Options

Get ready to sell stock photos

Comments

• Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    No. And do not think they are going forward with this. Read through this whole thread.
    leightonoc wrote:
    Hi, Was the option for stock photos added?

Leighton

Many of you sell digital downloads and wonder how to get more exposure for your work.

We're not ready to go public with this news, but we knew you'd love advanced notice about a stock photo service we're working on (we hope this forum is a secret corner of the world).

We're going to provide an option for you to enable specific galleries for stock sales. When you do, any photo in those galleries that is for sale via digital download will be added to SmugMug's stock catalog.

We're planning to construct a page for finding stock photos that will be in some ways like our popular photos page. The stock photo page, however, will have a custom search engine just for stock.

We'd love to get your feedback so we can make sure we get this right at launch. And we hope you'll enable some great shots for digital downloads now so there is good content on day one. You can't enable galleries for stock sales yet, but that should be a quick job if you've already enabled photos for digital sales.

Timing: we believe we're a short number of weeks away but it's software...if we run into snags there could be delays.

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
    Baldy
    [/quote]
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    No. And do not think they are going forward with this.

I think you'd be wrong :D
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I was just thinking about this earlier in the week! Perhaps it'll happen in co-operation with the likes of License Stream maybe? Any hints?thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Updates
    Andy wrote:

Andy,
    Can you provide any updates to this? For those of us that currently sell some stock and look forward to having this feature available thru our SM account - it would be nice to get some general updated info so we can still prepare as much as we can ahead of time.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2008
    Andy,
    Can you provide any updates to this? For those of us that currently sell some stock and look forward to having this feature available thru our SM account - it would be nice to get some general updated info so we can still prepare as much as we can ahead of time.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Hi, sorry - I've said repeatedly :D we won't give a date but it's terribly important to us. Prepare ? Have galleries of stock stuff ready and keyworded deal.gif
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Andy would you be able/willing to let us know if this would be just Royalty Free stock, or is there a possibility that you might also be working on a model for Rights Managed?

Asking because I am currently testing out using LicenseStream for RM licensing fully integrated on my SM site. The automation works very well and integrates seamlessly, but there are a couple things I'm not entirely happy about. If SM is working on RM licensing, I'd much rather use SM 100%. :D But if SM is going the way of RF only, I need to continue to work with the folks at ImageSpan to improve LicenseStream.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Andy would you be able/willing to let us know if this would be just Royalty Free stock, or is there a possibility that you might also be working on a model for Rights Managed?

Asking because I am currently testing out using LicenseStream for RM licensing fully integrated on my SM site. The automation works very well and integrates seamlessly, but there are a couple things I'm not entirely happy about. If SM is working on RM licensing, I'd much rather use SM 100%. :D But if SM is going the way of RF only, I need to continue to work with the folks at ImageSpan to improve LicenseStream.
    We've been pretty clear in this thread that we'd do RF.
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I was wondering.........
    Was wondering if you'd be so kind as to give us an update on this stock photo thing. Andy, if you give me the same "I'm not telling" I just might slit my throat :D

Please tell me anything BUT I'm not telling. Get creative... you're a creative guy! And be polite, I'm not trying to bust your nuts but it's been a LOOOONG time since this thread started. :D

I don't expect dates, I don't expect specifics, just tell me it's still a "due to be released" item that you are serious about and that it WILL happen in
    2009. No pressure here at all..... just give us a YEAR! hehe
    Andy wrote:
    We've been pretty clear in this thread that we'd do RF.
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Please tell me anything BUT I'm not telling. Get creative... you're a creative guy!

For the Marketplace - I'm working on Ts & Cs now - both for you pros, and for buyers. We're working plenty of system infrastructure that'll support this. We've got other sorcerers on the UI bit.

It's beginning to come together!
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Oh boy. I don't mind being proved wrong for this.
    Andy wrote:
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    THANK you!
    I want to thank you for answering with something of some kind of substance this time, Andy. I know and understand why you were reluctant and that's how it should be when you want to keep things kind of quiet behind the scenes.

Maybe all the TONS of work I put into making my site "stock ready" will payoff eventually :D

Have a great day today... you ARE the man!

Markjay
    Andy wrote:
    For the Marketplace - I'm working on Ts & Cs now - both for you pros, and for buyers. We're working plenty of system infrastructure that'll support this. We've got other sorcerers on the UI bit.

Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Wow, this thread is still alive?
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    OK, I'm a noob.

What are you people talking about.

What are "stock photos"?

If I don't know what they are, I can't be anxious and poke at Andy...

rolleyes1.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    This is awsome and I'm so psyched about Smummug starting to market stock photos!

This is a very long thread and I haven't been able to read all the posts and sorry if this question has already been asked but I'm wondering if we will be able to sell both RM and RF licenses?

Go Smugmug. I'm so psyched! Thank you!!!!
  • Options
    cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    cappi wrote:
    This is awsome and I'm so psyched about Smummug starting to market stock photos!

This is a very long thread and I haven't been able to read all the posts and sorry if this question has already been asked but I'm wondering if we will be able to sell both RM and RF licenses?

Go Smugmug. I'm so psyched! Thank you!!!!

I found the answer to my question. Looks like this will only be RF. Many of us have stock photos that are listed at places like Alamy as RM. We would not be able to offer them for sale here as RF stock. An RM option would be nice.
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks!
    Andy wrote:

Thanks to Andy and all the Smugmug guys for making this happen!
    I haven't visited this thread for ages and thought the idea was buried but I'm happy that it's going to finally happen!
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    torags wrote:
    OK, I'm a noob.

What are you people talking about.

What are "stock photos"?

If I don't know what they are, I can't be anxious and poke at Andy...

rolleyes1.gif

Photos you sell to folks like Graphic designers and such, they may want to use it in an add or even use just part of it.. So say your looking through a magazine and there is an ad for... I dont know... a bicycle and in the ad is a photo of a kid riding a bike.. more likly than not, that photo was bought off a stock photography site. its like having millions of photos at your disposal for what ever you need em for. do a google for "Micro Stock" sites.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Thanks.

So I conclude it means photos one doesn't have to alter after posting?

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    wacommewacomme Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Timeframe
    When is the stock photo sale option likely to be implemented?
    Michael Chamberlin
    Michael Chamberlin Photography
    www.chamberlinphoto.com
    michael@chamberlinphoto.com

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    wacomme wrote:
    When is the stock photo sale option likely to be implemented?

3114780982_35ae79510c_m.jpg
  • Options
    Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    cmason wrote:

Actually, Hell, Michigan is probably just about frozen over.
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
  • Options
    iSmileiSmile Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 23, 2008
    Smugmug Stock Photos
    Awesome! I love you guys! Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Really? Should I stop working on the terms and other things I'm doing for this?
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Really? Should I stop working on the terms and other things I'm doing for this?

ROFL! considering that the thread was started May-09-2007, 03:30 PM.... rolleyes1.gif

over a year and a half in internet speak IS an eternity.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    ROFL! considering that the thread was started May-09-2007, 03:30 PM.... rolleyes1.gif

over a year and a half in internet speak IS an eternity.
    I've posted a number of times.... I'll say it again :D We are very grateful for the awesome feedback and request here. Our intention is to have a marketplace for our pros. We're gonna finish our plans on getting a new pro lab out first, then coupons, and continue to work towards a marketplace offering. There are lots of moving parts to this, it's not just a wave of the hand and boom-done. I'm sorry we haven't moves as fast as you'd like on this.

But it's a good reason for us to keep our mouths shut on new features :D
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I've posted a number of times.... I'll say it again :D We are very grateful for the awesome feedback and request here. Our intention is to have a marketplace for our pros. We're gonna finish our plans on getting a new pro lab out first, then coupons, and continue to work towards a marketplace offering. There are lots of moving parts to this, it's not just a wave of the hand and boom-done. I'm sorry we haven't moves as fast as you'd like on this.

i've posted this a number of times...and i'll say it again... :D you guys are awesome!

i just like to pick on "authority." it's in my nature. mwink.gifiloveyou.gif

Baldy wrote:
    posted in may 2007
    Timing: we believe we're a short number of weeks away but it's software...if we run into snags there could be delays.

*giggle*
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Stock Photos
    Andy and everyone...first of all, Happy Holidays!

Secondly, I am willing to wait for the implementation (now very important to me) of the stock photo option. It is the reason I am staying with SM.

The PhotoShelter situation was a little scary and unsettling for us stock people. Microstock for me is not an option.

I will wait and continue to sell my stock photos to magazines the old fashioned way until SM is ready to unveil what I'm sure will be a very well thought out and workable process for stock.
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We're gonna finish our plans on getting a new pro lab out first, then coupons, and continue to work towards a marketplace offering. There are lots of moving parts to this, it's not just a wave of the hand and boom-done. I'm sorry we haven't moves as fast as you'd like on this.

Smugmug is doing an awesome job, and some of us with our A.D.D. forget just how hard you guys work for us. The fact that you guys have spent so much time working with the pro labs to offer us the very best choice is just another reason why smugmug is number 1 with many of us.
    Just the addition of the metallic prints was enough for me to keep my pro membership. thumb.gif
    Maybe if you didn't spoil us so much, we would be more patient. Either that, or you guys need to figure out how to clone the staff.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    The cool thing about smugmug is that it's owned and opereated by photographers like us. They could have easily whipped up some run of the mill stock photography section. But, I'm sure they are considering the small time photographers like myself; That might not have the proper exposure, so we won't get overlooked when buyers are looking for stock photographs.

I could almost garantee that we'll be more than happy when they release their unified stock photography section. And I totally agree with the unified price for the stock photography by size. Removes the undercutting, and buyers will know, "Okay, over at smugmug, we'll get a great quality 1MB file for $25."

Yes. We are all in competition to sell photos, but if we don't make it easy for the clients, no one wins. Yes to unification! Yes to smugstock! (You have my permission to use that name! lol)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We're gonna finish our plans on getting a new pro lab out first, then coupons, and continue to work towards a marketplace offering.
    New lab? Hmmmm... I need to get on here more often! Didn't know...

Coupons?!? clap.gif They would really simplify my life!!