Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Is there any chance that you have been using Firefox from its mounted download/install disk image, and have not yet dragged it into the Applications folder? If this is the case, then its disk image becomes unmounted every time you log out. It's sort of like running an application from a CD.

I only mention this because it's a common new-Mac-user thing to do. If you make sure to drag it into your Applications folder, it should not disappear.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Is there any chance that you have been using Firefox from its mounted download/install disk image, and have not yet dragged it into the Applications folder? If this is the case, then its disk image becomes unmounted every time you log out. It's sort of like running an application from a CD.

I only mention this because it's a common new-Mac-user thing to do. If you make sure to drag it into your Applications folder, it should not disappear.
    I actually thought that was it...but i just did as you said & re-booted & the firefox desktop logo has gone walk-about again.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I actually thought that was it...but i just did as you said & re-booted & the firefox desktop logo has gone walk-about again.
    Can you use spotlight and see where it lives after you have rebooted?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Can you use spotlight and see where it lives after you have rebooted?
    Where do i find spot light :uhoh
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 30, 2008
    I get the feeling that you might be confusing the installer icon with the program icon. Look here and scroll down for OS-X. Follow the pictures on the right.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    gus wrote:

I don't think there is a Firefox desktop icon by default. Are you talking about the icon in the Dock? It will temporarily appear when you are running Firefox, but if you want it to stay there you should drag it to a permanent dock position or right-click it and choose "Keep in Dock."

If you want a desktop shortcut you'd have to make one (Command-Option-drag the icon to the desktop). Once done, that should stay.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    gus, my phone just died too. $20 at WallyMart for a go-phone and swap my SIM into it and I'm back in business :D Not cool or top-shelf as far as style or functionalty, but it was easy and cheap (a good thing when jobless).
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    oh, and spotlight's in the top-right corner of your screen - the magnifying glass in the blue dot.

or Command-Space.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    StevenV wrote:
    oh, and spotlight's in the top-right corner of your screen - the magnifying glass in the blue dot.

or Command-Space.
    tks..i found that...it didnt have the word spotlight on or near it. Now i just need to find 'disk image' ive used spotlight in the HD & cant see it anywhere headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    gus wrote:
    tks..i found that...it didnt have the word spotlight on or near it. Now i just need to find 'disk image' ive used spotlight in the HD & cant see it anywhere headscratch.gif
    You're not actually searching for 'disk image' are you? Search for 'firefox' instead if you are.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You're not actually searching for 'disk image' are you? Search for 'firefox' instead if you are.
    I know where fire fox is...i read it as to search for disk image & if you go back over everything you can see these words..anyway i know now thats not what to do.

Im having hells time trying sort this crap. I will get it but it may take me a bit. This is where PC is better imo...unzip & all is fine.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I know where fire fox is...i read it as to search for disk image & if you go back over everything you can see these words..anyway i know now thats not what to do.

Im having hells time trying sort this crap. I will get it but it may take me a bit. This is where PC is better imo...unzip & all is fine.
    I think what they're saying is to find the firefox disk image. It should be named something like firefox 2.0.dmg or something like that. The thought is that you may be running firefox straight from the disk image.

I had troubles with this kind of thing when I switched. It's just a different way of doing things than on the PC. I don't really like the fact that there are multiple ways of installing things on the Mac. Some programs like photoshop you double click and a program installer pops up. Some programs like firefox you have to double click the disk image, it pops up with an icon that if you double click, will work just fine. But for those ones, that doesn't actually install the program it just runs it right from the disk image. You have to actually drag that icon from the disk image to your applications folder to install it on your system. Those are two completely different ways to install programs and it's confusing IMO.

Anyhow, that could be part of the confusion. It's tough to say since none of us are there to see what's going on.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    But for those ones, that doesn't actually install the program it just runs it right from the disk image. You have to actually drag that icon from the disk image to your applications folder to install it on your system. ...Anyhow, that could be part of the confusion. It's tough to say since none of us are there to see what's going on.

According to the Mozilla link I posted earlier, Firefox is one of these.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 30, 2008
    gus wrote:

House call? (visitors are all gone, back to boring old life)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    file comparison tools
    So what is everyones favorite file comparison tool for the mac?

I spent a bit of time this weekend pulling some old images off of my old PC (which I haven't started up in nearly a year). Now I have some 100GB of raw, jpeg and psd files and I'm not sure what is what.

What would be REALLY great is if someone knows of a tool that will tell you that a given jpeg was generated from a given raw file with out me having to actually visually inspect the two files.

In the PC world I use a tool called Beyond Compare that is amazing.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    So what is everyones favorite file comparison tool for the mac?

I spent a bit of time this weekend pulling some old images off of my old PC (which I haven't started up in nearly a year). Now I have some 100GB of raw, jpeg and psd files and I'm not sure what is what.

What would be REALLY great is if someone knows of a tool that will tell you that a given jpeg was generated from a given raw file with out me having to actually visually inspect the two files.

I don't have a specific recommendation, but you can always search versiontracker.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't have a specific recommendation, but you can always search versiontracker.com.

Thanks David. There are a plenty of options to try out there.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Why not dub your fies to a DVD and run Beyond Compare on a PC?

I've used BC and I've never heard of anything comparable in the Mac world for it. In defense of Macs; when I was a Mac user, I didn't have a need for file comparison.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Why not dub your fies to a DVD and run Beyond Compare on a PC?

I've used BC and I've never heard of anything comparable in the Mac world for it. In defense of Macs; when I was a Mac user, I didn't have a need for file comparison.
    I would do that except that I have 3 hard drives to compare each with between 120Gb and 180Gb in image related files.

I might try networking the mac and pc again and seeing if I can run BC from the PC to compare Mac drives, but I'm not too optimistic about that. What I really need to do is some seriously culling of all of those bad photos, I bet I could get myself down to a DVDs worth of files once I delete the bad ones. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes
    Andrew

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I would do that except that I have 3 hard drives to compare each with between 120Gb and 180Gb in image related files.

I might try networking the mac and pc again and seeing if I can run BC from the PC to compare Mac drives, but I'm not too optimistic about that. What I really need to do is some seriously culling of all of those bad photos, I bet I could get myself down to a DVDs worth of files once I delete the bad ones. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes
    Sorry, I misread your total file sizes. I'd never recommend a DVD for anything over 10GB. I hate DVD's anyway, but they can be useful.

Is a 500GB external possible? Or is that just not practical for you needs?

If not, good luck finding something Mac for your needs.

Best,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    not sure what is what.

What would be REALLY great is if someone knows of a tool that will tell you that a given jpeg was generated from a given raw file with out me having to actually visually inspect the two file

Does OS-X support a folder view that includes the EXIF date/time of a pic as a column? If you have your raws and jpgs in the same folder, you could sort on that column. Ties are possible if you are shooting in burst mode, but unless you are doing that all the time, there probably will be few enough so that you can figure that out manually.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    greenpea wrote:

I know this won't help fix this, but the above problem is why I keep an image's base file name consistent forever. I only change the end of the filename to distinguish different outputs. This means Raw and JPEG images always sort themselves together when listed by name.

Beyond Compare looks better than anything I've seen on the Mac!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Apple is getting hit from all sides on their color claims for their monitors. Sounds like they could have done a better job of telling the truth.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Apple is getting hit from all sides on their color claims for their monitors. Sounds like they could have done a better job of telling the truth.
    All this time I thought it was my photography that was bad, but it turns out it was just my MBP screen. rolleyes1.gif Guess its time to buy a cinema display, at least they're all S-IPS panels (at least according to this site).
    Andrew

• Options
    TriggerHappyTriggerHappy Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2008
    video work flow on a mac
    Hi all,

I'm having trouble uploading videos to my smugmug site from my mac, and am wondering what works well for other people? What software are people using to capture video and edit and upload to smugmug?

I'm using iMovie HD to capture from my Sony HDV camera. I edit in full HD res and then export to quicktime, web size. Quicktime movie plays fine on my mac, but after uploading using the latest MacDaddy uploader, the audio is garbled for the first 2 seconds, and then silence.

Is anyone successfully using iMovie HD? Is anyone using Quicktime Pro? I just need basic editing so Final Cut Pro is too much for me.

Cheers,
    Sheila
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Hi all,

I'm having trouble uploading videos to my smugmug site from my mac, and am wondering what works well for other people? What software are people using to capture video and edit and upload to smugmug?

I'm using iMovie HD to capture from my Sony HDV camera. I edit in full HD res and then export to quicktime, web size. Quicktime movie plays fine on my mac, but after uploading using the latest MacDaddy uploader, the audio is garbled for the first 2 seconds, and then silence.

Is anyone successfully using iMovie HD? Is anyone using Quicktime Pro? I just need basic editing so Final Cut Pro is too much for me.

Cheers,
    Sheila

Sheila, your best bet is to make a post in this thread. It's where all the video geeks hang out. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    TriggerHappyTriggerHappy Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sheila, your best bet is to make a post in this thread. It's where all the video geeks hang out. thumb.gif

Thanks, I'll try there. clap.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Why? The 15 travels more nicely clap.gif

That is the reason I got my 15" with the 17" processing power :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Andrew

• Options
    BigBadBillBigBadBill Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    MacBook Air
    That was awesome. Now I want to see someone get that thru security at the airport! :D

Big Bad Bill (I really want to take good pictures!)
    http://william1034.smugmug.com/
    greenpea wrote: