Options

apple powerbook discussion

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    It's always so easy to fall into the straight man role with Fish, but here goes anyway. These cases look really nice for camera and lenses. For notebook computer, it seems pretty self defeating. If you are going to use a case that big, you might as well take an iMac and a generator. I like the backback that Apple sells for the 17-inch PB. It also fits my intel (linux) notebook, and can even carry both if I need to. And still have room for a change of clothes or business stuff (a book or two, a paper document, assorted gear.) It's only shortcomming, too few zippered pockets inside. It's made by Brenthaven.

I've been hauling notebooks around on airplanes since 1992 and I like this solution best by far of any that I've had before.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    It's always so easy to fall into the straight man role with Fish, but here goes anyway. These cases look really nice for camera and lenses. For notebook computer, it seems pretty self defeating. If you are going to use a case that big, you might as well take an iMac and a generator. I like the backback that Apple sells for the 17-inch PB. It also fits my intel (linux) notebook, and can even carry both if I need to. And still have room for a change of clothes or business stuff (a book or two, a paper document, assorted gear.) It's only shortcomming, too few zippered pockets inside. It's made by Brenthaven.

I've been hauling notebooks around on airplanes since 1992 and I like this solution best by far of any that I've had before.

Hey rutt,

The powerbook pelican is only for auto travel. I have a very slim Tumi case that I use for work and air travel. Things tend to get smushed in the back of my 4Runner and the pelican prevents that.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    cancelled web order
    didn't want to wait 12 days to get the darn thing, so i hoofed down to soho and picked up the machine from the soho store.

now... to wipe clean my sony laptop, so i can send it off to it's new owner :D
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    didn't want to wait 12 days to get the darn thing, so i hoofed down to soho and picked up the machine from the soho store.

now... to wipe clean my sony laptop, so i can send it off to it's new owner :D

Here are a few photos of Andy, incognito, purchasing a few other items at the Apple store.

I guess it is safe to say you have been bitten by the Apple bug? Do you have an ipod yet? ear.gif

What else can we help Andy buy? deal.gifnaughty.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    4 kids, a wife and me....
    patch29 wrote:
    Here are a few photos of Andy, incognito, purchasing a few other items at the Apple store.

I guess it is safe to say you have been bitten by the Apple bug? Do you have an ipod yet? ear.gif

What else can we help Andy buy? deal.gifnaughty.gif

and we have five ipods between us. only one ipod-less is my son trevor, and he's just 5 and a half, so give him a little time :D

funny story... i gave him my old sony system once i got the new mac installed at my home studio.... and his setup is like four feet away, but faces sort of away from me... i'm working on some photos, deep into it, y'know? "daddy... daddy.... DADDY!!!!!!!!! COME HERE WHAT'S THIS BLUE SCREEN WITH ALL THESE FUNNY NUMBERS ON IT?" lol3.gif i kid you not
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    You need this to hold your laptop so you can shoot tethered and get those giant previews, plus you can set it to write your files to both your laptop and memory card. I have been working with my friend's 1Ds mkII and 15" PB and it does not hit the buffer or slow down it you trigger the shutter release from the camera or cable release. You can also set your laptop up to take some time lapse photos.

If you 12" is small enough you might even be able to use this setup to hold the laptop. You would really impress those you are shooting for with that setup. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    and we have five ipods between us. only one ipod-less is my son trevor, and he's just 5 and a half, so give him a little time :D

funny story... i gave him my old sony system once i got the new mac installed at my home studio.... and his setup is like four feet away, but faces sort of away from me... i'm working on some photos, deep into it, y'know? "daddy... daddy.... DADDY!!!!!!!!! COME HERE WHAT'S THIS BLUE SCREEN WITH ALL THESE FUNNY NUMBERS ON IT?" lol3.gif i kid you not

rolleyes1.gif

He only needs the 512mb shuffle right now. :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:

That's very funny. Only problem with kids is they grow up. I miss my little ones.

Anyway, we already know you love your G5/30" display, I'd love to hear your impressions of the 12".
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    i shudda been more clear
    patch29 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

He only needs the 512mb shuffle right now. :D

wife uses the shuffle-pod
    i have a 15 and want to sell it so i can get a mini (size matters!)

:D
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy, Andy, Andy. You have so much more to learn, my son.

<sigh>

Fish, Pathfinder. Help me here. We've got our work cut out for us with this one.

oh yeah, they're staying. i've no need to toss a perfectly good sony setup, it's fine for my wife and 5 year old.

thanks though :D you can talk till yer blue, but i'm not switchin those machines... not until trev has games he wants to play and they're too slow on the box.. should last another year or two anyhow...
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    oh yeah, they're staying. i've no need to toss a perfectly good sony setup, it's fine for my wife and 5 year old.

thanks though :D you can talk till yer blue, but i'm not switchin those machines... not until trev has games he wants to play and they're too slow on the box.. should last another year or two anyhow...

shuttin' up.

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    12" powerbook impressions
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's very funny. Only problem with kids is they grow up. I miss my little ones.

Anyway, we already know you love your G5/30" display, I'd love to hear your impressions of the 12".

i have a great experience. open the box, plug in... signed on in 2 mins, the machine went and fetched necessary sw updates and the whole process took about 10 mins or so. very efficient.

love the keyboard, the feel of the brushed aluminum, the look of the screen, everything about this totally rawks!

tonight i'll load up photoshop cs, ms office etc and then i'll be finished....
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i have a great experience. open the box, plug in... signed on in 2 mins, the machine went and fetched necessary sw updates and the whole process took about 10 mins or so. very efficient.

love the keyboard, the feel of the brushed aluminum, the look of the screen, everything about this totally rawks!

Cool. Don't forget your basic Macintosh Maintenance for a problem-free computing experience.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:

This, my friend, is exactly why Macintosh is worth the price delta (and we know the price delta is nowehere near as high as people believe it is, once you compare feature-comparable and bundled software-comparable machines).

Macs simply work better.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    This, my friend, is exactly why Macintosh is worth the price delta (and we know the price delta is nowehere near as high as people believe it is, once you compare feature-comparable and bundled software-comparable machines).

Macs simply work better.
    Look, I'm no computer expert, far from it. And I don't have a horse in this race.

But what Andy describes is precisely, to a 'T", how it went with my latest computer purchase, a PC assembled locally. I'm not sure I see any difference in ease of start-up. ne_nau.gif Plug in monitor, plug in keyboard, plug in speakers, turn on computer and.... compute.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Look, I'm no computer expert, far from it. And I don't have a horse in this race. But what Andy describes is precisely, to a 'T", how it went with my latest computer purchase, a PC assembled locally.

And I know so few people like that in the PC world. Whether its at initial purchase. Or when adding a peripheral. Or even adding memory (why does the PC world insist on BIOS setup screens anymore is beyond me). How many times do I read a review of PC software where they ask "but why can't it be as good as the Apple offering?"

PC's are better than they used to be. Especially 10 years ago when I worked in a Compatibility Lab for Texas Instruments, back when they made motherboard chip sets. It was horrible back then. Windows is better than it used to be. But it always lags behind Apple.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:

that was my experience as well. so easy! so pretty! (as far as first experiences with technology go, the 12 PB ranked #1)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Look, I'm no computer expert, far from it. And I don't have a horse in this race.

But what Andy describes is precisely, to a 'T", how it went with my latest computer purchase, a PC assembled locally. I'm not sure I see any difference in ease of start-up. ne_nau.gif Plug in monitor, plug in keyboard, plug in speakers, turn on computer and.... compute.

never a pc problem for me, either. but i switched anyway headscratch.gif

seriously, my winxp machines, firewall, network, music server, all run fine in my house.

i want to say it loud and clear, i'm not a mac-vangelist, i'm only reporting my results & experiences :D that said, i'm diggin the macs, fer sure.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    updated powerbooks announced today.

http://store.apple.com

the apple store in soho has one for me, and will make the exchange. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:

Dayum, they slipped in a 1.5ghz. Anything else improved that I can't see on the spec list at the moment?
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:

Sweet, bummer no dual core or G5. It is also a little odd for them to make an announcement on a Monday. I thought they usually do it on a Tuesday. headscratch.gif
    Apple today unveiled the fastest, most affordable PowerBook line ever, featuring PowerPC G4 processors running up to 1.67 GHz, faster hard drives and a faster 8X SuperDrive -- all housed in the PowerBook's signature aluminum enclosure. All new PowerBooks come standard with 512MB memory, faster graphics, integrated AirPort? 802.11g, Bluetooth 2.0 wireless networking and two new Apple patent-pending technologies?the scrolling TrackPad and the Sudden Motion Sensor.
    The new PowerBooks are available at the Apple Store:

12inch, 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB, $1499
    15inch, 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB, $1999
    15inch, 1.67GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB, Superdrive, $2299
    17inch, 1.67GHz, 512MB RAM, 100GB, Superdrive, $2699

They also have a 12" Superdrive.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Great, I've been waiting for this one. Cause this might as well be the end of the production of the G4 PB, and that means most quirks will have been dealt with. Will *not* get a Rev A Apple of anything (including the G5 PB if it ever will be released), after having seen people in my surrounding been bitten by the Rev A bug, meaning not having access to their gear until Apple fixed it (which they always did in a great way, got to admit that).

So here we go: the 15.2" Power Book 1.67 G4 I've specced out (128mb video, 100GB hard disk, 2 GB memory) now is about the same price as the Power Mac 2.0 G5 DP I specced out earlier (128 mb video, 250 GB hard disk, 2 GB memory). And I'll get only one of those two. The Power Mac would be connected to a 17" widescreen TFT that I have that gives about the same screen estate the PB will do. So it's all about processing power vs. portability. The most processing hungry task I do is caused by Photoshop, and so far I've been doing my Photoshopping on an aging Pentium 4 1.7 with only 256 MB of RAM, or an iBook 800 G3, with 640 of RAM, so it'll probably be an upgrade one way or the other.

Choices. Choices.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Dayum, they slipped in a 1.5ghz. Anything else improved that I can't see on the spec list at the moment?

5400 rpm drives standard now, and can get as big as 100G. Sudden motion sensor parks the hard disk in event of a fall. All have bluetooth now, and the newest version of it. Superdrive bumped to 8X. Those are the big improvements. And a price drop, to boot.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    Andy, tell us how well this works.
    Ready to Scroll

Scrolling through web pages or large documents on a trackpad can challenge even the most nimble fingers. That’s why every PowerBook G4 features a new trackpad with scrolling capability. Just drag two fingers over the trackpad to scroll vertically and horizontally or pan around any active window. Change this feature to suit your needs: Customize your trackpad settings or turn off scrolling completely via System Preferences.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    5400 rpm drives standard now, and can get as big as 100G. Sudden motion sensor parks the hard disk in event of a fall. All have bluetooth now, and the newest version of it. Superdrive bumped to 8X. Those are the big improvements. And a price drop, to boot.
    mine has SMS, and bluetooth (don't know the version). but mine is only 6 months old, so maybe I got an intermediate one. whatever, I love it, works great. Once I get another display so I can take advantage of the dual-display, I'll be a happy camper.

anyone have a display with decent color they want to get rid of on the cheap??? deal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    maybe you need the big brother Andy with the 128mb vram so you can take the 30" on the road?
    128MB of graphics memory with dual-link DVI functionality supports the massive 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    anyone have a display with decent color they want to get rid of on the cheap??? deal.gif

I think my Sony is on the way out. The color is good, but some of the black values are not consistent across the screen, but the price would be right, free (once I replace it).
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I think my Sony is on the way out. The color is good, but some of the black values are not consistent across the screen, but the price would be right, free (once I replace it).
    patch rocks! lemme know :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    Hmmm.... new 12" PB to replace my 867MHz one, or G5 iMac instead. Decisions...
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:

Once again, Apple rocks hard.

Andy, just to put this in perspective, just over 2 years ago, I bought my 1ghz, 60gbdrive 15" Titanium Powerbook. Cost me $3000.
    Moderator Emeritus