Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    I picked up some Dulse at Whole Foods the other night. I guess I am going to put some on my salads. I did not know it has B12 and a lot of other good vitamins. clap.gif Does anyone else use it?
    Dulse is a good source of minerals and vitamins compared with other vegetables and it contains all trace elements needed for humans with a high protein content.
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    I picked up some Dulse at Whole Foods the other night. I guess I am going to put some on my salads. I did not know it has B12 and a lot of other good vitamins. clap.gif Does anyone else use it?

Schmoo does, and I steal some every now and then. I really like it. It's a little tough and a little salty, but over all I give it thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I like this stuff....... I usually find the large contain will last me about 6-7 weeks before I run out.

Only need one teaspoon a day too. ... Skippy :D

BARLEY GRASS

barley_powder_MED.jpg

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

What Z said! (Although I didn't know he was pinching from me lol3.gif) I like it a lot because it adds a slight shot of briny flavor, and you don't mind the texture once it absorbs some of the moisture in your dressing. thumb.gif

It's great in any recipe that could use a little bit of salt. I also like just taking nibbles from the bag. Good, wholesome stuff, though a bit pricey.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    another bodyfat test today.

January, I was 202 lbs, 24.5% bodyfat, five and a half months later......

and I am 172 lbs and 10.5% bodyfat.

The best part is that I still gained a little muscle, which I was wondering if I would do, given that I eat far less protein today vs my old diet, but it looks like I get enough.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

The best part is that I still gained a little muscle, which I was wondering if I would do, given that I eat far less protein today vs my old diet, but it looks like I get enough.

Wow! That's fantastic!!! Very encouraging (wish I could say the same!!! rolleyes1.gif )
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Wow! That's fantastic!!! Very encouraging (wish I could say the same!!! rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks, I was encouraged by watching Baldy and his efforts to spread the word. Now I have to work to maintain what I have achieved.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

:ivar:ivarwings.gif

Congrats!

-Anne
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

14326054-L.jpg

You got some before and afters? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

WOW!! Way to go! That is so encouraging. Congratulations! clap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    14326054-L.jpg

I'll have to look. I never took any typical before photos, but last fall I bought a new suit, which was a 46 (maybe a little extra room), but today I was fitted for a tux and I am not a 42 jacket, 34 waist. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Amost a Soylent Green, solution.......at least as nasty sounding as SG sounds YEEEEEEAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    14326054-L.jpg

So David, where are your before and afters???? I think from recent shots I've seen posted of you that you are looking pretty 'svelte' these days :D , but a side-by-side would be encouraging for many (like me) who are still struggling along. :cry My blood pressure is much better, but the weight thingie...eh! But like Ann, I'm not on as strict a regimine as others. I've taken it very gradually and have been working at increasing the green stuff and decreasing carbs. I really need to work at fitting in more walking.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    So David, where are your before and afters???? I think from recent shots I've seen posted of you that you are looking pretty 'svelte' these days :D , but a side-by-side would be encouraging for many (like me) who are still struggling along. :cry My blood pressure is much better, but the weight thingie...eh! But like Ann, I'm not on as strict a regimine as others. I've taken it very gradually and have been working at increasing the green stuff and decreasing carbs. I really need to work at fitting in more walking.

Hey Susan - I agree, I'd love to see the before & after version of David - I know he is really trim now.
    I, on the other hand, am a total train wreck. I've been eating really poorly, have put on lbs in fact. I am thinking that I either need to do a liquids only fast or some other drastic thing to get some positive results.
    I've just finished 2 wks of really strong antiinflammatories that just beat my stomach up if there wasn't food in it. We are hoping that continuing physio will be enough to fix my shoulder now that the drugs are gone, but the way it feels this morning has me in doubt. :cry
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey Susan - I agree, I'd love to see the before & after version of David - I know he is really trim now.
    I, on the other hand, am a total train wreck. I've been eating really poorly, have put on lbs in fact. I am thinking that I either need to do a liquids only fast or some other drastic thing to get some positive results.
    I've just finished 2 wks of really strong antiinflammatories that just beat my stomach up if there wasn't food in it. We are hoping that continuing physio will be enough to fix my shoulder now that the drugs are gone, but the way it feels this morning has me in doubt. :cry

Ann, have you tried the trigger point therapy book? You could possibly avoid the drugs altogether.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    saurora wrote:

Here's my and my dad before:
    143974569_fQQUd-XL.jpg

and me on this past Father's Day:
    313826895_YnKaB-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    David you didn't seem to have a much of a weight problem before, but I can see the difference in your cheeks! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    David you didn't seem to have a much of a weight problem before, but I can see the difference in your cheeks! mwink.gif

Everyone says they didn't think I was overweight, but I was. At 6'1" i've dropped from 210 to 170. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

Sorry you're still hurting, Ann. I messed my stomach up years ago with anti-inflammatories. Now I hardly ever take them. I haven't read David's book, but it sounds worth a try, especially over the AIs you've been taking with no success. I, myself, am a firm believer in magnesium supplements and have had great success using them. There are a couple of popular books on the subject. The Magnesium Miracle and The Magnesium Factor. Don't stress the weight/diet issue while you're hurting. You don't need more stress than the pain you already have. It will just make it worse. My experience has been that stress quite often is the actual cause of the pain.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Everyone says they didn't think I was overweight, but I was. At 6'1" i've dropped from 210 to 170. deal.gif
    Wow, that's a considerable percentage! Don't lose anymore or we won't be able to find you. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Sorry you're still hurting, Ann. I messed my stomach up years ago with anti-inflammatories. Now I hardly ever take them. I haven't read David's book, but it sounds worth a try, especially over the AIs you've been taking with no success. I, myself, am a firm believer in magnesium supplements and have had great success using them. There are a couple of popular books on the subject. The Magnesium Miracle and The Magnesium Factor. Don't stress the weight/diet issue while you're hurting. You don't need more stress than the pain you already have. It will just make it worse. My experience has been that stress quite often is the actual cause of the pain.

Thank Susan and David...the anti-inflammatories worked but they are done. Now the question is, will the lack of mobility and pain return? (if today is an indicator, then the pain will be back)
    I will look for the book, David. The physio is really good, at least in terms of manner, but totally at a loss to explain what is going on. I was hoping for a diagnosis, treatment regime and a path forward but don't have one.
    I agree about stress being the underlying root of pain, but in so many ways so much of the stress in my life has gone. I guess though, with teen kids and a terminal parent the stress has changed from money to family.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Now, my big question, has anyone done a diet like this without loosing much weight? I'm doing this for health and to lower my cholesterol a bit, but I don't want to loose much weight. And I've already dropped a bit this week. If I go down more than about 5-10 lbs from where I am now, I'd risk being underweight. So, how to maintain weight on a whole foods diet?

Thanks all!

While I was definitely overweight (217 last May/June; probably up to 224ish at one time) when I started, losing weight was not really my goal: I wanted to reduce my salt intake, lower my cholsterol, have better eating habits so I felt good enough to exercise, exercise more for better cardio health, and increase my endurance for both hiking and to keep up with my 7 year old.

Yes, I lost weight: down to 183, but now hovering around 190. But neither my doctor nor I are worried about it. Two reasons: it is very typical for you to lose weight and then go back up as your body adjusts to its new metabolic processes. But also through excercise I shed fat and added muscle. My waist dropped from 38-40 to 34, but due to specific core/back/hip exercises my waist is the same but my hips et al are rock solid. Oh, and I achieved all the other goals. I even walk the dog with my TT system fully loaded. In my boots.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Kerry and everyone else, I had put the link to that TB in the first post of this thread for easy finding. Even I have trouble digging that link up, otherwise!

For smoothies, I find frozen mangos, peaches and pineapple to add so much sweetness, sometimes it's even too sweet. I couldn't imagine adding extra sweetner like honey. eek7.gif
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'll have to look into those fruit options. I just had bananas and strawberries on hand, and it tasted just a little bit too spinach-y for me when I taste-tested it along the way. (Obviously, my tastes haven't adjusted yet. mwink.gif) I'm sure that'll change with time. :D

David TO mentioned in a much earlier post the idea of adding spinach, so I tried it. (My wife thinks it crazy since I eat a spinach salad about every other day or have it sauteed.) You don't even taste it. But when you have blueberries, strawberries, & raspberries in the mix, it does turn a kinda funky, well, dark red blood color. Actually got my son to drink it.

On the fruit thing, I try to by ripened/over ripened stuff in the fresh fruit section, prep it and then freeze it. When I make my smoothies I put in the fresh (or canned) fruit, the frozen, spinach or greens (broccoli does work) and then a little juice or cold water to break dwon the frozen stuff. I don't add ice at all. Sweet, thick delight!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    But when you have blueberries, strawberries, & raspberries in the mix, it does turn a kinda funky, well, dark red blood color. Actually got my son to drink it.

I find that I either add plenty of blueberries to make it dark, or don't add any berries to keep it green. If you just add strawberries or raspberries it just turns a gross brown. But blueberries make it a dark color that's better, IMO. If I just add melon, mango, pineapple, apple, or other light colored fruits it's an intense and beautiful green. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Children as young as 8 be given cholesterol-fighting drugs?
    There is just something wrong about the new recommendations from doctors

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    There is just something wrong about the new recommendations from doctors

When I was around the age of 4 almost 5 my doctor wanted to remove tonsils and adenoids to help me breather easier and to help stop the snoring, BUT I bled like crazy and would not clot, now he could have put me on DRUGS that were availble at he time, but his answer was GELATIN.....Luckily JELLO was also alright since it was flavored..........then came the constant finger pricking every week to se if here was a change....no change for over 6 months.....then I got caught with my HUUUUGE tumbler of ice covered in a massive amount of salt (it was summer time)........the Doctor seemed to be more mad than my parents......so now I was cut off from salt and still had to eat and drink jello in dang near everything......I had jello in drinks and meals, 3 or 4 times a day......it was my only snack...but with in 2 months I was ready to have the operation.......
    I do not understand why todays doctors are so damn eager to poision us with chemicals......they take an oath to heal...but none are healers they are experimenters using chemicals.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I do not understand why todays doctors are so damn eager to poision us with chemicals......they take an oath to heal...but none are healers they are experimenters using chemicals.......

:nono

Sorry you have had bad experiences with doctors, but I can say from first hand experience that many (most?) doctors are in the profession because they have a desire to heal.

They are human and make mistakes. For example, they are almost without exception ill-informed about nutrition, but that's why you have to be an educated consumer when it comes to health care. deal.gif

-Anne (wife to future doctor)
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ann, have you tried the trigger point therapy book? You could possibly avoid the drugs altogether.

Hi David

The book arrived today, page 90: Infraspinatus describes what is going on exactly!

I have a follow up physio tomorrow -> one week without drugs, retaining much movement but not all that I had last week and still have some pain. I am going to take photocopies of those pages to him; don't want to tell him how to do his job but do want to talk to him about this because he seems very competent.

My eating is getting better again too. I threw broccoli and cabbage into todays smoothie instead of spinach, and it was every bit as yummy. And my garden is starting to produce a bit of stuff (I know this must be really foreign to someone in Cali, but it is perfectly normal here!!!)

ann
    ann
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi David

The book arrived today, page 90: Infraspinatus describes what is going on exactly!

I have a follow up physio tomorrow -> one week without drugs, retaining much movement but not all that I had last week and still have some pain. I am going to take photocopies of those pages to him; don't want to tell him how to do his job but do want to talk to him about this because he seems very competent.

My eating is getting better again too. I threw broccoli and cabbage into todays smoothie instead of spinach, and it was every bit as yummy. And my garden is starting to produce a bit of stuff (I know this must be really foreign to someone in Cali, but it is perfectly normal here!!!)

ann
    ann

2 years ago, visiting my parents, my dad had that. He couldn't lift his arm up enough to comb his hair. In 24 hours under my care mwink.gif he was combing, and within 48 was cured. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus