Options

New image sizes?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Nicolas_CHNicolas_CH Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We've made this live, folks. Standard and Power customers can now restrict X2 and X3 sizes, it's in your gallery customizing page

Thanks so much again for everyone's patience, and for sticking with us. We truly do have the greatest customers

I luv U!
    This is what I call service, speed and collaboration!
    beer.gif
    Thanx a lot!

Nicolas
    Mainly for private use - no chance to meet your work, guys! http://team-boehmer.smugmug.com
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Double Rotation not working???
    I just double-double rotated a gallery (double rotated once...discovered the new sizes did not take effect....so double-rotated AGAIN...still no luck) without success.

Logged-in, reset style to Viewer-Controlled (from forced Journal), and set "smugmug' style before rotating.

EDIT: SPOKE TOO SOON....I see "Xlarge" there now!, but not X2 X3....maybe it's in my Control Panel...gotta go check.

EDIT: OK...found it in the Customize Gallery page....All better now!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I just double-double rotated a gallery (double rotated once...discovered the new sizes did not take effect....so double-rotated AGAIN...still no luck) without success.

http://papajay.smugmug.com/gallery/2444558/2/128207698#128207248

Logged-in, reset style to Viewer-Controlled (from forced Journal), and set "smugmug' style before rotating.

SPOKE TOO SOON....I see "Xlarge" there now!, but not X2 X3....maybe it's in my Control Panel...gotta go check.

OK...found it in the Customize Gallery page....All better now!
    Yup, there's now a SmugMungous option in your photo tools.

release notes: http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/
  • Options
    underexposedunderexposed Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks guys (and gals)! I love your customer service.

One question: How do I access the Original if I'm the gallery owner without changing the permissions to allow Originals?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks guys (and gals)! I love your customer service.

One question: How do I access the Original if I'm the gallery owner without changing the permissions to allow Originals?

Thanks!
    Hi, that's the way you'd do it, I wish I had a better, different answer for you :(
  • Options
    underexposedunderexposed Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, that's the way you'd do it, I wish I had a better, different answer for you :(

Thanks anyways Andy!
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'd like to warn everyone that using the SmugMungous option in your photo tools will reset all of your thumbnails, without any possibility of recovery (other than manually re-creating each one).

Personally, I think that this "feature" has completely undone all the good credit that smugmug had, and I'm now seriously considering moving my photos elsewhere.

:nono :nono :nono :nono
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    I'd like to warn everyone that using the SmugMungous option in your photo tools will reset all of your thumbnails, without any possibility of recovery (other than manually re-creating each one).

Personally, I think that this "feature" has completely undone all the good credit that smugmug had, and I'm now seriously considering moving my photos elsewhere.

:nono :nono :nono :nono

And my same response to you by email:

Hi Paul,

Ouch! I'm so so sorry that you feel this way :( The bulk zoom is available, to rezoom all of your thumbs.

ANY action like rotate, watermarking, and the new SmugMugnifying, will cause new display copies to be made. It's always been this way. Bulk zoom is available to re-zoom your thumbs, and you've used that hack, yes?

I'm sorry that you'd leave us over this. I hope you'll reconsider.

I'm sorrier even that you've begun deleting posts on dgrin as well, taking away information that you've freely given to the community in the past.

Andy
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    I will ask our Help Page Mistress to put a prominent note in our photo tools help about this. It's not new with SmugMungous! (Bulk) but any tool (watermark, rotate, etc)..
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:

release notes: http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/

And for anyone (with a mac) that doesn't want to go through all of their galleries and do that by hand, there's an API using tool to do it for you. See this thread.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ...but even if we just were able to keep full metadata on the XL, XL2 and XL3 copies, that could be around 300Kb per image you upload to SmugMug.

I'm amazed the file sizes are that big with the metadata. I took an image I have locally, one with the metadata that I put in it (which includes the tag, comment, author, copyright, and all the EXIF data). The file is 2,974,665 bytes in size according to Vista. I then made a copy of the image and used Vista's "Remove Properties and Personal Information" function to strip out all the metadata...though strangely it left behind F-Stop, Exposure Time, Exposure bias, focal length, and Max aperature). The resulting file size after the strip? 2,975,374 bytes. Yeah, 0.7 bytes BIGGER without the metadata. I don't understand that at all.

Not that I don't believe you :D, but what sort of metadata was in those files? Are we talking lots of fat from a Lightroom/Aperature export? I'm just shocked the numbers are so huge!
    Andy wrote:
    Keep in mind, SmugMungous part II is to have the gallery be fluid, stretch, to fill your giant monitors with many thumbnails and a XL, or perhaps even larger, main image :) We want SmugMug to be really fast, for everyone.
    That sounds SO good! clap.gif ...as long as it happens after the completely sad home page options are improved. Right now my gallery home page looks like it was ripped from 2001 with it's wee little 100 x 67 pixel images and 54 characters worth of text per album. eek7.gif
    Andy wrote:
    The above is mitigated, if we could do what you suggest, keeping ONLY say the copyright notice, copyright status, and author fields, for example.

I think that would be a good start - pick a copy of commonly used fields and keep only that. I don't care if someone downloads my image and can't tell what kind of lens I was using, but I do care if they can't ever tell that it was me that took the picture.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I wrote:
    mdraughn wrote:
    ...my informal testing suggests that the larger sizes aren't actually helping custom sizing right now.

Here's the X3L of one of my photos, to prove I regenerated it:

http://mdraughn.smugmug.com/photos/209446927-X3.jpg

That's 1600x1067. It's big and beautiful the way smugmug is supposed to be.

Now I'll use custom rendering to request a slightly smaller version:

http://mdraughn.smugmug.com/photos/2...-1590x1590.jpg

Blurry. I'm guessing it must have up-rezzed the L size instead of down-rezzing the X3.

Hey, it looks like you fixed it! I didn't even notice it in the release notes.

Thanks!