Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Apparently this guy wins a lot of Ultimate Fighting Championships.

He's not only a vegetarian, but a photographer as well thumb.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    :bash I ordered my Vita-Mix a week ago today. It said to expect up to 10 days for standard shipping, so I wasn't surprised. But then I realized I haven't gotten the "it shipped" email.

Turns out, it hasn't shipped yet. Customer service email reply to my questioning says "we give our warehouse 7 days to process the order, so this is normal". Well, it's not so normal to me! It's already been 7 days; assuming it ships tomorrow and takes 10 days to arrive that's almost 3 weeks from the day I ordered it!

For a company that markets their product as a premium item, their website/customer service leaves something to be desired. This isn't helping me convince SWMBO that it was a good idea to buy a $300 blender/garage door opener. :bluduh
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    breathe!

In with the good...

Out with the bad...

A year from now you'll barely remember this 3 weeks. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    breathe!

In with the good...

Out with the bad...

A year from now you'll barely remember this 3 weeks. thumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gifSorry, I just needed to vent and you guys were in the line of fire! :gun2

:D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    For those of you who have lost a significant amount of weight...

Did just going vegan do it, or did you go ETL/raw food?

I've been strict vegan for the last two weeks and I haven't lost a pound. The first week I even tracked my calories and stayed under 1500. My diet has consisted of mostly green and starchy vegetables/fruits, but have been eating whole grains (whole wheat pita), some oils for cooking (grapeseed, olive), limited avocados and nuts.

WTH? I guess I'm just going to have to eat kale and broccoli exclusively....headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I've been strict vegan for the last two weeks and I haven't lost a pound. The first week I even tracked my calories and stayed under 1500. My diet has consisted of mostly green and starchy vegetables/fruits, but have been eating whole grains (whole wheat pita), some oils for cooking (grapeseed, olive), limited avocados and nuts.

WTH? I guess I'm just going to have to eat kale and broccoli exclusively....headscratch.gif

I've lost ~30 lbs in 11 weeks.
    I cut out 99% of the oils and refined products (processed wheat/grains and sugars, including honey... basically to sweeten things we use fruit). I've not gone even vegetarian. I still eat chicken and fish weekly. I'd say in the past 11 weeks I've had maybe 5 servings of beef or pork. I'd estimate that my diet is following the ETL 90/10 (basically I "cheat" about once a week).

Hope that helps!
    Travis
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    I don't know if you'd call my losses significant or not, but I have lost about 10% of my body weight so far. I am probably 95% ETL. Certainly not as comitted as most folks in this thread, but I do take it seriously. HTH
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Lynne, I don't know the answer, as all I did was ETL. I lost 40lbs, and I attribute it all to the ETL guidelines. I exercised, but not nearly enough to make a different. It was all the diet. Thinner, healthier, betterer! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Ok, well that makes a little more sense. I've only read the China study, not ETL so I am only now realizing how much more restrictive ETL is versus just vegan/vegetarian. I thought I was doing awesome avoiding dairy and meat entirely, and I certainly feel better, but clearly not any thinner. :cry

Ugh, I hate feeling like I have to buy someone's book (only to find out it's a long ad for their products, supplements and gadgets) to lose weight, reminds me of every other diet out there! Inevitable I guess...rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Lynne, I also want to point out that I was somewhere between 205 and 210. So I've lost about 15% of my body weight, but that's how overweight I was. I know Steph hasn't lost 30 lbs in the same time, but then, she didn't weight >200lbs!

And David pointed out that he worked out, I just started going to the gym last week, so none of this weight loss was from exercise... I actually stopped doing my weekly workouts about 2 or 3 weeks before changing the way I eat.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Lynne, I also want to point out that I was somewhere between 205 and 210. So I've lost about 15% of my body weight, but that's how overweight I was. I know Steph hasn't lost 30 lbs in the same time, but then, she didn't weight >200lbs!

Well, I'm 5-11 and could certainly stand to lose 30lbs, even 50 wouldn't put me in danger of being underweight.....I was very fit before pregnancy, but just can't seem to get back there, although until the last 6 months or so I haven't been putting in concerted effort.

thanks for sharing!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ok, well that makes a little more sense. I've only read the China study, not ETL so I am only now realizing how much more restrictive ETL is versus just vegan/vegetarian. I thought I was doing awesome avoiding dairy and meat entirely, and I certainly feel better, but clearly not any thinner. :cry

Ugh, I hate feeling like I have to buy someone's book (only to find out it's a long ad for their products, supplements and gadgets) to lose weight, reminds me of every other diet out there! Inevitable I guess...rolleyes1.gif
    Lynne, don't be discouraged yet. I know what you mean about having to buy someone's book and in all honesty if so many good respectable people in this thread hadn't advocated ETL, I would have chucked it across the room because I dislike the tone and the gimmicky nature of it. But there's good information in there!

Veganism includes things like sugar and oil, lots of processed things. So plenty of junk foods can technically still fall under that category. I thought the diet outlined in the China Study was actually more restrictive than ETL (Campbell advocates never eating animal protein), but they both contain the same information. It's a life plan, not a marketing tool for a specific product... not even the Vitamix! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:

And David pointed out that he worked out, I just started going to the gym last week, so none of this weight loss was from exercise... I actually stopped doing my weekly workouts about 2 or 3 weeks before changing the way I eat.

I hardly exercised, and don't attribute any of my weight loss to it. That was my point.

I started out at 210 as well, and I was at 30 lbs. for a bit. The last ten have been very slow, but they came off. I've got a pretty healthy head start on you with this, I'm pretty sure, but it sounds like our stories are pretty similar!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I hardly exercised, and don't attribute any of my weight loss to it. That was my point.

I started out at 210 as well, and I was at 30 lbs. for a bit. The last ten have been very slow, but they came off. I've got a pretty healthy head start on you with this, I'm pretty sure, but it sounds like our stories are pretty similar!

Sorry, I intended what I said to support your weight loss without exercise comment. Not refute it.

Yeah, looks like we started in exactly the same place. Around 6'2" and 205-210, now I'm 175. Last time I checked my cholesterol was still high, so I've started working out to try and lower that number more.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Lynne, don't be discouraged yet. I know what you mean about having to buy someone's book and in all honesty if so many good respectable people in this thread hadn't advocated ETL, I would have chucked it across the room because I dislike the tone and the gimmicky nature of it. But there's good information in there!

.....It's a life plan, not a marketing tool for a specific product... not even the Vitamix! ;)

I was hesitant to make that post as I didn't want to offend anyone...and I *really do* buy into the plant-based lifestyle, which I've arrived at slowly but surely. I am glad I'm not alone in my initial impressions...I wonder if he's ever sold them door to door? Maybe he can get me on a payment plan...rolleyes1.gif

(And while I'm so excited about your recommended book Veganomicon, they are definitely not afraid to use sugar and white flour!) eek7.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

thank you for sharing your results! Congrats!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I was hesitant to make that post as I didn't want to offend anyone...and I *really do* buy into the plant-based lifestyle, which I've arrived at slowly but surely. I am glad I'm not alone in my initial impressions...I wonder if he's ever sold them door to door? Maybe he can get me on a payment plan...rolleyes1.gif

(And while I'm so excited about your recommended book Veganomicon, they are definitely not afraid to use sugar and white flour!) eek7.gif
    Yeah I think in my "review" of them here I did mention that I was looking for a creative veg*n cookbook to use as a springboard of creativity. So far I have made several dishes out of there but I always end up omitting or substituting at least one ingredient because they are not specifically an ETC/China Study cookbook. But I have spend so many years cooking a certain way and I am still having trouble understanding how a lot of these ingredients behave in the kitchen. The book is great as long as you keep in mind that it can't be followed word-for-word. thumb.gif

I'm really happy to hear you accepting the plant-based lifestyle. Even now a lot of my longtime friends give me a hard time about my diet changes, even though I suspect that they are curious about it simply due to how much better I feel/act and the weight I lost. No lifestyle change can happen if you don't want to do it 110%. I find it challenging, tasty and fun and I don't regret a minute of it. :D
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I lost 25 pounds in about 6 months (12% of total weight) with the first 10 coming off quickly and the rest slow, but steadily. I started out just going vegan + occassional fish and when I ate wheat, I tried to get foods that were high in fiber. I didn't change my exercise profile at all.

At that point, I had only read The China Study and was motivated to get rid of animal protein, but hadn't read ETL. So, for the first nine months, I really wasn't doing ETL at all. In fact, I was almost a junk food vegan with way too many of my calories from nuts and grains and not nearly enough from fruits and vegetables. Even that profile worked for me to lose weight.

I've since started following ETL (lots more fruits and vegetables now) and am slowly losing a little more.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Lynne
    I don't think you are close to my age, but I am not experiencing rapid or significant weight loss either, and I chaulk it up to being menopausal.

Since July 07 I have greatly increased my fruit, veggie and raw food consumption(100% or more), eliminated fast food (which I was eating about once a week), reduced meats to much less than 10% of my diet, eat whole grains and brown rice when I eat them. My husband is the cook in our family, we are a busy family of 5, and it is too much to ask him to cook seperately for me, thus meat and oil is still in my diet. But no where near as uch as before.

I lost 10 lb quickly, then plateaued for months. I've lost close to another 10 and am plateauing again.

I've lost close to 2 sizes in my clothes though - since I was bursting seams when I started this and am now wearing a size smaller with plenty of room in them.

I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and getting outside more. And I have my granny bike to ride too. Last summer, my joints hurt so much that I bought an old lady bike as it was much more comfortable. This summer, I bet I wouldn't need the modified bike!

Hang in there. And, fwiw, I don't like the tone of either ETL or the China Study. I do like Michael Pollen's writing alot. And he isn't selling any products either.

ann
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Yay tall girls. I too am 5-11 and have lost a ton of weight. I haven't gotten around to reading ETL, though I just got the new Pollan book and Harvest for Hope by Jane Goodall delivered from Amazon yesterday. I'm still losing weight, though I'm not sure I still want to be so I'm trying to eat more nuts and avocados and higher calorie things.

I started eating like this because it seemed like a good idea. I had always wanted to go vegan (from vegetarian) but had always been too lazy. I read the Omnivore's Dilemma in Dec of 2006 and hearing the realities of how we get our food expressed in one place made me unable to continue to ignore what I had been meaning to do since I was a kid, and to quit being lazy and go vegan (and actually try this time) around April of last year. I had been feeling crap all the time and way overweight, and the hopes of helping those things was the rest of the push I needed. I ate (eat) mostly non-starchy vegetables, limit myself to a couple of servings of fruit, a couple of servings of starchy-veg or whole grains, a couple of servings of beans. After Shizam started working at SmugMug I was introduced to The China Study, which I read and loved and which made me more confident I was eating as I should be. This forum and knowing lots of people who are eating like this has further helped me stick with it.

So gist of my story is, I don't worry too much about what books I read or exactly what plan to follow, and have still managed to lose the weight I wanted to, and feel really healthy. I love the wee poem on the cover of Michael Pollan's latest book: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Try cutting out that oil (get some good pans, use broth or water to unstick food) and replacing some starches and fruits with veggies.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    I have to say that I think the key to this is to really follow the guidelines strictly for the first 6 weeks, as Dr. F suggests. It's important to break yourself of the old patterns and addictions. After the 6 weeks, you can reassess your diet and maybe put some of the verboten stuff back in, in moderation. Remember, after the first 6 weeks, you've got the 90/10 rule. 90% of your calories are following the diet, the other 10% are whatever you want. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    thank you Ann and Bethy for your stories!!! I will definitely be sticking with it, and hopefully finding the right balance!

Thanks everyone for sharing clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Exercise is the key for me. I'll admit, I'm not strictly following the eat to live guidelines. Oil and sugar still make an appearance in my diet. That may explain the plateau I had throught Feb. I dropped from 230 or so down to 204 and it held there until jut last week when I dropped to 198. Today the scale said 193.5. The only change is that my marathon training is getting much more intense at the moment. Two weeks ago I ran 12 miles (all at one time), 12 miles the next week, and just today I ran 14 miles. Next week is a 10K, then 16 miles, then 18 miles, then 20 miles, and then I taper. I'm expecting my weight to start dropping quite dramatically and my need to eat just about any time I can since I'm starting to burn an extra 3000 calories or so per week (and that's only going to go up).

Anyhow, if you can incorporate at least an hour of exercise per day, every day, you'll lose weight much more quickly, you'll be more likely to keep it off, and you'll just plain feel better.

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

Anyhow, if you can incorporate at least an hour of exercise per day, every day, you'll lose weight much more quickly, you'll be more likely to keep it off, and you'll just plain feel better.

My experience has been that exercise always makes me feel good and look good, but I have never experienced weight loss through exercise. I've also never combined it with a diet change?ne_nau.gifThat might be why. But what happens for me is I build muscle and maintain or gain weight from all exercise - aerobic or anaerobic. This time I wanted to be rid of several pounds first before I started turning the rest to muscle. Just my experience, fwiw.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I enjoy exercise and I always feel better when I do it. But, like Ann, exercise alone has not been a successful weight loss method for me. I participated in three Hood to Coast relays and one Portland Marathon as a heavy person. It wasn't until I really addressed what and how much I ate, along with some marathon training (that began slowly and gradually and built up over a year) that I ran my fourth relay and second marathon at my optimum weight (and dropped my marathon time to 3:41 from 5:20). That was back in 2000.
    I think there are some differences between male and female bodies that come into play with all of this stuff.
    Right now, I'm struggling. I'm so happy to read the success stories in this group, though! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I enjoy exercise and I always feel better when I do it. But, like Ann, exercise alone has not been a successful weight loss method for me. I participated in three Hood to Coast relays and one Portland Marathon as a heavy person. It wasn't until I really addressed what and how much I ate, along with some marathon training (that began slowly and gradually and built up over a year) that I ran my fourth relay and second marathon at my optimum weight (and dropped my marathon time to 3:41 from 5:20). That was back in 2000.
    I think there are some differences between male and female bodies that come into play with all of this stuff.
    Right now, I'm struggling. I'm so happy to read the success stories in this group, though! thumb.gif
    I suppose I didn't emphasize nutrition enough in my post. :D I ran the 2005 Seattle Marathon. When I ran it, I weighed in at about 210 to 215 down from the mid-230s when I started -- that was after all the hours and hours of running that went into the marathon training over the 16 week period. My nutrition philosophy then was the C diet. If I see it, I eat it: anything and everything without limits of any kind.

I'm now training for a marathon in Blackpool England that will be run on the 28th of April of this year. I am right now, 8 weeks into this training program, half way to the marathon which is in week 16 and, like I said, I'm down to the mid-190s (and already running around a minute per mile faster than I did at the end of my training in 05).

I guess my point is that my body responds fairly well to exercise (but whose doesn't when you're running around 40 miles per week?) but I was not able to get the results that I'm seeing now via a proper diet or exercising alone, and I've had several month's comparison of exercising w/o eating right, eating right w/o exercising, and exercising & eating right. There's really no comparison among the three. Eating right and exercising shows (at least in me) far, far more results than either of the two alone.

• Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    DISCLAIMER: Never in my life have I needed to lose weight. I exercise and eat for health, not for weight loss. However...

In my past experience, exercising increased my appetite, so I tended to increase my calories enough to break even. Less fat on me, more muscle, but about the same weight.

Now that I satisfy my hunger with lower calorie higher nutrient foods, I drop weight if I exercise. For me, that means I make sure I get more nuts, grains, etc. because I'm breastfeeding and I am trying to hold my weight steady.

-Anne
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I have the ETL book doen't feel it was any type of marketing tool...I do however think it could have been written somewhat better with leaving out so much of the dogging of other diets and giving more reciepes ......but all in all a good book.....now my frig was stuffed with non ETL stuff and it is almost cleaned out....unfortunately I just could not toss it in the trash....now trying to eat 5 fruits ( I vitamixed 5 different fruits together, trying to figure out what is aserving is my hardest thing....but 1 smoothie was 1 apple, 1 orange, 1/2 grapefruit,1/2 pomagranite and about 1 cup of mixed berries and a fist full of baby spinach and then a touch of stevia as it was a bit TART......now the only thing I peeled were the orange, grapefruit and pomegranite{left the insides to together}) and eating salad the way ETL suggests I have lost 5 lbs even eating the trash food from my frig and freezer....it is a start...shouild go faster when all the chorizo, andouille and other trash food is gone:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 7, 2008
    Sometimes my wife watches Biggest Loser at night while I do email on my laptop. I notice that the women generally lose the weight slower than the men and several contestants--men and women--plateau now and then. One of the trainers was particularly stumped by how one of her women hit a plateau, but I noticed on the last show that she had broken through and lost a bunch just by hanging in there.

I actually didn't lost weight with ETL and in fact I snuck up a little for awhile. It's because I used to push away from the table at 7 p.m. a little hungry, then starve all night. Now I don't starve and always eat a snack before bed so I don't wake up hungry in the night. But my blood work is certainly better and I'm not hungry all the time.

I'm not too thrilled with the tone of ETL either, but the content is certainly great.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Anyone tried to get the vitamix discount mentioned in ETL?? Just curious...as I have had mine for over 3 yrs.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website