Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #1

Comments

• Options
    bodhi47bodhi47 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2007
    Feature Request
    It would really benefit me to be able to offer either package deals or discounts on multiple purchases. Is there any thing like that planned in the near future?
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    A few wishes
    Hey! Smug's great! And, franky, it's getting greater all the time! But here are a few 'nigglers' that would help make it even 'greaterer.'

1/ If virtual galleries are not in the cards, I really would like the ability to copy photo's to other galleries without having to do 'second copy' and 'move.'

2/ At sign-in it would be nice to have a 'go to control panel' option without having to visit the home page.

and a MAJOR pet peeve....

3/ Co-branding for pro accounts. I'd really like some visible identification when prints are delivered to clients. (If anything forces me to move from Smug, it'll be this one.)
    :deadhorse
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Custom frames?
    Ok, so I've been thinking of ways to present my work online and as in real life, a great frame can make a good image really pop when presented. So that being said...

I'm wondering if there is a way to embed a frame on every photo without cutting into the actual image itself and THEN when presenting the photo in an external link, the frame can also be attached to the image as well. Thoughts on this process? Is this something that can be doable?

~~~~~~
    Random thoghts about this process
    ~~~~~~
    • I know there is a semi-workaround to this in making a custom watermark (which would be the frame) and just using it on my image. However, again I run into the problem of the frame cutting into my images.
    • I am too lazy to frame each photo externally in photoshop (We could be talking about 1000's of images
    • Is there a custom CSS script or theme that I could use to try to make?
    • Am I just too lazy? rolleyes1.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    PB MediaPB Media Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    It's really wierd that smugmug feels uncomfortable giving photographers the information (email, location, etc.) of THEIR customers. Photographers should be able to communcate with and know their customers....

Two other really important needed features are the cupons and a multiple prints discount.
    my smugmug: PB media
  • Options
    JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    How about srpipting this in PS?
    I do this for nearly ever image I upload. After batching jpegs out of camera raw, I run a photoshop script that adds a white 'matte' around each image. Here's what they look like in gallery:

http://sisson.smugmug.com/gallery/1976624
    Pezpix wrote:
    Ok, so I've been thinking of ways to present my work online and as in real life, a great frame can make a good image really pop when presented. So that being said...

I'm wondering if there is a way to embed a frame on every photo without cutting into the actual image itself and THEN when presenting the photo in an external link, the frame can also be attached to the image as well. Thoughts on this process? Is this something that can be doable?

~~~~~~
    Random thoghts about this process
    ~~~~~~
    • I know there is a semi-workaround to this in making a custom watermark (which would be the frame) and just using it on my image. However, again I run into the problem of the frame cutting into my images.
    • I am too lazy to frame each photo externally in photoshop (We could be talking about 1000's of images
    • Is there a custom CSS script or theme that I could use to try to make?
    • Am I just too lazy? rolleyes1.gif
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    "Recent Galleries" box for the home page
    For people that use Categories on their home page (or for people that don't want all 150 of their galleries to be on that single front page), it would be great to have an optional home page "box" (or whatever you call those widgets like Keywords, Bio, Friends & Family, etc.) called "Recent Galleries".

It would be configurable for the number of recent galleries you wanted to show (a la keywords), and it would simply show the same data that is in your recent galleries RSS feed for x number of galleries.

The link for "recent galleries" should go to a page that lists *all* galleries in reverse chronological order, much like the regular Galleries view if you're not using categories.

I've pondered how to do this myself in JavaScript, and I've actually hacked together a Perl script to poll the RSS feed and plop the last 4 galleries into the "Featured Gallery" box.

But I really think this is something that SmugMug needs to do on their end, because anything else is just another nasty hack.

{Thanks JT for the fine example of why we need this feature. :-}
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Zoom thumbnail doesn't let you zoom as much as it could
    When I'm zooming thumbnails, I sometimes want to zoom more than the current UI lets you zoom. This is usually when I only have shots of full people and I want the thumbnail to show someone's face to make the gallery more easily identifiable.

I can't think of any downside to letting us zoom a little more (it's just for the thumbs and there are plenty of pixels), so this is a feature request to please let us make the zoom thumbnail box smaller, thus letting us zoom in more on the image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    "Pause Upload"
    Ok, I have DSL, but it still takes a while when I upload pictures so I was wondering... is there a way to pause uploading? Would it be possible to add that feature? I sometimes have to upload 400 or more pics & it takes a while! Also, unfortunately, it takes up a lot of bandwidth. If my husband needs to do anything while I'm uploading pictures, it takes FOREVER. :) Just wondering if the whole "pause" thing would interest anyone else!!!
  • Options
    XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    renstar wrote:
    I would like to see a "trip" or "journey" viewing style that would allow myself to show the smugmug maps view for a specific gallery, along with a larger version of a photo, some choice exif info, and at least the caption. I would also like to be able to upload a .gpx track file from my GPS to this gallery, so that the map view can show the path that I took when I took the photos.

A couple of use cases for this style:
    1) I go out on a hike, use my GPS to keep track of where I am, and when I return home, I can sync the exif date/time taken with the track file generated by my GPS. Then, I can upload the images to smugmug, and use smugmug to share my journey with friends and family. As it stands, I have to have my photos (maybe geotagged) uploaded to smugmug, and the track file uploaded elsewhere and it gets complicated to share with people.

2) Im looking for a place to go for a trip and scouting out peoples pictures on smugmug. If they have used this feature, I can see the path they took to see these particular sights, and if I want to follow it when I take my trip.

A view that shows the map specifically for a gallery and with a path attached to it is the logical extension to the smugmaps feature. The map gets too cluttered if it shows more than one gallery, and I'd like to see it all at once anyway. Maybe with some sort of layout like this (pardon the total lack of artistic talent, obviously the colors would have to look slick like a normal smugmug page)..

187935822-M.jpg

If I can figure out a way to hack the site so that I can view styles that are completely my own (and have them be on the style dropdown) I'll create a mockup. Thats an idea for another time.. the ability to custom create complete view styles, but I digress.

-Russ

Ps - there is a typo in the thread heading, seeing as how this is a sticky it should probably be fixed (SmuMug)

Currently use Picasa for the pictures I want to mash with a Google map & GPS track. It'd be nice to be able have the Google placemarkers reference the smugmug picture.

Since Panda's Iexif RMB of Locate Spot on Map by no longer works due the exif being stripped from the pictures, it'd be nice to have a Map it button on the Photo Info flyout.
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    fcorin13 wrote:
    Ok, I have DSL, but it still takes a while when I upload pictures so I was wondering... is there a way to pause uploading? Would it be possible to add that feature? I sometimes have to upload 400 or more pics & it takes a while! Also, unfortunately, it takes up a lot of bandwidth. If my husband needs to do anything while I'm uploading pictures, it takes FOREVER. :) Just wondering if the whole "pause" thing would interest anyone else!!!

I use StarExplorer (a third party uploader) and it is capable of stopping and restarting while preserving your upload queue. In fact, it writes your upload queue to disk so even if the program crashes or the power goes out, it will still pick up where it last left off. I've made use of this several times.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    2nd password for gallery/dual pricing
    I would love the ability to set dual pricing for galleries based upon password - so therefore need the ability to set up 2 passwords. For example - I do sports pix and I would like to set a different price for coaches versus parents without creating a duplicate gallery. Therefore coaches would get one password while parents would receive a different one. Could also see setting different prices for my other galleries based upon family versus the public.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Ability to apply bulk settings 1 at a time
    I would like to use the buld quicksettings to be able to apply a single setting or a group of sub-settings without effecting the rest.

For example, when I started I did not use proof delay but I wanted to add it and I have 50 - 60 galleries - takes a while and hard to keep track of which galleries I did it too and which ones I didn't. If I use quick settings it will change the password and other parts I do not want to change....eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    bkatz wrote:
    I would like to use the buld quicksettings to be able to apply a single setting or a group of sub-settings without effecting the rest.

For example, when I started I did not use proof delay but I wanted to add it and I have 50 - 60 galleries - takes a while and hard to keep track of which galleries I did it too and which ones I didn't. If I use quick settings it will change the password and other parts I do not want to change....eek7.gif

I use SmugBrowser to solve this exact problem. I agree it would be nice if Smugmug built this into their site, but in the meantime, you can solve this problem with SmugBrowser. It will let you apply any single setting or group of settings to one gallery, a whole sub-category of galleries, a whole category of galleries or your whole site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Smugbrowser makes sense but
    jfriend wrote:
    I use SmugBrowser to solve this exact problem. I agree it would be nice if Smugmug built this into their site, but in the meantime, you can solve this problem with SmugBrowser. It will let you apply any single setting or group of settings to one gallery, a whole sub-category of galleries, a whole category of galleries or your whole site.
    I have it loaded but ow do I apply a batch setting instead of clicking on each one?
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Password protected galleries request
    Here is a post with a feature request that I had previously suggested. Nothing's come of it, and I fault no one for that, but I think it is relevant, easy, and useful enough to warrant a re-request:

previous post:
    I think what I'd like to see added is an easy one. Show the password protected padlock icon in the "bulk settings" screen.

Why? I have 33 galleries. That is going to grow substantially. I password protect many of those galleries, and use "bulk settings" to change that password monthly. It would be really nice to be able to see the padlock icon (or otherwise sort out the protected galleries) so I can apply the new month's bulk settings to the right galleries and be less likely to miss one. It's tough enough with 33 galleries... I can't imagine it with hundreds.

On another related note, is there anyway we could have password management? You know, let you flag galleries as "no password," "current default password," or "custom password?" That way, you could set a default password in one screen and have it filter down to all galleries using that default value, but galleries that have no password would still have open public access, and galleries with custom passwords would be completely unaffected.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    bkatz wrote:
    I have it loaded but ow do I apply a batch setting instead of clicking on each one?
    At any level right click and pick bulk update. Check just the things you want
    the change under each tab.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ToddshooterToddshooter Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2007
    Alternate payment source.
    Hi

How about being able to pay with something other than a credit card?
    ie: Paypal, or something similar, online banking is really a better way to go. How about being able to apply sales from customers to our own orders?
    Just thoughts, I did a search but couldn't find anything.
    Thanks Toddshooter
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    Stats by category
    I'd love to have the ability to view statistics by category (and potentially by subcategory). I find that having the stats show for all of my galleries is a bit overwhelming - especially when I am usually looking for statistics for a particular gallery or subcategory.

And yes, I am aware of (and use) the outside tools to see stats. I'd still like to see a change to the SmugStats!

--- Denise
  • Options
    thedrakettethedrakette Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2007
    Christmas / Greeting Cards!
    I don't know how many people have asked me lately if they can order christmas cards from my website. I see where ya'll have postcards, and everything from t-shirts to puzzles, but no greeting cards! I think that would be a profitable addition to the product list.
  • Options
    kevinheltonkevinhelton Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Two Features I would Love
    Thanks Denise for pointing me to the right thread!

<hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hello all! First post here, but I've lurked a while and have customized my site thanks to all the effort of the faithful here. Thank you!

There are two features that I would love to have to make it easier on my clients and myself...

1. I would love a "Proof Chooser" option. Now, I know there is a proof-delay feature for editing proofs and such, but what I am looking for is a way for clients to go to a proof gallery and select the images they would like retouched and available for purchase. I can go look at what they've selected and edit those images (all at once and get done with it!) and upload them to the main gallery where they can purchase the retouched images. Does this make since? You know, like a page that lists the thumbnails and have check boxes under each where they can select the ones they like. Or have a button under each preview image as they view them. I would prefer to edit the images all at once instead of editing the images during the proof-delay period. This way, my gallery look nicer too because they are filled with final images instead of proofs! Anyone know if this is available/possible?

2. Another option I am missing (or wanting since it has never been mwink.gif) is having the option to provide print packages instead of just individual prints. Pro account holders could customize packages of prints with various sizes and set their price for the package. The price per print on our end can remain the same but clients who purchase from our websites will be able to choose from a series of photo packages. This will help clients get a better deal and photographers to sell more prints! What do you all think? Done before/possible/desirable?

3. Yes, I have another I just remembered while typing point #2. It would be nice to be able to give "allowances" to clients to shop on my gallery. For example, I could do a shoot and include $50 worth of photos in the session fee. They could then (maybe using a discount code or something) get a $50 credit to buy any combination of photos. Shipping wouldn't be included. I'm not sure how this could work on SmugMug's end (maybe sell us the credit cheap mwink.gif?). It's just a thought!

Thanks for all those who make the effort and put the time in to help with this forum. I really appreciate it!

Check the webiste www.kevinhelton.com

Thanks,

Kevin Helton
    Kevin Helton
    Kevin Helton Photography
    www.kevinhelton.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    How about being able to apply sales from customers to our own orders?
    Can't do this, accounting rules, IRS rules deal.gif
  • Options
    TomiGirlTomiGirl Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Greeting cards please & ...
    I would love to be able to order greeting cards with envelopes, also it there a way to only list sizes of photos that I choose to be available to a client rather than having the whole list and crop options for the client to see? Is there a hack for this. Would also like to be able to click on products and have an example pictured for the client per photo or gallery. Lastly...lol, could the clients please be able to order their own holiday cards....puhhhlease? ;o)

That would be awesome!!:D
    You guys & gals are so amazing! Thanks for all you do for us smuggers ;o)
    ~Tomi
    Shootin' & Shop'in , ~Tomi :rambo
    http://www.tomiearl.com
  • Options
    irenelucierirenelucier Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here :) All of us at SmugMug read this thread - and we crave your input - nothing too small or too big, so don't be shy.

When in "Bulk Gallery Settings" it would be helpful if, below each gallery name, there was also an indication of it's category. Some of my galleries are never intended to be displyed as part of my SM site content, but rather serve only to provide content for slideshows, etc. Knowing which category these kinds of galleries were in would, for example, help me avoid applying a password which then breaks the slideshow.
    Irene
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    When in "Bulk Gallery Settings" it would be helpful if, below each gallery name, there was also an indication of it's category. Some of my galleries are never intended to be displyed as part of my SM site content, but rather serve only to provide content for slideshows, etc. Knowing which category these kinds of galleries were in would, for example, help me avoid applying a password which then breaks the slideshow.
    Why not name all these type galleries something like this.

site_slideshow
    site_banners
    site_family_prices
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 18, 2007
    TomiGirl wrote:
    I would love to be able to order greeting cards with envelopes, also it there a way to only list sizes of photos that I choose to be available to a client rather than having the whole list and crop options for the client to see? Is there a hack for this. Would also like to be able to click on products and have an example pictured for the client per photo or gallery. Lastly...lol, could the clients please be able to order their own holiday cards....puhhhlease? ;o)

That would be awesome!!:D
    You guys & gals are so amazing! Thanks for all you do for us smuggers ;o)
    ~Tomi

Cards come with envelopes and you can limited any products that you don't want to show, by putting a price of 0 against that item.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    PopUp Text
    Could we or is there a way to customize the text in the "right click popup box"?
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 24, 2007
    beetle8 wrote:
    Could we or is there a way to customize the text in the "right click popup box"?
    javascript:

rightClickWarning = "Put your custom message here";
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Jeez!
    I thought it would be way harder than that.
    If it's OK with you guys I'm gonna tell everyone it took me tons of time and code.
    Thank you very much for the "Quick" tip
  • Options
    alberto3554alberto3554 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Re: Virtual galleries
    Hi ,

I want add my voice to this request.

Although I love Smugmug the lack of functionality to create virtual galeries or collections of images (without duplicating the original) has forced me to look at other photo sharing site alternatives again. ne_nau.gif

This improvement has been on the request lists for a considerable amount of time but nothing seems to be happening in this area. It might be technically challenging to implement this but that does not mean that it should not be considered.

Regards

Bert
    bseppa wrote:

Meta data-driven Galleries (I am calling them "Virtual Galleries" for lack of a better name)

Brandon
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    1x1 thumbnails by default
    How about a feature request for 1x1 thumbnails (a check option in uploader) so that uploaded images will automaticallly have centered 1x1 thumbnails?

This would greatly save SmugMug some CPU cycles and time for those of us who use the bulk zoom thumbnails hack (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26959) or greasemonkey script (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71394).

Thanks.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
This discussion has been closed.