Options

First slow, then totally inaccessible pro level site

Comments

• Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    At least now I know it's not just me. I've been struggling for a couple hours (off and on) to order a complete set of 350 prints from my nephews wedding with no luck. Firefox times out while trying to connect to the shopping cart ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Uh Big Web Guy, really, some of us didn't have patience, we had patience 2 weeks ago when the same exact thing happened. It's like well if you can FIX it, why can't you FIX it so it doesn't happen? Is there a routine reboot that needs to be done to fix these issues, is there a server that needs improved access, is there a server that is overloaded that will require alternate engineering up to and including moving clients. We really want answers and confirmation that we have a PERMENANT fix, and not just a band aid put on an ugly cut that isn't going to heal.

Please give us some assurance other than "we're working on it". Yes, site use got better an hour or two after I first reported the problem. But some of us ask of you, should we have had to have posted a rant to get a usable site? I think you know the answer that many of us feel appropriate here. We can understand occasional blips on the radar screen, however, when the SAME thing happens again and again, this is not an occasional blip, this is a torpedo bound to sink several people's business models, some of which even before they get off the ground.

Now I have said my piece, if this happens again in 2 weeks, I will downgrade my usage and request a refund on excess funds, and at the end of one year, I would be gone. I cannot speak for others.

thank you.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    Uh Big Web Guy, really, some of us didn't have patience, we had patience 2 weeks ago when the same exact thing happened. It's like well if you can FIX it, why can't you FIX it so it doesn't happen? Is there a routine reboot that needs to be done to fix these issues, is there a server that needs improved access, is there a server that is overloaded that will require alternate engineering up to and including moving clients. We really want answers and confirmation that we have a PERMENANT fix, and not just a band aid put on an ugly cut that isn't going to heal.

Please give us some assurance other than "we're working on it". Yes, site use got better an hour or two after I first reported the problem. But some of us ask of you, should we have had to have posted a rant to get a usable site? I think you know the answer that many of us feel appropriate here. We can understand occasional blips on the radar screen, however, when the SAME thing happens again and again, this is not an occasional blip, this is a torpedo bound to sink several people's business models, some of which even before they get off the ground.

Now I have said my piece, if this happens again in 2 weeks, I will downgrade my usage and request a refund on excess funds, and at the end of one year, I would be gone. I cannot speak for others.

thank you.
    We don't like it anymore than you guys, I can promise you that.

I'm sorry that the site was slow for a bit last night. Our engineers (led by our CEO and Chief Geek Onethumb) first addressed the problem. Then, they work to make it so that these things won't repeat - or minimize the chance of repeating. When it happens again, they then re-tool, re-configure, re-work it. The site is constantly improving in this regard. I know it sucks when it happens though, and for last night's slowness, I again apologize.
  • Options
    richmoffittrichmoffitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We don't like it anymore than you guys, I can promise you that.

I'm sorry that the site was slow for a bit last night. Our engineers (led by our CEO and Chief Geek Onethumb) first addressed the problem.

Thanks a bunch for fixing the issues. As a fellow networking geek, I'd be curious to know what the problems were in the first place. Is there someplace else that I can get technical updates or resolution notices?

A service provider has to carefully choose whatever information to disclose, so I'm not picky. It's just nice to know where to look.

Best,
    Rich
  • Options
    floepiefloepie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2007
    These wait times are painful.
    Only post to complain, huh? Well, I try not to do that, but 10+ second load times for galleries, control panel, etc. is not satisfactory for a paid photo hosting site. When I first joined, the waits were somewhat tolerable, but lately they've become almost unbearable. When will you beef up your server capacities?
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    floepie wrote:
    Only post to complain, huh? Well, I try not to do that, but 10+ second load times for galleries, control panel, etc. is not satisfactory for a paid photo hosting site. When I first joined, the waits were somewhat tolerable, but lately they've become almost unbearable. When will you beef up your server capacities?
    Hi -- I'm terribly sorry you are experiencing slowness issues. We had a problem last night, but not today as far as I know...

If you email our Support Heroes, http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
    we'll walk you through some speed diagnostics, to help determine where the problem might be?

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I haven't been able to upload all day. I'm going to call my "first" wedding client and apologize to them for your server issues, and ask them to wait another day. They've waited three weeks. I'm sure they can wait another day or two, but they are expectant and excited to see the finished work.

By then, your problems will hopefully have cleared up. I'm due to renew my pro smugmug subscription come August, and will likely be forced to do so because of the timing of this wedding. But if not for this particular problem with timing, I would not do so. Smugmug has a lot of superb, helpful and caring people that work for them. But point blank, this photo service sucks right now. It's just not reliable, and has never been since I signed up a year ago.
    SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
    Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    The _extra_ slowness is gone, but I still...
    Andy wrote:
    Hi -- I'm terribly sorry you are experiencing slowness issues. We had a problem last night, but not today as far as I know...

I posted times yesterday of between 50ish and 80ish seconds to BEGIN rendering, and then about 2 seconds to finish rendering. They were awful times.

Now, it's back to usual for me, but this is still TWELVE (12) seconds to begin rendering, then 2 seconds to complete rendering.

I'm in New Zealand, but I work at the largest Telco in this country and I'm pretty sure I have a reasonable Internet connection here at work.

Should I be waiting 12 seconds after hitting return in the address bar before I begin to see any page elements being drawn? (WinXP SP2, FF 2.0.0.4, Dual Core IBM Laptop with a gig of RAM)

http://www.nzsnaps.com

Again, curious to know how quick my site loads for people in the US and other parts of the world... I've tested from 3 different ISPs myself in NZ, and had 4-5 other people test locally, and they all get similar delays before the page begins to render.

If it's something I've done, then I'd love to know what I have screwed up... Accessing my page through http://talkiet.smugmug.com gives pretty similar results though.

Regards
    Neil Gardner
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:

Regards
    Neil Gardner
    I'm in Ireland, on a laptop using wireless, your site is fully loaded in 4 seconds. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Seamus wrote:
    I'm in Ireland, on a laptop using wireless, your site is fully loaded in 4 seconds. ne_nau.gif
    for me, it loaded in 1.9 even. That's the difficult thing, not everyone is experiencing this problem. If everyone was, it would most likely be a lot easier to find a permanent solution.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Seamus wrote:

That because no one in there right mind messes with the Irish...I know...I married one! :D

For me SM is all over the place fast sometimes...mostly not.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    I posted times yesterday of between 50ish and 80ish seconds to BEGIN rendering, and then about 2 seconds to finish rendering. They were awful times.

Now, it's back to usual for me, but this is still TWELVE (12) seconds to begin rendering, then 2 seconds to complete rendering.

I'm in New Zealand, but I work at the largest Telco in this country and I'm pretty sure I have a reasonable Internet connection here at work.

Should I be waiting 12 seconds after hitting return in the address bar before I begin to see any page elements being drawn? (WinXP SP2, FF 2.0.0.4, Dual Core IBM Laptop with a gig of RAM)

Again, curious to know how quick my site loads for people in the US and other parts of the world... I've tested from 3 different ISPs myself in NZ, and had 4-5 other people test locally, and they all get similar delays before the page begins to render.

If it's something I've done, then I'd love to know what I have screwed up... Accessing my page through http://talkiet.smugmug.com gives pretty similar results though.

Regards
    Neil Gardner

Your site loaded for me me almost immediately. (Less than 3 sec.) No problems at all.
    Rich
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    rkw624 wrote:
    Your site loaded for me me almost immediately. (Less than 3 sec.) No problems at all.

Thanks RKW (and others) for confirming that in some places the site loading speed is fine... I am going to try and find a proxy server in the US so I can experience this myself.

Obviously there is something strange going on - there's no way that being the other side of the world should introduce a ten second plus delay to a page starting to render.

It's really frustrating, since most of my target customers are local and they'll ALL be getting this ten second delay... Some people will even give up before that and assume the site is dead...

I really don't know what to do about this... If the problem can't be fixed, can Smugmug add an instant static page saying "Loading..." or something... It would at least let people know that something is happening

Cheers - N
    --
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Too see if it was my customisation or custom Domain name...
    I created a 14 day trial account (Pro user) at:

http://talkiet2.smugmug.com

And it took 32 seconds to start rendering and then only a second or so to complete... So it's nothing to do with customisation...

(Yes, I made sure I was logged out, and I even used IE which I don't normally use for anything but our intranet. 30 second plus times replicated in FF 2.0.0.4 as well)

I'm happy to perform troubleshooting on my end, and I'm comfortable with packet sniffers etc, is there anything I could do which would give a reasonable chance of helping?

Regards
    Neil Gardner
    --
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Tonight I am experiencing many of the same issues as mentioned above...again. Slow site loading, processing photos for a number of hours. Yes I can go in and rotate the photos and rotate them back, but frankly don't have the time to do something that should work.

I renew my pro account in September and have been a smugmug user since 2005. At this point I will be exploring other options. I believe johng mentioned in an earlier post about getting one shot at customers. I run a sports photography business as he does and I too need to get it right, site fast, pictures accessible, easy checkout without cart issues or I may not see them again. During the past year I have had way to many of these issues.

For me its about business, the folks here are helpful and friendly, but my customers frankly don't care. Nor do I if customers can't access my site or have a pain free browsing and ordering experience.

"We are working on resolving this issue" seems to be a standard pat answer these days. Well...I hope you are resolving the problems, but what about preventing these same issues in the future because I see the same problems showing up once again. I will continue to use Smugmug for personal storage but for business reasons I'm beginning to wonder if this is the best option for my photo company.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    That because no one in there right mind messes with the Irish...I know...I married one! :D
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Good performance at the moment...
    And since about 0600 UTC Tuesday, (about 4 hours)... My site has been down to 3 odd seconds before rendering, and then a couple of seconds to render.

I don't know if it's a change made on the Smugend, or a random change, but I made no changes at my end and all of a sudden it's quick as hell :-)

Smuggies, can you chip in and let us know if this is a result of something you did, or just a random improvement for no known reason?

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    --
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    And since about 0600 UTC Tuesday, (about 4 hours)... My site has been down to 3 odd seconds before rendering, and then a couple of seconds to render.

I don't know if it's a change made on the Smugend, or a random change, but I made no changes at my end and all of a sudden it's quick as hell :-)

Smuggies, can you chip in and let us know if this is a result of something you did, or just a random improvement for no known reason?

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    Whizzy here in the UK right now, has been excruciatingly (check spelling please Allen:D) slow of late but I have no special need for speed, other than getting fed up waiting, like some people so theres no point in adding to SMugs woes.
    When its good I like to say soclap.gifclapclap.gif

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Dbl wrote:

"We are working on resolving this issue" seems to be a standard pat answer these days.

Would you rather we talk about the weather? I wish it were different, but we don't have more to tell you - when we do, we'll surely tell you - we'd have no reason to hold it back :D
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    a half hour to upload 5 pictures...........eek7.gifheadscratch.gif I'm paying for what exactly here?

I'm frustrated....this is beyond ridiculas...It just seems that a lot of focus lately has been placed on making the site pretty and fun and not at all user friendly??

I'm a big smugmug fan believe me...but I am starting to forget wh:cry
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    cdonovan wrote:
    a half hour to upload 5 pictures...........eek7.gifheadscratch.gif I'm paying for what exactly here?

I'm frustrated....this is beyond ridiculas...It just seems that a lot of focus lately has been placed on making the site pretty and fun and not at all user friendly??

Need details on your connection - so much of this depends on local factors.

I just uploaded 1/2gig in about 40minutes, I'm in NY.

Can you give us a traceroute?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Whizzy here in the UK right now, has been excruciatingly (check spelling please Allen:D) slow of late
    Caroline
    You can try one of these.
    aching, afflictive, agonizing, arduous, awful, biting, burning,
    caustic, difficult, dire, disagreeable, distasteful, distressing,
    dreadful, enough already*, excruciating, extreme, extremely bad,
    grievous, hard, harrowing, hurtful, hurting, inflamed, irritated,
    insufferable, insupportable, last straw*, laborious, piercing, raw,
    saddening, sensitive, severe, sharp, smarting, sore, stinging,
    tedious, tender, terrible, throbbing, tormenting, troublesome,
    trying, that's it, too much, unbearable, undesirable, unendurable,
    uncomfortable, unpleasant, vexatious
    :hiderolleyes1.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    You can try one of these.
    aching, afflictive, agonizing, arduous, awful, biting, burning,
    caustic, difficult, dire, disagreeable, distasteful, distressing,
    dreadful, enough already*, excruciating, extreme, extremely bad,
    grievous, hard, harrowing, hurtful, hurting, inflamed, irritated,
    insufferable, insupportable, last straw*, laborious, piercing, raw,
    saddening, sensitive, severe, sharp, smarting, sore, stinging,
    tedious, tender, terrible, throbbing, tormenting, troublesome,
    trying, that's it, too much, unbearable, undesirable, unendurable,
    uncomfortable, unpleasant, vexatious
    :hiderolleyes1.gif

Or we could talk about the weatherrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Caroline (on the Mendips in pouring rain again)
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Would you rather we talk about the weather? I wish it were different, but we don't have more to tell you - when we do, we'll surely tell you - we'd have no reason to hold it back :D

Can you tell us what happened between Sunday and Monday?

Based on the improvement in site performance that I experienced during that time period, something must have changed. (And more importantly, will it remain status quo?)

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I sent traceroutes and no one replied....ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    cdonovan wrote:
    I sent traceroutes and no one replied....ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    ? Did you send to the help desk? When?

please resend to our help desk, thank you.
    or just post it here.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ? Did you send to the help desk? When?

please resend to our help desk, thank you.
    or just post it here.
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>tracert www.smugmug.com
    Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.1
    2 43 ms 95 ms 63 ms mctnnbsa24w-loop0.aliant.net [142.166.182.12]
    3 82 ms 95 ms 90 ms stjhnbsu23w-ge-15-3.aliant.net [142.166.211.34]
    4 35 ms 90 ms 67 ms rtp629047rts [64.230.203.29]
    5 22 ms 8 ms 8 ms core2-saintjohnnb_POS5-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.167
    .73]
    6 43 ms 66 ms 93 ms core2-saintjohnnb_POS0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.167
    .89]
    7 76 ms 90 ms 67 ms core3-montrealak_POS15-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.240
    .21]
    8 28 ms 67 ms 111 ms core3-toronto12_pos5-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.147
    .33]
    9 99 ms 90 ms 67 ms core2-toronto12_POS0-2.net.bell.ca [64.230.242.2
    02]
    10 59 ms 90 ms 90 ms dis1-toronto12_POS3-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.242.6]
    11 86 ms 95 ms 90 ms 64.230.230.122
    12 68 ms 105 ms 105 ms rc2sh-pos15-0.mt.shawcable.net [66.163.66.14]
    13 114 ms 67 ms 95 ms rc1ch-pos6-0-0.il.shawcable.net [66.163.77.98]
    14 106 ms 180 ms 156 ms rc2sj-pos3-0-0.cl.shawcable.net [66.163.76.69]
    15 182 ms 190 ms 197 ms pri.r1-ge0-2-eq-sj.smugmug.com [206.223.117.70]
    16 186 ms 179 ms 170 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    Trace complete.
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy - My site was fast last night (for me - my timezone - NZ) but is back to a good 10 seconds plus delay before rendering starts now. (9:30am NZ time).

This feels a lot like a load issue on your end. I know that in NZ, peak Internet usage times certainly aren't 9:30am.

Please can you comment if any changes were made last night that would have improved my speed, or if it's just a transient improvement?

Cheers - N
    --
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 17, 2007
    cdonovan wrote:

Hello,
    It is odd that no one replied to you email to the Help Desk. headscratch.gif We just saw another message from you a few minutes ago. You should receive an email reply shortly. One of our experts looked at your traceroute and saw nothing abnormal. He did have a couple of questions. Are you on dial-up? Also, what sizes were the 5 files you were uploading?

If they were 5mb each and you are on dial-up, 30 minutes to upload is not that abnormal or worrisome.

If you are not on dial-up, the speeds we see are not very fast. So please let us know the answers to the above questions. You can send them to the Help Desk if you prefer.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Hello,
    It is odd that no one replied to you email to the Help Desk. headscratch.gif We just saw another message from you a few minutes ago. You should receive an email reply shortly. One of our experts looked at your traceroute and saw nothing abnormal. He did have a couple of questions. Are you on dial-up? Also, what sizes were the 5 files you were uploading?

If they were 5mb each and you are on dial-up, 30 minutes to upload is not that abnormal or worrisome.

If you are not on dial-up, the speeds we see are not very fast. So please let us know the answers to the above questions. You can send them to the Help Desk if you prefer.

Steve

Scary...I am on highspeed...just tried uploading 2 photos for shits nad giggles and it was predicting to take 21 minutes for a total of 20,000kb

The last time I had a problem I emailed and didn't have any replies. I did recieve an email this time telling me it was my isp provider...they told me there was nothing that they could do...actually the "service" person had no idea what a trace route was!rolleyes1.gif so I spoke with her supervisor!

He told me there was no way to re-route the connection other than for me to disconnect and reconnect to a different ip address...which i did, and it seems to have helped!?!?

I'm going to try uploading again...and will let you know how it goes