New Sigma - WOW

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 8, 2007
    Whoa, BABY!! I'll be needing that for surfing pics. :ivar But if it's not IS, I'm out.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Whoa, BABY!! I'll be needing that for surfing pics. :ivar But if it's not IS, I'm out.

IS.....by the time you get a tri pod under that thing IS won't be needed :D, unless of course you shoot canon:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    IS.....by the time you get a tri pod under that thing IS won't be needed :D, unless of course you shoot canon:D

That's right, it already is IS for you KM/Sony folks! Sweet!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    That's right, it already is IS for you KM/Sony folks! Sweet!

That was one of the reasons for me to purchase my 7D's instead of c or n....I did not want the added cost of an IS or VR lens....however the more I shoot ...the more I shoot tripoded...so the AS is turned off....getting bqack to the way I shot with 2 1/4 format.....

But stillwith the size of t-pod that thing will take .....You aint gonna need no stinking IS,VR OR AS........:D

Would like to see it sitting next to the Siggy 300 - 800.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    It is kind of sad when the body just kind of dangles off the end as an after thought.

BTW, after 10+ pages at FM (yep, we're lagging here at only 4 pages) the leading nicknames are SigZilla and PigMa. :D
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    BTW, after 10+ pages at FM (yep, we're lagging here at only 4 pages) the leading nicknames are SigZilla and PigMa. :D

Was thinking Sigzooka was more accurate....
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    "The drums rolled louder. Fires leapt up. Great engines crawled across the field; and in their midst was a huge telephoto lens, great as a forest tree a hundred feet in length, swinging on mighty chains. Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor, and its hideous head, founded of apochromatic glass, was shaped in the likeness of a ravening lightbucket; on it a handy LCD display lay. Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old. Great beasts drew it, orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to weild it."

Apologies to the unfamiliar, this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pictures of this thing. lol3.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Does it come with a weight lifting belt ???rolleyes1.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

And you will be req ronnie coleman to carry it there for you mate.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    So when is Andy picking up his copy :giggle
    Believe it or not, it's even bigger in person. The thing is huge. No, it's ginormous.
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    :rutt My guess Sigma 8,000.00 to 12,000.00. Nikon and Cannon version 12,000.00 to 15,000.00. Or more. Who's got rentals?headscratch.gif
    and I want macro!
    xtnomad :wink
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Lol,
    "Camera shown sold separately"
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    How freaking huge is that front element glass gonna be? Could you possibly imagine the lens hood that comes with it? Good lord!

My first thought is, this caters to who exactly? Also, who the heck would possibly want to travel with such a monstrosity? As a surf photographer, I already am burdened w/ my 400 2.8L on trips...

I think I'd rather try to travel around with the Canon 1200mm 5.6 ROFL!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    How freaking huge is that front element glass gonna be? Could you possibly imagine the lens hood that comes with it? Good lord!

My first thought is, this caters to who exactly? Also, who the heck would possibly want to travel with such a monstrosity? As a surf photographer, I already am burdened w/ my 400 2.8L on trips...

I think I'd rather try to travel around with the Canon 1200mm 5.6 ROFL!

Maybe concert shooters? Or cloudy day wildlife? I don't know, but it's pretty freaking sweet!!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    So when is Andy picking up his copy :giggle
    When Andy travels, he borrows...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    "a circular polarizing filter can be used with its ingenious rotation mechanism."
    what is that like a 300mm thread size? or more? how would you even zoom, you'd need 2 hands.

are bird photographers really this rich? rolleyes1.gif

edit: actually, this reminds me of attaching my 20d to a 10" Meade telescope. Now I get it. It's an astro lens without a tracking device...
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 10, 2007
    There are days I wish my 500 was 2-something. Mostly on early mornings.
    But then I think about that DOF thingy...at f/2.8, your focus better be spot
    on.
    edited March 10, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    When Andy travels, he borrows...
    Ahhh friends with long glass thumb.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    It was an interesting read to find out the new submarine-sized lens ships with a 2x telextender making it a 400-1000 5.6 lens. Yikes x 2 !
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    HS!!!

I'd hafta sell everything I own to afford that!

NO OS??

Man you'd hafta have it for that monster.
    Also a tripod made outta steel.

Can't believe the size of the thing.......looks like it could fir heat seeking missles or mortar rounds.
    My 80-400mm is like 2lbs wonder what that weighs.....10lbs?
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Would this be a good walk-around-lens for me?

How about for portraits & weddings? I need a good portrait & wedding lens.

eek7.gifeek7.gifrolleyes1.gif11doh.gif:D
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Two Questions
    mwink.gif When is Andy putting his up for salewings.gif , and why does this not say 'NASA' or on the side? I mean they are looking for a Hubble replacement aren't they?rolleyes1.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    My 80-400mm is like 2lbs wonder what that weighs.....10lbs?

I bet it is close to 20+ pounds, Graphy, and that is without a tripod or a gimballed mount. The tripod and head would add more than 10 pounds as well. A pro camera is about another three pounds.

Not a very portable combination.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Believe it or not, it's even bigger in person. The thing is huge. No, it's ginormous.

No kidding.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I bet it is close to 20+ pounds, Graphy, and that is without a tripod or a gimballed mount. The tripod and head would add more than 10 pounds as well. A pro camera is about another three pounds.

Not a very portable combination.

Did you see the photo of it that dpreview posted? :yikes I am thinking it will be well in excess of 20 lbs, maybe 20 kilos. Time to start lifting weights professionally.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    HoLY smokes! Great for Portraits!(a mile away)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    No kidding.

Did you see the photo of it that dpreview posted? :yikes I am thinking it will be well in excess of 20 lbs, maybe 20 kilos. Time to start lifting weights professionally.

You may be right, Patch.

For starters, Sigma's 300-800f5.6 weighs 13 pounds without a lens plate.

The diameter of the front optic of the new 200-500 f2.8 calculates at about 500/x= 2.8 --> x= 21.7 cm in diameter.

A 300mm Canon f2.8 IS L (300/x=2.8 x=10.7 cm) has a front element 10.7cm in diameter.( This calculation matches precisely what I measure on my 300 f2.8 IS L )

The diameter of the 300 f2.8 optic at 10.7 cm is about 1/2 the calculated diameter of the 200-500 front element. But weight will go up by a factor of about four, since the diameter is twice as big, the surface area will quadruple . The Canon 300 f2.8 IS L weighs 6 pounds.

That suggests the Sigma 200-500f2.8 may weigh nearly 24 pounds.

Hopefully the price does not rise at the same ratio as other teles:D :D

• wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Is there going to be a contest for guessing the initial list price? I guess $7,500.

Will
    Regards

Will
    My guess is higher than that, just based on the mass of glass involved.

The Sigma 300-800f5.6 is listed for $6999.00 on B&H, and it is 2 whole fstops slower glass.

The Canon 500mm f4 IS l lists for $5249.00 and it is one stop slower and is a fixed lens not a zoom.

So I think the Sigma 200-500f2.8 is likely to be significantly more than either of these.

edited March 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    My guess is higher than that, just based on the mass of glass involved.

The Sigma 300-800f5.6 is listed for $6999.00 on B&H, and it is 2 whole fstops slower glass.
    $9999.
    edited March 10, 2007
    I was thinking around $8,500. Maybe $9