entries, finalists, judges critique
    6 - Curvy or Angular - entries, finalists, judges critique
    7 - Joy or Sorrow - entries, finalists, judges critique
    8 - Explosive or Sedate - entries, finalists, judges critique
    9 - Freedom or Oppression - entries, finalists, judges critique
    10 - Surf or Turf - entries, finalists, judges critique
    SF2 - (open) - entries, finalists, judges critique
    11 - Man or Machine - entries, finalists, judges critique
    12 - Sin or Virtue - entries, finalists, judges critique
    13 - Light or Shadow - entries, finalists, judges critique
    14 - Craggy or Smooth - entries, finalists, judges critique
    15 - Colorful or Monochromatic - entries, finalists, judges critique
    SF3 - (open) - entries, finalists, judges critique
    16 - Flash or Ambient - entries, finalists, judges critique
    17 - Growth or Decay - entries, finalists, judges critique
    18 - Seconds or Milliseconds - entries, finalists, judges critique
    19 - Thoughts or Actions - entries, finalists, critique
    20 - Face or Hands - entries, finalists, critique
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2008
    synature wrote:
    Would it be possible to put up a list of the themes for the contest starting in March ahead of time as a sticky at the top here somewhere?
    No, it most certainly wouldn't. :D

Part of the LPS idea is thinking on your toes. We don't post the themes until the start of the given round. And also, maybe you're missing another rule - fresh shots. Even if you had the theme months in advance, you cannot execute on it until that round's two week timeframe, submitted shots must be taken during the two week period of the contest round.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    No, it most certainly wouldn't. :D

Part of the LPS idea is thinking on your toes. We don't post the themes until the start of the given round. And also, maybe you're missing another rule - fresh shots. Even if you had the theme months in advance, you cannot execute on it until that round's two week timeframe, submitted shots must be taken during the two week period of the contest round.

That rule is precisely why I made my request: I'm busy enough as it is, but if I've got some sort of clue I might be able to participate by having it in mind a bit before the kick off. With only two weeks per round, I generally only will have one weekend to think about doing something that fits with the theme.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    synature wrote:
    That rule is precisely why I made my request: I'm busy enough as it is, but if I've got some sort of clue I might be able to participate by having it in mind a bit before the kick off. With only two weeks per round, I generally only will have one weekend to think about doing something that fits with the theme.

I spend the first week after the announcement ,formulating an idea or ideas depending on how solid my first idea is. Then on the first weekend after the announcement it is my goal to execute the idea and post it so that I can absorb the shot and see if it warrants a re-shoot or a new idea all together. This method puts less pressure on me because then I have another whole week to think about maybe a better idea.

Sometimes I have the time (after work) to execute an idea sooner than the first weekend and other times I am stuck until the last weekend before the deadline. No matter how it plays out this method works for me, I hope it helps motivate you to give it a try in the coming new version of LPS 2.0
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    synature wrote:
    That rule is precisely why I made my request: I'm busy enough as it is
    Sorry mate, it's a game. If you just don't have time to do it, how is it fun anyway?

But to be fair, we have put thought into this. Say we give you all the themes a year ahead of time. Some of them will obviously be more "difficult" - in the LPS format, those rounds could potentially get less participation because a contest round only serves to qualify you for a final. No need to stretch myself this round on this impossibly abstract theme when next week the theme is "pretty sunsets"...

Nope, it's a competition to find the best of the best, and there must be an element of surprise, and subsequent difficulty to it. We've said it many times, LPS is not your usual contest, it's the real-deal, no-holds barred, no hand-holding.

Step up. deal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Question: what are the rules behind using stock to composite an original photograph. for example: say I shoot a car in a green screen and then go out and shoot a background. I then decide I want snow, so I find an old photograph with snowflakes and use those (or someone else's stock with permission). Would the snowflakes disqualify the photo? or take the same photo minus the snoflakes, but then I decide I want some sort of texture and, again, use some stock (old or from someone else) to give the photo some texture. what then?
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Question: what are the rules behind using stock to composite an original photograph. for example: say I shoot a car in a green screen and then go out and shoot a background. I then decide I want snow, so I find an old photograph with snowflakes and use those (or someone else's stock with permission). Would the snowflakes disqualify the photo? or take the same photo minus the snoflakes, but then I decide I want some sort of texture and, again, use some stock (old or from someone else) to give the photo some texture. what then?

For my own entries, I am really strict about this. Every pixel must be shot by me during the contest window. More than that, I think it is worth being careful about photos which appear in the field of view when the shot is taken. I am of the mind that if I take a picture including someone else's work as a significant element, the result isn't really all mine.

However, I am not an official arbiter, so take that all with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Oh boy...

For the sake of argument, I'll say what I have said in the past about composites: the vast majority of the photo must be fresh.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    lol thanks for the clarification. I just hadn't seen anything on it and I know a lot of pros use the technique.

thanks fellas
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    While I completely understand the temptation to do so, from my point of view, using ANY pixels shot outside the allotted time frame would be contrary to the spirit of the contest ... although it's apparently minimally allowed within a strict interpretation of the rules? ... and on the separate issue of using a portion of someone else' stock image, even a small portion, acckkk!!! ...

I won't even try to define "vast majority," and I'm not sure Erik answered the question of using someone elses' stock.

Think about it, even a portion of an image well below a reasonable interpretation of "vast majority," could make an average image a great one. Big 'ol can of worms. I have composited one image I can think of in the contest ... I added a moon into the image which was shot at the same time from just a few degrees higher in the sky ....

Hope these issues are clarified in the future with an eye toward simplicity and transparency ... i.e., only images you shot yourself within the allotted contest period ... The contest is what YOU can do within a two week period.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    I won't even try to define "vast majority," and I'm not sure Erik answered the question of using someone elses' stock.
    Yeah, you got me there. To be honest, this was the type of thing we really hoped would not happen.

I would hope it goes without saying that all material should original.

So let's just stick to that: "photos must be fresh and original" - luckily enough, that's about exactly the wording in the rules! :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Laughing.gif, sorry man ... well the first year is when you get all the little minor bugs worked out :))
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Perfect, that's a pretty important clarification to make
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Another rules question
    Are there any rules on using photos that have already won awards?

For example - I'm currently taking photos for SF4 and also for a local camera club contest. If the camera club contest winner(s) were announced before SF4 entry was closed, would I be able to use a photo I submitted to that contest if it won?

headscratch.gif

Not sure if I made that example very clear, I hope I did. I was just thinking of using the camera club contest similarly as the "what do you think/is this worthy" threads for SF4 entries.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I don't think there are any rules governing it. I would imagine how and why you use the photo outside the contest would have no bearing on the eligibility of the photo, as long as you follow the rest of the rules.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Are there any rules on using photos that have already won awards?

For example - I'm currently taking photos for SF4 and also for a local camera club contest. If the camera club contest winner(s) were announced before SF4 entry was closed, would I be able to use a photo I submitted to that contest if it won?

headscratch.gif

Not sure if I made that example very clear, I hope I did. I was just thinking of using the camera club contest similarly as the "what do you think/is this worthy" threads for SF4 entries.
    I understand your example, easy. :D

Answer: no worries. As far as Dgrin is concerned, we don't use or get any rights to your photo, so as long as it's "fresh and original" it is fair game for LPS.
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I understand your example, easy. :D

Answer: no worries. As far as Dgrin is concerned, we don't use or get any rights to your photo, so as long as it's "fresh and original" it is fair game for LPS.
    nod.gif

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I love this contest :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Next LPS suggestion/request...
    Have the ending time be midnight Pacific time... (or even 11:59 PM to reduce some of the "which day is it" complaints).

I realized early on I didn't have the time to seriously compete, but most of my available time is on weekends. The east coasters get all the way to midnight on Sunday, and I only had until 9:00 PM. When you have children, believe me, it makes a difference. mwink.gif

Just a suggestion...
    Chris
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Have the ending time be midnight Pacific time... (or even 11:59 PM to reduce some of the "which day is it" complaints).

I realized early on I didn't have the time to seriously compete, but most of my available time is on weekends. The east coasters get all the way to midnight on Sunday, and I only had until 9:00 PM. When you have children, believe me, it makes a difference. mwink.gif

Just a suggestion...

I like this suggestion too.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:

I realized early on I didn't have the time to seriously compete, but most of my available time is on weekends. The east coasters get all the way to midnight on Sunday, and I only had until 9:00 PM. When you have children, believe me, it makes a difference.

Just a suggestion...
    Yeah, but when we the round closes at 9pm for you, and the next topic is introduced, chances are good you are still awake and can start work right away while most east coasters are snoozing away. So by my count you actually 3+8=11 hours headstart on the east!
    :D

Anyway, the point is, it's a two week period (so no matter how you time it, EVERYONE gets one full weekend in between) and everyone gets the same amount of total time. As an international competition, the closing time will never perfectly suit everyone, so it's really just a random marker.

Trust me, at this point, I'm not a huge fan of the time either. I have to take a fast lunch break at noon, so I can spare some time and take a bit of an afternoon break at 3pm (on monday) to close the challenges from work.

What's the saying... six and one half dozen... ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    synature wrote:

maybe they can also let you know what type of subjects the judges are partial too?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What's the saying... six and one half dozen... ne_nau.gif

I guess I believe that the start time is fairly inconsequential in a two-week period, but the ending time is crucial.

The international competitors are so out of whack time-wise, it shouldn't matter that much to them, anyway. But we can always ask...

I just think it would reduce some confusion and help us left-coasters out a bit. Yes, it's true we could start the next one early... but I tend to only be thinking for those first few hours anyway, not shooting or editing. Thinking I can do anywhere...

So, if it was three hours later, that would be 6 pm for you in Oz. Perfect! mwink.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    The international competitors are so out of whack time-wise, it shouldn't matter that much to them, anyway. But we can always ask...
    There's good support for your argument: call everyone who doesn't live on the US west-coast inconsequential. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    There's good support for your argument: call everyone who doesn't live on the US west-coast inconsequential. lol3.gif
    ne_nau.gif I think changing the ending time to be three hours later would help everyone, not just the west-coasters... I said the start time was inconsequential.

In the UK zone, start/end would be at 8AM instead of 5AM... in Aussie-land, start/end would be at 6PM instead of 3PM. Win-win all around IMHO. :D

Edit: Oops, I guess the east coasters might be "punished" because they could stay up until 3AM finishing up...
    Edit: Pakistan is UTC+5, So it would be 3PM instead of 10AM for Awais...
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    We'll see, thanks for the input, Chris.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Lps
    So ... this is just a suggestion humbly posed in good faith and the spirit of a free exchange of ideas with no soapbox or ego involved (did i cover enough bases here, lol) ... take it or leave it as you will.

I was reading through another thread with some spirited discussion regarding judging ... sigh ... and despite some of the hyperbole I think there are some valid points lurking under the surface regarding this contest. Unfortunately, they failed to ask, or answer, the next question (unless i missed it) ... what is the source of this frustration (beyond the personal), how can it be improved, what do you propose?

While I have no idea and not enough knowledge of the workings of dgrin or smugmug to address how feasible this would be ... here goes.

Assemble a panel of permanent judges who are recognized professionals or otherwise outstanding photographers from across a spectrum of photographic disciplines ... more would in fact be better ... photographers who are universally respected in their field ... wedding, landscape, macro, commercial, street, studio, etc. There are a whole host of these lurking on both dgrin and smugmug ... i'm sure Andy knows better than anyone. The "artisits in residence" would be a good starting point (sorry Marc). And then, perhaps also include one dgrin community member at large, chosen well ahead of time. Not sure what the quid pro quo would be here but there must be something.

This would:
    a. provide more consistency on judging response time;
    b. cut down on work of volunteer moderators;
    c. provide more consistent judging in general;
    d. potentially provide participants with true critiques from truly outstanding photographers ... an invaluable benefit;
    e. cut down on frustrations.

Other policies:

Make a decision on how much feedback is feasible and stick to it, i.e. feedback on all photos, none, only those who win. Critiques every two weeks is a formidable task and perhaps too much to ask of everyone ... this needs to be well thought out then implemented without exception.

Set a more realistic time on announcement of results, and stick to it.

In short, take the lessons learned from the first LPS and, while understanding the limitations of volunteer staff time, develop a more standardized system with more consistent results ... in other words, set up a system that is easier to manage and more self sustaining ... and not once did I use the word "fair" here .... if there is consistency and clear standards, "fair" becomes somewhat irrelevant, it's just what it is ... play, or don't ... "fair" only becomes a real issue with inconsistent application of policies.

Technical suggestion:

a. Again, can't speak to feasiblity but ... create a private gallery AND forum for judges only to freely discuss entries, debate merits, if they so choose every two weeks.

b. Provide better credits for photographers in winners gallery (sorry Erik, you and I have had this debate before and it was shut down pretty quickly, had to throw it in ... ;-)

c. Better promote the contest itself, and frankly use it as a marketing tool for smugmug/dgrin (okay may have to be some separation of entities here, don't know) ... provide incentive for everyone involved.

d. Better promote and solicit SPONSORS for the contest.

e. Make a bigger investment in LPS beyond just prizes (and hats off on this but I think it proves this by itself is not enough to generate big buzz).

Summary: The prizes in Last Photogrpaher Standing are SUBSTANTIAL in the context of such contests. It's surprising this has not gained more attention and participation ... ask the question, "why is this?" Raise the whole game up a notch, think bigger, use it to the advantage of all the sponsors and contestants. A higher profile contest is of greater benefit to everyone involved, especially the participants who excel.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I think the basic contest concept is great and the first year implementation quite good (and I am very, very grateful) ... perhaps with just a bit of tweaking, it can be better. There is already much to clap about and I'm sure some folks may feel a bit beat up after all the work that has gone into it (it really is appreciated!) ... and I can't speak to the underlying business model of completely volunteer mods ... but I really believe that with just a few changes and a bit more investment ... this could become a legendary contest.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    So ... this is just a suggestion
    You're a keen observer. It actually makes me feel good you said what you did, because, honestly, just about all the points you said we "should" do, we in fact tried to do, or at the very least discussed at or before the beginning. It's a big ask. Really big. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You're a keen observer. It actually makes me feel good you said what you did, because, honestly, just about all the points you said we "should" do, we in fact tried to do, or at the very least discussed at or before the beginning. It's a big ask. Really big. nod.gif

I agree with everything that Tom points out, but I also understand it being a lot to ask for too.

I think the reason why this debate keeps coming up and is so important to a lot of folks is that we all know how much this contest means to us and what a great thing it is.

So, with that being said and with what Tom wrote, I just wanted to throw something out there... As this is a great contest and it seems to have so much potential, is there anyway to get sponsors or something like that in order to pay for the judges time? I can only imagine how much of a burden all of this has been on Shay and anyone willing to fill his shoes. The critiquing side must be very time consuming and draining and to feel like you're always being questioned or judged for your opinions must be tiring and soul destroying - and then to turn around and ask yourself "why am I doing this"? There may be implications for judges being paid that I have overlooked, but as I said, I just wanted to throw it out there.
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Besides my one unserious suggestion, which would be to ban photos with kids mwink.gif, I think the submission deadline ought to be extended to Monday.

Given that, due to job concerns, I can often only shoot over the weekend, there have been times when I have had, like 3 hours to work on a shot before the midnight deadline. I imagine it is worse for the east coasters, and that many are in my situation.

The other issues I have had with the contest are unworkable, as they are aesthetic differences with judges, and these will always exist as long as judgements are made.

I would, however, like to see two concurrently running "contests." The LPS is a fine thing, but it has serious drawbacks. For one, the fact that there are cash and prizes brings out a lot of folks who enter crap, just to enter. The whole series of Semi-finals and eventually finals means weeks without the hoi polloi being able to participate. I like a lot about the LPS, and I like a lot about the old challenges, and these two formats have advantages that are irreconcilable. Why not have a weekly "challenge" that is unrelated to LPS? I think it would be nice to have the "photo of the year" drawn by popular vote from each weekly challenge winner, perhaps.
    Cave ab homine unius libri