Options

Get ready to sell stock photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    Seems to me most of the photogs on SM
    We have hundreds of thousands - but how many have you heard from here on Dgrin?

Again, not saying we won't and can't improve (always can!) or that we're not watching and listening closely to the folks here on Dgrin (you included!) but we do have gobs of customers that write us all the time, tops in search results, making money, selling, collecting money from us. I know, because the Countess of Cash sends out $Millions each year to them. deal.gif
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Shouldn't have
    Shouldn't have used the term "most". My bad. In reflection I meant to write some. Too rushed, sorry about that.

Markjay

Andy wrote:
    We have hundreds of thousands - but how many have you heard from here on Dgrin?

Again, not saying we won't and can't improve (always can!) or that we're not watching and listening closely to the folks here on Dgrin (you included!) but we do have gobs of customers that write us all the time, tops in search results, making money, selling, collecting money from us. I know, because the Countess of Cash sends out $Millions each year to them. deal.gif
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    Shouldn't have used the term "most". My bad. In reflection I meant to write some. Too rushed, sorry about that.

Markjay
    Heh - no worries Mark! And thanks for being of of those "first" hundreds of thousands :D
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Are we planning anything special for the 2 year anniversary of this thread?
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:

Hahaha....that's too funny.

I can't believe my 2 year old daughter is born after this thread was started
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Yeah. Planning on Coupons and Packages which we shoved in front of this. Thanks!

By the way, beetle, on some things we're slow and methodical but we'll get there on most! You've been here a while, did you know we're up to 45 employees? We've been hiring Sorcerers while most of Silicon Valley is contracting.

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    RE; anniversary
    And after the coupons and packages....
    will the stock offering at least be offered before the next anniversary?
    I'm not asking for a date..... just a nod it will be before the next anniv.

One might also take it, you feel it is not as important as other projects since you put coupons and packages before it. Could you see how one might interpret it that way? :D

Andy wrote:
    Yeah. Planning on Coupons and Packages which we shoved in front of this. Thanks!

By the way, beetle, on some things we're slow and methodical but we'll get there on most! You've been here a while, did you know we're up to 45 employees? We've been hiring Sorcerers while most of Silicon Valley is contracting.

wave.gif
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy, you can call me Keith,

Are you looking for help? :-)

Did you just bring up coupons and packages? I had given up hope.

I'm behind on the lingo, heros work support, are the sorcerers doing the coding?

I would hope that SM has tabled (for good) the idea of a formal stock photo offering, your resources would definitely be better spent elsewhere (coupons and packages). Photoshelter had to have given some insight into that.

My list of things I'd like to see before SmugStock
    coupons and packages
    video sales
    support telephone #
    candy on my birthday
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    And after the coupons and packages....
    will the stock offering at least be offered before the next anniversary?
    I'm not asking for a date..... just a nod it will be before the next anniv.

One might also take it, you feel it is not as important as other projects since you put coupons and packages before it. Could you see how one might interpret it that way? :D

It is definitely not as important as coupons and packages, we have been begging for those before this thread was started.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:

wave.gif
    the second anniversary is next mont, does that mean we will see coupons and packaes in time for me to build them into my sales plan for summer?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    the second anniversary is next mont, does that mean we will see coupons and packaes in time for me to build them into my sales plan for summer?
    Hi Beetle, we don't give dates, I'm sorry. But Coupons and Packages are in active development by two of SmugMug's Sorcerers right now.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy.........
    You know I have the utmost respect for you.... you are an amazing person with all you do! Frankly I don't even know how you do it! :-)

But I'm going to have to be a little bit harsh on you today because this evasiveness is getting a little on the side of... well, borderline annoying.

I asked a question above which I'm confident you read but have chosen to ignore... it was a direct reply to one of your posts in this thread.
    It's not like you to totally ignore something but, this discussion of the stock photo offering has lingered on so long and even when I'm not even asking you for a date (because I respect your policy not to give dates for rollouts) you continue to be stubborn about even letting me know if is your intent for this to happen" before the next anniversary of this thread. That's an entire year.... and I'm not even asking for a date, I'm just asking if you'll have this within 12 months, somewhere, some time.
    If you are that unsure, you can just say:
    no, I don't think we'll have this before the next anniversary of this post.

It is not my intent to "beat up on you here" but when you tell your customers to "get ready" for something, in most situations I feel confident customers expect some enlightenment on this well before the 2 year mark. Imagine.....

One of your suppliers telling you to "get ready" for a product you find great value in........

and then never hear another peep about (when it's rollout) it for two years and counting!
    and you keep asking them when and they tell you.....
    sorry bud, can't tell ya.
    and then you ask it is really in the works......
    and they tell you why sure it is.
    and they you ask them well can't you give me a block of time when we might expect this....
    and they tell ya, sorry we can't do that

If you are having problems with this, just say we are having problems and want to work out the kinks first......
    something!

Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?
    With all due respect........ show us some respect. Please.
    Keep an even keel now and reply :-)

Thank you and good night,
    Markjay

Andy wrote:
    Hi Beetle, we don't give dates, I'm sorry. But Coupons and Packages are in active development by two of SmugMug's Sorcerers right now.
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Markjay wrote:
    You know I have the utmost respect for you..

I don't have an answer for that question, Mark, I'm very sorry.

I wish we'd never started this thread, I can tell you that.

We want to have this feature - there are things that have to fall into place first.
    Baldy wrote:
    but it's software...if we run into snags there could be delays.
    That was baldy in post #1.

I'm very sorry to all of you. My advice is to let this go until we have some more to say on it, thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Sorry that's funny, :-)

I too have grand respect for you Andy, and don't even remotely envy your job, regardless of compensation.

Related to your response Andy, I do believe I called for this thread to be locked at some point last year.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    I do believe I called for this thread to be locked at some point last year.
    :nah we don't do that here on Dgrin. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    That was cool
    Very cool, calm and collective of you, Andy.

I think it really is time to "let this go" until further notice.
    I'm sorry I bothered you with this... again.

And don't worry about "wishing you guys had not started this thread'...
    there are many of us who have started a thread we later regret having started and, I for one can say I'm one of them. lol

Stay loose,
    Markjay
    Andy wrote:
    I don't have an answer for that question, Mark, I'm very sorry.

We want to have this feature - there are things that have to fall into place first.

That was baldy in post #1.

I'm very sorry to all of you. My advice is to let this go until we have some more to say on it, thanks!
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Just walk away like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack when the priest gets struck by lightning.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    So when are we getting stock photos then?headscratch.gif

Only jokingmwink.gifrofl
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Soon after the soon to be released packages.
  • Options
    aledataledat Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:

wave.gif
    Any Sorcerer positions open?
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Guys,

You have got to get busy with the stock licensing refinements. Someone on another list was asking for a web site recommendation and I recommended SmugMug - as always. Here is one of the replies:

"I am working with TheImagefile at the moment to try to get a suitable
    download/stock licensing method added along with decor print sales - at the
    moment, they are trying to push towards a Smugmug style RF licence (which only
    works with model/property released material and offers no option for editorial
    and illustrative sales)."

"A SmugMug style RF license"!! That is not the reputation you want to have.
    Come up with a RM license and you'll have photographers beating a path to
    SmugMug! As it is, this person elected to go with PhotoShelter.

Look at PLUS or License Stream if you need ideas. Please come up with this
    soon or I may have to jump ship, too. :cry

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com

</pre>
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Happy to Wait Until You're Ready
    I've been reading this thread for some time now, as I'm sure many others have as well.

It looks like Andy and SM in general have been taking a beating.

I understand the frustration, but, really, isn't it better to wait until things are ready?

SM is such a great place that I have 100% trust that they are doing all they can on this. I'd much rather continue to work with other stock sites until SM feels its product is up to Smug standards.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    Why am I so compelled to reply to this topic?

If they want to sell stock photography why are they going to Photoshelter? Earlier in this thread there was a whole uprising that ran off to PS because they were tired of waiting for SM. Shortly there after this news came along.

Ask the laid off Getty employees what the state of RM images is right now.

Andy, wouldn't it be nice if this topic accidentally fell in the trash?
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I've been reading this thread for some time now, as I'm sure many others have as well.

It looks like Andy and SM in general have been taking a beating.

I understand the frustration, but, really, isn't it better to wait until things are ready?

SM is such a great place that I have 100% trust that they are doing all they can on this. I'd much rather continue to work with other stock sites until SM feels its product is up to Smug standards.

I know I know next to nothing about this topic, a perspective shared I suspect by many, so maybe many also share my POV: that Stock is a potential minefield business to get into both for the photogs and SM

It might even be better to set it up as a separate business so that if it crashed it wouldn't take SM with it, but that wouldn't work as everyone wants SM to do it under the SM banner (I Imagine), and I imagine lots else, but the fact is only those in the business will know what decisions to make and when to make them; so I trust that if SM do,it will be fine, and if they don't , that's fine with me too ( because there'll be good reasons for them not to)

Far better they apply their fine minds to it and arrive at whatever conclusion they see fit, as and when, than my trying to second guess or offer advice (heaven forfend!) or criticise the time it's takingmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Andy, wouldn't it be nice if this topic accidentally fell in the trash?
    Why? We like to hear from our customers. We wanted to do this when we started this thread, then some things changed as far as timing. Doesn't dampen at all our desire to want to listedn to you and all of our customers :D
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    aledat wrote:
    Any Sorcerer positions open?
    It depends - shoot me a resume to our help desk - ATTN: Andy
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    "If they want to sell stock photography why are they going to Photoshelter? Earlier in this thread there was a whole uprising that ran off to PS because they were tired of waiting for SM. Shortly there after this news came along."

Only the Photoshelter stock agency shut down. It is now a web site for photographers to sell their own work, much like SmugMug but with the ability to download and license stock photos, including RM. Check it out:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/artwolfe

Click on Cart under any of the photos and then choose the Download tab. It couldn't be easier for buyers. You may not think this is important but some of us make a living leasing stock photos.

Tina Manley
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    Adam SchallauAdam Schallau Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I'm sure a number of photographers on SmugMug have read Photoshelter's Photo Buyer Survey. This survey clearly demonstrates the direction we as photographers need to go if we are going to survive and thrive in this market of stock photography. I'd like to think that Andy and Team SmugMug can make this happen by providing us with a vehicle for licensing Rights Managed stock.

Just think of the number of photographers that would migrate to SmugMug if this service became a reality.

Adam Schallau

Website | Facebook | Grand Canyon Photography Workshops | In the Bag

photographing the landscape, culture and spirit of the American West
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    "If they want to sell stock photography why are they going to Photoshelter? Earlier in this thread there was a whole uprising that ran off to PS because they were tired of waiting for SM. Shortly there after this news came along."

Only the Photoshelter stock agency shut down. It is now a web site for photographers to sell their own work, much like SmugMug but with the ability to download and license stock photos, including RM. Check it out:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/artwolfe

Click on Cart under any of the photos and then choose the Download tab. It couldn't be easier for buyers. You may not think this is important but some of us make a living leasing stock photos.

Tina Manley
    www.tinamanley.com
    Because they have a pre-made license agreement upon checkout? You could do that yourself with a myriad of different services. If your argument is that PS is drawing a crowd for RM stock or any stock for that matter, I would expect them to be on the first page of a google search, but they are not. The site that I sell my stock images on is though, twice in the top 4 listings. But that's just RF microstock. I'd like to know how much money the people who told me I was stupid and didn't have much business sense for selling there made at PS since the middle of this thread. Chase Jarvis commented at a PS sponsored event that the world of photography was evolving and we were going to have to rethink the way we viewed the industry. He kind of half heartedly put down microstock at that point, but since then PS's model has failed.
    The fact is, the industry is going to continue to change at an exponetial rate.
    Just think of the camera you were holding ten years ago, then 5 years ago, and now. Just think of what's changed since this thread started.
    Honestly I'm surprised microstock is even selling as well as it is right now, with the availability of images today. The only reason I can come up with is QC, tons of searchable images in one place with strict QC.
    You can sell RF to your established customers through PS but you don't need PS to do it and I doubt you can convince me that PS is offering you any new customers, at least not more than a random acident.
    Andy wrote:
    Why? We like to hear from our customers. We wanted to do this when we started this thread, then some things changed as far as timing. Doesn't dampen at all our desire to want to listedn to you and all of our customers :D
    I know, I wish I had your eternal passiveness, you're a good man Andy. thumb.gif