Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #1

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    beetle8 wrote:
    I thought it would be way harder than that.
    If it's OK with you guys I'm gonna tell everyone it took me tons of time and code.
    Thank you very much for the "Quick" tip
    lol3.gif I like your style thumb.gif
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Hello,

I don't know if someone asked already but an easy way to make article pages within smugmug would be nice. I pasted an article in a html page as a test but if I wanted to write something new, the little box would be a pain to use.

Oh and more languages please.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    Hello,

I don't know if someone asked already but an easy way to make article pages within smugmug would be nice. I pasted an article in a html page as a test but if I wanted to write something new, the little box would be a pain to use.

Oh and more languages please.
    "the little box"headscratch.gif If you are referring to the album description edit box I
    would do everything in notepad/pure text editor and replace/paste into the
    edit box the whole chunk each time.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rtrainerrtrainer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2007
    A few things to consider
    1. The filename displayed on the "Replace Photo" upload page. A lot of my pictures are very similar (sports action pictures taken as a burst) and this would make it easier to find the correct one when I have delayed processing turned on.

2. The "Replace Photo" upload should generate an error when the wrong file type is uploaded. Currently it just goes to a "blank" page. I do my postprocessing on TIFF files and convert to JPEG as the last step. When I have a lot of images in the directory, I many times will pick the wrong type. just frustrating if you are not paying attention (whacked me for a good 30 minutes once before I realized my mistake).

3. Include the filename of the photo that was purchased in the order email.

4. Add "Not Shipped" to the list of options for filtering on the "Sales To Date" page.

Things probably already requested:
    5. Deeper Gallery Hierarchy
    6. Customizable email
    7. Packages
    8. Coupons

Keep up the great work.
    Rob
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 27, 2007
    Pagination & RSS
    A big feature request for me would be to add pagination options for category and or home pages. Right now (as far as I know) if I have a category with a buttload of galleries, then the page will just scroll, and scroll, and scroll...

Smugmug has all this sexy web2.0 stuff throughout the site, it seems like an option to allow x number of galleries on a page and then auto create more pages, would fit right in.

One more (perhaps more difficult) feature I'd love to see is the ability to customize our RSS feeds. In my dream world, there would be another section under the "customize" tab named "Feeds" that works just like the customize option where it would let us alter or create the feed markup from scratch.

Right now the standard feeds work fine for RSS readers, but feeds are a GREAT way to provide your smugmug content on a different site (like a blog).
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 27, 2007
    rubinblog wrote:
    One more (perhaps more difficult) feature I'd love to see is the ability to customize our RSS feeds. In my dream world, there would be another section under the "customize" tab named "Feeds" that works just like the customize option where it would let us alter or create the feed markup from scratch.

Right now the standard feeds work fine for RSS readers, but feeds are a GREAT way to provide your smugmug content on a different site (like a blog).

Hey Rubin,

What exactly isn't working for you with getting rss feeds working on your blog ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Rubin,

What exactly isn't working for you with getting rss feeds working on your blog ?

Cheers,

David

See here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77326
  • Options
    gdackermgdackerm Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Not sure how important others would find this but I think it's worth doing. I would like smugmug to report on ALL sales, not just those with profit added in. I think that it’s important for smugmug pro users to know each sale. This is valuable information for many reasons but ultimately it's just an honesty issue. If my work is making sales I want to know about it.

One of my customers talked to me about the great prints she received from me (via smugmug) and I had no idea what she was talking about. There was an awkward moment where I'm sure she was thinking, 'How can this guy not know I'm a customer of his?". Because I had no dang idea that she purchased anything since I didn't add in any profit on those shots.

Whether I make profit or not I want to thank someone for the purchase and solicit feedback on their transaction.

More importantly, what if I was to have made a mistake and left some print options available with not profit for me. Then those prints sell I don't realize the mistake?!?! This would prove to be VERY frustrating.

I've been toying with smugmug for the past year and overall like the service but as a professional photographer the bottom line is high on the priority list. Complete and honest accounting is critically important for my business and partners.

Thanks for your consideration on this feature.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    george-1george-1 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    gdackerm wrote:
    Not sure how important others would find this but I think it's worth doing. I would like smugmug to report on ALL sales, not just those with profit added in. I think that it’s important for smugmug pro users to know each sale. This is valuable information for many reasons but ultimately it's just an honesty issue. If my work is making sales I want to know about it.
    <o:p></o:p>

I'm just a regular user, but I would also like to know if anyone is buying prints from my galleries. I have ordered some prints, but if others are ordering I would like to know it, with the aim of justifying a pro account. I wouldn't so much need to know who was ordering, just which photos and how many .

I can live without it, but it would be a "nice to have."
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Better Feed Solution
    rubinblog wrote:

After much searching and more thought on this, I think a better solution is just to modify the standard feed so that the image is in a separate enclosure. This won't affect any existing implementations, but it will allow those that need it to grab the specific things we need from the feed.

There is a fantastic write-up about this kind of thing here. He is equally as frustrated as I am that we can't treat images as importantly as other enclosures.

UPDATE:
    I still would like better control over the feeds, but here is a workaround for those that need it: link
  • Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    print credit
    I know this has come up before, but I'm going to bring it up again. I'd love to be able to give my clients a way to use a print credit without having to go through me. I've had several people email me after they've gone through the ordering process asking how to use it. Granted, they should have read their email more closely.

It would be great even if they could place their order, then I could go in and pay for it at my price, not what I charge them. I'm thinking of something like putting a hold on the order like they were paying with a check. Then I'd go in and pay for the wholesale cost of their order, releasing it to be printed.

FWIW, I am a wedding photographer and offer a print credit allowing couples to order $X of prints that are included in the package price.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • Options
    emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    REQUEST: assigning full-access passwords to specific galleries
    I have a request: I would love to have the option to create a gallery and assign a password for that gallery and that gallery only that would enable a guest to upload pictures to and add/edit captions and keywords for that gallery ONLY.

Can you guys consider this? thumb.gif
    My SmugMug site: http://www.cyclingcaptured.com

Canon EOS 1D & 1D Mark II
    Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
    Canon 16-35L f/2.8
    Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    "the little box"headscratch.gif If you are referring to the album description edit box I
    would do everything in notepad/pure text editor and replace/paste into the
    edit box the whole chunk each time.

Yes, the box is the description edit box. I though about using notepad but I want to write on the road on public computers. I'd prefer to edit directly on the page, if only for editing small bits.. Why not just have a "make html page" option with actual room to write?
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    Yes, the box is the description edit box. I though about using notepad but I want to write on the road on public computers. I'd prefer to edit directly on the page, if only for editing small bits.. Why not just have a "make html page" option with actual room to write?
    If you use Safari3 (available for PC or Mac from www.apple.com) browser, you can simply drag the edit box as large as you like, it's tres cool :)
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    Thanks Andy, but my goal is to write from public computers that might not have Safari.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    Thanks Andy, but my goal is to write from public computers that might not have Safari.

Won't you usually find Notepad/Wordpad on the public computer? Not quite as elegant as having Smugmug just make the box bigger, but you could edit there and then paste in when you're done.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Won't you usually find Notepad/Wordpad on the public computer? Not quite as elegant as having Smugmug just make the box bigger, but you could edit there and then paste in when you're done.

I know but I'd rather do it within Smugmug. That's why I posted in "request" and not "how-to".
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    I know but I'd rather do it within Smugmug. That's why I posted in "request" and not "how-to".

It would sure be nice if Smumug just upgraded ALL their major edit fields to be dynamically resizable like this dgrin edit box is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    If I missed a thread or am just a clown forgive me, but do we, or can we create a blog area to use within our galleries.

It would be nice to minimise the number of places you ned to join on the WWW and a blog within your own site would be good for messages, travelling etc
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Metadata
    Andy wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here :) All of us at SmugMug read this thread - and we crave your input - nothing too small or too big, so don't be shy.

My request is to include the metadata with displayed photos. I was distressed to find that the identifying metadata had been stripped from the photos displayed in the gallieries on SmugMug. With the Orphan Rights bill a distinct possibility, it is very important that metadata be included with any photo displayed on the internet. Metadata doesn't take up that much room. If SmugMug is to remain an option for professionals, please don't strip metadata!

Tina Manley
    ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
    http://www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    luckydog wrote:
    If I missed a thread or am just a clown forgive me, but do we, or can we create a blog area to use within our galleries.

It would be nice to minimise the number of places you ned to join on the WWW and a blog within your own site would be good for messages, travelling etc
    it's a nice request, but our focus is on photo sharing and photo apps :D

Others do the blog thing so very well thumb.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited December 10, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    I have been using CSS to enlarge the edit description box. I know I picked it up from someone here, just can't remember who. (But many thanks go to that individual!)
    /* change text input area for editing descriptions */
    #editDescription textarea {
    height: 200px; !important;
    width: 800px !important;}
    #editBio textarea {
    height: 400px; !important;
    width: 560px !important;}

--- Denise
  • Options
    lowflyerlowflyer Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    GPS upload to SmugMug - Geotagging
    I like to geotag my pictures and have a number of them tagged in Flickr and Picasa. I am currently migrating from Flickr and Picasaweb to SmugMug and would like to continue tagging, but I don't care for the drag-drag method. I would prefer that I might upload a tracklog from my Garmin GPS and have a SmugMug app compare that to the timestamps of photos in selected galleries and then write the coordinates to the EXIF for pics that match or closely match datapoints along a track. There are apps that will do this, but the pics must reside on the PC. I don't know how feasible this is, but I believe it would be a significant improvement over what is currently available from other image hosting services.

Garmin has made their API available here: http://developer.garmin.com/

Cheers,
    Lee
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:

But wouldn't it still be a nice add-in to enrich your SmugMug site?? Of course keep the SmugMug focus (don't you love that word :D ) on photos, but the increased text options that an optional blog box might offer would open up whole new opportunities, and maybe even draw and hold more users viz a viz SmugMug versus competitors in a rapidly changing world...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    heliostaticheliostatic Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2007
    Vanity URLs--technical issues?
    I have read the forums regarding vanity urls, and I'm perfectly happy and able to create the vanity url table (or write custom mod_rewrite rules). However, as many people have pointed out, this seems like something that might as well be implemented on the back end. From my perspective, it is great that we have so much flexibility as users, but it only makes sense to leave things to users if a) most people don't care, and won't benefit from a full blown "feature", and b) there is some benefit to leaving it as a user implemented feature. Is there any technical reason that vanity urls can't be implemented with SM's current architecture, or is this more a prioritization issue?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Organising galeries
    crazee suggestion:

- give organising galleries drag and drop functionality

Probbaly impossible but I thought of it whe trying to reorganise galleries and wanted to put one gallery into another (i.e. as a sub gallery)

I didn't bother because I find the renaming and creating gallery/sub gallery functionsd too complicated ( not saying they are for most folks but they are for me, I mean I can ata push but it is so time consuming and as I do it so rarely I never remmeber how). I just tried dragging and dropping it on the offchance - no luck of course but thought I'd mention it any way

cheersmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    Fisrt, thanks to Denise for the code. It took a cyclist. :D
    Andy wrote:

SM keeps talking about "sites" and some of us had websites with text before joining SM. An easy way to produce text page would be nice. The html-only page works for me but I wouldn't mind a blog.
  • Options
    brianshirobrianshiro Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2007
    Slideshow feature requests
    I think SmugMug is the best photo sharing site out there if you like tinkering with the HTML/CSS. Having said that, it could use some improvement in a few areas such as the slideshows. Please enhance your slideshows to have these features:

1) Play videos rather than show the low-res thumbnail in its place. If you can't play the videos in the slideshows too, please don't show the thumbnail.

2) Play music.

3) Do the cool zoom/pan feature to make the photos look more interesting.

4) Show text slides of section/subgallery headings.

5) Allow for turning captions on or off.

Phanfare slideshows do all of these, and as a result they provide a MUCH, MUCH nicer user experience. I'm trying to convince my family that I should switch from Phanfare to SmugMug, but they won't let me due to SmugMug's ugly slideshows.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    After playing with the timeline and found they are all sorted by what looks like
    upload date, I would like to see the timeline be able to sort by Date Taken if
    available. Then no matter when the photo is edited and uploaded you could
    find it and it would be with the rest of the days events.
    This is just a bug, JT will be fixing it I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Heres a couple things that are on my wish list:

Quick Gallery Creation-
    I photograph horse shows and divide up riders into their own gallery for ease of purchase. For each event I'll need 30-100 or more galleries that are identical aside from their name (same price, same theme, same settings). Although smugmug recently fixed half of the time consuming settings (it remembers the category and subcategory) if the "new gallery" page had a memory of the rest of the settings I last used ( theme, quick settings, pricing) so I only had to name the gallery and press ok, it would speed things up.

OR even better would be a bulk gallery creation. The ability to create a bunch of identical galleries at the same time would be awesome :D

Quick pricing like Quick Settings
    - I have a sale price and regular price for my prints and its hard for me to keep track of which galleries are priced as which use the settings from and inconvenient to have to scroll through my hundreds of galleries to find the right one. It would be hugely awesome to have the quick pricing set up identical to the quick settings, to be able to save my desired pricing schemes under "sale" and "regular" or whatever.:D

Hope all that makes sense :D
    Quicksettings will do most of this now. Also, you might try the EXCELLENT SmugBrowser together with the Firefox Browser.

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
This discussion has been closed.