Options

>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but I thought I'd ask about the decision not to offer prices to the 2nd and 3rd place winners in the finals.... At first I thought "winner takes all!", but then I realized that all the SF had prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd.... So it stands to reason that you'd expect that for the finals, too.

Anyway, not bitching so much as curious!

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Just wondering if the same LPS diagram / flowchart will be used for the next comp, since a 90deg rotation (with mods) would allow all of the stages to be placed along a horizontal timeline ... which is arguably 'more standard'?

Just a thought :)

pp
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 15, 2008
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but I thought I'd ask about the decision not to offer prices to the 2nd and 3rd place winners in the finals.... At first I thought "winner takes all!", but then I realized that all the SF had prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd.... So it stands to reason that you'd expect that for the finals, too.

Anyway, not bitching so much as curious!

Thanks! :D
    Well, exactly. It's not called LAST photographer (singular) for nothing. We've (well, not so much Shay anymore) said it many times - this was supposed to be a knockdown, drag out, reality show of a competition. The end gives us one winner. In reality, there's no second or third consolation prize for that big contract.

And thanks for pointing out that everyone competing in the final round has already won something in the SF's. (see how soft we are? you got your consolation prizes anyway!)
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Just wondering if the same LPS diagram / flowchart will be used for the next comp, since a 90deg rotation (with mods) would allow all of the stages to be placed along a horizontal timeline ... which is arguably 'more standard'?

Just a thought :)

pp
    you mean just the diagram or the actual organization?

If you know how to turn time 90 degrees, please let me know, that could be really handy with the 15 hour days I've been pulling lately!
    lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well, exactly. It's not called LAST photographer (singular) for nothing. We've (well, not so much Shay anymore) said it many times - this was supposed to be a knockdown, drag out, reality show of a competition. The end gives us one winner. In reality, there's no second or third consolation prize for that big contract.

And thanks for pointing out that everyone competing in the final round has already won something in the SF's. (see how soft we are? you got your consolation prizes anyway!)
    :D

Big softies all around, aren't you?mwink.gif

Thanks for the explanation....:D
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    << you mean just the diagram or the actual organization? >>

Just the diagram / graphics.
    After reading some of the posts asking for clarification I thought a horiz format might be worth considering - that's all :)

Very quick FH sketch (late this side of pond) ... as we all know about pix / 1k words.

<< If you know how to turn time 90 degrees, please let me know, that could be really handy with the 15 hour days I've been pulling lately! >>

90'd be no good in my case ... have to be 180.

pp
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Very quick FH sketch (late this side of pond) ... as we all know about pix / 1k words.

Oh, I like the addition of the crown! Can we have a crown as part of the grand prize in the next LPS? :D
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Oh, I like the addition of the crown! Can we have a crown as part of the grand prize in the next LPS? :D
    Sure, I'll get right to work on right to work on that... where's that box of tinfoil...
    Erik

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Why does all that chart look like we are all bowing to the person with the crown? deal.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sure, I'll get right to work on right to work on that... where's that box of tinfoil...

Don't forget the sparkles!!!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    rddphotosrddphotos Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    We should separate photographers with photoshoppers for 08 LPS.

With the exception of a HDR image's. I would like to see a rule for 08 LPS that that only a single shoot taken can be entered (no morphing images together) and nothing can be added to the photo, but you can take stuff out (ie Powerlines, wrinkles, cars, etc...).

It would be great to see people get out and find the shoot and not make it.

maybe setup a separate contest entitled "Last Photomorpher Standing"
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:
    ...We should separate photographers with photoshoppers for 08 LPS. With the exception of a HDR image's. I would like to see a rule for 08 LPS that that only a single shoot taken can be entered (no morphing images together) and nothing can be added to the photo, but you can take stuff out (ie Powerlines, wrinkles, cars, etc...)....

Sorry, man, but it's not possible to be half-pregnant.ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, man, but it's not possible to be half-pregnant.ne_nau.gif
    I once ate a 1kg (2.2 lb) block of cadburys chocolate in 2 sittings (with a witness)....that was pretty close to the mark.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:
    With the exception of a HDR image's. I would like to see a rule for 08 LPS that that only a single shoot taken can be entered (no morphing images together) and nothing can be added to the photo, but you can take stuff out (ie Powerlines, wrinkles, cars, etc...).

If the only techniques you allow are those used by landscape shooters, then the competition will become, by default, a landscape photography competition. There is nothing wrong with a landscape competition, but it should be made clear up front what it is about and named appropriately.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Having managed the image production of 6 national sport action magazine publications. Morphing and masking images together is as much an art form as taking the photo itself. The amount of time taken to mask a few images together and doing it right can take many hours. I recall training an intern for masking images for almost 4 hours per day for 2 weeks before I even let him work on an image for the magazine's.

also, I work with a few people in the movie industry whom help produce the one sheets (movie posters), they live and breath this stuff. Would you want to compete against the person that made the Spiderman posters.

There are many types of photos beside landscape, I enjoy shooting people and sporting events as well.

LiquidAir wrote:
    If the only techniques you allow are those used by landscape shooters, then the competition will become, by default, a landscape photography competition. There is nothing wrong with a landscape competition, but it should be made clear up front what it is about and named appropriately.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Please, please, lets not turn this general comments/suggestion thread into YET ANOTHER discussion of digital manipulation techniques and whether/not/how they are acceptable in the LPS competition.

thanks,
    Erik

• Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Just putting my own 2 cents here on this matter. I can say for myself that this week has been a real eye opening experince as far as this contest goes. I had several ideas that I wanted to do which included photoshop and multiple images and children and dice and women squirting each other with pink paint. I was all set to accomplish my goals and then I saw Shatch's entry and I'm sure the whining was heard round the world not only by myself but to all of those out there looking to win this contest. SO time to get the kids and the girls and the paint and the dice and really make my picture rock.

The girls were ready, pink paint loaded into there super soakers and then came Greensquared's image, Stepping Through Time. Once again the shout that was heard round the world by many echoed loudly. After viewing this the girls bowed gracefully out of the picture and I was left to do my original idea which was titled

LPS

Last person shooting which was to be a game of dice played by school kids at recess. It was inspired by this contest because lets face it it really is a crapshoot when it comes to deciding the winner of it. A great idea and I was all set to do it but then came the School Outing Image by Liquid Air. No shouting was heard, no whining was done just a simple realization on my part that this was no longer what I had envisioned this to be.

And then it became clear. There really was no competing with these three images, my photoshop skills (while self taught and I consider myself pretty good) were not on the same field as thoses images mentioned and I should not try to be. So I decided to enter a photograph into the finals. A simple photograph I captured yesterday. No magic, no props, nothing but me, my camera, and a jet skier on the water. A little adjustment correction and sharpening and voila a photograph.

Somewhere along the line the whole photograph digital art image process has gotten lost for me. This is not meant to start ANOTHER ONE of those threads. It's just my own personal observations and feelings for me.

I found myself yesterday while out and about with my camera. I was so caught up in creating something out of nothing on my computer that I had forgotten how much fun it was to be out capturing images like the one I did and meeting new and interesting people. Because of that I have already won.

On a side note: The girls and paint are on hold and a raincheck was granted. Should be interesting to see when it finally happens. It has been fun.

Joe

LiquidAir wrote:
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:
    Having managed the image production of 6 national sport action magazine publications. Morphing and masking images together is as much an art form as taking the photo itself. The amount of time taken to mask a few images together and doing it right can take many hours. I recall training an intern for masking images for almost 4 hours per day for 2 weeks before I even let him work on an image for the magazine's.

There are many types of photos beside landscape, I enjoy shooting people and sporting events as well.

My comment wasn't about what you like to shoot, but rather the set of Photoshop techiniques you listed. HDR is a compositing technique which can only be used on subjects which don't move. By setting up rules like that you are essentially limiting advanced use of Photoshop to landscape and architecture shooters which will naturally bias the types of entries the competition gets.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Joe it's a great shoot, and would easily hold it's own in any Watercraft sport magazine.

I would love to spend time in florida and capture the big race boats.
    imax wrote:
    Just putting my own 2 cents here on this matter.

Joe
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Campaigning
    ok - here's a quote from DoctorIt

"As stated in the rules, you have the next 72 hours to decide! And tell your friends all around DGrin and the web in general, the more votes, the better!"

My interpretation of that is campaigning for votes from friends and family that have never visited dgrin is OK ? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I posted a link to the competition on another board I visit that is not Photog related. Telling people about the challenge and to come help vote. I think it is a great opportunity to get more people to visit the site and learn.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:

"As stated in the rules, you have the next 72 hours to decide! And tell your friends all around DGrin and the web in general, the more votes, the better!"

My interpretation of that is campaigning for votes from friends and family that have never visited dgrin is OK ? ne_nau.gif

My opinion is that requesting folks to vote is fine, requesting them to come over here to vote's for one's own entry is tacky (I would have used another adjective but this is a PG site) at best.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    My opinion is that requesting folks to vote is fine, requesting them to come over here to vote's for one's own entry is tacky (I would have used another adjective but this is a PG site) at best.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Personally, I do not want to do any campaigning, and would of prefered to see the voting open to dgrin members that have participated on the site or seen the votes to come from only members that entered during the open round.

But we have to accept the rules that we're created at the beginning and must be followed since they cannot be changed midway. deal.gif
    Harryb wrote:
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:
    Personally, I do not want to do any campaigning, and would of prefered to see the voting open to dgrin members that have participated on the site or seen the votes to come from only members that entered during the open round.

But we have to accept the rules that we're created at the beginning and must be followed since they cannot be changed midway. deal.gif

I'm not talkimg about changing the rules. Doc said to "And tell your friends all around DGrin and the web in general, the more votes, the better!" There's nothing in there about campaigning for folks to vote for one particular entry.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Hey Harry, Long time no see, I guess I should get out more........

So I guess I should take my ad off of Craigslist and I also suppose that I should request that all the people I sent e-mails to and the ones they sent out on my behalf stop doing so and stop voting for my entry then.

Oh wait, it looks like they never started. Looks like I got them here and they voted for another photograph, swine. :D

But in all seriousness, asking people to come on over and vote after it's all said and done and not throwing a plug in for your own photograph is kinda of like asking someone over to eat and then not feeding therm. Ain't gonna happen......

Joe

Harryb wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    imax wrote:
    But in all seriousness, asking people to come on over and vote after it's all said and done and not throwing a plug in for your own photograph is kinda of like asking someone over to eat and then not feeding therm. Ain't gonna happen......

Joe
    I think you folks are missing the point... LPS is a photo competition, and its great that many of you have grown as a result of it. But, ah, at the core, it is a way to attract attention to this fantastic site that we call DGrin! No, seriously.

Not feeding them? Giving them 27 amazing photos to look at and to choose from isn't feeding them?

This is where I get to play bad cop: don't be so stuck on yourselves. Are you so sure that your friends will think your photo is the best once they see the entire collection? Voting is private after all...
    deal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Here things are different the moment i told my bro or friends that there is voting going on without even looking at any photo they will vote for mine no matter how crappy is the photo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    rddphotos wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

This is how rumors are started.

How is publicizing a poll for a HUGE contest the same as "campaigning" for people to vote for you? You've misinterpreted.

Again, I think everyone forgot that in the last voting round (SF4) we only had 150 voters. That's about as many people as we have just in this little contest forum. Wouldn't you all feel better if there were 800 votes deciding the big winner? Spread across all the various tastes of dgrin and online photography in general?
    Erik

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

Again, I think everyone forgot that in the last voting round (SF4) we only had 150 voters. That's about as many people as we have just in this little contest forum. Wouldn't you all feel better if there were 800 votes deciding the big winner? Spread across all the various tastes of dgrin and online photography in general?

I would! Even though I don't have any photos in the voting contest, I think that it would turn out better (fairer?) if there were 800 or more votes vs 150 - for sure.

clap.gif
    ~ Lisa