apple powerbook discussion

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    fish wrote:
    neat, but damn, expensive! is it really that much faster?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    my apple story, continued
    well, the new pb didn't get here from china in time for my trip next week, so i trotted down to the apple store in soho, old pb in hand and my receipt. they exchanged my old pb for a new one, no probs. and oh, becuase i was told yes, they had the combo drive version in stock, but actually that was wrong, would i take a super drive model instead?

sure. apple rocks.

oh and whoever asked, that two-finger scrolly thingie on the track pad is su-weeet
    edited February 4, 2005
    forgot one thing
    the add'l memory installed no prob.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, the new pb didn't get here from china in time for my trip next week, so i trotted down to the apple store in soho, old pb in hand and my receipt. they exchanged my old pb for a new one, no probs. and oh, becuase i was told yes, they had the combo drive version in stock, but actually that was wrong, would i take a super drive model instead?

sure. apple rocks.

oh and whoever asked, that two-finger scrolly thingie on the track pad is su-weeet

No restocking fee? What happens to the one in transit? Where are you travelling to?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    No restocking fee? What happens to the one in transit? Where are you travelling to?

no restocking fee. they "took care" of it becuase of the delay in getting me the orig new machine i ordered via the web. the one in transit is being re-routed back to apple.

i'm going to california next week.

there all q's answered lol3.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    andy wrote:

wave.gif glad to know it works, time to start saving for a new PB. deal.gif
    edited February 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    no restocking fee. they "took care" of it becuase of the delay in getting me the orig new machine i ordered via the web. the one in transit is being re-routed back to apple.

i'm going to california next week.

there all q's answered lol3.gif

ah, but where in ca?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 4, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    wave.gif glad to know it works, time to start saving for a new PB. deal.gif
    didn't I post a link to sidetrack up here? i understand if you still want a new PB, but you can have scrolling on your current track pad. it rocks!
    Erik

edited February 5, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    didn't I post a link to sidetrack up here? i understand if you still want a new PB, but you can have scrolling on your current track pad. it rocks!

Yes, I found your link. I must have missed it. I just saw it discussed on another forum. Glad it works for you. I need to try it out. thumb.gif
    edited February 5, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

I just installed it. It seems to work well. I need to give it some time to get used to it. I also set up expose as a hot corner, I never think about using it, but love it when I remember. Hopefully as a hot corner I will learn to use it more. thumb.gif
    edited February 5, 2005
    hot corner?
    patch29 wrote:
    I just installed it. It seems to work well. I need to give it some time to get used to it. I also set up expose as a hot corner, I never think about using it, but love it when I remember. Hopefully as a hot corner I will learn to use it more. thumb.gif

'splain, loocy. gracias.
    edited February 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    'splain, loocy. gracias.

Which part? Sidetrack is scrolling for older powerbooks.

Expose is the ability to see all open windows at once (and some other options) by hitting the F9 key or you can go to your system preferences, choose expose and set a corner of the screen to active, and it will active expose or a screen saver, etc, when you drag your mouse or trackpad pointer to the designated corner.

If you have not tried it, it is super cool when you have a lot of windows or open images to get where you want to quickly. thumb.gif
    edited February 5, 2005
    this part
    patch29 wrote:
    .. choose expose and set a corner of the screen to active, and it will active expose or a screen saver, etc, when you drag your mouse or trackpad pointer to the designated corner.

thumb.gif
    edited February 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thumb.gif

can you open a lot of files on your 30", then do a screenshot with expose so we can all be amazed at how many files you can show at once. :D
    edited February 5, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    can you open a lot of files on your 30", then do a screenshot with expose so we can all be amazed at how many files you can show at once. :D

here you go. coupla photoshop files (that's gubbsie chimping lol3.gif), adium (multi account im client), safari with a buncha sites open in tabs, itunes...

15365964-L.jpg
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    showoff. rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    D'you just click on one to make it full screen?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 5, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    D'you just click on one to make it full screen?

waxy,

You can try it out for yourself. Go here and click the "Try it out" button. It's very cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 7, 2005
    fish wrote:
    showoff. rolleyes1.gif
    My living room TV isn't 30" umph.gif
    Erik

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Adding memory yourself doesn't void the warranty, or Apple Care, correct? I'm going to suppliment my 12" PB with a 20" iMac G5. Don't want to spend Apple's price for an extra 1G of memory. One for the road, one for PS work at home.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited February 7, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Adding memory yourself doesn't void the warranty, or Apple Care, correct? I'm going to suppliment my 12" PB with a 20" iMac G5. Don't want to spend Apple's price for an extra 1G of memory. One for the road, one for PS work at home.

no, unless you stick your screwdriver where it doesn't belong lol3.gif

i bought a gig from crucial.com and it's about 30 seconds to install it. i'd even trust my caddie to do it umph.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    When I spoke to the Apple guys, they didn't seem to have a problem installing your
    own memory. But I didn't ask in the context of third party memory.

My past experience has been that if you do have a problem, you'd need to reconfigure
    the machine to match what's covered under the warranty before asking for help.
    In practice, I haven't ever had to remove components unless sending the item in
    for repair. Please keep in mind my experience is not with Apple.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'd even trust my caddie to do it umph.gif

Be careful, your caddy, wxwax, is a peecee guy. Might not get the whole Apple thing.

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    When I spoke to the Apple guys, they didn't seem to have a problem installing your
    own memory. But I didn't ask in the context of third party memory.

My past experience has been that if you do have a problem, you'd need to reconfigure
    the machine to match what's covered under the warranty before asking for help.
    In practice, I haven't ever had to remove components unless sending the item in
    for repair. Please keep in mind my experience is not with Apple.

Ian

I've sent my old PB in for repair w/ 3rd party memory. Apple fixed the problem & didn't say a thing about my ram from Crucial.

Dave
    edited February 7, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I've sent my old PB in for repair w/ 3rd party memory. Apple fixed the problem & didn't say a thing about my ram from Crucial.

Dave

Sure, it's a Customer Installable Part
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Be careful, your caddy, wxwax, is a peecee guy. Might not get the whole Apple thing.

;)

Ooops, what was that I dropped? It sounded expensive. naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

nah he's very reliable. and tolerant of all computing devices, as am i...
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nah he's very reliable. and tolerant of all computing devices, as am i...
    Reliable yes, but hypersensitive. mwink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 16, 2005
    traded in my 12" powerbook
    and upgraded to the 15"

i wanted the wider bigger screen.

somebody stop me now!
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    and upgraded to the 15"

i wanted the wider bigger screen.

somebody stop me now!