Options

Get ready to sell stock photos

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    I know, I wish I had your eternal passiveness, you're a good man Andy. thumb.gif
    I'm not sure what this means.
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm not sure what this means.
    :) it means you always maintain a level headed presense. You don't get wound up, or at least don't show that you get wound up very much.
    It was meant as a compliment.
    -
    and for what it's worth, I think there is a time in every threads life where it is better served to be locked. It could always be refered to in a link. This thread has more posts then I do and it's now officially over 2 years old, it has run it's course. I doubt anyone is going to drag themselves through it at this point, and if they did they would reach the end with very little knowledge gained, and a whole lot of time wasted.
    I do believe that if SM were honest with themselves they would admit that the chances of them firing up a Stock photography branch at this point in the game is a long shot.
    -
    Now, where are those coupons? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    :) it means you always maintain a level headed presense. You don't get wound up, or at least don't show that you get wound up very much.
    It was meant as a compliment.
    -
    and for what it's worth, I think there is a time in every threads life where it is better served to be locked. It could always be refered to in a link. This thread has more posts then I do and it's now officially over 2 years old, it has run it's course. I doubt anyone is going to drag themselves through it at this point, and if they did they would reach the end with very little knowledge gained, and a whole lot of time wasted.
    I do believe that if SM were honest with themselves they would admit that the chances of them firing up a Stock photography branch at this point in the game is a long shot.
    -
    Now, where are those coupons? mwink.gif
    Thanks! We don't lock threads, Beetle :D Never have. But I appreciate your comment!
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    Can I come to your 50,000th post party?

Do we get a prize if the post is a response to us?
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Can I come to your 50,000th post party?

Do we get a prize if the post is a response to us?

5 year anniversary? :ivar
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Hey, maybe SM is revving up the stock engines?

SM is listed in the links below this short video on Good Morning America as one of the places you can go to sell your photos as stock.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MakeMoney/story?id=7667769

They didn't mention anything about coupons.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Hey, maybe SM is revving up the stock engines?

SM is listed in the links below this short video on Good Morning America as one of the places you can go to sell your photos as stock.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MakeMoney/story?id=7667769

They didn't mention anything about coupons.
    They called it stock, but not at our request. I'd not read anything into it... thanks.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It depends - shoot me a resume to our help desk - ATTN: Andy

What language/tools/technology are you guys using?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Did this happen?
    Baldy wrote:
    128585224-L.jpgHello pros!

Many of you sell digital downloads and wonder how to get more exposure for your work.

We're not ready to go public with this news, but we knew you'd love advanced notice about a stock photo service we're working on (we hope this forum is a secret corner of the world).

We're going to provide an option for you to enable specific galleries for stock sales. When you do, any photo in those galleries that is for sale via digital download will be added to SmugMug's stock catalog.

We're planning to construct a page for finding stock photos that will be in some ways like our popular photos page. The stock photo page, however, will have a custom search engine just for stock.

We'd love to get your feedback so we can make sure we get this right at launch. And we hope you'll enable some great shots for digital downloads now so there is good content on day one. You can't enable galleries for stock sales yet, but that should be a quick job if you've already enabled photos for digital sales.

Timing: we believe we're a short number of weeks away but it's software...if we run into snags there could be delays.

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
    Baldy
    I see this thread is quite old, but I want to know if it ever happened. Is there a stock photo component in SmugMug?
    Sounds great if there is.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    *sigh*
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    *sigh*
    Hi R9jackson, Sorry for that.

We didn't build this feature - yet. Don't know when we will - we want it, the spirit is willing... but there are various reasons why we're not doing it now - none of which I will go into here right now.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:

We didn't build this feature - yet. Don't know when we will - we want it, the spirit is willing... but there are various reasons why we're not doing it now - none of which I will go into here right now.

I guess this is more of smug mugs cutting edgerolleyes1.gifrolleyes
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Andy wrote:

So it was announced 2 years ago, and it never came to fruition? Wow. headscratch.gif
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    So it was announced 2 years ago, and it never came to fruition? Wow. headscratch.gif
    My guess is that they need virtual galleries to make it work, and their architecture needs a lot of work to support that functionality.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Yes. For lots of reasons. Things happen, technical, legal ....
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes. For lots of reasons. Things happen, technical, legal ....
    But why announce it then two years later say we are working on itheadscratch.gifscratch
    I work in the computer field and we don't announce a change until we have it working and are ready for users.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    dbveto wrote:
    But why announce it then two years later say we are working on itheadscratch.gifscratch
    I work in the computer field and we don't announce a change until we have it working and are ready for users.

Well since this announcement, many stock sites went belly up, such as PhotoShelter, and consolidation around the big guys like Getty. iStockphoto is buying competitors, and even Getty is offering Flickr photos as stock.

Seems to me the market has changed dramatically, and perhaps Smugmug has decided that the stock biz isn't what they are good at.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    They are busy trying to get coupons live, and I for one would be very dissapointed to learn that SM was waisting any energy on stock.

Regarding the 2 years comment, it's now officially closer to three and coupons and packages have been waiting far longer than that.

To be successful now in stock, someone is going to have to develop a model that takes stock to a new level like iStock did with microstock. But breaking into the market with the same old song and dance is going to be a lost cause.

PS failed on the stock front for many reasons, they had a decent idea but probably poor planning and execution beyond that point.
    So SM not jumping in is a good thing, starting and pimping a thread labeled "Get ready to sell stock photos" was a bad idea.
    Don't get mad, I'm just saying a better title would have been a better idea.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Don't get mad, I'm just saying a better title would have been a better idea.

I agree, the title of this thread certainly threw me off. Perhaps it should be renamed?

I also agree that coupons need the energy and focus right now.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    I already have an outlet for any stock photos I do, my point was why are they announcing new features that never come to pass. You come up with the feature, test it make sure you can deliver then you announce it.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    dbveto wrote:
    I already have an outlet for any stock photos I do, my point was why are they announcing new features that never come to pass. You come up with the feature, test it make sure you can deliver then you announce it.
    I think the mistake here was announcing a new feature that they were really exploring. I applaud the initial exploration with their customers to find out what people really wanted. That is a good thing for a company to do. The mistake was announcing it the way they did as if it was a done deal they were doing something. If they'd have announced it as an exploration where they wanted to find out what customers wanted and would then decide what got implemented, if anything, then everybody would understand. Some might still be disappointed that nothing got built, but at least folks would understand the intent of the original communication.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I think the mistake here was announcing a new feature that they were really exploring. I applaud the initial exploration with their customers to find out what people really wanted. That is a good thing for a company to do. The mistake was announcing it the way they did as if it was a done deal they were doing something. If they'd have announced it as an exploration where they wanted to find out what customers wanted and would then decide what got implemented, if anything, then everybody would understand. Some might still be disappointed that nothing got built, but at least folks would understand the intent of the original communication.

Exactly:D
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Thinking about all this some more, I'd wager that this thread is one reason we don't get to see "the list" now.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter