Options

apple powerbook discussion

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    The 12" doesn't have a PCMCIA slot, so you will need an external card reader or cable to connect to your camera.

Dave

well, that stinks.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    anybody want to wager on what i'm doing ?
    DavidTO wrote:
    Will Andy get more value for his money after the updates? Absolutely. Should he wait? Well, that's a 50/50 proposition, I think. Totally up to him and how desparately he wants to fully Apple-ify his life.

i think dave should go double or nothing with fish

lol3.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    How much difference in speed is there between the 15 iBook and the 15 in PB? Is there any difference in the screens?
    Major differences:

Screen: 14.1" square 1024x768 ibook; 15.2" wide 1280x854 pbook
    Graphics: ATI Radeon 9200 w/32mb ibook; ATI Radeon 9700 w/64mb pbook
    Speed: 1.33ghz G4 on 133mhz system bus ibook; 1.5ghz on 167mhz system bus pbook
    RAM: up to 1.25gb ibook; up to 2gb pbook
    Storage: 60gb ibook; 80gb pbook (these can be upgraded, tho).

Performance edge definitely goes to the powerbook.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, that stinks.

Same goes for the iBook line. If you want the PCMCIA, go w/ the 15". It has a nice wide format display & very cool backlit keyboard :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    andy wrote:

lol3.gif

What do you say fish? Need more money for that lens lust?

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I've read a lot about this, but I've never had that problem with mine. I think it only relates to the first generation 867 12".

Dave
    Some do and some don't. When I was trying to decide between the two, I walked into the Valley Fair apple store and touched them. Thee 12" was noticeably hotter on my left palm than the 15". I brought it to the employee's attention and she said she never noticed it before rolleyes1.gif

Even my 15" gets hot when I've been using it for a long while, without letting it idle.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    What do you say fish? Need more money for that lens lust?

Dave
    You're on. Not much difference between a $2 deadbeat and a $1 deadbeat. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    andy wrote:

lol3.gif

I know a sure bet when I see one...(and when I read it on another thread!)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, that stinks.

The iBooks don't have PCMCIA. Neither does a 12" pBook. You need at least a 15" pBook to get a card slot. I use a FireWire reader. Even FireWire 400 is faster than my friend's cardslot reader.

The iBook suggestion is a great one if you don't need all the features. If you need it for field work, to download images and do intial previewing, but use the Power Mac for the big stuff, then you don't really need dual-monitor support, or blazing fast performance, or huge hard drives, etc. Take the money saved and buy more glass. :) If it is your only computer, however, you are better off with the pBook.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    You're on. Not much difference between a $2 deadbeat and a $1 deadbeat. rolleyes1.gif

Actually, you need to talk to Andy about that $1. Read the last part of his post
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I know a sure bet when I see one...(and when I read it on another thread!)

I saw that :D

Gambling has never been a strong point for me.

Dave
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    My 1ghz G4 Titanium Powerbook is 2 years old, and just now starting to show real signs of age as far as keeping up with the upgrades. Boat anchor after six months? Hardly.

This is my main computer and has been for two years. I often have to process several hundred raw files. It is definitely not the fastest but it will get the job done in a decent amount of time. I have become very good at getting it set up to run overnight. I leave and it keeps working while I play or sleep. I am waiting for a big bump in the PB line, hopefully G5, even a dual core G4 would work (dual G5 would be even better naughty.gifrolleyes1.gif ). I could really use a dual G5, but as Fish stated it, you may have the fastest and best, but very soon there will be something better. I have decided to sit on the sidelines for a while and deal with what I have, until there is a huge improvement. I am starting to save for that new computer though, since I know it will be inevitable that I get one. deal.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    Anyone have any thoughts about a 20" G5 iMac? I'm wondering mostly about the quality of the display. I would imagine its better than my 12" PowerBook in terms of viewing angle and color accuracy. I'm lusting after that machine.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Anyone have any thoughts about a 20" G5 iMac? I'm wondering mostly about the quality of the display. I would imagine its better than my 12" PowerBook in terms of viewing angle and color accuracy. I'm lusting after that machine.

It is awesome! I drool over it every time I'm at the Apple Store. I'm not sure if its the same display in the 20" Studio mount, but it has to be close.

Dave
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

This site has a lot of good speed comparisons to see if a machine will be a lot faster. I have thought about a 20" G5 imac since it would be a good compromise, get me to the G5 chipset and would seem to have a long life for general computer use if you bought a faster machine down the road. How fast of a computer do you need to email, surf and do day to day things? The color is probably as good as a 12" if not better. I like the PB line because it runs a dual monitor set up very well and I can run a CRT to get better color. That is probably why I am waiting for the new PBs and not jumping on a desktop. I do a lot of work on the road.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

I've got one, and it's gorgeous! Quiet and fast too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Some words from a workmate on why it's highly unlikely that a G5 powerbook will ship in 2005:
    The biggie: ~25 watt power draw at a lower performance setting, though rumor has it the SOI version of the 970FX will bring that down to 15W, but that's still significantly higher than the 10 or so watts for a G4 at the "max
    performance" setting. We won't even talk about what would need to happen for those to arrive with significant yields at a price that would keep a PB reasonably priced and with decent availability.

I won't say that it WON'T happen, but if it does the cooling solution will be
    "interesting" and battery life will be noticeably less than with the current
    generation of PowerBooks.

Then again, Athlon 64 laptops exist with those CPUs' typical power draw also in the 25w range, but none of them are anywhere near as sleek or light as Apple customers have come to demand from their PowerBooks.

In short, a G5 PowerBook at present would have to weigh at least 8 lbs, be as thick or thicker than an iBook, and would have a battery life of around two hours, if you're lucky; I don't think any of those factors would fly with PB customers just to get G5 performance in a laptop...
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    done. i bought the powerbook g4...
    and an additional 1gb ram from crucial. i upgr the disk to the faster 80gb.

they may announce something, they may not. that's okay, i'm not the sort to wait.

1.33ghz is an upgrade in speed for me anyhow.

thank you all, for your help and advice!
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Conrats, Andy. Is your home now fully upgraded? Just checking, cause once that's complete, we need to move on to your work environment!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Conrats, Andy. Is your home now fully upgraded? Just checking, cause once that's complete, we need to move on to your work environment!

have two add'l pcs in the house. they'll stay :D
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Mac Mini might make an excellent home theater controller for andy-boy. nod.gif

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the PB. You'll enjoy it. They're just so damn elegant.

I bought a silver Pelican 1500 case for my 15" pb and stuff, cuz it stacks nicely on top of the black 1500 camera case (20D, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L IS, and 580EX) in the back of my 4runner.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    That's what I said until I spent a six hour evening trying to get the PCs to talk to the Macs. The Macs had no problem talking to the PCs, but the PCs just ignored the Macs. No PCs have electrons flowing through them in my house now (although one of them did for a short period today, while I transferred my turbotax archives off of it to the iMac :)
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    apple bends over backwards to keep a customer happy
    apple really
    cu005.jpg

i called them to ask why there was no option for expedited shipping on my order. they don't have that option for the powerbooks, so they rep told me that instead of cancelling my order, they'd give me an additional $75 off my order.

clap.gif apple
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Mac Mini might make an excellent home theater controller for andy-boy. nod.gif

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the PB. You'll enjoy it. They're just so damn elegant.

I bought a silver Pelican 1500 case for my 15" pb and stuff, cuz it stacks nicely on top of the black 1500 camera case (20D, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L IS, and 580EX) in the back of my 4runner.

fishy, d'ya think waxolicious would appreciate a case like that for my new powerbook for when he's caddying for me in yosemite?
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    no problemo....
    fish wrote:
    That's what I said until I spent a six hour evening trying to get the PCs to talk to the Macs. The Macs had no problem talking to the PCs, but the PCs just ignored the Macs. No PCs have electrons flowing through them in my house now (although one of them did for a short period today, while I transferred my turbotax archives off of it to the iMac :)

pcs are used by mrs. w and issue. mrs. w and issue are *not* allowed to talk to the mac - period.

i have access to the pcs but don't want it the other way around.

deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    fishy, d'ya think waxolicious would appreciate a case like that for my new powerbook for when he's caddying for me in yosemite?
    Absolutely. They even have places to clip a shoulder strap, so if you have your sherpa tote your gear several miles out into the woods, he'll appreciate that feature.

Here are some shots of my current bomb-proof setup. I can only carry one of them on the motorcycle at a time, but in the 4Runner, they stack and stay put in the back, even during aggressive 4WD maneuvers (cargo net). If I feel the need to take more than two lenses, then I'll bring one of the lowepros. Tripod, lightstands, 'brellas, etc are in separate case, naturally.

shots taken with 10D, 28-135 IS, and internal flash:

14858196-L.jpg

The black case also carries the charger, extra 511, and two 4-packs of rechargeable AAs (flashes). The silver case also carries the AC power adapter, Delkin cardbus CF reader, mouse, retractable CAT5 cable, and airport express.

14858197-L.jpg

14858198-L.jpg

i couldn't resist posting a pic of your sherpa...
    14607461-L.jpg

just some ideas.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    fish, i really appreciate your help here
    fish wrote:

i couldn't resist posting a pic of your sherpa...
    14607461-L.jpg

just some ideas.

there's no limit to the type of help we can expect here on dgrin, and the fact that you would put yourself out there to help me like this, why hey, would somebody get me a tissue?
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    there's no limit to the type of help we can expect here on dgrin, and the fact that you would put yourself out there to help me like this, why hey, would somebody get me a tissue?
    We aim to please, andrew. You aim too, please.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    apple really
    cu005.jpg

i called them to ask why there was no option for expedited shipping on my order. they don't have that option for the powerbooks, so they rep told me that instead of cancelling my order, they'd give me an additional $75 off my order.

clap.gif apple

Nice!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    andy wrote:

Andy, Andy, Andy. You have so much more to learn, my son.

<sigh>

Fish, Pathfinder. Help me here. We've got our work cut out for us with this one.
    Moderator Emeritus