Mark III focusing issues???

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited September 28, 2007 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

I've been drooling over the Mark III's specs since it was announced. If Nikon didn't come out with a improved D2H model by the end of this year I was/am seriously considering a switch.

I've been very impressed with some of the images I've seen from the camera but I've been hearing about focusing issues with the Mark III like those here

Normally I don't put much stock in complaints from users of new cameras but the OP of the linked thread is Fabs who I've shot with and is IMHO one of the best bird shooters I know. I should be shooting with her later today or tomorrow and will see if I can get more info.

Are there any Mark III owners out there who can shed some light?
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Harry, from what little I've been gathering, it seems there are a quite a few quality control problems with the Mark III from various forums. I've read some lens compatibility issues, focus issues, shutter problems and even complaints about the cheap screw on cover for the adapter socket falling off.

It seems like the first batch of production issued cameras are not holding up to standards for quite a few people. But, I imagine the quality control will get better once the bugs are finally solved. It kind of makes me wonder though... could this be the reason Canon has been slow to mass-release the camera?

Remember, the 28-105 f4 had some serious QC issues for that first batch and it recovered nicely. Obviously, I'd say, be leery of snagging a copy of the Mark III from EBay or a company that doesnt have a good return policy just in case you run into one of these faulty ones.

On the bright side, I've heard wonders about the awesomeness of the camera in low light/high ISO mode thumb.gif

Personally, I'd be stunned if I got my hands on a copy of a Mark III before August btw...
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 13, 2007
    As I read that thread Harry, this seems limited to bird-in-flight shooters. Apparently there has been no complaints from sports shooters or motor sport shooters. SOmething to do with the subjects size relative ot the background, especially a high contrast background, which is always challenging for AF systems.

This is interesting and needs to be followed. If this is a genreal experience, we will begin hearing about it here too I would expect.

When did the Mklll begin shipping?

Harry, using a Canon??- whatever is the world coming too??!!:D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    As I read that thread Harry, this seems limited to bird-in-flight shooters. Apparently there has been no complaints from sports shooters or motor sport shooters. SOmething to do with the subjects size relative ot the background, especially a high contrast background, which is always challenging for AF systems.

This is interesting and needs to be followed. If this is a genreal experience, we will begin hearing about it here too I would expect.

When did the Mklll begin shipping?

Harry, using a Canon??- whatever is the world coming too??!!:D:D

Its a big issue for me since I've been known to do a BIF every now and then. biggrinbounce2.gif

Hopefully it will not be a product wide issue or if it is one that can be resolved via a firmware update.

I've got no brand loyalty at all. Now that Canon has finally caught up to Nikon with the Mark III :poke rolleyes1.gif I have to consider it if Nikon doesn't come out with some new bodies by the end of the year.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    It kind of makes me wonder though... could this be the reason Canon has been slow to mass-release the camera?

Somebody on another forum I'm on said a while back that the focusing issue was the reason for the slower release, as the topic came up there shortly after the Mark III was available.

Philip
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    The Mark III has new focus-assist points - maybe it's user-settable mistake?

Harry and Canon? C'mon, buddy, say it: I was right and you were wrong - c'mon, you can do it lol3.gif

Attached is from p19 of the MK III White Paper.
    edited June 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The Mark III has new focus-assist points - maybe it's user-settable mistake?

Harry and Canon? C'mon, buddy, say it: I was right and you were wrong - c'mon, you can do it lol3.gif

Attached is from p19 of the MK III White Paper.

Nope, Fabs is aware of the new focus-assist points.

Hey, I haven't switched and probably won't. Any current advantage (a dubious one if there are focusing issues) may be temporary. Maybe the focusing issues Rod G experienced weren't due to a pre-production camera. That's why I'm waiting till the end of the year. Even if I get the Mark III I'll probably be hanging on to my Nikon gear.

Don't forget when I bought my first DSLR I went with the Nikon D100 because of the 10D's focusing issues.
    Harry
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

I've been drooling over the Mark III's specs since it was announced. If Nikon didn't come out with a improved D2H model by the end of this year I was/am seriously considering a switch.

I've been very impressed with some of the images I've seen from the camera but I've been hearing about focusing issues with the Mark III like those here

Normally I don't put much stock in complaints from users of new cameras but the OP of the linked thread is Fabs who I've shot with and is IMHO one of the best bird shooters I know. I should be shooting with her later today or tomorrow and will see if I can get more info.

Are there any Mark III owners out there who can shed some light?

I would think that your installed base of lenses would make switching from one brand to the other fairly prohibitive. Compared to investments in glass, the bodies are relatively cheap.

Of course, selling everything and rebuying new product is exciting - but lets face it even "L" type glass from Canon or Nikon only holds so much value.

Accessories like tripods are interchangable between brands, but lenses and flashes tend to be brand specific.

I cannot imagine that any serious photog would take changing brands lightly, unless there were major differances in performance.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    I would think that your installed base of lenses would make switching from one brand to the other fairly prohibitive. Compared to investments in glass, the bodies are relatively cheap.

Of course, selling everything and rebuying new product is exciting - but lets face it even "L" type glass from Canon or Nikon only holds so much value.

Accessories like tripods are interchangable between brands, but lenses and flashes tend to be brand specific.

I cannot imagine that any serious photog would take changing brands lightly, unless there were major differances in performance.

Haven't you heard, Harry is retired and has money to burn! :D
    edited June 13, 2007
    Harry knows that my 300-800 is an EOS mount, that'sall:D :D

I have been looking forward to the 1DMkll since its prerelease reviews, as I am sure a lot of us here have been. EVEN Harry:D

I think Canon WILL get the AF issues, if they are real, solved and fixed.

It is funny that we have not heard from NFL shooters or others about this issue, isn't it?

edited June 13, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Haven't you heard, Harry is retired and has money to burn! :D

nod.gif

My plan is to spend it all before my son can get his hands on the $.
    Harry
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Nope, Fabs is aware of the new focus-assist points.

Hey, I haven't switched and probably won't. Any current advantage (a dubious one if there are focusing issues) may be temporary. Maybe the focusing issues Rod G experienced weren't due to a pre-production camera. That's why I'm waiting till the end of the year. Even if I get the Mark III I'll probably be hanging on to my Nikon gear.

Don't forget when I bought my first DSLR I went with the Nikon D100 because of the 10D's focusing issues.
    You are no fun today!

blbl.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 13, 2007
    I'm curious to hear how this works out.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You are no fun today!

blbl.gif

Hell, I'm talented and pretty and now you want me to be fun too. :crazy If you want fun you better raise my salary. deal.gif
    Harry
    edited June 13, 2007
    Harry, I found this link on Reichman's website - it is the settings used by Andy Biggs for his 1DMklll. The AF settings near the bottom of the link may be of interest.

http://www.andybiggs.com/blog/my-canon-1dmkiii-configuration-settings/

• Jim VictoryJim Victory Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I have had my MKIII for a little over three weeks now and have put over 3K shots on it. I have not experienced any AF tracking difficulties with BIF nor has any other wildlife photographer I know.

I believe the problems that were cited on naturescapes were specific to BIF where the subject was coming at and away from the shooter. Most of the shots I have are panning with both blue sky and cluttered BG.

Since I own three copies of the 1DMKII and a 1DMKIIn I would have to say the new MKIII is as good if not better with AF tracking.

I don't doubt people are having problems but I certainly don't think it is widespread. You get your share of defective products coming off an assembly line and with the small number in circulation it may seem more prevalent.

I have a sports photography business so that is what I use my cameras for and no one in the business is complaining about the MKIII. Believe me they would if there was a problem because you don't have time to fool with a non-responsive camera during a sporting event.

Wildlife Photography is fun for me but I take it just as seriously as sports. Shooting 100,000+ frames a year during sporting events on various 1 series cameras allows me some familiarity with those cameras and the MKIII is different. I have tried to move most of my settings over to the MKIII from the 1DMKIIn but I have had to tweak some of those settings for it to work right. The more I use it and understand what the settings do the better it gets.
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    http://www.victoryphoto.net
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Since I own three copies of the 1DMKII and a 1DMKIIn I would have to say the new MKIII is as good if not better with AF tracking.

You realize you just made yourself one of the most hated users on this forum? :D

3K shots in 3 weeks?:yikes note to self, don't buy used bodies from Jim.

re: Harry going to Canon...I hear they are gearing up for a snowball fight downstairs, just waiting on Harry's final word. blbl.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    You realize you just made yourself one of the most hated users on this forum? :D

re: Harry going to Canon...I hear they are gearing up for a snowball fight downstairs, just waiting on Harry's final word. blbl.gif

I think I just saw a pig this morning on my way to work. It was acting a little strange, jumping up and down, almost like it was getting ready to fly! eek7.gif
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Canon use
    Is the a lot of messy surgical type stuff that occurs when you change a Nikonian into a Canonite? thumb.gif Out side of surgically removing all cash and credit? Is it painful? How long would recovery take? Will there be drug therapies? Please tell.ne_nau.gif
    Regards, David
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited June 14, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I think I just saw a pig this morning on my way to work. It was acting a little strange, jumping up and down, almost like it was getting ready to fly! eek7.gif

Its a possibility guys. Depending on which rumor is a true about Nikon's next offering. One rumor is about a 16 or 24 MP near full frame (1.1) "ubercamera" coming out that will cost around $8K+. If that's true I don't see myself spending that kind of money for a camera not to mention the computer upgrades I would need. For the same $ I can buy a Mark III & a 300F/4 and a 100-400 and give Canon a try. I would keep my current Nikon gear and then see which i liked better.

So it all depends on what Nikon is preping for release. If I did go over to the dark side I would of course assume a new identity. :ivar
    Harry
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 14, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    ... If I did go over to the dark side I would of course assume a new identity. :ivar

"Dirty Harryb"?

(Nobody would ever figure that out. thumb.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 14, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    "Dirty Harryb"?

(Nobody would ever figure that out. thumb.gif)

Probably Tony Bennett or Perry Como since somebody got to Andy Williams already. :D
    Harry
    edited June 14, 2007

I have staff shooters that use the other cameras so the business owns them.:D

It is easy to get 800-1000 shots in one game so 3k in three weeks is not that much. I have been gentle with it because it is my personal camera.mwink.gif
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    edited June 14, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    If I did go over to the dark side I would of course assume a new identity. :ivar

I'm confusedeek7.gif

Wouldn't that be going to the Light Side since your already on the Dark Side?:D

Nikon makes some nice equipment. The D2x is still one of the best for wildlife. I would have probably moved over myself if they had put VR on their long teles.
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    edited June 14, 2007
    When you shoot at 8 frames per second, you can run through hundreds of shots very, very quickly.

I am not saying that is what you do, but many of the shooters on the sidelines are shooting in high frame rate mode quite frequently

I am very glad to hear a dissenting voice about AF issues with the 1DMKlll also, as it has been on my shopping list for some time.

• FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    1dmk3 Af
    Iv'e had my MK3 for almost three weeks now, at 1st I was having all kinds of issues with foucus and tracking until I figured this baby out.

coming from a 20-30D may be I'm not hung up on old settings vs new, I believe that a lot of these issues stem from a lack of understanding of the CFn111 settings on the MK3.

After many hours of tweaking my camera now works like a dream, I don't really know why, I'm not a techno type, I just know what works and what don't, so through the process of elimination My camera is now set and glued down:D

I posted these shots at DPreview, no tracking problems here

162300198-L.jpg

162300372-L.jpg
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/
    edited June 14, 2007
    I'm confusedeek7.gif

Wouldn't that be going to the Light Side since your already on the Dark Side?:D

Nikon makes some nice equipment. The D2x is still one of the best for wildlife. I would have probably moved over myself if they had put VR on their long teles.

Nah Canon will always be the dark side. They just won't ever admit to a mistake. They never officially acknowledged the focusing issues on the 10D and the same apparantly happened (at least from what I heard from various users) with the Mark II that was fixed with the Mark IIn). At least when Nikon screws up they acknowledge it.

Right now if Nikon doesn't come out with an improved D2H they could lose a lot of folks. All the bird shooters loved the D2H(s) but felt too limited by the 4 MP. If Nikon comes out with an improved D2H with 8-10 MP and with better noise handling they will keep us forever. To shoot with a D2H was a marvelous experience. The D2X is terrific but it just doesn't handle as well as a D2H. If you check out some of the threads on the Nikon Cafe there is a long line of outstanding shooters who are considering making the switch if Nikon doesn't come up with an improved D2H.
    Harry
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 14, 2007
    Nice shots there, Froggy!!! thumb.gif

However, once again the problem is being described as being able to track a BIF moving directly toward you, or away from you. Both of yours shots are pans. Amazingly good pans, mind you.

-joel
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    I have staff shooters that use the other cameras so the business owns them.:D

It is easy to get 800-1000 shots in one game so 3k in three weeks is not that much. I have been gentle with it because it is my personal camera.mwink.gif

I'm still jealous. :bluduh

I understand how the frame count can pile up. When I get a busy weekend I can add thousands to mine; one event added 8k last year and 12k this year over a week each. I just have the camera sit for a while in between.

Oh, and Harrys new identity: my first thought was Darth Harry. mwink.gif
    edited June 15, 2007
    I was out shooting at the Wetlands today and I ran into 4 Canonites with the Mark III. The first pair said that initially they were unhappy with the focusing for flight shots and were considering returning the camera. After some conversations with Canon techs (who they said were very aware of the issue) they changed the tracking sensitivity to its slow setting and used the inner 9 focal points and the results were better.

I then ran into Fabs and her partner and Fabs had tried those settings w/o satisfactory results. Her partner said that he was happier with the camera but expected a firmware update.

Everybody raved about the camera's IQ and ISO performance but the consensus seemed to be that the Mark II focused better, at least for flight shots.
    Harry
  • imageswestimageswest Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Canon CPS had allotted two Mark III's for me, but after hearing Rob Galbraith wasn't convinced that his production camera autofocused much better than his test model did, I elected to pass on them.

I'm hearing lots of problems with the camera, including a pro dealer in Germany who apparently sent his entire shipment back to Canon because quite a few of his customers were demanding refunds. It amazes me how Canon seems to do this with every new camera they release... rolleyes1.gif