Saw my piccie in a movie... without permission

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Side:
    29059025-L.jpg

I assumed that position once . . . . . . . . . and then the doctor told me the exam was over.:ivar
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    I assumed that position once . . . . . . . . . and the the doctor told me the exam was over.:ivar

I am sorry ... but that is a position nobody should ever assume.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

29059025-L.jpg
    That photographer must have a huge crop factor! :D
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Is this a new technique to take stable shots at low shutter speeds. Maybe these pics should be added to some of the steady shot tutorials out there.
    BTW today morning there was an earthquake here.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Is this a new technique to take stable shots at low shutter speeds. Maybe these pics should be added to some of the steady shot tutorials out there.

Well, Sid actually did invent it deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Thread subscribed to.

This is rapidly becoming the most entertaining thread at Dgrin.

rolleyes1.gif I came to that conclusion about 17 pages ago. Man, this has got the be the cruelest group of photographers on the net. I feel right at home. mwink.gif Of course, after this last page my eyes are bleeding (note to self, watch my back when out shooting with dgrinners). umph.gif
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, Sid actually did invent it deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

And maybe this is how Sid learned photography:

Patent 4,141,176 - Posable doll, means for movably mounting same and toy camera

140844997-L.jpg
    edited April 3, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    And maybe this is how Sid learned photography:

Patent 4,141,176 - Posable doll, means for movably mounting same and toy camera

This is soo cool. rolleyes1.gif
    Hey, gang, may be we can find one online. I'd be willing to chip in and send it to Sid gift-wrapped. deal.gif
    David, any insights where this deivce might be selling? headscratch.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    This is soo cool. rolleyes1.gif
    Hey, gang, may be we can find one online. I'd be willing to chip in and send it to Sid gift-wrapped. deal.gif

Won't it ruin the surprise if Sid sees us planning our surprise gift in this thread?
    headscratch.gif

Count me in, anyway.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited April 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Wow - who knows.

This was patented in 1976, and the exclusive rights to the patent expired 1991, if not earlier. So anybody could have made it/sold after the expiration date. The patent owner (assignee) was Mattel, but who knows if they ever made them at all.

Perhaps Andy could get a nice, framed print of this image for Sid?:D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I remember Sid saying he has a doll. I think he said it was a photographic large size, no wait uprezed doll, no I remember now, it was a blow up doll. :D

Sam
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    This one can't be his though..... http://www.eppslimousines.com/ :nono
    I'm still curious, and no I'm not trying to keep this thread alive (lol3.gif), or :deadhorse , is this the photo sid actually sold.....ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    So what *is* Sid up to right now????
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Got up this morning to white rain....it was in the 70's a day or two ago....

How ya doin' Waxy......waitin' on another episode of Sid and the Capt'n from
    Gus ..... that was great.....Tom Bodell couldn't do better....but I sure could hear him reading it outloud :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hi everyone, I'm new. Oh sorry wrong thread, nm.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I had sushi the other night. Sushi in the desert- that always amuzes me!

Nikolai wrote:
    29059025-L.jpg

HTH

This looks like a Charles Barkley box out! rolleyes1.gif

Sir Mix A Lot would be proud. Sid is packing much back!

Where is Cody? Is he pissed that Sid has a thread that is going to out do his?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited April 6, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Where is Cody? Is he pissed that Sid has a thread that is going to out do his?

Who's Cody?
    edited April 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Who's Cody?

Probably in reference to this thread
    edited April 6, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Probably in reference to this thread
    Aaaaaah.. I see.. Thanks!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    So what *is* Sid up to right now????

Michiel,

That would depend on what the definition of "is" is. :D

Sam
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    That would depend on what the definition of "is" is. :D

perfect timing, as I'm watching a movie of Robin Williams as president right now.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    perfect timing, as I'm watching a movie of Robin Williams as president right now.
    Then what are you doing here? headscratch.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    Movie Review: An Inconvenient Truth
    as promised...

2006. Running time 100 minutes.

CAUTION, may contain spoilers!!!

Al Gore, once Vice President of the United States, and once the Next President of the United States, brings viewers up-to-date on Earth's rapid and alarming carbon emission addiction. What may be an unstoppable buildup to a massive man-made global malady is thoughtfully introduced, expanded upon with conclusary future data brought to bear. Presented by Gore himself, with small ancillary biographical Gore vignettes throughout, this one-sided message is presented strongly and with ample scientific evidence. Not much contrary opinion is offered up in this documentary, and if this film has a flaw, that is it. The viewer is nonetheless bombarded with enough material to all but extinguish theories to the contrary. If we do not act responsibly, and soon, the Earth and Man is doomed. And perhaps, it is already too late.

p.s. - oh, and I did see what would have been Sid's picture, if he had taken it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    I had my BS meter triggered early on in the movie when he showed a graph of the increase in C02 over the last few centuries. He pointed to the left of the graph which showed the level way at the bottom of the graph a few centuries ago. Then he made a big deal of standing on a ladder to show where the level is today, then projected that he couldn't reach where the level would be tomorrow. The implication was that the C02 had increased by some huge factor. The only problem was there were no numbers on the graph, nor did he mention any numbers. Hmmm....

A bit of googling shows that C02 has increased from about 280 ppm to 360 ppm, or around 27% since year 1700.

However, Gore made it look like it had increased a tremendous amount by neglecting to explain what the baselevel and increments were. It was a thinly disguised cheap trick to make a small change look huge. After that, I really had a hard time believing anything he said.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited April 7, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    I had my BS meter triggered early on in the movie when he showed a graph of the increase in C02 over the last few centuries. He pointed to the left of the graph which showed the level way at the bottom of the graph a few centuries ago. Then he made a big deal of standing on a ladder to show where the level is today, then projected that he couldn't reach where the level would be tomorrow. The implication was that the C02 had increased by some huge factor. The only problem was there were no numbers on the graph, nor did he mention any numbers. Hmmm....

A bit of googling shows that C02 has increased from about 280 ppm to 360 ppm, or around 27% since year 1700.

However, Gore made it look like it had increased a tremendous amount by neglecting to explain what the baselevel and increments were. It was a thinly disguised cheap trick to make a small change look huge. After that, I really had a hard time believing anything he said.

Cheers,
    -joel

As they say, "there are lie, blatant lie and statistics"..mwink.gif

It's very unfortunate that it came to this. People try to deliver the important message, yet to be heard they start to use the same BS tactics as their opponents, thus rendering their own efforts useless...ne_nau.gif

BTW, Sid, did you like the movie? rolleyes1.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    kdog wrote:

Cheers,
    -joel

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/07/science/earth/07climate.html?hp
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    kdog wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8ynba

Now, can we please get this thread back on track... Sid, did you get any pictures of cars sliding around in the Atlanta snow last night?
    edited April 7, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    Now, can we please get this thread back on track
    Sure:

141780880-L.jpg
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    kdog wrote:

Joel:

First paragraph states that's the controversial theory of one scientist.