Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Give us a break, Gus! Next you'll be telling us you used to have that film stuff in your camera, but that it made you the man you are today! :D
    I even had an Amiga ! Back in the days of the spice harvesters & larry the lounge lizard.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I even had an Amiga!
    I was a Timex man, myself! mwink.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Man you ppl are OLD!!rolleyes1.gif

Guess they were wrong about the old dog new tricks thing..
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Man you ppl are OLD!!rolleyes1.gif

Guess they were wrong about the old dog new tricks thing..
    I wouldn't go that far. Try to teach Gus RAW. :hide
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Don't be so sure! Absolutely anything is possible!
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Hey im even masking with layers these days !!

very very slowly.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    i used to have a digital watch, back when they were called digital watches.

somebody asked where the non-allinone desktop Mac is.
    try http://www.apple.com/macpro/ or http://www.apple.com/macmini/
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Tips to fixing an Apple in South America?

A friend of mine's MBPro went kaput in Cusco, Peru. She didn't pack system install disks with her. From an email I think it's either her HDD is gone, but may be repairable, or she just needs a clean install of the OS. Again, she has not the system disks or anyone else around with a disk image. Apparently any local computer types look at her mac like it's a space ship. She's not super-savvy with the machine.

Fortunately for my amiga she has managed to back up all her shots from 3 or 4 months of traveling, including the Antarctic. So it could be worse!

Any tips/advice for Canon shooter Mac-less in Cusco?

gracias
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:

A friend of mine's MBPro went kaput in Cusco, Peru. She didn't pack system install disks with her. From an email I think it's either her HDD is gone, but may be repairable, or she just needs a clean install of the OS. Again, she has not the system disks or anyone else around with a disk image. Apparently any local computer types look at her mac like it's a space ship. She's not super-savvy with the machine.

Fortunately for my amiga she has managed to back up all her shots from 3 or 4 months of traveling, including the Antarctic. So it could be worse!

gracias

What are the symptoms? Kaput is not enough information! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:

gracias

http://www.apple.com/support/country/
    http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

Looks like there is no phone support for "Latin America" Brazil or Mexico only.
    Travis
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    From an email I think it's either her HDD is gone, but may be repairable, or she just needs a clean install of the OS. Again, she has not the system disks or anyone else around with a disk image.

If possible have her describe exactly what is not working and exactly how it is not working (can she boot, does it go through startup process, does it reach login window, can she log in, does it reach the desktop, etc. etc.) Then maybe some of us might be able to suggest a few things to do that don't require install disks, like zapping the PRAM or running fsck in single-user mode.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Get Back to Your Mac Without Paying for .Mac
    Lifehacker blog post.

http://lifehacker.com/365673/get-back-to-your-mac-without-paying-for-it
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    ... or the security
    SloYerRoll wrote:

While there are those with (valid) security concerns over how Back to My Mac works, Apple at least tries to do the right thing. They even go to lengths to make it secure. This set of directions just throws all security concerns out the window!! eek7.gif Anyone that follows these is just asking to be 0wn3d.

Where's my "run away" smiley when I need it?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    While there are those with (valid) security concerns over how Back to My Mac works, Apple at least tries to do the right thing. They even go to lengths to make it secure. This set of directions just throws all security concerns out the window!! eek7.gif Anyone that follows these is just asking to be 0wn3d.

Jsut posting cuz it was interesting. :D
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    cabbey wrote:

Possibly more secure option, my sys admin at work showed me how to do the pc to mac (or mac to mac) thing running vine server on the mac and on the pc using the free client from Real VNC. Only required openning port 5900 on the mac and there appears to be an option to encrypt the connection.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Possibly more secure option, my sys admin at work showed me how to do the pc to mac (or mac to mac) thing running vine server on the mac and on the pc using the free client from Real VNC. Only required openning port 5900 on the mac and there appears to be an option to encrypt the connection.

As far as I know the encryption options built into various vnc offerings are all non-free. If you want a free option, an ssh tunnel is the traditional method. (this same ssh session can also get you encrypted afp support to get remote filesystem support.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Has anyone tried this as a secure remote solution?
    LogMeIn Free
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Has anyone tried this as a secure remote solution?
    LogMeIn Free

Use Logmein Free all the time, on 6 computers. works great. There is also a Hamachi version that offers vpn tunneling, in case you have firewall issues at work.

Note my experience is with Windows, but I have controlled my Dad's iMac from my PC with this. Also the Hamachi version on Mac is not as good a user experience, it uses cmd line/console from what I understand.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    So i needed a fix. I downloaded a mac sample of colin mcrae rally game. It didnt play it as well as i expected for a modern imac with 2 xram.

Anyway now every time i mouse over my mail..safari or dashboard bar...they simply disappear when the mouse is directly over them.

Time to delete the game & reboot ?

** EDIT : sorted
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Safari keeps crashing on ebay & ebay only. been looking around the net for a fix & saw this suggested ..webkit nightly rebuilds. What is it & is it safe ?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Safari keeps crashing on ebay & ebay only. been looking around the net for a fix & saw this suggested ..webkit nightly rebuilds. What is it & is it safe ?
    Webkit is the engine under Safari's hood. Those builds are just proof that programmers are actually doing something during the day. They may be a smidge buggy from time to time and are really only intended for developers and stuff. Those bugs could possibly include security holes, so if you're thinking of heading off into the internet outback, you may want to use something with a little more testing.

That said, you'll probably be okay using the nightlies to browse ebay and other well known sites. Or you can download firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/) or one of the various other browsers to do your ebaying.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    That said, you'll probably be okay using the nightlies to browse ebay and other well known sites. Or you can download firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/) or one of the various other browsers to do your ebaying.

Yabbut what are the chances that they are really going to help? Isn't it infinitely more likely that the cause of the problem is something else, altogether?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Webkit is the engine under Safari's hood. Those builds are just proof that programmers are actually doing something during the day. They may be a smidge buggy from time to time and are really only intended for developers and stuff. Those bugs could possibly include security holes, so if you're thinking of heading off into the internet outback, you may want to use something with a little more testing.

Ok tks i will try it.

Its apparently a rather common issue from googling. I do not want firefox as safari should be well capable of doing what its supposed to do.

Next question though

A good friend has also seen the light and has come from Pc to mac. He subscribes to this site to watch the soccer back in Scotland but he cant see it on the new mac ( 2 weeks old imac)

Now i can see the videos fine on my new imac. The site does say that mac is not supported.

What do i have that he does not on identical macs ?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Any MacBook Air owners out there? This is just stupid.

MacBook Air stumps TSA Agents
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Ok tks i will try it.

Its apparently a rather common issue from googling. I do not want firefox as safari should be well capable of doing what its supposed to do.

Next question though

A good friend has also seen the light and has come from Pc to mac. He subscribes to this site to watch the soccer back in Scotland but he cant see it on the new mac ( 2 weeks old imac)

Now i can see the videos fine on my new imac. The site does say that mac is not supported.

What do i have that he does not on identical macs ?
    do you have flip4mac installed (basically lets you watch windows media files)? I might have suggested it straight away when you got your imac, don't remember though.

other than that, could just be your ISP is better? although I'm betting it worked fine from the same place with his old PC?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    do you have flip4mac installed (basically lets you watch windows media files)?
    Thats it...top green one isnt it ?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yabbut what are the chances that they are really going to help? Isn't it infinitely more likely that the cause of the problem is something else, altogether?
    infinitely? ne_nau.gif I know a little bit about infinity, but I'm not sure how the concept applies here.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Ok tks i will try it.

Um, I think it's not a good idea for you to try to use daily builds. They are going to behave differently from day to day, and even if they don't screw up they will be unpredictable and drive you nuts. Better to focus on getting the production version of Safari to work for you and if that isn't possible, use the production version of Firefox instead.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    yeah, thats it. Did you already have it? It would show up in your System Preferences pane, not under applications.

20080318-q6p4chycg3tbxnkff7x76htjaa.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]