Options

>>> SF#1 finalists List, vote for your favorite!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    The number of voters is suspiciously similar to a number of LPS players. It's possible that we somehow managed to set the bar so high that many people lost interest simply because they don't feel they are in the same league anymore.

I can honestly say that only a few years ago this whole LPS thingie would have been *WAY* above my head and I probably would not have paid much attention to it. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    My guess is that having a vote only once a quarter means people who aren't participating aren't showing up in this forum as often as they used to.
    This is true for me. There is no need for me to regularly come to this forum anymore, except curiosity.
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's possible that we somehow managed to set the bar so high that many people lost interest simply because they don't feel they are in the same league anymore.
    This is also true for me. Though for me it's less of the former ("lost interest") and more of the latter ("not in the same league").
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Yes, something doesn't compute. There have been over 1,600 views but only 145 votes. headscratch.gif Obvioiusly, there is a healthy curiousity factor that goes beyond the folks who have entered LPS, but for some reason they are not voting. Maybe it's because making a choice is too difficult. Maybe there should be a reminder at the top of the forum that becoming a dGrin member is easy as well as cost and pain free. Plus then you can put in your $0.02 worth and VOTE. Beats me what the problem is, but there does seem to be a problem. ne_nau.gif

Email
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    There have been over 1,600 views but only 145 votes. headscratch.gif
    Maybe the same ~150 people kept coming back to check the vote totals? mwink.gif

I know I've visited this thread at least a half dozen times myself.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 30, 2007
    comments duly noted. remember, it's the first time through... like a good scientist, I'm recording my observations. nod.gif

But gina has hit the nail on the head... why aren't the viewers voting?

To dispel any myths:
    thread viewers - you CAN vote! so DO IT, just pick your favorite photo!!! clap.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Don't know if it would be too much work, but why not add a Sticky to the top of each and every Forum on DGrin, saying something like: "Please Help! We Need Your Vote!", with a direct link to the voting thread (as well as a brief explanation about the contest)?

That way, people who never venture into the Contests forum would know to take a peek (and hopefully vote). I'd even mention that the voting is anonymous, for those who might worry about such things.

Or, perhaps even simpler: is there a way to send a message/PM/e-mail to every registered DGrin member, asking them to vote? (again, with a direct link to the thread). Programmatically, that's probably easier than putting a Sticky in every forum.

Finally, I agree about the many views and few votes: I keep coming back to this thread to see how my "horse" is doing, and I'm sure everyone else is doing the same, so I'm sure that adds up to many views from the same people!
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    Don't know if it would be too much work, but why not add a Sticky to the top of each and every Forum on DGrin
    we have used sitewide announcements in the past... for the dgrin photo of the year. turns out it didn't help much, but worth a try. I'll add one.
    is there a way to send a message/PM/e-mail to every registered DGrin member, asking them to vote?
    it may be an "internal" PM, but we at Dgrin still consider that spam. major no-no. we will never spam you, promise.

thanks for the suggestions.
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Holy cow, these are great.

Everyone one of you is a winner, regardless of the outcome.

Nice job!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    As a newbie and one that actually did keep coming back out of curiosity; value of learning; and yes voting, I think you have two possible problems reflected in the numbers:

Promotion:
    The forum is so full of content that even stickies will be lost. Continual promotion of the process and voting dates needs to take a higher profile across the entire forum. Plus it should stand out from merely being another post. Off hand the obvious spot is in the top banner/flag head. During key parts of the contest this should change and be a very obvious to draw attention to what is going on in the Contest forum. Not ideal and with similar spam concerns that Erik mentioned (which I appreciate your stand on) is to do pop-ups but for all the reasons we know why this may be another bad idea, use with caution.

Confusion & Complexity:
    As I was one of these rolleyes1.gif I believe the complexities of the contest have put some off from engaging. Yes, it is understandable if you spend the time to do so but the volume of questions I have read over the rules indicates this is a weak part of the contest. My work is within convention planning and we deal with this issue continually. We strive year after year to make all forms and processes as clean and direct as possible so as to take away any and all obstacles that may make it confusing for participation or attendance. I have read and sensed some of the same frustration in responding to these type of questions from the forum members as I have had in the past with convention work. Our first and natural response in convention work is to blame the attendee or exhibitor for not reading what we feel is obvious and clearly written out. However, after going through this process year after year and having our heads knocked around more than once, you get a bit wiser and accept the reality of your audience and find ways to adapt to that reality for the sake of all involved.

I think Erik and Shay have been doing a stellar job and trust neither of them take offense to my comments. I have been in the same situation dozens of times and commend them for how well they are taking everyone through the process. I am merely making an observation from my own work and experience that may be helpful. I really like what you guys are doing here and want to see it succeed as there is real value in the effort.

All IMHO and with a whole nickle of thought this round.
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Thanks to the Semi-Finalist

While the bar was high, the results were superb.

It is quite interesting to learn of some of my own unimagined limits... everyone sees thru such different perceptions.
    This exercise is certainly worth its weight in effort...

And, some of you 'guys' really have spectacular places in which to shoot.

Congratulations!!!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Hi,

I've been one of those viewing this post several times before voting. They are all excellent shots and it's taken me this long to decide.rolleyes1.gif

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Maybe not many people voted because they didn't see anything that they wanted to vote for. I definitely wouldn't vote if I didn't like my choices. If I had to choose between presidential candidates and none of them spoke to my political needs/wants, I'd sit the election out. It's the same here. I'm not trying to be inflammatory (we all know I've been there) I just don't think we should expect people to vote for stuff they don't like. I liked one of the choices and the other nine didn't appeal to me at all, but that's my taste. There's nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    jmearnsjmearns Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    My 2 cents
    How do dGrinners know that there is a contest going on and that NOW is the time to vote? I've been following the contest (and participating, and voting) but I didn't know when the polling started. And, if I had not participated in the "Losers" challenge - which kept me looking at the site for the past two weeks, and periodically taking a peek at what was going on in the semi-final - I don't think I would have had any idea that it was "Time".

Do you not ever notify dGrinners via email of happenings on the site? I, for one, wouldn't find it intrusive (SPAM) to be notified that a deadline was coming up, or a contest had started or ended - and announcing the winners. Perhaps that's a mailing list that we could sign up for?

One other thought/question, since I'm talking - is there any way to view the photos in the contest in some sort of gallery, so seeing all the entries doesn't involve paging and scolling through the entry thread?

Now - on to shooting "Curves and Angles" for the next two weeks.

Jeri
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    damonff wrote:
    I just don't think we should expect people to vote for stuff they don't like.

I agree. When the contest first started I mentioned that we would not be begging for participation. If you want to participate, the contest is open to you, if not, I hope at least you enjoy viewing the gallery from time to time.

But I can see that we need to extended that to the voting as well. So in the future, we won't be begging for people to vote, we will only make it known that the voting period is open to any who wish to participate.

There is little worse than obligatory participation, in anything :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    jmearns wrote:
    One other thought/question, since I'm talking - is there any way to view the photos in the contest in some sort of gallery, so seeing all the entries doesn't involve paging and scolling through the entry thread?

Yes, the following link is in the first entry in this very thread:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2897852
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    jmearnsjmearns Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Ahh - thank you so much
    This will certainly make playing more fun!

Thanks,
    Jeri
  • Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    it may be an "internal" PM, but we at Dgrin still consider that spam. major no-no. we will never spam you, promise.

thanks for the suggestions.
    I am completely set against spam and appreciate the dgrin policy on that subject. But spam is messages I didn’t ask for. I can’t see anything wrong with having reminders sent out to anyone that agrees to it.
    Robert
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Messaging & Notification
    Receive EmailFrom time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option. Receive Email from Administrators
    You can allow other members to send you email messages.Receive Email from
    If I didn't want notification, I could turn it off.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    I am completely set against spam and appreciate the dgrin policy on that subject. But spam is messages I didn’t ask for. I can’t see anything wrong with having reminders sent out to anyone that agrees to it.
    We toyed with using the calendar feature, where you could subscribe to LPS events, and have a reminder sent. But that's the thing, those who will subscribe to the event, will most likely show up anyway.

I like the point that was made earlier, and I guess I've changed my mind: I guess we don't need everyone to vote. We pulled in lots of good shooters, we'll pull in what we can for voters and be happy with it. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Congratulations!
    Congrats Thomas for an awesome image and winning the big prize! I wish I could find locations like that here in Southern California. I'm still looking. I'm also in awe of your tall ship photos, but thats another story...

Also to the top ten and everyone else in the semi-final, excellent work! I'm sure it was tough for the judges to pick the top ten.

And finally, thanks to the judges and everyone else that took time out to vote. I believe I can speak for everyone in saying we appreciate the effort you put forth!

thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Offering Congratulations
    I just wanted to say congrats to Seastack, vandana and annnna8888 for placing first, second and third in the open vote (and getting the big prizes!). Well done to the other finalists too! It was a close race and fun to watch!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Yes. Three fantastic images! Congratulations to all the finalists.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Well folks, congrats and thanks to all!!

Here's the final tally, sorted:

seastack - Edge of Tides 41 20.71%
    vandana - "Soaring high" 36 18.18%
    annnna8888 - Sunrise colors 23 11.62%
    sherstone - " Rail Meat " 20 10.10%
    Tessa HD - Just One More 16 8.08%
    photogmomma - In her eyes... 16 8.08%
    bgaras2001 - Sweeet 15 7.58%
    BeachBill - Day's End 12 6.06%
    Swartzy - Metropolitan Mood 11 5.56%
    rddphotos - Cruisin the California Coast 8 4.04%

*Winners, check your PM's thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Congratulations!
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well folks, congrats and thanks to all!!

Here's the final tally, sorted:

seastack - Edge of Tides 41 20.71%
    vandana - "Soaring high" 36 18.18%
    annnna8888 - Sunrise colors 23 11.62%
    sherstone - " Rail Meat " 20 10.10%
    Tessa HD - Just One More 16 8.08%
    photogmomma - In her eyes... 16 8.08%
    bgaras2001 - Sweeet 15 7.58%
    BeachBill - Day's End 12 6.06%
    Swartzy - Metropolitan Mood 11 5.56%
    rddphotos - Cruisin the California Coast 8 4.04%

*Winners, check your PM's thumb.gif

See you guys in SF2 mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    See you guys in SF2 mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif, Beware the Dark Side! :D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Congratulations Thomas for a marvelous entry and Vandana for a close race to the finish coming in 2nd. All 10 entries were worthy of winning.......seriously!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Congratulations!
    Was great fun to watch how the voting went.

congrats to Thomas on the win!

and to everyone else in the top 10, amazing work! clap.gif
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    This is true for me. There is no need for me to regularly come to this forum anymore, except curiosity.

I didn't enter in any of the challenges. I have many excuses, but that's my problem. I still came, I still voted, I still learned, and I still got ideas from other creative minds. Certainly worth a few clicks here and there.
    This is also true for me. Though for me it's less of the former ("lost interest") and more of the latter ("not in the same league").
    There are still 3 more rounds to picque your interest. If you don't feel you're in the same league, why not try to emmulate the shots posted in the challenge. Ask questions. You will learn so much and before you know it, you too will be getting shots that you feel worthy of entering. You might even qualify in one of the rounds.

/end of pep talk mwink.gif

Congrats to Seastack, Vandana and Anna. Great work and well deserved recognition.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Hat's off to all! Great first semifinal clap.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Congratulations!
    Congratulations seastack on winning SF1 along with vandana and annnna8888 rounding out the top three! I feel that everyone did a great job and keep up the great work! You really do inspire us all. I don't think that this competition is going to get any easier either. As we all strive to improve our work I think that the competition is just going to get tougher.

Thanks to Shay, DoctorIt, all of the judges, and DGrinners for making this possible. It definitely is a one of a kind photography contest. There will be only one......last photographer standing.

Maybe we will all be able to get some sleep once the competition is over.
    Todd